Home General Discussion

Maya LT

Replies

• antweiler
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    Mayas 3D Painting is very rudymentary, but quite useful and stable, for example for painting masks etc. I wonder if they have fixed the bug, where the brush cursor doesnt work when doing projection paintning, but i seem to be the only person in the world who cares about that...
  • bhall27
    So I had forgotten about the 3D Painting - I've used it in the past, not very fleshed out of a tool. I did have a friend suggest mudbox since I guess that's got a nice feature set there for 3d painting. Although I'm a zbrush guy so I'd probably use mudbox just to do my texturing if that was the case. Would be nice just to have that feature in LT tho.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    bhall, also look into Substance Painter. I'm evaluating Mudbox and Substance now-although I already own Painter so I guess I'm testing to see if Mudbox has something Substance doesn't
  • bhall27
    bhall, also look into Substance Painter. I'm evaluating Mudbox and Substance now-although I already own Painter so I guess I'm testing to see if Mudbox has something Substance doesn't

awesome thanks, I'll check it out! Most of my stuff is very stylized, handpainted stuff, I have a copy at work that I'm going to test before I sign up for a sub at home, 10 bucks a month isn't bad for Mudbox...so we'll see.

Will check that out tho, thanks!
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    3dcoat is nice too
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    10 bucks a month ain't bad at all, I like that its texture painting features are known to be good.

I really really like zbrush's dynamesh though...
  • dongyfeng
    Offline / Send Message
    dongyfeng polycounter lvl 6
    Heard from facebook: Maya LT special offer: get 15 months of license plan for $240 ($16/mo)
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    Id rather see some added functionality put back in as voted for in the maya lt suggestions than a price drop tbh. Its nice though.
  • Gigantoad
    Offline / Send Message
    Gigantoad polycounter lvl 5
    No price drop in Europe. With current exchange rate it would be $324 for 12 months.
  • nervouschimp
    Offline / Send Message
    nervouschimp polycounter lvl 4
    Looks like Extension 2 dropped today. I just re-subbed on steam for another month to give it another go. Finally has send to Unreal. I think it is really close to acheiving the right balance of price/power if you buy a year sub at the current deal of 15mo for the price of 12mo.
  • dongyfeng
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really happy with 2015 Extension 1 and 2:
    1. Set Driven Keys was put back, which is really helpful for rigging.
    2. Send to UE4 and Mudbox were implemented.
    3. Modeling toolkit was integrated way better than it was in 2014.
    4. Game Exporter.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I've been giving it a test drive w/o the extensions and it does everything I need it to. Well done Autodesk-Python Support would be nice but I do understand keeping it strictly to Mel. Subbing in the next couple of days
  • Thomas P.
    Offline / Send Message
    Thomas P. polycounter lvl 14
    That's a nice update to Maya LT! Extension 2 brings some useful updates as others mentioned already. Having color management features is also welcome. I would still love to see some viewport navigation changes/additions however. Overall I am very happy with Maya LT.
  • dongyfeng
    Offline / Send Message
    The next top items on my wishlist are:
    1. Python (UE4 Rigging and Animation Toolkit as well as other Python plugins)
    2. Bring back some animation features like Animation Layers, etc.
    3. Create Reference/Reference Editor
    4. GoZ
  • joarwho
    Offline / Send Message
    joarwho polycounter lvl 5
    dongyfeng wrote: »
    The next top items on my wishlist are:
    2. Bring back some animation features like Animation Layers, etc.
    This! Animation layers is a pretty important part of my workflow. Spline IK and Spring IK would also be nice to have though.
  • Visum
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    A lot of useful Python scripts for maya and would be nice to get them running on LT.
  • tach
    I was wondering if anyone would be so kind to test if this MEL script works for them in Maya LT: http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/dora-skinweight-import-export/

It's a script to export/import skin weights and it's giving me an issue constantly where it won't save the exported file no matter what. Thank you in advance.
  • dongyfeng
    Offline / Send Message
    tach, Autodesk didn't want you to export high poly models (above 65,000 polys) by using MEL script, so they blocked the regular file output API in Maya LT. This has caused a lot of MEL scripts not working in Maya LT. But there is an workaround: you need to modify the MEL script yourself by using their new API: fwriteAllLines or fwriteAllText.

I don't understand why they still put poly count limit in Maya LT, as there are already a lot of ways to work around it: export to a game engine, export to Mudbox, etc.
  • tach
    Oh! Thank you for the answer.
  • CJE
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    So what is the general verdict on Maya LT at this stage? I'm currently subbed to Max 2015 for $220 /month, but Maya LT seems to have a pretty robust feature set for a fraction of the cost...

I'm really only using the modeling and texture baking tools in Max.

Would I run into any significant limitations if I switched to Maya LT?

From what I've read there are some issues with comparability with the big brother programs, Maya/Max.

I frequently need to submit max/maya files for freelance work.
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    CJE wrote: »
    So what is the general verdict on Maya LT at this stage? I'm currently subbed to Max 2015 for $220 /month, but Maya LT seems to have a pretty robust feature set for a fraction of the cost...

I'm really only using the modeling and texture baking tools in Max.

Would I run into any significant limitations if I switched to Maya LT?

I find the biggest limitation for game art is the export limit on high poly models. You can import them but not export them. This means you have to use workarounds if you want to export for texture baking in xnormal or substance designer.

Otherwise it's pretty good. If you've used maya it's definitely worth a look.
  • CJE
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    I find the biggest limitation for game art is that it won't let you export a high poly model from LT. You can import them but not export them. This means you have to use workarounds if you want to export for texture baking in xnormal or substance designer.

Otherwise it's pretty good. If you've used maya it's definitely worth a look.

Can you not bake your normal maps/AO directly in Maya LT?

Hmmm, I wonder if GoZ works with Maya LT...
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Can you not bake your normal maps/AO directly in Maya LT?

Hmmm, I wonder if GoZ works with Maya LT...

yes you can bake normal maps in maya LT if you want.

http://youtu.be/SKMkgjK5fC0

GoZ does not work - but you can definitely export a fairly highpoly model which you can use as a base for a zbrush model.
  • CJE
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Can Maya Lt open full Maya files and vice versa? Obj import./export?
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Can Maya Lt open full Maya files and vice versa? Obj import./export?

You can import OBJ files, FBX, and open Maya files. You can export FBX and obj.

However you can't import or export OBJ or FBX that's larger than 65k polygons without doing special things. You can import a high polygon maya file.
  • Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Also, 65k polygons means QUADS, not tris. You can export a model with 130k tris. That limit coincides with engines like Unity and Unreal, which wont let you import a static mesh of higher density than that by default.
  • CJE
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Hmm, still seems like an odd limitation.

The biggest issue I see is not being able to save as a native .ma file and instead having the .mlt. Basically makes it useless for me as I usually am required to submit scene files in either .ma or .max with a specific scene setup/layers.

I suppose you could export everything to .fbx, but that isn't always what's requested.

If not for that and the odd poly limitation I would probably try it out, as I really don't use the entire max feature set, just the modeling tools. Although I would miss the good ol' modifier stack.
  • joarwho
    Offline / Send Message
    I have had my eyes on Maya LT for a long time now, but I just realized that there's no plugin-support whatsoever. Rigging characters without plugins is way too time consuming. Anyone know if Autodesk are planning on adding plugin-support anytime soon?
  • dongyfeng
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you not bake your normal maps/AO directly in Maya LT?.

You can bake normal maps/AO inside Maya LT, however cage baking is not supported. :poly127:
  • dongyfeng
    Offline / Send Message
    What plugins are you needing for rigging?
    Setup Machine for Games, UE4 Rigging and Animation Toolkit, AnimSchool Picker, etc.
  • CJE
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Downloaded the demo of Maya LT and realizing how much I don't want to learn a new modeling program lol. Also looking at the MODO Indie that just came out, but it seems like Maya LT has less restrictions overall if your just modeling.
  • bhall27
    Hi everyone,

Trying to troubleshoot an issues so I thought I'd come here.

Is there a way to export animation control curves (NOT ANIMATION CURVES) using FBX?

I'm trying to get a model/animation/rig I did in Maya LT out into the full version of Maya as I'm not using LT anymore.

Not sure if there are any specific settings to get that to work with the FBX exporter. I've tried doing a google search with no results.

Thanks again,

B.
  • joarwho
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still disappointed that I (as a indie dev) can't use this software. Rigging with out plugins is really time consuming for indie developers. No plugin support is such a slap in the face since people can't use stuff like The Setup Machine, UE4 A.R.T, AnimSchool Picker and Red9 Studio Tools. I really wish Autodesk would realize that the third party plugin support is a essential for Maya.