Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Planar Anatomy Study

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
Bolovorix ngon master
Hey Polycount,

I'm starting a new character and I figured I'd take the time to do some more anatomy studying. So while I'm working on my base mesh I'm going to be doing some planar studying of the female figure. This is inspired by George Bridgeman's constructive anatomy.

I'm mostly concerned with the planes and landmarks of the female figure. I don't intend to block out the muscles, however, I like to block some of them out in order to fully understand the planes.

I'm drawing reference from sources such as:
Anatomy4Sculptors
George Bridgeman
Rafael Grassetti
Ryan Kingslien's ecorche in Zbrush
Various Tumblr photography sites
Anatomy books that I own

Polycount_02.jpg

Replies

• Wubberman
    Offline / Send Message
    Wubberman polycounter lvl 6
    Looks like this is off to a good start, really interested to see where it goes!
  • Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master
    Thanks Wubberman, I'm pretty excited myself.
  • Wubberman
    Offline / Send Message
    Wubberman polycounter lvl 6
    My pleasure!

Those references you posted look really helpful too! I'm looking at starting some character work as well and those will be really great to help set up base meshes.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Just wanted to say:

You cool for doing this. Refreshing to see someone tackle their anatomy at this stage.
  • Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master
    Hey Brian,
    Thanks a lot, I'm always amazed at what I forget in between projects, and it's nice to refresh my memory and even learn new things.

Wubberman,
    Glad you like some of those resources. They've been a tremendous help during my journey in learning anatomy.
  • Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master
    I've found some great references for this project with just a few searches. Figure I could use this thread to also post some useful resources that may be helpful.

While some of these aren't of the female figure, I figure that seeing other people's planar interpretations of the body could be very helpful.

Planes of the Head
    1390037480497.jpg

Philippe Faraut
    Philippe%20Faraut_01.jpg
    femaleplanes2_1.jpg
    male-planes-torso2.jpg
    male-planes-torso.jpg

I saw this posted by a fellow Polycounter but I couldn't find the original artist. If anyone knows who's work this is please let me know.
    VvencAP.jpg
  • Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master
    I got a little work done on the face last night. I think the nose needs to be raised up a little bit. Looking at it today it feels a little too long.

Planar_Female_04.jpg[/URL

Planar_Female_05.jpg
  • taotang
    Offline / Send Message
    taotang polycounter lvl 5
    I like the way you dealing with the form
  • Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master
    Thanks Taotan, I'm learning a lot and I'm really enjoying this method of working on my anatomy.

Still a lot of work to do, but I'm liking the results I'm getting, and I'm definitely increasing my understanding of the musculature.

Here's my latest progress shots.

Planar_Female_11.jpg

Planar_Female_12.jpg
  • Edrice
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    That's a great project your working on. This maybe intentional but I think you're going to cartoony with the proportions, it's fine since you can have something anatomically correct with cartoon proportions. But if it's not intended her head is way too small, and the features of her face are a little small as well. If it's on purpose than fine, if not have a look at scanned models from http://www.3dscanstore.com/, you'll get a great refs for proportions.
  • KurtR
    Offline / Send Message
    KurtR polycounter lvl 7
    Very inspiring and some good links. thanks for those! When it comes to ecorche, since you mentioned it and Rafael Grasseti ... If you get his anatomy pack off gumroad there's a really good one he provides you can drop directly into zbrush. Gonna keep an eye on this thread as you progress.
  • Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master
    Thanks a lot, I appreciate it the feedback!

Edrice, I intend on having some cartoony proportions but I think even then you're right about the head being too small. I've been working on some head studies in order to get more comfortable sculpting the planes, and also to get better with more realistic proportions.
    That link is awesome, by the way, those are fantastic scans!

KurtR, Glad you liked the links! They've helped me a lot. I'll have to throw that ecorche into Zbrush and take a look at it. Those videos have been extremely helpful. I've had them on repeat for a couple days now

Like I said I've been doing some head studies and this one is from last night. It turned out pretty decent so I figured I'd throw it up here. I'm really learning a lot with these studies.

speeeed_01.jpg
  • nickcomeau
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Hey!

So to start I really love the style that you're going with for this and I think it is a good way to show off some anatomical knowledge.

That being said, there are a few things that seem off about this last piece that you created. The two big issues I see are the Zygomatic Process and the Nasalabial fold. The Zygomatic Process that you have goes down a bit too far, which in tern makes the bags under the eyes very large and go down further than they should. The nasalabial fold that you have around the mouth should curve up above the nostrals.

(this may help explain what I mean a bit better. It's pretty rough but I think it'll help get my point across)

XkKd9mA.png
  • Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master
    Hey Nick, thanks for pointing that out! I made a quick adjustment and moved it up and it feels a lot better to me.

I'm going to keep doing these studies and I'm curious to see if I can capture some likeness to some actresses with just the planes of the face. If nothing else, it's just more practice.

speeeed_04.jpg
  • nickcomeau
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Looks better to me too. And that sounds like a great exercise, good luck and post often! :)
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Bolovorix wrote: »
    I saw this posted by a fellow Polycounter but I couldn't find the original artist. If anyone knows who's work this is please let me know.
    VvencAP.jpg
    Ah, this is the old planar head I did back in 2013. Glad it could be of use to you! :)
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Just found this thread
    I realised that I use many of these pictures when I'm sculpting!
    Thank you for some awesome inspiration :D