Homeā€ŗ 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

BagelHero's 2D Improvement Thread (2017~2021 Recap)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
BagelHero interpolator

LATEST

Artstation

Sorry for any broken images or weird loading in this thread, it's... hard to keep this thread maintained. Id like to do another recap that covers the break in posts though.

---

Because as I was learning to sculpt, I forgot how to draw. :poly136:

I'm frustrated. I feel like I'm stuck with my 2D, and it's super demotivating. I don't know where to go after sketching something out and I haven't done any finished pieces in months, all my concept work for myself has been rough sketches and nothing more.

The plan is to pick up some recent sketches and try to take them through to a stage where I feel they're kind of "finished", instead of sitting in unpolished limbo. I always get stuck making an attempt to work through the anguish and hate for the piece when I look at it and it's not where I feel it should be.

Crits would be incredible. I'd seriously appreciate anyone taking some time out of their day to tell me what's up. Suggestions on how to get past the feeling that there's no point working on a piece because it will never be good enough would be appreciated too.

Blah blah blah, I talk too much, here's art.

JSlsHMIxpng

For reference, I started from this sketch I've been pushing myself to do something with for a few weeks:
http://i.imgbox.com/W7NYy2dr.png
http://i.imgbox.com/EKkuWQhS.png

(Side note, not going to be able to dedicate a huge chunk of my time on this until after Petrol/Blood, but at the point when that's finished I'm going to schedule my work out so it's about half/half portfolio pieces to furthering skills, and working my 2D back up to scratch is the first thing on the "skills" list.)

Replies

• BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Forced myself to start the foliage after cleaning up a bunch of other problems.
    KJYiaMxi.png
  • grimmrobe
    Offline / Send Message
    grimmrobe polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Bagelhero.

You seem really down about your artwork! You should turn that around, every image you make will be moving you forward & the one you posted above is well on its way.

I think you maybe need to reconsider what 'good enough' means. When I ask myself that question it is more to do with 'Have I learn't something doing this image', 'Have I studied something and executed it better than I have before' I think if you hang all your hopes on every image becoming a flawless portfolio piece you'll strangle yourself.

I don't think you have a million miles to go on the image you posted. Maybe work on the rocks and the foliage, and tidy up your rendering a little on the body. Maybe re-look at the anatomy on her left arm. Try pushing your values on the rocks a little. I think if you include some blue-ish shadows around it could make thing pop a little more.

Regarding the level of 'polish' or 'finished-ness', and this may be a personal thing, but I put that down more to is the image communicating everything that I need it to, rather than is it rendered in 100% detail all over.

- J
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    grimmrobe
    Thanks for the encouragement. Giving "good enough" a good think over might be a good idea.
    I'll be giving the rendering a once over, and I'll push and pull some values while I'm at it.

Two Listen
    hit me up outside of the thread and gave me some awesome crit and direction, as such I've re-thought the colors and composition.

9hv57akQ.png

Not perfect by any means (and I really, really need to fix her right boob, it is glaring at me), but I think this piece has almost served its purpose. Once I push myself with rendering, I'm gonna call it "done".
    I've figured out that I need to pay attention rather than become complacent with how things are. That was it, really. Well, that, and I need to do some material studies, lol.

Going to pick something that doesn't need a full re-working for my next painting, I think. I can see a lot wrong with this, but I'd be better off starting from scratch with all of its problems in mind, than trying to keep working it when it's kind of fundamentally broken.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Nice job on the color tweaks, I was surprised scrolling down to see how much they helped things pop.

I'm interested to see what more you do with this one, but also don't think it's a bad idea to leave it for awhile and try to start something else. It can be a lot of fun to work on a painting, run away with what you've learned from it, and then come back a ways down the line and redo it. Makes for a nice way to see your progress. :)

Keep going and good luck. :thumbup:
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Two Listen
    Thanks. :)

Possibly too purple now, but I am considering this done. I'll re-visit it one day.
    efT4AXMK.png

Onto the next thing (unless someone really insists otherwise)!
    ...After cramming for Petrol/Blood because I am 2 weeks behind schedule. Yeah. Whoo.
  • grimmrobe
    Offline / Send Message
    grimmrobe polycounter lvl 9
  • Defunct
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10
    I feel exactly like you right now. I get frustrated and can't finish anything at all. I read a quote somewhere that said something like "If you want better results fail twice as much" or something like that. So that frustration is just part of becoming a better artist.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    grimmrobe
    Hey, thanks man. :)
    Defunct
    Yeah, just gotta work through it.

EDIT: of course as soon as I post it I see all the errors I quickly edited some of them out:
    nzxvwiPN.png
    Old one: http://i.imgbox.com/2dw0VG8h.png

Quick sketch for today, no projects or anything right now. Still recovering from doing a 30-something hour stint on my PETROL/BLOOD submission, only to find out DDO wouldn't work on my comp. So it's nice to just do something small. I'll try to start a new 2D project sometime towards the end of the week.
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I really like that, has a lot of personality.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    skylebones
    Hey, thanks. :)

y7d4cwsv.png
    I do not know what I'm doing. But this is my next project. Having a little trouble finding direction, and I'm just kinda futzing about right now. Might go and design the guy in the picture and come back to it, because I didn't think it out too much and I'm regretting it.

As per usual, C&C, opinions, feedback in general would be appreciated, though not sure if there's much to be said at this point. I'm posting largely in part so I don't give up on it. :poly142:
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    dude don't give up, ever, it would be a shame cause you are doing great. Just push on one aspect of art at a time, for now I would suggestion checking the contrast, I've done a paintover which literally took me 30 seconds so you arn't far away from a compelling image :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/29brg42kj1vr0ja/constrast.png?dl=0

Play with the values/light to put empasis on a part of the painting, in this case the face, which was nicely done.

Also, the contrast could be pushed just a bit more to make the image pop out.

A suggestion would be to look at really bad ass art, for example; blizzard official art, and study them. Focus on what is making them successful and apply that to you art. One step at a time.

Good luck
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    wizo
    Thanks! I have no intentions of giving up, really, I just struggle with finishing separate pieces. Thank you, again, for the paintover. I don't know what's up with my eye for contrast right now, but I'll make sure to fix it for future paintings, and I'll do a little more pushing for this one before I put it up anywhere.

I'll definitely study some more art, too. :)

Slugging along slowly, trying to add more context because 9/10 I draw people floating in blank space.
    xMXHqcPL.png

Pretty obvious I didn't work at all on the main figure, because I did end up getting lost like I thought I would. Did a super quick concept to make sure I know where I'm going.
    SvIGob87.png
  • JunkieKong
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Stick at it man, you got some skills. I really like that portrait (seriously good) - I don't think it needs to be taken any further than it already is. But I totally get where you are coming from, doing a polished piece can be a big commitment and seeing it through to the end can be a beyotch. Sometimes you just gotta nut up.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    JunkieKong
    Thanks, man, it means a lot. Trying my best to just push through.

GNsnCyPV.png
    Okay, so. I did a pass over this specifically to try and stop my values being shite and flat, and added in the sketch for the new design + started his face before my tablet driver conked out. I'll do some more tomorrow. :)
  • Stinkhorse
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    These have been a joy to watch come together!
  • negiman
    Hiļ¼Œ I got the same problem as you do. And it frustrated me lots of times . But then I've figured out the connection between sculpting and drawing .I block things at the first , trying to find out the exact shapes , then I add some color to it . After all this , add environmental and lighting informations. It is pretty the same progress but without worrying about 3 dimensional stuffs. Try to think that you're looking through a window , that window will be your canvas .

By the way ,you are doing great ,keep going on~
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I may have lost my way on the last one. A month later, and I've not really worked on it at all-- It's just got me stumped. I don't know where to start when I open it. So, uh, here's something else. Lady was shoved in there just now, background is just to get an idea across, haven't done any proper perspective or anything yet.

3pzD0jlj.png

Old version for reference

With this, I'm getting revved up to take on an old character project I started like... mid-year. About a week after I did my little cockroach character. I dropped him in favor of polishing the Roach instead because he was intended for a school assignment, but I'm picking him back up. I have a few illusts of him I'd like to redo and cleanup, so that'll probably weave in with this thread a bit as well. Hopefully, anyways.

I still need to finish my Crab guy project before I can really dig into this one, though. Discipline and all that...

Thanks for the encouragement, Stinkhorse &
    negiman. :)
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Procrastinating on everything because I feel like I'm stagnating again (self fulfilling prophecy much).

So I've not been drawing other than the doodles I do at work and for work, pushed myself during lunchbreak today to just do something that makes me happy and doesn't frustrate me; gesture drawing! Pretty rusty but hey, whatever. Beats trying to draw from my imagination right now.

3HZqvZli.png

Had some empty space, so I filled it with other random doodles. Also attempted some photoref heads and i am very bad at that apparently.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Question:
    How do you render metal? I just have no idea where to even start.
    gaVjNrnY.png
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Well, an attempt has been made.
    I'll probably be moving on to textures/patterns and a color pass next.
    0PDCKWkZ.png
  • nilknarf815
    Offline / Send Message
    nilknarf815 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey BagelHero, hope you don'y mind me doing a quick paint over of the first image of your thread.

I would say overall the old image seemed like the you wanted to paint a faun but ended up adding the background as an afterthought. I personally am trying to improve on this as well so what really helped me was to develop an idea/narrative/story that I would want to convey through the illustration.

Somethings I changed was the whole lighting scenario to give it more of a focal point. Your first image felt empty and spacious so to continue the framing element that you had I added a little more trees in the distance and two midground trees. For the story maybe instead of the faun staring at the user, I gave her bird to focus on instead.

Hope this helps, if not please disregard :P

wBq3L9V.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    No, no, thank you for putting in the time to pass on your thoughts! You're right on the mark, I drew a faun because I like doing that, then added more context later as an afterthought because I sorta liked how a floaty sketch turned out.

I have a history of doing sequential art as a hobby, so it's not like I don't know how to come up with a nice little scene or panel that tells a story through visual elements, but I do have a lot of trouble keeping that in mind as I sketch and paint for sketching and painting's sake. I tend to just draw whatever, then try to 'finish' that rather than try to craft an illustration properly. Maybe I might have more luck finishing those things if what I drew ever had a point. :/

I'll try to... uh, illustrate my illustrations more thoughtfully, I don't know why I think I can just pack my brain in my pocket when I paint. For right this moment, I'm retreating back into my comfort zone with the character design (where I can just draw a character posing in a room, and just focus on the rendering). I need a bit of a rest.

Thanks again.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    W8BWE0ej.jpg
    Aaaand, for the sake of my sanity, I want to say this is finished. However, I'm not really feeling the color schemes here (I ripped them from the last character I did in this 'series' since they're both intended to be 'NPC' archetypes), but she doesn't have the same civilian vibe so I'm going to go back and revise the colors to try and go for something a bit more iconic. Got some ideas already, and it shouldn't take too long. :)
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Did a quick session at on CAS, question.
    Though this is clearly still at a block out stage, does this still look like I just pasted a character on top of a scene? I think I might be starting to get a handle on where I'm going wrong so I'd like a confirmation.
    8Rdt3176.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    There's a few things that might make it feel like it's pasted in, like the difference in value ranges between your character and scene, no overlapping assets, and no real foreground closer than the character. Where she stands in the scene should have around the same value range, but she would still stand out over the lighter/darker background, you know?
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Avanthera
    Thanks for your input. Good things to think about and keep in mind.

cWS7qWr5.png
    I may as well just finish this one since I started it, rather than kinda just stopping. At least I'm not really stressing out about this one, it's just kinda relaxing.
  • PsychoDream
    I think the progression you've made just by looking at the last two posts speaks volumes in terms of your attention to your art as a whole. I actually really like the way you did your block-out for this particular piece and the lighting is pretty killer. Everything is really well structured which is important for a good foundation to any drawing. Keep up the good work! :)
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    PsychoDream
    Hey, thanks a bunch! Means a lot.

EdeOyRvU.png

Update. I changed a fair bit. If anything stands out as a stupid idea, feel free to call me out-- I am just experimenting. Also, questionable composition-- Is that light from the right the worst idea ever or no? I'm trying to balance out the mirror and candles... I might add more candles on the floor and on the pile of... whatever's on the right to explain the light source, now that I'm looking at it... And I might brighten the face up a little, too. >>;
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Still working on the other piece but I left all my favorite brush configurations for PS on the computer I had at work, so I've been frustrated painting recently. Doesn't help that I had an Intuos5 while I was there, back on a bamboo Pen&Touch now... :/

Ops8XY0H.jpg

I did a sketchy thing. The values are all weird and I don't like it very much (I might do a quick fix later). Bleh.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hey, Dado, not unfriendly at all and very welcome. Thanks for the kind words. I try to keep my chin up, just sometimes I slip back into old habits when I'm in a slump... I'll keep on it and stop putting myself down.

I wanted to do some more on this after reading your post, so I did. More concept/idea/lines for comfort and clarity. Apparently this is a Destiny fan character. Civilian class, NPC, Cult follower (but not the leader you would speak with when leveling/purchasing stuff with marks).
    K5bozuYH.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Looking to do something a bit less stylized character for a 3D project at some point soon. Just kind of doodling it out, wouldn't mind doing a late teens/early 20s girl...
    lAAhmqdj.png
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Dropped everything and left my new desktop at home to take a little "time off" to travel for a comic gig (so not really time off at all I suppose, but hey). All my 3D characters and big paintings are in limbo while I don't have the power to work on them/have other art to be doing.

I'll start up a thread for the comic stuff once I finish enough work to justify it and get the OK from my writer and our publisher, but until then here's some side stuff I did while I was high on motivation from working again:

hQjq7xGO.png
    latte_s_lazy_afternoon_by_bagelhero_works-d8ecjy3.png

:thumbup:
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    I really like these! Reminds me a lot of Jen Zee, maybe a bit more Leyendecker on the top one's rendering though.

Good luck with the comic work, looking forward to seeing it! :)
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    @Avanthera
    That's probably the nicest thing I've had said about my art like ever... to even be compared to Jen Zee and Leyendecker! Both huge inspirations for me, I'd suppose it shows haha. The top one actually is from a personal IP that is heavy on art deco/nouveau and Leyendecker era designs, so I'm glad it actually does show through.

Fixed up the contrast/lack of color/some of the shite rendering on the Faungirl.
    IDK what I was even thinking before.
    tumblr_na48ysqYpb1ri958ko1_r1_1280.jpg

Oh, and a new icon for my personal blogs and profiles:
    tumblr_static_eu2wn2reb9s80004840g00ow4.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    OK A Y wow

Did more revisions of things, but bare with me because the previous "final" of this was really starting to look like the base sketches I put together in for character designs (even though originally it took me 8+ hours) before I paint anything.
    The original was done on the 5th of May, 2014, and this one was done in two sessions between yesterday and today (1/2/2015-2/2/2015).
    bagelhero-cyberpunk-male-npc.jpg
    Put together a little before/after gif because why not
    tumblr_nj4y8syq4v1r7j16vo1_1280.gif
    Annoyed that I at some point combined some layers that included the background, so I couldn't make some value changes I would have liked to to make it match it's sister piece more-- and the colors are still weird. I'll probably tweak it again sometime soon and ninja switch all the uploads.
  • JamesArk
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Nailed that pose man, looks great.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    @James: Hey, thanks heaps! :)

Okay, so I'm doing a thing today-- absolute last minute. Could really use any feedback anyone can give as I go, I'll try to update as I move along. Going for late 1800s military meets fencing garb meets neo-victorian industrial tech (ala The Order: 1886).

Right now the back view looks super funky, and while I sort of know what areas are incorrect, I can't seem to fix it.
    54d427ace1685.png

(Figured I'd also mention that just recently I got some kind of weird art confidence boost. I blame some of that on Dado, but it's great because it means I actually do art and don't feel bad about it. 10/10 would recommend to anyone else.)
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Beep boop. Changed around some things, added the first pass of the outfit.
    54d443379ca43.png

Edit: Is it socially acceptable to update in separate posts this often? Regardless, I'll just edit this one in. Did the back version as well. Suddenly became extremely aware of this lady being a few too many heads tall, even for the graceful look I was going for... Will do some quick edits to fix that before I clean up the lines/start painting/draft up the props.
    54d45fdc325c6.png

Edit 2:
    54d46d75ce0fe.png

Draw the cape in the back view, put the cape over to the side so I can show the patterns on it. Also changed the proportions a tiny bit. Not familiar with Clip's transformation tools, so not entirely sure on the best way to change the body more dramatically, but I'm sure I'll figure something out, even if it's when I've finished painting and can combine the layers.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Small update: Cleaned some lines, unbroke her wrist, shuffled around the cape.
    54d47dae18279.png
    Somewhere along the way I lost the flow of the arm, so I'll try to push that again. Next up will probably be adding her face/hair blockout and redrawing the hand hidden behind her leg/cloak.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hey Dado, thanks a lot for the words!

I hope you can get yourself back up again soon. I'm familiar with the cycle, but it still seems like a bummer that sometimes it's more or less inevitable.

On the color of the previous guy (greyscale) I see what you mean. Using the Hue/Sat is a good idea! I'll try it out next time for sure.
    Just make sure to fix that bend calf in the front pose.
    Alright, you caught me. I'll fix it right away! It's a quirk from the original gesture sketch that I drew in and was kind of eying. I tried to fix it early on but lost the gesture a bit, but I'll try once more with feeling.
    ---
    Is this any better, or is it still too disjointed?
    (replaced image quickly after smoothing out a bump)
    54d4a30b819e1.png

I'm going to have to move it around again anyways, since the legs/feet have been different thicknesses for a while now, would be good to know if this was still not quite there.
    *Face is super WIP pls dont pay it any mind
  • Daew
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Bagel,

ok disclaimer I am no expert in clothing and I am tired :p

Also been watching all the ghost in the shell stuff. The way they handle clothing is inspiring (innocence), you should check it out if you have the chance.

dit: thinking about it, that long cloth could be in front of her hip depending on how far back her leg. But I dont think it will have the curve going in the direction you drew it

edit edit: and don't feel down with your work man you are putting out some rad stuff. (I know this cant be helped we all hate our own work at times.)

tumblr_njcmzax9601u4xoxco1_400.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hey Daew! Thanks for dropping in. :)

Now that you've pointed it out, I don't know how I could have thought otherwise! That cape should probably be behind her hip. I'll fix the folds, too, I was having some trouble there so thanks for the paintover! I'll change those ASAP (hopefully before bed).

The Cape is pretty clearly attached, though, even if my messy lines hide it a little. It's something like this (only done in more than 2 minutes)
    54d4ba444f788.png

What's going on in the right-center dude's belt is what's going on in the middle., only with a belt like the left-center dude's.
    1382545324-knights-lineup-front.jpg
    Also basically what's going on here, only the tassels are chopped off so no one grabs them.
    54d4b80d4df08.png

but I'll keep in mind that right now it doesn't read well and I'll make sure to tighten it when I get around to painting tomorrow. :)

will also keep fixing leg. Blergh. Leg.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Ah, thanks Dado, that's a big help. I think I see what you mean now (having fresh eyes after a good nights sleep helps).

At the moment, everything I do makes it more awkward, or if it doesn't it means starting over because it's basically a completely different pose. Because of this, I've kind of just moved on for now since I kind of need to get this more or less done today/very early tomorrow.
    I'll revisit them later (I've got a plan), and I did try, so there's that.

54d5e0ba95fb1.png

Getting ready to do some painting. Really wishing I had another monitor here so I could have my refs all the time (so tedious having to pull them up in front of stuff)...
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    *plops*
    54d5f5be8a24c.png

Potentially my last update for tonight. Woefully slow today, but that just means I gotta draw and paint more until I'm entirely comfortable. >:T

Edit: Managed to escape a family dinner, kept going:
    54d60f6fac8aa.png
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, Dado. I'll be able to fix it tomorrow for sure, now. :)

54d629000c8eb.png

For now, I'm just laying back and painting. Which is starting to become less scary, and a lot more relaxing, and I like that. Looking forward to trying to finish this up tomorrow after work.

Edit: Yeah, this is probably where I have to leave this tonight. Big day tomorrow, we'll see where I can get up to. :thumbup:
    54d62feed38b9.png
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Just got off work, here goes:
    54d7080901a3f.png

This leg any better?

Edit: I decided to get something I'm never sure about out of the way
    54d71b3ce76d3.png
    Shiny things that aren't metallic. The brown leather or shoes are probably up next, just to get them out of the way.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    54d73dd21e671.png
    I'm getting there. 2 1/2 hours left, probably won't make it, don't really mind.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Okay, here's the "final" (AKA the contest ends in 20 minutes, potentially ended 40 minutes ago, but Deviant Art is a literal sack of shit and doesn't specify whether or not it's going by AEST or AEDT, while also having a countdown timer on American time).

oz535Gaa.png

Still a lot to do/fix but hey. Shiny things. Also a little happy that I actually even came close to keeping enough drive to enter this in. I think that's the first time I've really managed that outside of work...

So yeah. Conclusion: Personal development and fun, need to keep working on it tho'.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    BeepBeep
    Got a couple of small commissions this week, so:
    valentines_commission___amber_by_bagelhero_works-d8hw9ty.png
    stream_sketch___kyo_knightly_by_bagelhero_works-d8hg6zy.png

And a personal sketch:

utau_namegata_yuzuriha_by_bagelhero_works-d8hg83e.png
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Just bumping to say I just got an email telling me I got one of the runners up spots in the contest this was for.

I thought I was basically out after a few system glitches, so even though I just get a copy of The Order: 1886 + some lame Deviantart prizes, I'm pretty happy to hear that I placed at all.

:-)