Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Coyo.Te wrote: »
    dude, you are reading my post wrong if you are implying that I might think this way. read my latest posts throughout the forum, fuckt it, read all my posts
    throughout the forum. i am always in for good stuff and enjoy seeing it come to light even though it might be and certainly is competition. I for myself enjoy the community and have learned alot through clearly better artists than myself.

Whats the point of not submitting something to the contest anyway if you are only submitting because of prices and winning the competition. thats downright stupid if you ask me cause you are limiting yourself and might be here for the wrong reasons.

edit: btw alia, bloody good work as usual!

Sorry if that's how my post read, I didn't mean that to you, but more to the post from Reza and some other people here lately. Just tried to sorta pick up what I thought you were trying to say.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I like to make hats.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Cross post update on my drow
    iyGUz8N.jpg
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Some of our friends here have serious text comprehension issues. I didn't blame anyone for fooling me (as I said before I am participating in this event) and also I didn't say don't produce good quality items(please do so, I'll decompile your models and learn from them) and also I didn't say to not keep your works as secret(sometimes its a must) and also I didn't say that people shouldn't change their minds(I do that all the time). All I said was act properly in a community.

OK plain English, I think these steps make an improper behavior:

1.I'm not making anything for this event
    2. Hey guys, remember I said I'm not making anything? Here this is my final work.

@belkun: I understand and feel your frustration, I feel so too. That's why I gave that comment. I just couldn't take it anymore.
    I think instead of keep being frustrated and feel bad everytime we come here, its good to point out what's wrong and how we could fix it.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Okay first of all, Reza, why would you follow Chemic Alia and Dry, their not your boss. Even so, other artists still participate in the event. You can't blame other people for your non-participation. Chemic/Dry don't own you can never stopped you from participating.

People change, and frankly I didn't expect anything (WIP) from Chemical Alia and Dry, mainly because they only post final images. Whether they were participating in the event isn't our concern. Same thing with the upcoming event chest. Nobody will force you to participate or not participate.

The only way Chemical Alia/Drysocket is wrong, is they they told everyone "Do not participate in this event" If they only said they weren't going to participate it means that they aren't going to participate. They aren't telling everyone not to participate, it means they were only speaking for themselves. Don't hate Chemical Alia/Drysocket just for changing their minds. \
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Okay first of all, Reza, why would you follow Chemic Alia and Dry, their not your boss. Even so, other artists still participate in the event. You can't blame other people for your non-participation. Chemic/Dry don't own you can never stopped you from participating.

2f7.png
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spectre is already kind of an alien

he mean the set design looks too "human" instead of alien.
    or he means "an alien wearing human cloth"

well tbh the spectre with the cloth i think is okay for me.

and nice head choice :P

Img263126639.jpg

i see what you did there hehe
  • Malloy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    The irony of 'Reza' posting a facepalm image xD
  • ReMixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    I like to make hats.

10/10 best comment. Would read again. :poly121:
  • vector_meche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    working on my am chinese goat style set high poly... looking on how to add texture in zbrush to start poly painting (not like I know how to...)
    Am_high_poly.png

EDIT: Holy banana I added texture to model mwahahaha :thumbup:
    Am_high_poly_texture.png
  • riceart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
    hi all, im looking for help with official Ogre magi cape item, ive downloaded it but it seem that color texture does note contain alpha channel to cut out those yellow coins. Im not sure im thinking right, can anyone confirm that?
    http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements/Ogre_Magi
    and second thing. this guide
    http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2ShaderMaskGuide.pdf
    does not contain information how to solve my problem but you can see on first page nicely rendered ogre magi with coins cuted out on his cape.

regards
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Riceart, did you make sure that you used 100% black? The engine only uses 100% black and 100% white.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    also i suspect ogre's files are outdated. Just keep in mind when you do it yourself that opacity doesn't recognize any grays at all. all on or all off - that's the only way to fly.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK wrote: »
    also i suspect ogre's files are outdated. Just keep in mind when you do it yourself that opacity doesn't recognize any grays at all. all on or all off - that's the only way to fly.

:thumbup: So many of those references are out of date. I never really trust any of them but the most recent additions, and I still tend to just decompile for references anyways
  • riceart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, ive check all 4 textures and all channels and none of them looks like a alpha cut out map, where can i get newer versions of textures?
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    riceart wrote: »
    hmm, ive check all 4 textures and all channels and none of them looks like a alpha cut out map, where can i get newer versions of textures?

Here's the texture straight from the game files: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8656269/ShareX/2014-12/cape_color.tga

As GhostDetector said, the transparency is binary, which means it's either 100% visible or 100% invisible, so you can't use shades of gray, only black and white. You need to add an alpha channel on the color map and save the TGA as 32-bit for it to work.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    belkun wrote: »
    As GhostDetector said, the transparency is binary, which means it's either 100% visible or 100% invisible, so you can't use shades of gray, only black and white. You need to add an alpha channel on the color map and save the TGA as 32-bit for it to work.
    Is there any chance this might change once Dota switches engines next year?
  • riceart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, thanks for the fast reply and for the file. Now i see that package from official site has outdated file.
    regards
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    darkkyo wrote: »
    Is there any chance this might change once Dota switches engines next year?

I'm not really sure if there are any major changes on that part for Source 2, but it's certainly something that I believe everyone would welcome. Maybe we can try to suggest Valve to add support for that on the new engine and editor? Would be great to see some more stuff with better represented glass, ice and similar materials, but then again, I don't know if Source 2 would be able to make that happen.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well source 2 can already do transparent textures, so I'd assume so, it'll be up to valve whether they want to add semi-transparency since they may care more about game performance rather than cosmetics. A whole bunch of transparent objects probably will destroy the framrate on some computers.
  • riceart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, my approach on dota2 shader in blender viewport, its far from perfection but should be good enought for now, in comparsion to marmoset toolbag2
    281r2c9.png

regards
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Decided to throw my hat in for New Bloom and do some quick singles. Here is the first in collab with Noblebatterfly:

Hofuamm.png

Colours are just a quick 2 minute jobby as I won't be doing the final ones :)
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    belkun wrote: »
    I'm not really sure if there are any major changes on that part for Source 2, but it's certainly something that I believe everyone would welcome. Maybe we can try to suggest Valve to add support for that on the new engine and editor? Would be great to see some more stuff with better represented glass, ice and similar materials, but then again, I don't know if Source 2 would be able to make that happen.

even in newer engines shaders that support semi-opacity are expensive and complicated. Generally they need to be additive or subsurface scattering. you'd be hardpressed to find even a next gen game that really nails something like semi-transparent ice or even tinted glass. they exist, but they're not typically going to run on anything lower end. don't count on valve implimenting new shaders just we can put distorting glass on an item or two...at the expense of large portions of the players having to use fallback shaders to keep the game running (that will make the material look awful, by the way)
  • ReMixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are a few things in-game currently that support semi transparency like the DP ward.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Well source 2 can already do transparent textures, so I'd assume so, it'll be up to valve whether they want to add semi-transparency since they may care more about game performance rather than cosmetics. A whole bunch of transparent objects probably will destroy the framrate on some computers.

Source has had transparency since 2004. You can use it in dota 2, Valve just doesn't like it. The main issue with it if it's not used correctly is sorting, especially if it's layered at all. You also need to separate the section of the model using transparency from the section that doesn't need it to avoid sorting issues, causing the model to require two materials.

I'm working on an item now that we're testing transparency on. If it works well I can write a little mini tutorial on it if anyone is interested.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6

I'm working on an item now that we're testing transparency on. If it works well I can write a little mini tutorial on it if anyone is interested.

Oh god, yes, please!
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope several of these restrictions will be lifted once Dota goes Source 2. Full transparency, and 2-sided materials being fully supported. new meta!
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On the off chance, does any any know if Signed Distance Field alpha's are supported in Dota? And by any chance have a Photoshop action/plugin to create them??

-Toasty
  • TriggerHappyPuppy
    hey guys. I have some problem with my pudge hook, two problems to be precise.

this is the first one. Ingame when pudge use the hook it both stays in his hand and hooks away, anyone know if this is just an editor problem or is it any tricks to make it work at the right way?

hook_zps71df3d24.png

second problem occurs when I import the hook and then add the other items through the "additional items" button. The other items then get the metal specular "strength" from the hook and when I do the opposite, adding the hook through "additional items" button then the hook gets the metal specular strength from that item I imported first. This only happens with the hook, all the other items get along well. Anyone knows anything about this?
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is the first one. Ingame when pudge use the hook it both stays in his hand and hooks away, anyone know if this is just an editor problem or is it any tricks to make it work at the right way?

Pretty sure this is just how the importer works for pudge hooks, no clue on your second issue, but sounds like an importer bug
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had the same 2 issues on Pudge's hook. I wasn't able to find a fix in the end either.
  • qwedeath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qwedeath polycounter lvl 9
    Hello guys, im new here and here my first imported item c:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=366289108
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    Happy new year everyone! :)

Instead of resting and celebrating we are making something for CNY:

3103a2ed5a.png
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    And damn it's looking sweet!

If it changes the leap growl to a bleat I'm completely oversold on this one.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Source has had transparency since 2004. You can use it in dota 2, Valve just doesn't like it. The main issue with it if it's not used correctly is sorting, especially if it's layered at all. You also need to separate the section of the model using transparency from the section that doesn't need it to avoid sorting issues, causing the model to require two materials.

That wasn't what I meant, what I meant was that source 2 comes with a whole bunch of optimizations so if possible transparency will be a normal thing in dota 2. Plus since its a new shader, semi-transparent objects will require more usage resulting in less frame rates and inhibiting gameplay. With source 2, its possible that adding transparency won't affect gameplay at all.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Happy new year everyone
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz wrote: »

That is one awesome majestic mount, cant wait to see everything completed
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14

3103a2ed5a.png

That's so god damm cute =0
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Happy New Year everyone, I hope 2015 will be an amazing year for all of us!

Damn Onilolz, that's some great work, looks amazing! :D
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks a lot guys!:)

Final model w/ flat diffuse. Trying to change the workflow a litte. Pretty good results so far!

192e8589b6.png
  • ReMixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot guys!:)

Final model w/ flat diffuse. Trying to change the workflow a litte. Pretty good results so far!

192e8589b6.png

Hnnnnnnnnngggg I really hope you are interested in putting it in the Hattery! :D
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, happy new year for y'all!

I made these quick single hairstyles concepts for CNY! If you are interested in collab just hit me here or on steam! (Ike already took Legion)

V9z0ZsR.jpg
  • yakonusuke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yakonusuke polycounter lvl 2
    Happy New Year everyone!
    Here's a set for Juggernaut by Crowntail for whom I painted the loadingscreen. Hope you enjoy!

MEuGqar.jpg

@Remixx- Very nice mount!
  • ReMixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yakonusuke wrote: »
    @Remixx- Very nice mount!

I didn't make it! OniLolz did! :)
  • yakonusuke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yakonusuke polycounter lvl 2
  • Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn polycounter lvl 2
    Hi guys , im facing a big problem :( , i have done my color,mask1,mask2,normal map ,when i imported to dota2 , it seems that the mask does not have any effect in dota2 , its all flat colored , Please help :(
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys , im facing a big problem :( , i have done my color,mask1,mask2,normal map ,when i imported to dota2 , it seems that the mask does not have any effect in dota2 , its all flat colored , Please help :(

Are all the textures saved to the proper format? Do you have your in game graphics setting lowered?
  • Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn polycounter lvl 2
    i saved them all in tga file and named them itemname_color , _mask1 , mask2 , normal . As for the graphic i didnt set it to lower.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn

Check Mask 1 Alpha, it should be black entirely
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i saved them all in tga file and named them itemname_color , _mask1 , mask2 , normal . As for the graphic i didnt set it to lower.

More so was the bitness correct, example, color without alpha 24 bit or 32 with alpha, mask 1 and 2 32 bit, and normal 24 bit