Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - Master Thread

Replies

• JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    That's the long and short of it, yeah. Other maps should display fine, just make sure that srgb is unchecked in the UE4 texture editor for things that aren't your base color map. (The easiest way to do this is to set the texture compression preset--TC_Masks if you have metallic, roughness and AO channel packed, TC_Grayscale otherwise, TC_Diffuse? I think for your base color map, and TC_NormalMap for your normals, optionally inverting the green channel if it looks weird.)
  • arvinmoses
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    Calling this done for now -
    Mostly done in painter. Head textured in 3DCoat.
    screenshot002.png
  • eyo
    Offline / Send Message
    eyo polycounter lvl 9
    Small question, is there a way to adjust the opacity of all channels on a fill layer at the same time?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    eyo wrote: »
    Small question, is there a way to adjust the opacity of all channels on a fill layer at the same time?
    Unfortunately no, you will have to change the opacity per channel in the layer stack.
  • wesm
    Offline / Send Message
    wesm polycounter lvl 4
    arvinmoses wrote: »
    Calling this done for now -
    Mostly done in painter. Head textured in 3DCoat.
    screenshot002.png

That's awesome work Arvin!

Cheers,

Wes
  • arvinmoses
    Offline / Send Message
  • PLyczkowski
    Offline / Send Message
    PLyczkowski polycounter lvl 14
    Hey guys, new mat for you, Painted Metal:

shot_141210_162953.png?dl=0

Get it at https://gumroad.com/plyczkowski

This one has a lot going on inside, so if the performance is too low on you machine, try turning some of the details off.
  • PLyczkowski
    Offline / Send Message
    And my latest texture work on Michael's Pavlovic's model : )

shot_141209_212745.png?dl=0
  • xtrm3d
    Offline / Send Message
    xtrm3d polycounter lvl 9
    was playing with PLyczkowski new material yesterday ..
    suoer easy to use.. give great result .. and nicely optimized

here a wip that use all three of his already released materials
    bare metal , stressed plastic and painted metal

m50.jpg
    capitol-soldier-d.jpg
  • PLyczkowski
    Offline / Send Message
    xtrm3d wrote: »
    was playing with PLyczkowski new material yesterday ..
    suoer easy to use.. give great result .. and nicely optimized

here a wip that use all three of his already released materials
    bare metal , stressed plastic and painted metal

Wow, that looks fantastic.

I think I'd like to tackle some soft surface materials next, like the one you made for the gloves and trousers.
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, is it possible to invert alphas/stencils inside of painter?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Tzur_H wrote: »
    Hey, is it possible to invert alphas/stencils inside of painter?
    We don't have any setting to do that, but that's a good question. I will create a request in our database.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Really exited for you December 16th update :)

I have some request and notes.

For the projection tool.
    Be able to turn of the tiling would be nice.
    Also having it so if you put in a image with alpha having all the channels respect that, so not having to import a new image for roughness/height/metallic.

Misc:
    More shaders obviously, glass, phong and so on.
    Being able to rename the texture sets.
    Having the export dialog remember what you checked to export last previously.

When importing a image to use as stencil, being able to say draw a lasso around what you want to paint with, so if it's tightly packed not having other parts bleed over.

A bit of a ramble, I could try and explain certain things closer if wanted.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Particles!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FpG3CFlfQ"]Substance Painter: creative use of particle brushes - YouTube[/ame]

@Stromberg90: Feedback noted. More shaders are on the way and the export dialog is being completely redone and should be much much more useful!
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Froyok wrote: »
    We don't have any setting to do that, but that's a good question. I will create a request in our database.
    Sweet, thanks.
    Also, is there a way of disabling the tiling of a stencil?
    Say for instance I want to paint a small wrinkle using a stencil, I need to re-size the stencil, and place it in desirable location.. That's easy. But because it's tiling so many times I need to be really careful with my draw size and draw strokes in order to not put any detail out of that region that I want, it's kind of annoying.

Ah and one more thing, the ability to direct substance painter to grab on start-up files from a custom path would be really helpful. I've got lots of alphas, and textures that I've gathered for use in ZBrush, if I could direct painter to a custom folder to load these files, it would save me a lot of disk space. For us laptop users, where disk space is limited, this is crucial :]

And WOW, that video using the particles is just awesome! :thumbup:
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    - Disabling the tilling on Projection/Stencils : it's planned, no ETA yet.

- Loading resources in the shelf from a custom location : planned too ! That's a request we get a lot. :)
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    We just released a video walkthrough of the new 1.1 features:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOB7X5-rXkQ"]Substance Painter 1.1 feature update tutorial - YouTube[/ame]
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    And if people haven't noticed it yet (or already mentioned it), you can get the program now on 67% discount on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/273390

I haven't touched 3D for a while and even I can't pass up on this. ;)
  • Veezen
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Is there any way to make mask from base color by selection?
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    hi I have this message when i start substance painter 1.1

EQ9GRsp.png

I already updated my driver to the latest version 344.75,
    restarted my PC.

still the same message

and another bug,

APWQvZ5.gif
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Do you by any chance have an integrated nvidia graphic chip on your motherboard on top of your GTX460?
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    hi no, the graphic is separate. ^^
    funny thing is , substance designer recognize my new driver after I update, but substance painter not.

my geforce 460 is the only one

the second bug is the annoying , its a stopper.
    the bug happen in uniform diffuse color panting

*update , temp solution
    my temporary solution is to use eraser , and before I start painting I pretend to remove the black bug with my eraser eventually it fill the entire uv surface and the graphic is clean from Black square bug, then I start paint the real stuff....

hopefully they fix it soon.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Sorry for the inconvenience, we are working on it. The issue seems to be related to the GTX4xx series specifically.
  • Veezen
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Only me have problem with rain particles? It's not working for me and I have two times crash after using it, other works fine. I downloading now new drivers for my GPU, so maybe that's the problem.

@edit
    ehh, and it still not working :/ On sample projects all works fine.

@edit
    SOLUTION WITH RAIN IS FEW POSTS BELOW
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    26 pages is a lot to get through so apologies if this has been asked before, but is it possible to edit a mask after generating it through colour selection. I can add to the mask (paint white) but cant remove area's (paint black) which is bloody annoying so I assume that I am doing something wrong
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Veezen wrote: »
    Only me have problem with rain particles? It's not working for me and I have two times crash after using it, other works fine. I downloading now new drivers for my GPU, so maybe that's the problem.

What do you mean by it's not working? Are the particle drawing on the mesh incorrectly on not at all?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    seth. wrote: »
    26 pages is a lot to get through so apologies if this has been asked before, but is it possible to edit a mask after generating it through colour selection. I can add to the mask (paint white) but cant remove area's (paint black) which is bloody annoying so I assume that I am doing something wrong

It's a limitation we have right now. Basically, what you paint on top of the generated mask is actually painted "behind" that mask. Since the default background is black, painting white will work, but painting black will just be overridden by the ID color mask.

We are working on a fix for this that will be awesome (think as if each mask could have it's own custom layer stack) but in the meantime, the workaround is to create a Group on top of your layer with the mask you want to modify, create a white mask on this group and paint black there to remove parts of the mask.
  • Veezen
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Oh I forgot to insert avi here. Take a look on it bellow. I think colors should works really similar to the second one which I use:
    https://copy.com/VihIaIiOfx6DlR8H/substance_problem.avi

Maybe this is problem with mesh, because on sample projects rain works good with default settings like on video.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It's just an issue with the default parameters of the rain.
    If you reduce the Normal Trigger parameter and reduce the dt a little bit, to 0.02, it should work much better.

The Normal Trigger parameter tells the rain to only draw particles when it encounter a bump in the normal map. If you set it to 0, the rain will draw everywhere no matter the normal map.

Reducing the dt will get rid of the little dots you can see on your particle path and give you a smoother trace.
  • Veezen
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Now I understand.
    It's working now, THANKS for help :)
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    ahhh no problem I can live with that workaround, thanks Jerc
  • zacvrono
    Offline / Send Message
    zacvrono polycounter lvl 4
    Jerc wrote: »
    Particles!

Substance Painter: creative use of particle brushes - YouTube

@Stromberg90: Feedback noted. More shaders are on the way and the export dialog is being completely redone and should be much much more useful!

How in world did you get the bandage to dynamically absorb the blood as it dripped?! that's amazing!
  • Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    I bought Substance Painter in the recent sale (about two weeks ago) and I think it's great so far. It has mostly replaced Photoshop for me as I think it's a lot handier to be able to paint in 3D and have layers update across all the different maps in real-time (in addition to the substance effects and particles). However there have been a few things that have perturbed me about Substance Painter that I think could be improved. Here's a list of both big and small improvements that I'd like to see (in no particular order):
    1. Drag&drop substance effects directly to layers and masks (and stacks if you've already got one of those). Just drag the effect to the thumbnail of the layer or layer mask, instead of forcing the user to click through the 'Add Effect'>'Add Substance Effect'.
    2. Hex value input for the color picker (like in Photoshop). It boggles my mind that a texturing program doesn't support this from the get go, but it's not the first time I've seen it.
    3. Multilayer substance and/or substance effects on groups. For instance I would like to be able to desaturate multiple color layers for a sun bleaching with a single substance effect.
    4. Adjustment layers (brightness/contrast, hue/sat, levels) without having to just apply them to a specific layer.
    5. Ability to export renders with transparent backgrounds (similar to Toolbag).
    6. Shortcut presets based on other applications like ZBrush and Photoshop.
    7. Ability to delete resources (like textures) from the project to clean up unused resources.
    8. Connect maps in the Textures panel to the ones under additional maps (so if the normal map is updated the one used on the model and in the substance effects are too). Right now you need to first update the texture in the shelf and then the one used on the model, which is at least one step too many. Auto-updating the textures as they are modified would perhaps be even better (similar to Toolbag).
    9. Ability to paint on the mirrored side of an object with offset UVs
    10. Quick way to change between two preset colors/materials when you paint (especially for layer mask painting as it can be tedious at the moment). Photoshop has this and it makes it a lot more enjoyable to paint masks in my opinion.
    11. Better support for non-square UV-layouts (substances effects seem squashed, 2D window is too). Substance designer doesn't seem to be able to bake non-square textures either.
    12. Re-arrangement support for stacked substance effects (preferably drag & drop). Would be useful for some stacked layer mask effects.
    13. Hide quick masking effect (but keep the mask useable). Masking is useful for painting dirt and other effects but with the current system it's impossible to tell how it looks before you clear the mask as the mask effect is just way too intrusive. This in combination with not currently being able to use undo for masking makes them almost unusable for me (I know you're working on undo support for masks though, so that's great).
    14. Masking based on the baked maps (for the quick mask tool), so that you can mask by curvature, AO, colormap, etc. in a similar fashion to ZBrush.
    15. Double-click resources in shelf to use them (double-click alpha to apply them to the brush, double-click substance effect to replace the currently selected one).
    16. Ability to view a bigger version of the textures (not just the thumbnails). So that you can easily identify problem areas without first finding it in explorer and then opening it in Photoshop. You could perhaps view them in in the 2D view.

The list is quite long but that doesn't mean that I hate Substance Painter. On the contrary I think it's great, but I just feel that it could use some streamlining and that there are a few missing (mostly small) features. Thank you for creating a great piece of software!
  • PLyczkowski
    Offline / Send Message
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Nosslak wrote: »
    I bought Substance Painter in the recent sale (about two weeks ago) and I think it's great so far. It has mostly replaced Photoshop for me as I think it's a lot handier to be able to paint in 3D and have layers update across all the different maps in real-time (in addition to the substance effects and particles). However there have been a few things that have perturbed me about Substance Painter that I think could be improved. Here's a list of both big and small improvements that I'd like to see (in no particular order):

Let me answer point by point :
    1. Drag&drop substance effects directly to layers and masks (and stacks if you've already got one of those). Just drag the effect to the thumbnail of the layer or layer mask, instead of forcing the user to click through the 'Add Effect'>'Add Substance Effect'.

That's a good suggestion, we also have some other improvements planned regarding the drag'n'drop of resource to reduce the time requested to perform those task.

2. Hex value input for the color picker (like in Photoshop). It boggles my mind that a texturing program doesn't support this from the get go, but it's not the first time I've seen it.
    True, I'm adding this suggestion too since we also want to add the possibility to work in sRGB if need with the color picker.

3. Multilayer substance and/or substance effects on groups. For instance I would like to be able to desaturate multiple color layers for a sun bleaching with a single substance effect.
    Unless I missuderstood what you want to achieve, you can already do that by adding an effect to a layer/group and set its blending mode to "Pass Trought", this will therefore apply the effect to all the layers below in the layer hierarchy.
    4. Adjustment layers (brightness/contrast, hue/sat, levels) without having to just apply them to a specific layer.
    That's planned. No ETA yet unfortunately.
    5. Ability to export renders with transparent backgrounds (similar to Toolbag).
    That's planned for the coming month ! :)

That's something we could considerate indeed.

7. Ability to delete resources (like textures) from the project to clean up unused resources.
    It's already possible by doing File > Clean. this will remove any resource unused in the project (once you will save the project). However I would agree that being able to do it more manually would be more handy in certain situations.
    8. Connect maps in the Textures panel to the ones under additional maps (so if the normal map is updated the one used on the model and in the substance effects are too). Right now you need to first update the texture in the shelf and then the one used on the model, which is at least one step too many. Auto-updating the textures as they are modified would perhaps be even better (similar to Toolbag).
    It's planned. Again, no ETA.

9. Ability to paint on the mirrored side of an object with offset UVs
    Also planned, but not in a short term because of technical reasons.
    10. Quick way to change between two preset colors/materials when you paint (especially for layer mask painting as it can be tedious at the moment). Photoshop has this and it makes it a lot more enjoyable to paint masks in my opinion.
    Also planned, this is a request we receive a lot. The problem is that contrary to Photoshop where the color editor is global, in painter it is contextual. You can edit the color of a brush but also the color of a substance parameter. So we are still thinking about the best way to add this functionality.
    11. Better support for non-square UV-layouts (substances effects seem squashed, 2D window is too). Substance designer doesn't seem to be able to bake non-square textures either.
    Baking non-square texture is planned for Designer. Regarding the substance effect I think we could update them with the ability to specify a ratio to generate the effect properly.

12. Re-arrangement support for stacked substance effects (preferably drag & drop). Would be useful for some stacked layer mask effects.
    Definitively planned (that's something that bother me a lot).

13. Hide quick masking effect (but keep the mask useable). Masking is useful for painting dirt and other effects but with the current system it's impossible to tell how it looks before you clear the mask as the mask effect is just way too intrusive. This in combination with not currently being able to use undo for masking makes them almost unusable for me (I know you're working on undo support for masks though, so that's great).
    Noted, the quick mask need some improvements indeed.
    14. Masking based on the baked maps (for the quick mask tool), so that you can mask by curvature, AO, colormap, etc. in a similar fashion to ZBrush.
    Wouldn't using a bitmap mask on a layer be more convenient ? (Especially for re-edition)

15. Double-click resources in shelf to use them (double-click alpha to apply them to the brush, double-click substance effect to replace the currently selected one).
    I agree, that's something I would like to see too.

16. Ability to view a bigger version of the textures (not just the thumbnails). So that you can easily identify problem areas without first finding it in explorer and then opening it in Photoshop. You could perhaps view them in in the 2D view.
    Agreed too ! :)
    The list is quite long but that doesn't mean that I hate Substance Painter. On the contrary I think it's great, but I just feel that it could use some streamlining and that there are a few missing (mostly small) features. Thank you for creating a great piece of software!
    Don't worry, those feedback are always welcome. Thanks for taking the time to create this list !
  • Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    @Nosslak

Beside posting here, you can also submit/vote on those on https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/261284-substance-painter
    Thanks for the link, I didn't know there was an official place for ideas and feature requests. The website doesn't seem to work in Firefox for me though (could just be some of my plug-ins interfering), but it worked well in Chrome at least.
    Unless I missuderstood what you want to achieve, you can already do that by adding an effect to a layer/group and set its blending mode to "Pass Trought", this will therefore apply the effect to all the layers below in the layer hierarchy.
    Alright, I didn't know you could do that already. It seems to work pretty much exactly like what I needed.
    That's something we could considerate indeed.
    I should've expanded more on this but kind of forgot. What I would be most interested in would be similar viewport navigation to ZBrush as I think that has the simplest navigation to use from a tablet. I recently had to re-install my OS so I can't really compare them right now, so I'm just going by memory there.
    It's already possible by doing File > Clean. this will remove any resource unused in the project (once you will save the project). However I would agree that being able to do it more manually would be more handy in certain situations.
    Alright, sounds pretty similar to how Blender does it as well. A manual option would be handy but I guess that it's not as necessary if we already have this.
    Also planned, this is a request we receive a lot. The problem is that contrary to Photoshop where the color editor is global, in painter it is contextual. You can edit the color of a brush but also the color of a substance parameter. So we are still thinking about the best way to add this functionality.
    Yeah, I can get that. It is an important feature so I'm glad to hear that you're looking into it.
    Baking non-square texture is planned for Designer. Regarding the substance effect I think we could update them with the ability to specify a ratio to generate the effect properly.
    That's great, I also noticed on some material that you couldn't change the scale of the texture so that should take care of that problem as well.
    Wouldn't using a bitmap mask on a layer be more convenient ? (Especially for re-edition)
    Could be in some cases but what I wanted to do was to be able to paint some dirt specifically on a single selection from my color map. To do this I would need to be able to use the quick mask tool in conjunction with the color selection effect.
    Don't worry, those feedback are always welcome. Thanks for taking the time to create this list !
    That's great to hear as I really didn't want to sound too harsh when I do like the program and where it seems to be heading. Thank you for the speedy reply and being open to criticism.
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    Does the photoshop export in Substance Painter not work correctly?

When I use it, it outputs a PSD with a flattened diffuse and specular.

I can get individual layers if I hide everything I don't want in that layer, but again I'll end up with a PSD with a flattened layer (no alpha). It's tedious, but I can get weathering effects and seam paint outs doing this, but I'd expect the PSD export to seperate out the layers by default.

Maybe I'm missing a setting somewhere?
  • PLyczkowski
    Offline / Send Message
    >flattened diffuse and specular.

Is it actually possible to export unflattened in the future at all? As a fill layer can be a substance that is dynamic, I can't imagine how would that work.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The current PSD export flattens all layers per channel. Having a full PSD export is complex as each channel uses its own color space and format, it needs a lot of design and thinking before it happens. It is on our roadmap though still.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Is there a possibility of creating my own Shelf tab for my own organization?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Not for the moment.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Not for the moment.

Ahh shucks :( Hopefully there will be support for this in the future.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    We plan to improve the shelf in many ways of course. :)
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    zacvrono wrote: »
    How in world did you get the bandage to dynamically absorb the blood as it dripped?! that's amazing!

The bandage soaking up the blood caught my eye too. would be interesting to hear how you did that.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The bandage soaking up the blood caught my eye too. would be interesting to hear how you did that.

It's a rather simple effect actually. I have a mask that tells me what is cloth and what is skin (cloth= white, skin = black).
    The diffuse input is where I paint my simple particles.

I use this mask to drive a Non Uniform Blur after adding a little bit of noise to it. This effectively allow me to blur the blood trail whenever it reaches cloth, creating the illusion of the bandage soaking up the blood.

qoWNlzI.png
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for sharing that Jerc, very clever and effective!
  • arvinmoses
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,
    Finished up a chainmail for use with characters. My first material for character texturing.

In case you guy haven't seen I started a site where I'm giving away free sbsars.

Here is the chainmail mat:
    http://substance.arvinmoses.com/product/chainmail/
    screenshot0041.jpg
    screenshot0051.jpg
    screenshot006.jpg
  • xtrm3d
    Offline / Send Message
    xtrm3d polycounter lvl 9
    that chainmail look really cool !!!

just finished a quick step by step video about texturing an assault rifle in substance painter

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FL8jvvFDw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FL8jvvFDw[/ame]
  • arvinmoses
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Christophe, and thanks for the share!

By the way did you ever work at DNA? I thought I heard your name in passing with one of my colleagues. You used to be a big XSI guy right?

Actually I forgot you used to do a bunch of npr and you did those look/dev style compositing projects in Designer. I'm trying to get a hand painted look out of designer... Would you happen to have any ideas?

screenshot000-1024x576.jpg
  • xtrm3d
    Offline / Send Message
    xtrm3d polycounter lvl 9
    ""Thanks Christophe, and thanks for the share!

By the way did you ever work at DNA? I thought I heard your name in passing with one of my colleagues. You used to be a big XSI guy right?""

yes i did work on the ant bully from 2004 to 2006
    ""big"" xsi guys..well let say .. that their might be some truth to that

as for npr out of designer .. did you check my other videos ?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WMiRGqk8Po"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WMiRGqk8Po[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6FT35Rqkk0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6FT35Rqkk0[/ame]