Home Quixel Megascans

Support

Replies

• mjau
    @Eric Ramberg
    Yes, I have tried that but it doesn't seem to help. Also, I forgot to mention; the 3DO-sphere doesn't show the textures, it stays grey.

Thanks
    Mjau
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    NoiseCrime wrote: »
    Thanks for answering that, I had noticed it too and had been wondering if it was a bug or low resolution patterns, wanting to keep details looking crisp explains it.[/URL]

yeah this looks good as long as the resolution of the tiled detailtexture used for blending is larger then the resolution of your working file.

when the tiling is set too low, you start getting those pixelated artifacts from lacking resolution.
  • McBaguette
    Hi ! Yes, I have the same problem when I start a new project to mesh with
  • omgeric
    Offline / Send Message
    omgeric polycounter lvl 2
    3Do can never load any custom mesh. It's been like this since the beginning. I have two Radeon 7850's (I've attempted to turn crossfire off, still doesn't work) and have the latest Catalyst drivers. Any help?
  • Hyncharas
    I know this is not strictly on-topic, but have Quixel considered submitting their programs on Steam Greenlight?
  • bakagone
    Offline / Send Message
    bakagone polycounter lvl 10
    @Eric - I tried Photoshop CC without any success.
    About my photoshop language, my photoshop isn't an english version, it is a Japanese version wich I changed the "locales" settings so the version start in English. However my coworker use a Japanese version (full Japanese) but dont face the same issues with Ddo.
  • McBaguette
    I have exactly the same problem as Mjau
  • Voidnaut
    Hey Eric,

Did you miss my "Crash on Normal-Map Convertion to Height" posted on 09-30-2014 10:04 AM? -It might not have gone up due to me having to say hello in the hello-thread...

Anyways, still a problem with Ndo crashing when I try to create a Height-map (Hard Surface). -I forgot to mention in the original post that when I try it from a flattened normalmap, Ndo crashes without the described "script alert". Please see original post for further details.

Thanks.
  • calintz9999
    Offline / Send Message
    calintz9999 polycounter lvl 6
    Hi all

@ Eric
    I tried "Start PS as admin, shut it down.
    Start it up as usuall (not as admin)

Then run the suite, this will activate PS in the registry."

It is still KO, however I tried using the admin account in safe mode and it works. I'm going bonkers here. One thing I noticed is that when quixel suite crashes , in the task manager , there is an Alert window but I cannot get to display no matter what I do .
    So it seems like something is somehow stopping the suite from starting up completely . I tried running the suite in diagnostic mode (msconfig) , starting with the minimum amount of process and services , it still crashes. I tried chkdsk /f > not working.
  • emaema
    hello
    I have just finish texturing something and I want to export it to unity skyshop but when I go to unity skyshop I didn't find how to put all maps in it,so can you please tell me how to put this maps in unity skyshop(unity in in another computer)
  • Kemor
    calintz9999 I have the sama problem with nDo (Suite 1.4). nDo works very very slow, each tweak somehow freezes the nDo GUI. I can see changes I made in document window (sometimes I have to wait a while) but GUI is inactive, means i can't manipulate the sliders etc, on other side I have access to Photoshop menus. So, in my opinion, there is a problem with GUI.
    I also noticed in task manager that Alert window and also have no access to display it.
  • Zanoroo
    Hello guys i'm new here and new user of quixel su
  • Eric Williams
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric Williams polycounter lvl 16
    GGX error potential fix, requires javascript editing, level easy :) I need to test it but at a glance it looks like it works. If this turns out to be correct I have to thank almighty_gir for giving me the idea to look into the javascript files.

All ggx calibration profiles have a matching javascript file. All the files run an "applyggxcurve(true")" which leads to the function file, which has the error on line whatever that some are familiar with. But I think the function javascript file is fine.

If you compare the ggx export javascript files to non ggx exports, for instance the marmoset toolbag 2 javascript has an albedo curve adjustment, but it has a "getmergedmap" before it. I suspect that the gloss channels aren't merging first which maybe causes the solid color to be selected when ddo switches to the gloss map and having that selected will block the curves adjustment.

So simply adding "var gloss = GetMergedMap();" to all the ggx calibration profiles between case "Gloss": line and ApplyGGXCurve(true); will merge the layers then apply the ggx curve. Fixed!

edit - Almost fixed, requires another line "return gloss;" after applyggxcurve line, otherwise the curve adjustment won't take.

K, that was all just one giant guess. Need more testing, I just got excited and had to say something :)
  • Eric Williams
    Offline / Send Message
    For all ggx calibration profiles, the matching javascript file:

this
    		case "Gloss":
    			ApplyGGXCurve(true);

becomes
    		case "Gloss":
    			var gloss = GetMergedMap();
    			ApplyGGXCurve(true);
    			return gloss;

The default install directory of the javascript export files:

\Users\Public\Quixel\SUITE\script\calibration

After all this ggx export doesn't look quite right, yet.

Just incase anyone is curious, the curve adjustment function is in the functions javascript file in the common folder on line 693. Looks as though it has 5 points on the curve graph. I've uploaded images of the exposure and curves that are run on the gloss maps. Numbers for the exposure are easy enough to see in the javascript and in the attached image, curve point values are harder to pick out.

The curve adjustment points in quixel 1.4 :

first point, already there
    horizontal 0 vertical 111

second point
    Hrzn 27 Vrtc 133

third point
    Hrzn 129 Vrtc 189

fourth point
    Hrzn 204 Vrtc 224

fifth point, already there at
    Hrzn 255 Vrtc 255

If you guys want to try the adjustments on an uncalibrated gloss to convert it to ggx I think exposure has to be applied first, or, with layers, exposure must be above curves adjustment.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    mattv1993 wrote: »
    Whenevery I close the quixel suite it won't launch again until I restart my pc, does anyone else have this same issue?

That's probably because the process SUITE stays running in the background, for some reason. That's the issue I have, anyway. I can never run the suite again, until I manually end the process using the Task manager.

Any idea why this happens?
  • NoiseCrime
    Offline / Send Message
    NoiseCrime polycounter lvl 6
    emaema wrote: »
    hello
    I have just finish texturing something and I want to export it to unity skyshop but when I go to unity skyshop I didn't find how to put all maps in it,so can you please tell me how to put this maps in unity skyshop(unity in in another computer)

In DDO open the exporter window (first icon in menu) there select the 'Skyshop & Toolbag 1' option. Set the file format to tga (anything other than png, since png is currently not saving the alpha map needed for gloss), choose your destination folder, click save.

In Unity, import your model, import the exported textures, create a new skyshop material (assign the desired shader), drag the textures into the correct slots.
  • NoiseCrime
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all
    One thing I noticed is that when quixel suite crashes , in the task manager , there is an Alert window but I cannot get to display no matter what I do .

I've seen this quite a few times too, but unsure what exactly causes it. Might be for me when 3DO crashes which happens quite a few times.

Just like the Suite remaining in memory I tend to just end the application or end tasks in task manager.
  • Peschiera
    Offline / Send Message
    Peschiera polycounter lvl 5
    Guys, I'm sorry if it's been posted before and solved but I shuffled through some posts here and there and still nothing.

Can someone help me understand what is happening with my models inside of 3do?

3do_sadness_by_peschiera-d81nfrl.jpg

I would love some feedback on this. Currently using version 1.4, AMD 14.9 drivers and all working fine.

Might be some normals issue or something but I didn't find any answers through google searching.

Thanks for your time!
  • Eric Williams
    Offline / Send Message
    Peschiera, what happens if you manually triangulate your mesh before bringing it into quixel?
  • Kemor
    I've seen this quite a few times too, but unsure what exactly causes it. Might be for me when 3DO crashes which happens quite a few times.

Just like the Suite remaining in memory I tend to just end the application or end tasks in task manager.

This Allert Windows is present all the time I working with nDo even without activaiting 3DO at all.
  • Eric Williams
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I figured out another error and the reason for it. Glowing Edges not currently available. 16bit images don't have access to the filter gallery where the glowing edges filter is located.

I occasionally get the error cause Crytiff exporter tells me if I don't use 16bit images on export then my maps will look like crap and I should give up on life. Well, screw you crytiff exporter, ya whiny baby! :P

-Start a new ddo import
    -Check 16 bit materials
    -Choose any calibration that loads a bump channel, or manually add bump in output maps dropdown

-create base maps
    -open exporter
    -choose any calibration that converts the bump to normal. (everything except uncalibrated, I think)
    -hit export wait for error

100 ideas...

Couple easy solutions, work in 8 bit if you require a bump channel or work in 16bit and convert the bump tab to 8 bit before using the exporter. Oooorrr, just don't use a bump map, take it through ndo, or convert it another way first.

Harder solution, change the bit depth of the bump map in the javascript (functions.jsx line 450-459) either once before it runs the filter and end with an 8bit map, or twice to convert it back.

Hardest. Rewrite the functions.jsx line 450-459 with something equivalent to Glowing Edges that doesn't require 8bit to work.
  • Gaiascope
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaiascope polycounter lvl 4
    I'm having the exact same problem Bakagone is having. I've been using Quixel suite happily for weeks without problems, and today this error prevents me from working in it at all.

If it helps to diagnose the problem, I've found that every single time, no matter what I set it to before, after the error occurres photoshop will have set "history states" to 1.

If I set it to something higher and try to use Quixel again, it'll produce the same error and history states will reset to 1. This happens every time I try to use Ddo. I hope this information is helpful at all.
  • Eric Ramberg
    @Noisecrime - Thank you once again for taking the time and helping out with your feedback and technical skills!

@mjau - Could i trouble you to upload your mesh? there are soem similar cases and we want to compare all the meshes and see if we can
    find a connection between them!

@Goeddy - Helping out again I see, we appreciate it!

@Mcbaguette - Could I alsoe trobule you for a mesh?

@omgeric - (Eric is my namne so I can only assume your nick is in reaction to meeting me!) Im starting to sound like a broken record here but.. Could you upload your mesh as well
    it would be of great help to us!

@Hyncharas - Valve has reached out about this and it is likely something we will take them up on as the release version is available :)

@bakagone - that is very strange indeed, you´re certain that his version is full Japanese and not a english version with japanese set as language?
    does it make any difference if you change languange to japanese? Also, do you have the oportunity to try with a full english version just to see what happens?

@Voidnaut - I think it didn´t show up, but if I missed it I´m very sorry! Anyways, "Hard surface" is only for hard surface normals, its a bug that its showing for non hard surface normals. Very sorry
    about this and any confusion it might have caused!

@Calintz9999 - Do you have any possibility to update PS? Really sorry its taking so long to find your problem, we´re not quite sure what´s causing this.

@emaema - Noisecrimes answer is the one you are seeking!

@kemor - What resolution are you working in and how many layers? Does it help with performance to "Zip" the layers?

@Zanoroo - would you mind showing a screenshot of your bug? Do you by any chance have a non english version of PS?

@Eric Williams - We have looked at this and you are absolutely correct! Can´t thank you enough for taking the time to test this and help us out!!

@mattv1993 - Just like Joopson says you have to kill it in task manager, this is a bug that will be fixed shortly, sorry for your troubles!

@Peschier - Just Like Eric Williams says, you need to triangulate your mesh then it should work :)

@Gaiascope - The reson for history states returning to 1 is because DDO runs much faster this way, we´re gonna look in to this and try to find a solution.
    Are you running an english version of PS?
  • Gaiascope
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Ramberg
    I see, didn't know it was a functionality. Thanks! And yes, im running an English photoshop.

I managed to get the Suite working again by deleting my Photoshop preferences and reinstalling the 1.3 version of the Suite. I don't know if the 1.4 version would work after a reinstall, but frankly im too scared to find out and I'll just keep using this version for the rest of the work day.

I hope this is helpful to people with the same problem.
  • jetset79
    Offline / Send Message
    jetset79 null
    Hi guys, I hope you can help, we are trying to install Quixel Suite at our school, but we can't find anywhere to put the license codes, we can only install the beta which will expire on the 8th October?

Can we not put in the license codes until the beta expires or something similar?

Cheers,

Tim
  • Eric Ramberg
    @Gaiascope - Great news that you sorted it out! hopefully you can upgrade to 1.4 later on without trobule as well, thanks for reporting!

@jetset79 - No need to put in the license codes until beta ends :)
  • Seijiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Seijiro null
    Just a question, do you have to wait until the beta is over until entering registering codes?
  • Kemor
    @kemor - What resolution are you working in and how many layers? Does it help with performance to "Zip" the layers?

I tried to work with different resolutions 1024, 2048. It doesn't matter for nDo performance.
    I have 32 GB memory and I worked smoothly with Photoshop documents with a lot of layers which had above 1 GB in size.
    I have 2 question
    1) Which color profile should be used with Quixel Suite. I mainly work with Photoshop documents for print, so I work in Adobe RGB profile before I switch to CMYK. For working with Quixel should I choose sRGB?

2) Which callibration profile is the best to be used baxk in 3ds max?
  • OutOfMyMind
    Offline / Send Message
    OutOfMyMind polycounter lvl 5
    material are not appearing on the materials list like they used to in 1.3:poly124:

Just went back to Ddo after a month break and I found more bugs then there was:)
  • NoiseCrime
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more bugs, all from version 1.4, unsure if any of these have been reported.

1. Custom Material Creator - Unable to create a new material unless I have a new documented open.
    I provided albedo, tangent, ao, specular maps at 512x512. Quixel does some stuff then gives an error 'ComException (0x80042260) General Photoshop error occurred. Function may not be available.'

However I can get it to work if I create a new empty Photoshop document, that has the exact same dimensions as the input maps (which are all the same size too) then click 'create Material' whilst the empty Photoshop document is selected.

Thing is this empty psd document isn't used, it has no data in it afterwards, just seems to be needed for the process to succeed.

2. Custom Material Creator- Incorrect Tooltips
    Opacity has AO tooltip assigned to it.
    Normal map talks about cavity map but that is not an option.

3. NDO - Hard Surface Converter Crash
    Selecting a normal map and then going to map converter - Hard surface (tileable) and selecting 'from psd doc', causes Quixel Suite to exit. No errors, Quixel not in task manager, its just gone.Converting all other maps seem to work fine.

4. DDO - Disabling Dnyamask section loses amount/opacity value
    Disabling a dynamask section (e.g. curvature) then re-enabling it loses the 'amount' (opacity?) that its previous setting was applied at. All other settings within the section appear to be cached and restored correctly.

5. 3DO Custom Loader Issues

Open the custom loader and click on 'New Project' to assign a new empty folder. Now add maps by selecting on disk files, clicking on 'clear map' will remove the map from the 3DO preview. However the actual map files are not written to the project folder at this point, just the preview folder. If you close the custom loader then re-open and load the project, the 3DO preview will show no maps, even though they may still exist in the preview folder. If you now assign a file to a map it will be written to the project folder and show up in 3DO, but it will not be added to the preview folder. However at this point clicking on 'clear map' no longer has any effect.

Overall its all very inconsistent and confusing, not entirely sure what the desired behaviour should be. Should it just be creating preview files or writing actual maps to the project folder too? Its almost as if 'New Project' is broken, but 'load project' even if you are loading an empty folder works as expected (might need a preview sub-folder I guess).

6. Should Material ID Masks work on materials within a Smart material?
    Are materials within a smart material meant to enable customisation of Material ID?

After several hours trying I'm not getting the results I expected, actually most of the time I'm not getting any results at all. Its as if Material ID section of the dynamasks for materials within a smart material are just disabled, though still editable, just any change you make is ignored.

For example take 'Worn Plastic'. I can edit the material ID Mask fine for the smart material as a whole, but if I go 'into' the folder and try to adjust the mat ID mask for
    'Edge Scratches' via its 'link' button, nothing appears to happen, no matter what settings I try.

I guess I could understand this behaviour if you are meant to just use the smart material top level dynamask to mask by material ID, but the fact that materials within the smart material have material ID settings that can be adjusted (though they don't seem to give any result) makes it confusing.

Indeed I was actually hoping that materials within a smart material could use Material ID masks as I felt I could make a more efficient material. For example in testing i've tried the 'worn plastic' smart material. It uses 4 sub-materials, 2 of which have a reflectance colour, two of which don't. I have 3 plastic material ID''s on my mesh (red, green blue plastics), so I could create 3 instances of 'Worn Plastic' giving 3 x 4 = 12 total material layers. However if I could control the Material ID mask for materials within the smart material I could instead clone the two coloured reflectance materials three times each and assign the desired colour to them (red, green, blue), the other two sub-materials (scratches and edges) would be left as is. That would mean 3 + 3 + 2 = 8 material layers in total.

I could probably achieve this by generating all the materials myself and not using a smart material, but without a copy & paste material layer that would be challenging.

7. DDO - UV Overlay
    Tried this over the weekend, couldn't seem to get it working?

8. DDO - Generic Material Link ID/Names mask all non-generic materials of same type?
    If I add the generic 'plastic' as a ID link to a specific material ID colour (or maybe it was PVC), then add specific 'plastic' materials (e.g. PVC Green or PVC Red) to other material colour ID's I found that the generic link ID would create a material dynamask that included all the specific materials. In other words 'PVC' or 'Plastic' would create material mask that included 'PVC Green' & 'PVC Red'. Is that expected behaviour?
  • VonKoz
    Offline / Send Message
    VonKoz polycounter lvl 8
    When I reconfigure my maps. The Albedo (ID) map isn't updating. Am I doing something wrong. For instance if I have an area of color that is now larger in the updated Albedo, it doesn't update when I rebake. Thanks!
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    VonKoz wrote: »
    When I reconfigure my maps. The Albedo (ID) map isn't updating. Am I doing something wrong. For instance if I have an area of color that is now larger in the updated Albedo, it doesn't update when I rebake. Thanks!

Be sure to re-import your map after you re-bake it in your DCC.

These maps don't automatically update when you change them outside of photoshop.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Offline / Send Message
    Quixel has stopped opening for me. Is this common?
  • VonKoz
    Offline / Send Message
    VonKoz polycounter lvl 8
    Be sure to re-import your map after you re-bake it in your DCC.

These maps don't automatically update when you change them outside of photoshop.

No it's not updating after I reconfigure my maps. I hit the "Reimporter" button and then put in my new updated maps into the base creator, then hit rerender. It updates my AO and my normals, but the changes made to the ID Map don't update on my project.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Offline / Send Message
    No it's not updating after I reconfigure my maps. I hit the "Reimporter" button and then put in my new updated maps into the base creator, then hit rerender. It updates my AO and my normals, but the changes made to the ID Map don't update on my project.

Gotcha, your original question wasn't terribly specific in that regard and I wrongly assumed you meant baked from your DCC. Apologies.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone may have already asked about this:

Is there any way to dock the main menu? The floating window for opening nDo dDo and 3Do is obnoxious.

It's difficult to see and I'm constantly having to move it around. Having it on a different monitor requires that I switch between mouse/pen frequently.

I may be misunderstanding the intended use of this menu too. Please advise
  • bakagone
    Offline / Send Message
    bakagone polycounter lvl 10
    @ Eric - Yes, this version is full Japanese and not an english version with japanese set as language.
    I tried to change to japanese language, and it don't make ny difference... and I don't have the opportunity to try in a full English version.

I tried the solution of Gaiascope (deleting photoshop preferences and installing 1.3) and it is not working better >< I gor briefly at the first attempt a little difference : the crash appear almost a the end and not at 40% as usuall. But from the 2nd attempt it went back to "normal" with a crah at 40% and the same error message.
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I switched to using metalness and for some reason I'm having a lot of problems.

Leather doesn't show up at all and sometimes when I apply a new material to a color ID, it gets put inside the material folder of a different one. Not really sure what is causing these issues.
  • calintz9999
    Offline / Send Message
    calintz9999 polycounter lvl 6
    Hi all and Eric

I finally managed to fix the problem. I was handling it the wrong way so I decided to start in the safe mode with quixel suite working and then added the network . At that point, the suite was still working then I switched to diagnostic mode and ... BAAM it stopped working (e.g the quixel bar hangs when u click on any icon and remains like that, no error message , nothing happens).
    So while I was in safe mode , I checked the taskmanager to see what process & services were running , and did the same thing in diagnostic mode .

It turns out the only process that run in diagnostic mode and not in safe mode was ...... the antivirus program. I checked this one out and it was performing a live scan, which probably caught the suite at lauching and stopped it without generating any error message for reasons that I ignore.

For those of you who are in the same boat, check out if the mcafee mcshield (or any antivirus/shield) service is running , either add an exception for the suite or stop the service. It is definitally that one that crashing the suite for me .

@Eric , maybe you could forward this to teddy and the devs, Mcafee doesn't seem to like the suite very much ,something to work. Laters
  • Kemor

I had the same problem with updating the ID map. I solved it by saving my modified ID map under new name (for ex. My ID 2.tga). Then I put manually in ID slot and hit Reinporter. In ma case it helped. I noticed that dDo creates new ID png file but it works and my materials ID's are updated
  • AA3D
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D polycounter lvl 3
    ok so iv got a problem .
    before the latest update dDo was not working for me ( was giving me not supported by photoshop errors ) and 3Do was working fine .

after the latest update 1.4 i found that dDo is working fine .. was very happy ..
    but then 3Do is not working anymore .
    it keeps giving me this error whenever i start it :
    crash.jpg

i would be happy to send the crash reports to any of the devs if you guys have the time

note : i tried the usual . restart computer - start program as admin - trying different meshes for 3Do - not having any mesh at all . its still the same error every time

edit : both dDo and 3Do are working fine after i installed today's update 1.5 .. thx guys
  • VonKoz
    Offline / Send Message
    VonKoz polycounter lvl 8
    Kemor wrote: »
    I had the same problem with updating the ID map. I solved it by saving my modified ID map under new name (for ex. My ID 2.tga). Then I put manually in ID slot and hit Reinporter. In ma case it helped. I noticed that dDo creates new ID png file but it works and my materials ID's are updated

Awesome! Makes perfect sense! Thank you, I'll give it a try!
  • Kemor
    Awesome! Makes perfect sense! Thank you, I'll give it a try!

I hope it helps :))
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there any way to tell a layer not to contribute to a specific output map? Say, i wanted a layer to only contribute to the Ambient Occlusion, and not the Albedo...

currently, i see no way to do this. I could of course change the colour to white on albedo and blend mode to Multiply... but that seems hacky.
  • NoiseCrime
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there any way to tell a layer not to contribute to a specific output map? Say, i wanted a layer to only contribute to the Ambient Occlusion, and not the Albedo...

currently, i see no way to do this. I could of course change the colour to white on albedo and blend mode to Multiply... but that seems hacky.

I believe you can disable the layer on the maps you don't want it active on by holding down ctrl ( or maybe its one of the other modifier keys) when you click on its enable/disable box.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe you can disable the layer on the maps you don't want it active on by holding down ctrl ( or maybe its one of the other modifier keys) when you click on its enable/disable box.

Right you are (shift key), the problem i'm having now is that it doesn't update 3DO when I do that. It updates the maps though.

Interesting!
  • omgeric
    Offline / Send Message
    omgeric polycounter lvl 2
    I figured out the meshes were not showing up - I exported them from Houdini FX. I resave them in Blender and they show up. But for me no .obj directly from Houdini works.
  • Gaiascope
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sad to say that after working correctly for about 4 hours after I re-installed, the exact same error popped up again, so I'm afraid I am still without a solution.
  • teddybergsman
    Gaiascope: Really sorry to hear this. A preview of 1.5 has just been made available -- do you still experience the same issues with 1.5? http://quixel.se/suite/Quixel_SUITE_1.5.zip

omgeric: Thanks for reporting! Feel free to upload the Houdini mesh and we'll have a look ASAP.

- Teddy
  • tungerz
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    thanks for 1.5 release.
    First thing I noticed on a simple cube import, was that quixel was making photoshop save copy's of maps (+ requiring authorization) and same thing to load 3do.
    This the new process?

cheers,
    ~Tung
This discussion has been closed.