Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Abrvpt's art dump

Replies

• Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    I was quite busy lately, but I finally managed to finish the damage on this.

Any suggestion before I move to the low poly ?

1WNLiCQ.jpg

eufMS1t.jpg
  • Mr Smo
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    looks cool, some things i would change would be the cracks in the wood handle, they should be following the grain of the wood (if it is wood). have it around the outer edges leading in to the body of the handle - again following the grain.

the metal parts I would have the damage around the edges rather than evenly over the whole piece. from where its been dropped or smashed against someones skull. the spinning of the barrel and hammer area.

also overall softening the edges will help your bake, if its not too late for hat on this piece.

i do really like the weight of the gun though, really nice!
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Cool man! I saw this and said, that looks familiar. I made the in game asset for Defiance lol. Can't wait to see this textured!
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the comments !

@Mr Smo

Yeah I had some doubts about the cracks in the handle, shame I didn't kept the layer. They was on the concept but I was a bit silly to do them as they were drawn without thinking about the the way the material would have really been. Anyway I kept the undamaged model, I'll get the handle back and redo the wood, that going to be quick.
    On the metal, I was trying to get this very used, low quality metal from the concept, maybe it was a bit silly to do it on the high poly... But I don't want to spent too much time on this piece, I think I'll leave it, but I'll definitely rework the edges as you suggested, with more smoothing and damage.

@slosh

Hey really glad to see you comment on this ! Your model is really nice, I thought it was more interesting to make it with a different approach, more for a FPS.

I'll try to make an update soon, keep in touch !
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Here's the update with more smoothed edges and reworked wood handle. I didn't remade the damage on the edges yet though.

Smooth enough do you think ?

ZYAFe99.jpg
  • Mr Smo
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    nice one :) that should bake alot nicer!
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks Mr Smo =)

Calling the highpoly done, except if I made a HUGE mistake in terms of gun conception.

JXJe3nO.jpg
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Damn, took me too long to do this lowpoly. Anyway, here's a first bake, and in Marmoset 2 ! Quite happy overall, except on some areas...

myPrhdB.jpg

fPEcxIR.jpg

Quite nice...

r4z5ZRF.jpg

Not so good. First, I wonder if it was really clever to do lowpoly holes for such tiny holes in the rail... I had the FPS view in mind but maybe it's silly. Especially when I didn't made lowpoly holes for the side of the barrel. Should I ?
    Also on the top of the rail, I used split geometry in the low, but looks bad. Should I weld the vertices and chamfer ? It will cost quite a lot of polys...

MCySmDJ.jpg

Ha, and the polycount is 4921... A bit high maybe...

Crits much needed and appreciated. =)
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    This looks pretty good man! I think my main crit is everything looks too soft. I like how you beat up the gun but all the metal edges are super soft which just looks odd to me. Even the little vent holes near the front are not crisp. The front muzzle of the gun has completely lost its nice bevel as well. I think metal taking a beating is going to get a lot of surface scratches but not to the extent that you have it. I would scale back on a lot of that soft denting and bring back some nice crips edges to the beveled metal.
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    ^ I agree completely. the damage needs to be toned down. right now its extremely soft and looks like everything is made of modeling foam or clay instead of metal.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Ha damn... I followed Mr Smo lead to soften the edges I had at this stage...
    wg7a.jpg
    Maybe I should be between this level of sharpness and the one of the latest version ?

Anyway I kept this version of the high poly, I'll redo the damage from it and will smooth the edges only if the new bake is too harsh.

Thanks for the comments !
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I think the issue for me is that the wear looks good, but it doesn't make much sense at to why it's there. Also it is too consistent. Think of areas where the gun would most likely come into contact with other surfaces. That's where you want to put there wear. The type of wear you have currently feels a bit off. It's the kind of wear I would expect on a sword or a shield not a gun. Here is some ref to help out.

3425rclose.JPG

Webley_MkI_P0.jpg

This one is large so I will link it:http://www.trapandfield.com/Pages/I%20have%20this%20old%20gun/Colt%20SAA.JPG
  • killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    i realize it's an older piece but i really love the bat in suit and would love to see you take it further.

i think some of the compositional arrangements you're making with this bust are hurting the piece.

i think this is the strongest angle: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/7/wqe4.jpg

turning the head slightly and pointing the eyes towards the camera would be dope.

the cigarette smoke is distracting.

i'd remove the monicle.

i think you should make his skin less shiny and maybe introduce a second or third color in pattern.

his back top molars and gumline, and where his ears meet the skull could be better defined.

i think it could use another pass wrinkles/bumps around the base of the nose and base of the ears and upper "lip"

love the tooth but am not crazy about the scar. i like the all-silver accessories approach but i'd definitely go for a golden tooth.

i'd simplify the pattern and thicken the lines on the eyes for readability. i'd suggest a yellow over the blue.

fuzz on the ears and maybe a slicked back widows peek. so long as it looks nothing like this: http://zombiealert.heliumdc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/f0d0ee.jpg

awesome work.

also, i like the dings and scratches in your gun model.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    @stevston89
    Thanks for the references ! I gathered some others myself to redo this used metal look, I think it looks much better now. Much more damage will be done in the maps, especially the specular.
    And thanks again to slosh and luge for their comments.
    Here's the piece

85dFVae.jpg

@killnpc
    I'm really glad to read comments from you ! =)
    I wasn't planning on doing any more work on this but your intervention confirms that this piece might be the strongest of my works. I'll do an improvement pass on the guy when I'll finished the gun. I decided to redo the damage to make it look more metallic and realistic.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Still on this thing... Getting there, hope it looks more like a gun. =)

YhoRdZN.jpg
    ZO6zq4b.jpg

But (and it's a fat but) I have some issues I didn't had with the previous bake... T__T

LkFW6BJ.jpg
    IJmMfAp.jpg
    yIt4sEH.jpg
    xpjfAFh.jpg

I'm getting rid of the holes in the rail in the lowpoly, quite a pain in the arse. For other areas I have some ideas but I'd really like to have some tips from you guys.
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Did you match the tangent basis of your baking app to Toolbag2?

With that said, the only critique that I have is that you have added uniform 'smash' details into the metal of the gun. Rather than give a story to the wear and tear it seems too evenly place. Most machined metal won't take those massive gouges without mechanically harming the object, at least I don't think.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Yeah possibly... I might be to systematic (again) on the damage. I'll go on on the diffuse once the artefacts are solved, And I'll be able so bake the undamaged version to remove a bit this systematic aspect.

About the tangent basis, I used the basic settings of xNormal actually... I'll try to change the normal display to xNormal in Tollbag, but in the previous bake it was better with the Toolbag normal setting.

Tanks for the comment =)
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    I finally got this thing done ! It's not perfect at all, but not too bad I hope for a first Ddo Legacy try.
    Feel free to comment, I'll probably won't work on this piece again but your advices will be very valuable for future hard surface. =]

D1rMA9Y.jpg
    BIOmmw1.jpg
    9woTECc.jpg
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Happy new year everyone !

Yes I'm late, but it's still January. =p
    So first post of the year, after not finishing my entry for the Riot Challenge, I decide to get back on my gun as you guys suggested. This time I gave substance painter a shot.

ocifVKQ.jpg
    KLxurqc.jpg

Obviously the wood is placeholder, and the picatinny rail, visor, trigger and hammer only have a simple metal material.
    Crits are obviously welcome. =)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Cool, nice to see this piece textured!

Agree with the earlier feedback about the uniform denting, looks more like random noise than true wear 'n' tear. Almost like it was buried in slightly-acidic mud for a few years, rather than worn by years of use.

I like the edge wear you have in the previous post (the one with the flats). If you could keep that, but lose all the dents on the flat parts, that would really help sell it.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Those crazy dents, I wont get away with them this time. ^^
    On the images above I had a mask to make the dents pop up, I deleted it on the picture below. (and did some tweaks as well)

VVYMLmJ.jpg

But they are still too visible, I'll need to bake another normal map with the undamaged high poly.
    Thanks for the comment Eric, and stay tuned! ;)
  • zOffTy
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
    This new PBR render is better than your previous one!

I'm agree with Eric, you should have less deep and big scratches on the flat surfaces and set more scratches on edges :)
    Keep up!
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks zOffTy ! I'll be back on this on the week-end.

I've been trying to put myself in a daily ZBrush sketch routine, didn't manage to get the daily rhythm yet but here's the first acceptable looking one.

WtgZnYk.jpg

It's stylized of course but please comment the mistakes and odd forms, I'll keep your feedback in mind for future sculpts. =)
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Looks good, maybe just work on really defining some of the structure. Since it's stylized you actually want to hit it even harder. Check out this stuff for reference on solid stylized anatomy.

http://florence.lapalu.free.fr/polycount/Prostitutev2_Closeup1.jpg

From this thread.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115372
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks LRoy, good point about the structure. And yes Dishonored characters are really amazing, maybe i'll try to redo the head of the Golden Cat's girl.

More progress on the gun ! Less crazy pits on the metal, more edge wear and some scratches.
    Crit plz !

YocZD2Q.jpg
    OINoLwR.jpg
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Here's how it looks now. Not fully convinced by the wood...

u2ZeyWj.jpg
    syel7Mz.jpg

Any tips for the wood ? I didn't found a way to rotate the wood fibres...
    So I mixed the old handle in, here's a shot in Marmoset. Thoughts ?

ccGkd1a.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Eric Chadwick
    For example, one from that search.

p161663890-5.jpg
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the input Eric !
    I wasn't using the good references clearly, just old wooden panels... Thought I would be able to extrapolate the good informations from that but I wasn't ^^
    So here's a new handle, not calling it done yet but I feel on the right direction.

v2crcdB.jpg
    Jw2OoVX.jpg

What do you think guys ?
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    Hm, I think wood is still... a bit straightforward. Don't know it lacks something.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Reworked it a bit, feels better now... What do you think ?

P6436wa.jpg
    lwynMyO.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Yup, that's great. The edge wear, plus the main darkness/saturation, really helps.

Now the metal stands out for not having the same level of wear. In the reference pic, see how the paint wears away. Your gun has a different kind of paint, but it still needs a more pronounced amount of wear, with more contrast along the edges between worn and unworn.

Wear should be especially strong along the most-protruded parts, like the bottom of the barrel, front edge of the revolver thingy (not a gun guy, sorry!), the rear guard thing above the handle, etc.

Considering how worn the handle is (which is awesome, don't change it!) I think the metal should show more wear.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks Eric, after looking at the new wood I thought about the same thing. So here it is with more wear !

CaEWYEl.jpg
    N8bnY2d.jpg

I'm about to call it done and put it in Marmoset, the normal looks better in it.
    What do you think ? More wear ?
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Calling this guy done !

pdBWgdp.jpg
    fLA8dM8.jpg
    QA6BqNp.jpg
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Nice progress since the first iterations :)
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the comment Jerc ! I wouldn't have this result without Substance Painter. =)
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Hi there ! Here's a new project I'm on, a low poly version of Arcane Zatanna:

lMskTA3.jpg

I'm aiming to sit around 1500 polygons for the character, the less polys possible for the weapon and around 500 for the bird, with fully handpainted textures, no high poly involved. My main reference comes from Devon Cady-Lee:

devon-cady-lee-arcane-zatanna-presentation.jpg?1428806204

Critiques are most welcome. =)
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the gun came out pretty cool but the presentation of it isnt great, the darker gray background in the previous post looked better in my opinion and the basic times new roman font makes it look like you didnt make much effort to put style into your presentation which is a shame after working so hard on the model.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the comment Ged, at the time I found the presentation decent but I admit now it could use some work. Will rework that soon.

Some progress on this lady, sitting now at 1462 polys. I'll do the asymmetrical parts after the UV's.

ORumPJD.jpg
    npDGp1G.jpg
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Thickened the legs and widened the hips a bit, looks better now.

EO8F5bB.jpg

Crits are very welcome. =)
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Well I decided to start something new, something more in my comfort zone. The goal is to make a current gen realtime bust with SSS shading.

UeAh9mI.jpg

I already feel that there's something wrong with the mouth... Didn't figuredwhat yet.
    Crit very welcome !
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Figured out the mouth ! The placeholder teeth didn't had good proportions and shape so the landmarks was off. I think it's better now, what do you think ?

VCnejIt.jpg

Also because I really don't know who she is, I started sketching some haircuts.

Nnp3Z9Q.jpg
    Ok the last one is really silly. I was thinking in silhouette...

Also some gearing sketches, with a sci-fi mood for the bottom ones. The top ones could be fantasy or victorian/ steampunk-ish. Wich ones do you like most ?

kMNk7qR.jpg

Crits very welcome !
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Some progress...

OynELRD.jpg

My good friend zoffty pointed out that the eyes were too big.
    I also reduced the size of the lower part of the face,did some asymmetry and added some first details.

Please crit !
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    face is looking better! reminds me of the morgana actress from bbc merlin tv series.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks Ged ! Well it's funny my character reminds me of her, I didn't knew anything about the show or the actress before you mentioned them. But I can see why you had this impression. =)

Got busy on other things those past two weeks but I'm back at this. Mainly focused on sketching the outfit, you might have influenced me here Ged because she's becoming a sort of combat witch. And it was more in my comfort zone than a sci-fi outfit. But I'll might do it later. Also the face had very mine changes, the more noticeable is the absence of pits in the cheeks, I had some comments saying that they where looking odd on someone who doesn't smile.
    Anyway enough talk, here's the pic.

zPGZ24r.jpg

Not decided yet about the hair and the strange eyes are just a quick test.
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Prefer the hair on the right, if the side strips were braided. Feels like a small jewel of some sort should be in that empty space right below her choker/collar.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Hey pixelpatron, I also think that the right hairstyle is... the right one. =) Not sure about the braids yet, not aesthetically but technically. I want to stay relatively in the comfort zone for this one... but I'll think about it. Thanks !

Here's some little progress:

ysni11c.jpg

Oe3VHzm.jpg

Worked mainly on the mouth and slightly on the chin, also very little on the outfit. I think the lace kinda fills the empty space on the gorget so I moved pixelpatron's jewel idea on the collar itself. Got to try different options though.

As usual, crit's very welcome. =)
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    I think youre up to the challenge of doing braids :)
    I think you could push the cupids bow on the lips little bit more on the upper lip and deepen the philtrum a bit too.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the comment MrHobo =)

Actually I like the flat cupid bow, but on the following image I tried to shape it more while keeping it quite flat. Deepened the philtrum a bit as well. I was inspired by my wife for the upper lip, she has a flat cupid bow an almost flat philtrum as well but it's very challenging to sculpt it right, very subtle. I think this it's kind of a compromise here.

zfQ6Hrb.jpg

Also while sketching braids, I realized that I misread pixelpatron and that he was talking about stuck braids (is that correct in english ? ) as sketched on 1. He probably meant 2. On sketch 3 it would be free braids tucked into the hair-band behind, showing almost no temple skin. The two other are combinations.

8UVXRng.jpg

I think I'll go for 3 or 5. What do you think ?
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Ya, you understood what I meant (side of the head for the braids). I'd go with 5 I like that the bangs are braided too, and the side braids being larger read better (image 5).