Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Abrvpt's art dump

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
Hello there polycounters ! I'm presenting to you some of my modest work, with a bit of anxiety.
First a short presentation of myself... I'm a 3d artist, quite generalist at the time, out of necessity. I'm trying to specialize myself in the modeling an texturing of characters, especially creatures.

So first, a sculpt from a caricature by Jason Seiler.

abrvptglucas.jpg

Then, an old ugliness I'm trying to finish.

abrvptcreature01.jpg

Hope to read some comments from you guys. =)

Replies

• Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Some crossposting for the Art Jam thread. I really enjoyed doing this, breaking the symmetry, creasing, trimming... But I also felt my lacks in anatomy, the artists at Arkane Studio didn't invented a single muscle, unlike me...
    Anyway, here it is.

abrvptdishonoredjam.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    This is great work. I love how defined the Dishonored sculpt is, such a great face.

The creature isn't working as well for me, I think maybe the cold flat lighting is killing it, it's pulling the life out of the skin. Could be the shader too. His left pinky is posed a bit like a thumb, throws me off a little. I wonder if you added some black hand-back or forearm hairs, if that would tie the colors together more, since the head hair is so alone and stark up there.
  • makecg
    Wow that first one is king. love it
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    makecg : Thanks for the comment =) But I had an excellent painting to start from.

Eric Chadwick : Many thanks for your comments.
    The blue lighting is not that great yes... I was trying to get my hands into rendering in ZBrush, I'll do a proper lighting for the final model.
    I also though about more haire also... I'll add them straight on the final texture, no need to sculpt or polypaint them I guess.

Here's another render of the Dishonored bust.

abrvptdishonoredstylepo.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    I think this bust shows a good understanding of anatomy. Maybe it's all in your reference already, but you still have to sculpt it, and add what wasn't there.

A small thing that bugs me is the shirt and clasp are a different style from the head. Very crisp and sharp and smooth. But the head and hair are very marble-statue style. I like how the hair is less detailed than the eyes, keeps the focus where it counts. Maybe you just didn't want to deal with the hair, ha! But the clasp and the collar sharpness are fighting the compositional flow.

Also I was thinking maybe the creature could use some subtle blue/green veining, to bring some more color into the flesh, also in keeping with the coldness theme.

Great work!
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Yes I see what you mean about the shirt... I had the sculpt of Lord Pendleton for reference on this, but mine turned quite different.
    For the hair, I didn't wanted to spent to much time on them yes, and I was also aware that it would distract the viewer from more interesting area.
    Thanks for your input man, I'll work this piece a bit more to make it really portfolio-worthy. =) Especially the skin grain, for now it's just a subtle uniform noise from ZBrush.

And good point on the veins ! I'll add them soon.
  • makecg
    Nice man I like him alot more now
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Hey makecg thanks for dropping by. =)

Long time since the last post... Here's some polypainting progress on this bastard.

abrvptbastarddishonored.jpg
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    - double post -
    The server seems to have hard times...
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Calling the polypaint on the face done, except if you have some crits.

Hope you'll like it !

• minorthreat
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    That creature is horrifying, its throat is so gross lol. This is all so awesome.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    That creature is horrifying, its throat is so gross lol. This is all so awesome.

Yes but he's made some awesome movies.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the comment guys. =)

I've been really busy with some commissioned work (wich I'm not authorized to show yet), just made a quick doodle to breathe a little.

wzj9.jpg
  • Dubzski
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    I really like that character bust, some lovely values in the texture and his hair has a good style. Would like to see some more!
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the comment Dubzski =)

I recently finished an important part of a commissioned work, so I managed to take time finish this guy.
    On the previous versions I went really crazy on the contrast, this one looks much more natural I think, so I'm calling it done.

ioep.jpg

Several BPR passes composed in photoshop.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Starting to get my hands in Marmoset Toolbag... Quite happy with the result Except some awfully visible seams, especially on the back. :/

npcx.jpg
    4ycg.jpg

I think it mainly comes from the normal. I baked the maps in XNormal using those settings:
    - Exported normals instead of Average normals for both high and low poly
    - Maximum frontal and rear ray distance at 0.5 for the low poly.
    Are those settings wrong ? They are default actually maybe not the best... If you have a thread or tutorial to show me about this, that would be very helpful. =)
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Got those silly seams fixed, it was a simple export problem from 3ds Max, I didn't exported the low poly model normals.
    Almost done on the texture, the specular needs some tweaks but I'm feeling almost there ! Next step, posing.

3enz.jpg
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    That creature is disgusting, in a good way. Great job!
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks ! I'm on the rigging now, not the funniest part. :p But I can't let it in this pose, especially because it's not balanced at all.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Got this thing rigged, and made a first pose. I also downsized the maps from 2048 to 1024, seems clean.
    Tell me what you think ^^ (or not)

jxq5.jpg

nxye.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Looks pretty good. Fine wrinkles are preserved.

Specular seems to be very evenly strong, do you have a map for it? For example on the back of the elbow I would expect it to not be very shiny, because the skin is rough there. Where ever the skin is pulled tight, specular would be shiny, but where the skin is wrinkled or compressed, the specular would be much weaker.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Yeah got a bit crazy on the specular... I do have a map for it but I'm not very experienced with specular maps. I'll give it more variations and remove the specular on the knees and elbows.
    Thanks a lot for the crit ! ;)
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Updated with more reasonable specular.
    Still, I like with quite a lot of spec, looks wet and even more disgusting. ^^

3ssr.jpg
  • Higuy
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    That monster looks pretty nice, but whats up with the little scraps protecting his junk? I mean honestly, one gripe I've always had with horror games and monsters in general is that they will always be completley naked except for that part... If a monster is going around ripping people to shreds, I highly doubt he will care about protecting you from seeing his junk :p. Just a little though there, but overall it does look nice!
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks a lot Higuy !
    Yeah I kinda agree with what you're saying, that why you can actually a part of it's junk under the cloth... ^^ Actually this piece started just as a sketch with no precise design, and I found it a bit bland naked, that's why I added the "skirt" and the hair.
    I do have an elaborated monster design with no clothing whatsoever ^^ but i's actually so gross that I'm not sure if it's a good idea to even make it.
    Anyway, calling this piece done ! I need to move on making my portfolio now.

cpp0.jpg

2qz7.jpg
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    I decided to rework this old piece to pimp it a little bit for my portfolio and ended polishing it quite a lot... Tried to put my hands in ZBrush matcaps to get something interesting for the teeth, since I didn't found what I was looking for on the Pixologic download center... It's harder than I thought. Any idea for a nice matcap for the teeth ?

Anyway here's the guy, please crit on every aspects of this work.

dmnp.jpg

wqe4.jpg
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    He looks really cool! Regarding the teeth, they do have quite a lot of spec on them because they get moisturized with saliva. ToyPlastic with a bit of tweaking usually works great on something like teeth as well as on gums (they're moist too, look it up).

The shirt and the jacket look super clean! And the alphas tile nicely.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Hey Viktor, thanks for the comment !
    Yeah ToyPlastic of course ! I'll give it a shot. The wetness is precisely what I was looking for, I'll put some inside the eyelids also.
    Glad you like the jacket and shirt =) It's a single mesh started from an extraction actually, but I ZRemeshed it with an important influcence of guides. Then I used UV Master with symmetry on and island by polygroups activated, then used alphas from Pixologic Download Center in the Surface Noise interface. I'll make a quick breakdown of this if anyone's interested. ^^
  • MartinH
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    my first crit would be that i'd like to see the whole character finished, he oozes personality.

Demon bust is by far the strongest piece in this thread.

I'm no character artist but if i'd offer any suggestions it would be the tip of that severed ear. I looks a bit too clean. Did it get cut off, was it bit off? etc, i feel you could put a bit more effort into that little detail and it would go a long way.

Also, if you're not planning on doing a low poly version of this, maybe try and work in a bit of asymmetry in the face. That would go along way to make the character come alive a bit more.

All in all, really cool bust, i dig it!
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    I'm really glad you like him MartinH !
    Unfortunately I won't do the whole character for now... but maybe later. ^^
    I'll try to break the symmetry more, I already had this critique. Maybe scars, or a monocle could do the trick ?
    I'll work the ear also. Again thanks for the comment !

I made some color tests for the outfit, what do you think ?

dpsx.jpg

PS: Toy Plastinc was a nice base for the teeth, thanks Viktor !
  • CougarJo
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Nice :D He's scary!

Huum, I would say E. I don't very like colored shirt.
  • Kosai106
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    Personally I really like B! :)
  • NyneDown
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Looking kewl! Not knowing the back story on who he is, it's hard to say which is more fitting for his personality. But I like A just because it has more contrast. Keep it up man!
  • ultra
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    I like E, btw great work in here!
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    D, F, and H all read the best.
    I want to like A but the white shirt overpowers the face and smile.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Yep, the teeth and gums with toyplastic material are looking much better! A nice touch to the nose cavity as well.
    As for color choices, I personally like E, F and G. Red colored jacket would blend in with the face a bit too much for my liking. Definitely try giving him a monocle or transparent eyeglasses just as an experiment, might look pretty cool.
  • CarelessMonday
    Offline / Send Message
    CarelessMonday polycounter lvl 9
    B, but with the shirt the same red as the jacket from C, for some reason I really want to see this character with collar clips and a bolo tie?
  • Analdin
    Offline / Send Message
    Analdin polycounter lvl 6
    I like E the best, but it'd look better with a dark grey tie instead of the red one; the red face already provides a nice contrast to the suit and shirt, the red tie is diluting that.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    B, it is just attractive and this is how I dressed the day before Halloween. ;)

But whatever you choose I guess will be good too.
  • ILLMATICC
    Offline / Send Message
    ILLMATICC polycounter lvl 6
    I really like the colour way of F :)
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Woa guys, I never guessed I'd have so much feedback, thanks a lot ! I'm really glad you like this piece.

Made some other tests according to your comments...

k4p7.jpg

Funny how much people prefer E, it's the one I like less. :p I tried what you suggested Analdin (I see what you did here) but it didn't worked out unfortunately.
    I kinda agree with you Viktor, even if in a way a white shirt can visually support the teeth.
    I tried to step out of the red, but I think it doesn't work so great. I'll go for I, but possibly make a try again with E but with golden buttons and cigarette holder.

Thanks again for your comments !
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Added a monocle... might thicken the chain, but I think it's not enough to break the symmetry.

qzsp.jpg

Feel free to comment !
  • NyneDown
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Nice man...I'm diggin' the monocle. I think adding some more asymmetry to his face will definitely help, maybe try squinting his right eye a little to hold the monocle in place? Looking forward to more updates.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    E but with a black tie. Actually you latest looks good, but the dark purple jacket looks better.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the comments ! I could polish more with a more asymmetrical face and another colour scheme, but I really need to move on other stuff, especially my portfolio.
    So, here the finals. =) Many thanks for the great feedback, really helped me doing a better piece.

3bxu.jpg

HD version here

3jyd.jpg
  • ShockInfinite
    That is breathtaking msn!
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks a lot ShockInfinite !
    I realise that I forgot to do some clayshots for this guy, will do later.

Happy new year everyone !
    Here's my first wip of 2014, the LowTech pistol from Defiance, designed by Pete Han.
    - original concept -
    I never played the game or watched the show but I wanted to do some weapons from someone design before trying to design them on my own, and I thought this one was a good choice for a first shot.
    I also looked at the game 3d model and I'm planning do to something more in a FPS approach, with something around 5000 tris maybe ?
    So, enough with the bladdy blah, here's the first block out.

vgkl.jpg

rga5.jpg
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Here it is after the first Zbrush pass. Instead of doing smooth edges in polygonal modeling, I tried a workflow where I imported the geometry in Zbrush, used crease to maintain some hard edges, then I dynameshed the geometry with booleans. The dynamesh topo being quite equal, it's easy to smooth the edges with the polish feature.
    The drawback of this is that most of my pieces have quite an heavy polycount... Not sure if I'll use this workflow on the next weapon.

dq8j.jpg

2ate.jpg
  • killazzz
    Really solid Character/Creature work man!
    Gotta say that the Dishonored one is boss.
    Its good to see your doing some Hard Surface work!
    Nice progress on the pistol.
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks killazzz ! Glad you like my work. =)

Here's some more progress on this gun. Next step, damage !

wg7a.jpg