Home General Discussion

Game of Thrones

Replies

• katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Well he did just spend a serious amount of time in a dungeon cell for something he didnt do.

Possible his state of mind was easily snapped when seeing Shae for what she was...a heart can only take so much.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Did you all forget how Tyrion was mocked and ridiculed by her during his trial or something? She broke his heart, she embarrassed him, she made fun of him in front of the entire council and those attending the trial. He snapped.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    She was also sleeping with Tywin it seemed. In that scene she says Tywin's name before she rolls over and realizes its Tyrion. That didn't help I'm sure...
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Not only that but they show the clothes of Tywin on the chair, with the hand pin on it. So she is sleeping with Tywin. He is pretty heart broken i think.
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    I know all of that. I guess it's because he was never a very violent or impulsive character and it seemed like despite all that crap that happened to him he still was somewhat sane, even if hollow and bitter.

That whole "that was the worst thing you could have said" didn't sound like something a heartbroken, shaken or angry man would say IMO.
    It sounds quite cynical and emotionless if anything.
    Maybe it's a matter of interpretation, I dunno.

But whatever, it happened and it would be pointless to bitch about it.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i haven't seen any of this season, but this is how that event goes in the books:
    Jaime rescues Tyrion from his cell, tells Tyrion before he goes that he owes him the truth;
    Tysha (Tyrion's first love) was never a whore, that was a lie Jaime was commanded by Tywin to tell Tyrion. He swears he never knew Tywin's intentions for her, with giving her to all of the guards. Tyrion doesn't take this very well, he swears revenge on Jaime, Cercei, and Tywin.
    Tyrion also claims responsibility for Joffrey's death, saying "he would have been worse than the mad king if he'd have lived".
    Jaime offers to go with him, but he says no, and quips that they will be an "even match" if they ever come to blows now that Jaime can only fight with his left hand.
    Tyrion goes with Varys who leads him to the bottom of the tower of the hand, Tyrion goes up the tower despite Varys' protests.
    Tyrion meets Shae in the bed, who doesn't realise it's him and calls him "my lord". He remembers an old song:
    O'er the wynds and the steps and cobbles,
    He rode to a woman's sigh.
    For she was his secret treasure,
    She was his shame and his bliss.
    A chain and a keep are nothing,
    compared to a waoman's kiss.
    For hands of gold are always cold,
    But a woman's hands are warm.

When Shae tries to talk her way out of it, asking if he will take her with him, he sees the golden necklace of the hand of the king around her throat (a necklace made of golden hands clasping each other). She finally refers to him as "my lion of lannister" and this tips him over the edge, he strangles her with the necklace while reciting the last two lines of the song.

Tyrion then confronts Tywin on the lavatory asking him what happend to Tysha. Tywin says "the whore?" and Tyrion threatens to shoot him if he says that word again. He asks where she went, and Tywin says "wherever whore's go", and Tyrion shoots him once in the gut.

The chapter ends rather awesomely with:
    "...the oft repeated jape about his father was just another lie, Lord Tywin Lannister in the end did not shit gold".
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah I wanted Tyrion to be saying 'Where do whores go?' in the next series, like he does in the book, but they completely removed that from the TV show. Lame. I think it's a big part of Tyrion's character..
  • mats effect
    Been looking forward to seeing Stannis turn up at the wall for ages. In general though the show is starting to ware off a little bit for me, i much more enjoyed the books.
  • kwakkie
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Havent read the book but I couldnt catch anything regarding teasing of something that didnt happen? Everything seemed to be wrapped up pretty nicely imo.

Spoilers if you havent seen the show final:
    I do think the whole Stannis showing up thing was a bit rushed, if they saved that scene until the end and made it look a bit more epic than that 'RTS scene' I would have been surprised as fuck. Now I felt a bit 'meh' about it even though this probably indicates a very important turning point. IE: Getting support from the iron bank, the Nights watch calling him their king, his sudden interest in the north, following melissandre visions.

Looks like there's not much interesting left to tell about events in 'the kingdom' for the 5th season and the story will probably focus on stuff happening in essos and north of the wall? Is it like that in the books? The only interesting plots centered around the kingdom would be house bolton vs the ironborn, the lannisters vs the martels and littlefinger playing his cards in the meantime if I had to guess?
  • iconoplast
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    kwakkie wrote: »
    Havent read the book but I couldnt catch anything regarding teasing of something that didnt happen? Everything seemed to be wrapped up pretty nicely imo.
    The teasing for the thing that didn't happen was subtle. It's only something you'd notice if you know about the thing (and presumably once they get to it you'll be able to go back and notice it).

The rest of what's in the books is (not really spoilers, but just in case)
    mostly a series of "Meanwhile..." moments -- lots happens, but not much time passes. There are still a fair number of characters that need to be followed up on. IIRC most of it does happen outside the boundaries of the kingdom, but it's still pretty significant for it.
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    iconoplast: Is that the glance across the fire? I think I know already, been able to connect that with a previous character that wasn't in the latest season.

And where the hell are Black Fish and Benjen Stark - something I have no idea about, but would like to know about.

Also, Mance Rayder, Stannis Barratheon and John Snow - can see them working together for some reason, based from the latest episode.
  • mats effect
    kwakkie wrote: »

Spoilers if you havent seen the show final:
    I do think the whole Stannis showing up thing was a bit rushed, if they saved that scene until the end and made it look a bit more epic than that 'RTS scene' I would have been surprised as fuck. Now I felt a bit 'meh' about it even though this probably indicates a very important turning point. IE: Getting support from the iron bank, the Nights watch calling him their king, his sudden interest in the north, following melissandre visions.
    Yeah it could have been much better, also I didn't think it got the point across that they just kicked the ass of the entire wildling army it looked like they just charged a camp of about 50 of them.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    also I didn't think it got the point across that they just kicked the ass of the entire wildling army it looked like they just charged a camp of about 50 of them.

That's pretty much how it was meant to go down. Mance united the Free Folk and led them south to avoid being slaughtered; the plan isn't to run straight into it on the battlefield (not all the wildlings are blood thirsty savages). They were prepared to face a severely under-manned (and potentially ambushed) Castle Black. What they got was the last thing they were expecting: a properly equipped and mounted war machine their side of the wall. They were caught off guard and flanked, and so their ranks (and the siege) broke pretty quickly. Their ass was kicked in the sense that they didn't even get a chance to put up a fight, they were overwhelmed into surrender and/or retreat.
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    I see no one mentioned about Arya going to see the faceless man in braavos or at least sparked a discussion about it, I am excited however, Jaqen H'Ghar was one of my favorite characters for the short period of time.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Shs's on her way there. Gave the coin and the password to a trader so she can get a ride to Bravoss.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    SaboR1996 wrote: »
    I see no one mentioned about Arya going to see the faceless man in braavos or at least sparked a discussion about it, I am excited however, Jaqen H'Ghar was one of my favorite characters for the short period of time.
    you never see him again
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    you never see him again
    Maybe
    you see him with a different face in Oldtown!
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    How exactly did they get on the other side of the wall?
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Muzz wrote: »
    How exactly did they get on the other side of the wall?

In the books they take a boat to the other side of it, I think. Which makes me think; why don't the Wildings do the same thing?
  • vargatom
    Did those wildlings look to you like people who can build large boats? :)

The Wall has three fortresses still manned by the Night's Watch, one of them is on the eastern shore of the continent. I think they're sort of watching over the sea from there and that's also where the fleet of Stannis has gotten through.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Isn't it also hinted at that Davos was needed to help guide the ships through as the waters aren't considered the safest in the world?
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah I kinda thought the same thing once I'd made my post, heh. Makes sense!

Edit - Don't you also go past Skagos too? I think because the waters are quite rough, a lot of sailors get swept onto the island of Skagos and don't survive, probably due to all the nasty cannibals living there. :)
    Is it still just a theory that Rickon goes to Skagos with Osha, or has that been confirmed?
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    you never see him again
    I mean as the new guy, not sure of his name, but to me he will always be Jaqen, but if you don't, at all. then thats disappointing as hell
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    vargatom wrote: »
    Did those wildlings look to you like people who can build large boats? :)

The Wall has three fortresses still manned by the Night's Watch, one of them is on the eastern shore of the continent. I think they're sort of watching over the sea from there and that's also where the fleet of Stannis has gotten through.
    if they can befriend giants, they can make boats
  • iconoplast
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast: Is that the glance across the fire? I think I know already, been able to connect that with a previous character that wasn't in the latest season.
    There are a number of them -- that one wasn't in my original count, but on reflection it could be. Hard to say for sure.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I was hoping polycount would give more love to that gorgeous skeleton vs Hodor fight in the end, that was some well done CG <3
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, I really enjoyed when the
    skeletons popped out
    . That scene looked EXPENSIVE. It got a little video gamey though, that was the first scene that really went crazy with the fantasy elements. In one scene you have walking skeletons, bran controlling hodor's mind, and some weird child creature throwing fireballs. That's pretty out there compared to most things we've seen.

I really loved the episode though, and I especially liked the Brienne vs the Hound fight. This was the first fight where I really cared just as much about each of the characters so I was definitely conflicted while watching it.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Not good ones, and not nearly enough (its not just an army, its the entire population with their livestock, etc that they want to get across). Quality boats would take too long to make when they have an enemy at their backs, and they'd still be more dangerous than capturing a poorly defended tunnel.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    if i remember rightly from the books, Jon sent scouts to the nearest wildling fishing villages to see the state of their ships and such, the reports came back that the harbours had all but frozen over and the "ships" were locked in anyway.
  • vargatom
    SaboR1996 wrote: »

Huhh? What kind of logic is that?

Ship building takes serious engineering knowledge and advanced tools and metallurgy and such. The wildlings can barely put their hands on a few metal weapons, most of which they need to scavenge from Night's Watch patrols and scavenging runs south of the Wall. They're still living in tribes, most haven't even seen houses made of stone at all.

Doesn't mean that they couldn't build boats which could cross great distances. But a few boats won't get a hundred thousand people around the Wall.
  • vargatom
    Skeleton
    fight was done at Scanline Pictures, a movie VFX studio. I think MPC did the crowd shots.
  • Kitty|Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    book:
    Arent there also simultainious attacks on both the western watch and eastern watch by the wildings in the books? I seem to remember a mentioning of that with one of the commanders being injured at the shadow tower/west watch by the bridge.
    however on thinking further I think those attacks may happen after the main one at castle black
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you're correct KittyOwl.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Shiniku wrote: »
    Yeah, I really enjoyed when the
    skeletons popped out
    . That scene looked EXPENSIVE. It got a little video gamey though, that was the first scene that really went crazy with the fantasy elements. In one scene you have walking skeletons, bran controlling hodor's mind, and some weird child creature throwing fireballs. That's pretty out there compared to most things we've seen.

I really loved the episode though, and I especially liked the Brienne vs the Hound fight. This was the first fight where I really cared just as much about each of the characters so I was definitely conflicted while watching it.

Man, Brienne is pretty badass
    to beat the Hound in a fight
    . I agree that they did an excellent job making it really hard to determine who would win the fight...great scene.
  • Daew
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    Ok so i rewatched episode 10.
    Question for book readers. Does it ever say how Hodor feels about all the warging. I know bran does it mainly when they are in danger but it feels so pervasive. Hodor abandoning Bran one day? or will he just Hodor away.
    And also in the skeleton fight, Hodor uses a hammer from a skeleton to fight. I remember there was something about Bran the builder? does this signify anything?
  • iconoplast
    Offline / Send Message
    How Hodor feels is never a straightforward issue, but I can't imagine him ever abandoning anyone. He's probably the one character whose loyalty I wouldn't question. (Now that I've said that, I expect I'll regret it later in the story. That's how it seems to work.)
    Bran the Builder was supposedly the founder of House Stark. He may not have ever existed -- it's far enough back in history that no one could say definitively. I think the hammer was just a hammer. When you need to kill something quickly you use whatever's at hand.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Are Hodor's thoughts and feelings addressed in the book at all or is he just as much of a blank slate?

He'll probably turn out to be Kaiser Soze in the end.
  • Daew
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    I think the hammer was just a hammer. When you need to kill something quickly you use whatever's at hand.

haha yeh, I think I'm grasping for straws when I try to predict who will survive. Someone has to live in the end right??
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Hodors feelings are never described from his own point of view, however Bran gets an impression of Hodors feelings when he wargs into him.

Hodor generally speaking doesn't seem to like it.
  • iconoplast
    Offline / Send Message
    You can also glean a bit of how he's feeling from his reactions and how much he talks (or doesn't). I don't know if that's as clear in the show.

I don't blame Hodor for not liking it; I'd be fairly unhappy if someone took over my head and made me do things too.
  • vargatom
    I have to wonder if there might be some surprises about Hodor later on...
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    His biggest surprise so far is that his name isn't Hodor.
  • kwakkie
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Game of Thrones, Season 4 – VFX making of reel:
    http://vimeo.com/100095868
  • Chromogen
    Shinigami wrote: »
    Apparently episodes 1-4 leaked. Easy to find online

Having to wait another 4 weeks until the show catches up to me? No thanks.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Shinigami wrote: »
    Apparently episodes 1-4 leaked. Easy to find online

They really should release full season in on day, and simply let people over entire world pay to watch it. I would pay.

I really don't get what is the point of what episode per week, and more over not in every country.
    And then they wonder, why people torrent their series on mass scale..
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    iniside wrote: »
    They really should release full season in on day, and simply let people over entire world pay to watch it. I would pay.

big business won't like that.
    Just think of all the people suddenly taking a day off.
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    this way they can continue to make another season while you're being entertained by the old one. If you crush an entire season in one day by time they are ready to release another one they risk fans forgetting about the show, or what happened, or just losing interest, etc

unless it's just a one season show

also the money side of things
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Except there aren't ads during GoT :P
    Besides, they want you to maintain your subscription. If you could watch it all, in one night, then why keep HBO going? Just drop it, and renew in 6 months.

Good episode, though not much worth discussion.
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    It feels so good to watch the show again. Can't wait to see what happens with Tyrion and Jon next :) Too bad we have to wait a week between each episode, it kills me :(
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    notman wrote: »
    Except there aren't ads during GoT :P
    Besides, they want you to maintain your subscription. If you could watch it all, in one night, then why keep HBO going? Just drop it, and renew in 6 months.

Good episode, though not much worth discussion.

So I can rewatch, watch something else ?

Netflix doesn't have problem with dumping entire season at once ;) (but they have problem with being accessible everywhere, though I understand it's not really their fault).

My point is, we have internet, I want to watch at my leisure. Not when some dumb ceo, thinks I should watch. If they can't understand it, they won't get my money.
    I don't particularly care. I have read books, so whatever ;p.