Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge | June 2014 | Techno Vikings

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    @papercut I was using this as ref for her face. Mostly for her feel.
    1fe39d18bd299c95a815d10e3b203c11.jpg

@Jere0020 Usually we use external image hosting site. I use imgur. Then we simply copy its URL like www.website.com/filename.jpg, and wrap it in tag. As for your blockout. Good start there ! Her upper body posture is off, though.  RIght now she's leaning back too much while her neck+head leans forward. Judging by her lower body, the center of her gravity should be over her toes, not over her heels.  @DonEngland Nice low res there. !
  • dwgagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwgagner polycounter lvl 7
    Just a general comment to pretty much everyone doing this challenge. It seems like a lot of people are getting caught up in the details before fleshing out the anatomy and overall proportions of the character which are the 2 most important things to focus on.

Suggestions: Spend a lot more time on anatomy, paying attention to rythm of the human form and getting your proportions feeling really solid.

Secondly, FORGET ABOUT THE STUPID BEARD, don't sculpt it at all in fact. Paint it in afterwards in Photoshop. There is literally no reason to sculpt in facial hair because you will only end up with a lumpy terrible mass that at best feels like a greek statue of stylized carved hair or at worst a lumpy potatoe.

Thirdly always always ALWAYS be looking at reference while sculpting.

Hope I'm not ruining anyones day, this was meant to help.
  • TH98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TH98 polycounter lvl 12
    dwgagner wrote: »
    Just a general comment to pretty much everyone doing this challenge. It seems like a lot of people are getting caught up in the details before fleshing out the anatomy and overall proportions of the character which are the 2 most important things to focus on.

Suggestions: Spend a lot more time on anatomy, paying attention to rythm of the human form and getting your proportions feeling really solid.

Secondly, FORGET ABOUT THE STUPID BEARD, don't sculpt it at all in fact. Paint it in afterwards in Photoshop. There is literally no reason to sculpt in facial hair because you will only end up with a lumpy terrible mass that at best feels like a greek statue of stylized carved hair or at worst a lumpy potatoe.

Haha I was spending all my time away from the computer stressing about that beard and wondering how I was going to do it, this is actually really helpful :D
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheDarkKnight polycounter lvl 13
    Some small work done today, all still very WIP, will do some decent feedback on my next update, very tired here.

lQjfoRf.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwgagner wrote: »

I think the reason the 'proportion before details' is repeated so many times around here is that many aren't able to perceive the anatomy issue. AKA skills > perception. And people go like 'Ok, that looks quite good, let's move on' instead of 'oh, I'd better double check and triple check that torso area from all 360' angles.' I know I do that myself <_<"

@TheDarkKnight Not sure where his elbows are, or his lower body gonna be like, but his arms seem a little short. He's barely to reach his crotch.

Also, guys, what do you think of we come up with themes for future challenges ? Say, examples; 'Star Wars' or 'Off-Worlder' for July and 'Steampunk' for August. Or do we stick with the current and simply go by vote counts and all concepts are fair game ?
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We could do that. Just not sure if it's too much trouble for little gains or not.

Example:
    19-22 June = Theme Vote.
    23-28 June = Concept Vote

Feels like it's overkill for no reason.
  • TH98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TH98 polycounter lvl 12
    I kind of like random concept voting. More chance for weird unusual stuff that wouldn't fit in a theme, I think.
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    I think you should avoid themes for the exact reason TH98 brings up. It'll allow for some weirder themes to pop up that otherwise wouldn't have been posted. For example, I've noticed this has focused primarily on human characters. How about some goblins, imps, orcs, demons, monsters, etc? You could go with themes, but I think the possibilities of more fun concepts popping up will happen keeping it the way it is.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's what I thought too. Sounds good. Themeless, anything goes, it is.

Btw, Demons went last month :)
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently where my horrid wip is sitting. Still deciding if this one should be sent off to the recycle bin or if this is salvageable in any degree.
    Vikinggirl1wip_zpsd47ad8a8.jpg

I'll post some comments and critiques tomorrow for the recent fantastic updates from you guys and gals.
  • TH98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TH98 polycounter lvl 12
    @thepapercut - Check your proportions! If you're not comfortable modeling a human figure, load up some orthos and model to those, to make sure everything is the right size.

Also since I haven't posted anything yet, just started doing some hipoly work in Maya before I take it into Zbrush. I started the head but it's on another computer so it'll have to wait.

rbdRyvq.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @thepapercut I don't think you have to start over. It's mostly just moving those polys into shape and it will look a hella better.

3a9af886a32025ab5fe8c1f420449e35.jpg96fbd75b2b59953e3a26d97d445dec93.jpg
  • Lilith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @dwgagner
    You`re right, and in general I would agree with you. But I think It all depends on your goal for this challenge. The goal of this challenge is to finish textured lowpoly model withing deadline and that is very important.
    Often when people are trying to do something better, but it is impossible because they still do not have the appropriate skills they just quit their models in despair. I know, I had a whole cemetery of such characters / stones / houses etc. :) And I`ve seen my students did it, everyone does it - stop working on model/concept is they don`t like it.
    If you have a lot of time, then it`s ok. You can probably do some research and tweak your model, but if you time is limited(which is usually the case) then I would recommend to set mini-deadlines for yourself. And if you reached deadline for highpoly, but you still don`t like it - go to the next stage anyway.
    As for studying anatomy, I found for myself it`s earier to practice it separetly os characters. Just sculpting from a sphere 1 hour a day with photoreference. It`s so much earier when you don`t have to think about million other things tike modelling props, or how to make lowpoly work. Just anatomy practice, it can be only a head, or arm, or posture study. Suddenly anatomy studies become fun and quite relaxing, and not stressful :) It helps a lot when you turn symmetry off, then you really start to scuplt, not just moving voxels around. Practice makes perfect and you won`t get a lot of anatomy practice by making 1 character a month.

In this challenge there is another point - the complete model to grow your skills. Just by finishing something, we can learn something new. For me, it is important to better understand the pbr materials, presentation , besides I will need to explore additional things that I as an environment artist I never use at work - such as creating realistic surfaces (fabric, leather) in ZBrush. Those are my purposes for this challenge and I know that a month will be enought is I won`t dwell on other stuff like super-realistic proportions.

While studying these things we`re still evolving, the first time it`s always quite ugly, because we have no idea what we're doing, but making our next model we are calm and know how to make this or that element which tools to use and we can concentrate on more important and global things.

meanwhile, more details on my model, I want to make that PBR working with a lot of small details and different materials :)
    SdjMfL5.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ PyrZern - My thoughts I think that the Art Jam already tackled that and I don't think it works that well. I think having a clear concept makes people more likely to participate. Now you could if people want theme the concept voting. Like next month could be creatures. So you can only post creature concepts. However, as people have pointed out, that gets less variation. I think it's fine as long as there is a clear concept to go off of.
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What the actual fu...
    Trying to dynamesh so I can pull the collar around on the jacket and then like..
    Holes..holes everywhere..

HDCce4s.png

Borderline ready to just go back to practicing anatomy sculpts, all the issues I've gotten trying to use a basemesh and pursue this challenge is just killing me -.-
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ Mr.Moose - Your mesh is too thin. You need to thicken the mesh.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @stevston89 Yeah, you're right. Let's not do monthly theme.

@Mr.Moose Usually I work with solid subtools, not hollow, by using 'Close Holes'.

And another update from me. Made multiple changes and big proportion change :) Fixed up her neck and her hair. Gonna work a bit more on her forehead next. Also gotta work more on her hips and ab area.

The whole thing is at 9200 Tris atm. I might give her legs some more geo so they don't appear quite blocky.
    1486034_10152464674485115_4919550916020556287_o.jpg
    905342_10152464674600115_8717042236364959350_o.jpg
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing is happening when I select Close holes under the topology tab :\

ETA: @Lilith did you do those shoes completely in zbrush o_O?
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @th98: Thanks for the comment and link. I'll definitely take a fine tooth comb to the proportions.
    @pyrzern: Thanks man for the reference, will be referencing it later when I work on it. I planned on modeling her with clothes straight on the mesh instead of separate pieces, but I might change that now.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mr.Moose It only works when there's no subdiv level. And usually when that happens, just redo and give it more thickness. Easier than trying to fix it.
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah okay. Blah Zbrush is kicking my butt.

AWesome shoe tutorial for those who haven't gotten around to it yet!

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/86/68/71/8668719d5f6bb3b07b008b17e04a7521.jpg

ETA: Close holes is just straight up NOT Working. No error message or anything. Remeshed the character, Extracted again, Remeshed the extraciton, Closed holes.. Nothing
    Trying anything I can think of, but it just won't close holes.
  • dwgagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwgagner polycounter lvl 7
    Lilith wrote: »
    @dwgagner
    You`re right, and in general I would agree with you. But I think It all depends on your goal for this challenge. The goal of this challenge is to finish textured lowpoly model withing deadline and that is very important.
    Often when people are trying to do something better, but it is impossible because they still do not have the appropriate skills they just quit their models in despair. I know, I had a whole cemetery of such characters / stones / houses etc. :) And I`ve seen my students did it, everyone does it - stop working on model/concept is they don`t like it.
    If you have a lot of time, then it`s ok. You can probably do some research and tweak your model, but if you time is limited(which is usually the case) then I would recommend to set mini-deadlines for yourself. And if you reached deadline for highpoly, but you still don`t like it - go to the next stage anyway.
    As for studying anatomy, I found for myself it`s earier to practice it separetly os characters. Just sculpting from a sphere 1 hour a day with photoreference. It`s so much earier when you don`t have to think about million other things tike modelling props, or how to make lowpoly work. Just anatomy practice, it can be only a head, or arm, or posture study. Suddenly anatomy studies become fun and quite relaxing, and not stressful :) It helps a lot when you turn symmetry off, then you really start to scuplt, not just moving voxels around. Practice makes perfect and you won`t get a lot of anatomy practice by making 1 character a month.

In this challenge there is another point - the complete model to grow your skills. Just by finishing something, we can learn something new. For me, it is important to better understand the pbr materials, presentation , besides I will need to explore additional things that I as an environment artist I never use at work - such as creating realistic surfaces (fabric, leather) in ZBrush. Those are my purposes for this challenge and I know that a month will be enought is I won`t dwell on other stuff like super-realistic proportions.

While studying these things we`re still evolving, the first time it`s always quite ugly, because we have no idea what we're doing, but making our next model we are calm and know how to make this or that element which tools to use and we can concentrate on more important and global things.

meanwhile, more details on my model, I want to make that PBR working with a lot of small details and different materials :)
    SdjMfL5.jpg

You do make some points that learning the whole pipeline is valuable and it's good to know a pipeline start to finish. Also, yes it can get boring working on the same thing for extended periods of time.

Currently I bounce between character and environments at work, I guess I'm spoiled that way. But to give you an example, when I am creating a new body type, I.E. let's say a mesomorph. Mind you all that this would be is the base sculpture from which future characters of that body type would be created from. I would spend around 2 weeks, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week on just anatomy of 1 body type before adding anything else.

My point is this, if you can't stand spending copious amounts of time sculpting the same thing and you're goal is to do this for a living than you're not in the right field. Environment assets and props come together much quicker (not full environments mind you but the individual assets that make them up) than solid characters do.

In my experience, putting the time in to create a super banging character sculpt with correct anatomy and solid proportions is far more valuable than cranking out average work because it's "less boring". It's also way more rewarding when someone realizes that they have the potential to do something greater than they initially thought they could simply by thinking critically about it, asking for feedback early on in the process and then spending the hours applying said feedback.

Early on when I first started sculpting and my eye was not yet developed in terms of recognizing bad anatomy (not that I'm flawless cause I do make mistakes I just check and recheck and ask new eyes and check some more). I would take a screenshot of my model, along with the reference I was sculpting from, flip them both upside down in photoshop and look at them side by side. Try this to your sculptures, see if it helps you polish, worked for me. When you flip something upside down, your brain gets sort of a fresh point of view.

A lot of people do this sort of thing when painting as well, I.E. flipping the canvas from left to right.

Anyway, good luck to everyone, keep at it and be your own worst critiq, as long as you're growing and getting better it's all good, :P.
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    Progresssssssss

120j9s6.jpg

Tried to make the jacket in MD, didn't like the results I was getting after about 2 hours so went back to my extracted blockout jacket and so far spent about an hour sculpting folds, all the rest is block out. Only main feature missing is the gas mask and gloves (managed to get a nice scarf sim in about 20 mins so did some reshaping and cleanup and now ready for retop)

Pants are retopped exports from MD, small cleanup on the belt double pants seam, needs proper detail but that can wait I think until I do a first pass on the face. Lots more to do!
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Nicely done Klown. One of these days I will checkt out MD, just not in my budget.
  • Lilith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a liitle of my progress, I had a lot of work stuff to do :(
    HdmqgBi.jpg
    Sorry, guys, no feedback this time, I`m off to vacation for few days, I will really need to hurry up with highpoly after vacation to keep up with you :)
    I hope to see a lot of your progress when I come back, keep it up guys!
  • Lilith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DonEngland
    maybe, mesh is still quite messy )

@Mr.Moose
    Oh no, I`m very oldschool so I prefer to model in Max. I usually make highpoly "base" in ZBrush, proportions and stuff, maybe some design even, and then I make new model with clean topology and sculpt highpoly. It`s just a pipeline that I`m comfortable with. I do want to try out hardsurface is ZBrush... someday )))
    Here you can see my usual pipeline in detail if you`re interested
    Some images are probaly dead cause it`s been 4 years already )
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland polycounter lvl 9
    Some progress:
    oKRlGJl.png

I made a few changes to the head and tested a bake in substance designer. I need to fix the eye and maybe add some geo to help the shape of the ear and the top of the head.

@PyrZern: I like the proportion changes.

@klown: I like how the chaps are working, did you leave the chaps open in the back?

@Lilith: Yes I need to clean up the topology a bit. I'm not sure about the legs though, should I keep the vertices displaced a bit for the folds?
  • Lilith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland wrote: »
    @Lilith: I keep going between realistic proportions and concept proportions. I'll be making another pass at the proportions before I start baking. I like your models face. Is the hair/headband clipping the top of the ear?

By messy mesh I meant mine, not yours :)
    When it comes to clothing and organic stuff dynamesh does pretty good job, I would`n worry to much about topology. Also you can also try ZRemesher, it can be very helpful
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, having trouble sharing screen in the hangout. I can see others' screens just fine. But mine doesn't work. After clicking the button to share, and select which app/monitor to share, nothing is being shared. Tried with Chrome, and Firefox, doesn't work. That's after restart and reboot already. Weird. Just start having this problem today.
  • danpants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpants polycounter lvl 14
    So many amazing artists here I wish I had some extra time, looks like so much fun!
  • OctoKube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OctoKube polycounter lvl 2
    Here is an update, I am a bit behind schedule but I can now focus on adding folds and details :) Comments are welcome!!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I ran into this somewhere else. The bar just got raised even higher ? :P

9de66c38bb7459140a35bf65ee1fa1d7.png
  • Ape_Errata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    on the hangout for the next hour. Happy thursday guys.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that I think about it, I might turn that hanging ring at her belt into a keychain or something similar.

Here's what I have thus far.
    [SKETCHFAB]5802cf04e96e48788e50a96252c45fad[/SKETCHFAB]
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried substance painter on the head and cowl
    HaqXXfM.png
    I have a lot left to learn about texturing, but it seems like substance painter has a lot of potential.

@Lilith: When I experimented with zremesher I tended to get meshes that are not very good for deformations.

@OctoKude: Is your model going to go bare chested?

@PyrZern: That is a great render. If that is real time I might need to stick to programming.
  • Ape_Errata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll try and get on soon to do some crits. Still working on the blockouts for this sculpt. Still has a lot of work to go. Really enjoying seeing everyone else's progress. Keep it up! Cheers.

TechnoViking_01.png

TechnoViking_02.png
  • KatKatchem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KatKatchem polycounter lvl 2
    Hey guys, WIPs looking good so far! I'm going to join this challenge (a little late XD) Will post progress soon.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DonEngland Nice one there. How do you like Substance pack so far ?

@Peter Is it just my imagination ? He looks kind of short and maybe a bit chubby. From sideview, back of his head+neck appears quite thick. Really digging his face though.

Hangout doesn't let me screenshare anymore ;( Finalized the mysterious ring hanging from her belt :P Still no clue wth is that belt buckle though. Fixed her ears a bit. Will spend more geo on her dreads. Her arms+elbows also look a bit funny from backview. Gonna have to doublecheck on that.
    MMKsvZ9.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update. I'll post some critiques later tonight.bUAOby3.jpg
  • OctoKube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OctoKube polycounter lvl 2
    Not much of an update but im still going at it! Also considering doing something for the Petrol - Blood contest...
  • Kamezis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamezis polycounter lvl 4
    Lilith : Very cool so far.

I hope i will join this challenge next month !
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress:
    ZisMa0d.png
    I am trying out photoshop and quixel. I need to update the head and cowl, add some more variation, and maybe fix a few bake problems.

@PyrZern: Substance seems perfect for modular environment variation. Substance Painter is still a work in progress. Painting across multiple channels directly on the model is really nice. My substance trial is almost over and I'm switching to photoshop/quixel trials now.

I like the key ring idea.

@Dimfist: I like the detail in the sculpt so far, looking forward to seeing the bakes.

@Ozzmosis: Nice start on the block out.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Pyrzern - Way to go man, your dedication to this thread is inspiring! Looking good so far :)
  • Ape_Errata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on refining several parts of this sculpt. But he's beginning to be close to where I want him. I'm departing a bit from the original concept in that i'm giving him some extra gear.

TechnoViking_03.png

I also masked off his face a bit. Just playing around with what he might look like if I was to throw some warpaint on him at the end.

warpaint.png
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress
    eo7uTn7.jpg
    ~12,500 tris

I'm not sure how much more I'll be doing on this character. I have learned a lot so far and need to focus on hair and fur techniques now. For the next character I'll definitely add more detail and try to get some more polys in there.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice going guys ! I have little progress due to Petrol/BLood and neck pain <_<" I just started uving here. Will post progress real soon. Note: Hangout behaves well now, I believe.

@Dimfist Her cheeks seem puffy from 3/4 view there.

@Ozzmosis Great shape there !

@OctoKube Love the shoes and kneepads. Keep going man !

@Torch Thanks kindly :)

@Ape_Errata War paint is cool ! You can pull it off! Can't wait to see when you finish refining and material defining.

@DonEngland Hey, why does it look like the quality of diffuse map is much lower than others ? Like, the textures seem blurry and kinda random. His face also feels very centered. As in, eyes so close together, and hairline pretty high up. Great pose though !! Feels very alive.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some progress. Still have some ticky tack stuff to do like belt pouch, ring, necklaces and earrings but for the most part all that is left is texture for hi poly.
    Did a color test to see what it's looking like.cZ8Lm7h.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DonEngland- I have to agree with Pyr that the albedo/diffuse is a little muddy. It seems like you put some random noise on it but I think it would benefit with a little extra love on the edges and so forth. Pose is coming along nicely!
    @APE- Work on that material definition. The face is looking good.
    @Ozz- Nice start! Hope you finish. I think its too much in block in phase for me to tear it apart.
    @Pyr- Looking much better. I still think the pants are looking a little stiff and mechanical in nature. This could all change when you texture it though!
    @Lilith- She looks really good. I think you should rough and tough those boots up some. Maybe some duct tape or something. They look a little too 'hot topic' for me but nicely done none the less.
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys great looking updates from everyone. Sorry i've been away, long story short the last week or so I've been cooling off some family shit that has been going on. I'll post my viking girl is at and give out some critiques on most recent posting as well.