Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge | May 2014 | Frogman, Demon, Illusionist

Replies

• Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    RLSQazs.jpg
    Still quite a bit of fine tuning, need to make the dagger, have to add the rings for the cloth and need to work on the actual frog details as well, but the end of high poly is near!
  • drogyn
    HAND.pngGot some time into the hands.

-MrAwexome Are you doing his horns and such?
  • fabian3224
    Offline / Send Message
    fabian3224 polycounter lvl 11
    Your really blew past the assignment and very accurate to spite the time frame in which you delivered. Great Job!
  • rino
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    i'm really digging this one, well done
    jaysonmtl wrote: »
    A.png
  • thepapercut
    Finally the semester is over, now it is time to rock this out. Will post updates tomorrow. So many good things going on!

@pyrzern: Doing a quick check, no it seems the screen I pulled, the wireframe on that part just didn't show up. Also love the way your handling the coat, looks fantastic.
    @dimfist: Great continuation man. Really like the feet.
    @drogyn: Nice hand.
    @MrAwexome: Really well done paint job. The character too has a really great presence as well.
    @kapoff: Really digging the frog man, something with those red eyes pulls you in.
    @kmactastic: nice silhouette you got for her.
  • jinn15
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Oh damn. Nice Demon-ling there. I'm gonna give myself a few more sculpting days before moving to retop phase.
    Shoot. I ain't gonna have time to finish anime 3d challenge, am I ?

Will continue cleaning up confusing wrinkles. Worked on her sleeves amd arm bracelets as well as pendant. Top hat next.

S5WthBN.jpg

hey pyrzern, nice progress on this character!! really digging it
    and the thing that i see w/ the folds is that it just starts and stops at sorta random points
    i feel like the front of the jacket, where the buttons are, and the shirt work out pretty nicely but the back of the jacket and the mid to upper leggings still need some more lovin

https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5231900/il_570xN.169495709.jpg
    for the tail end part of the jacket

http://imgur.com/wdsVXDG
    and just folds in general, hope this helps
  • Kapoff
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    frog_sculpt_wip_02.jpg
    Derp-dee-derp, sculpt progress. WIP on the skin detail right now. It will actually take way more time than I imagined.

frog_sculpt_wip_02_flat.jpg
    A flat color for those who are interested.
    frog_sculpt_wip_02_clay.jpg
    And a "clay" render for the volumes. Reads way better like that.
  • Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    Port-Seven polycounter lvl 7
    So much ZBrush goodness in here!

Kapoff - your skin is already looking really good. :)

Almost ready to move on to unwrapping. I'm pretty happy with his shape, I made the neck/chest area thicker as previous crits suggested, but the hand topology is proving a little tricky...

Everything currently sits at 2,104. I'm not sure how much topology (edge loops around knuckles in particular) I need for the hands of a mobile character to still be able to have decent skinning. Any advice?

Also, would the 2,000 tris mobile guideline apply to the character and his props or just the character?

And, last question, how would I go about doing the necklace ? Model out the string similar to the belt, use an alpha, paint the string into the diffuse, or ignore this detail altogether for a mobile character?

MayCharacter_02_zpse1d734d0.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Add a cavity map Kap, it will help show the depth a bit more when blended in with the AO.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the help guys. I been making fixes and improvements.

@Ozzmosis I think his face is still off a bit. And also the shape of his mouth. Try snarling at yourself in a mirror, it should look kinda like that.

@Kapoff Very derpy-looking ! Well done. You blew my mind away!!

@Port-Seven The poly budget is mostly up to you. For the knuckle-joints topo, usually I do 2.5 edge loops.

Here's my progress. I cleaned up some random wrinkles and add some cloth compression and tension, I hope. Also added big sharp wrinkles around her waist. Have yet to fix her knees. Removed skin matcap, so I will paint more skin color.

10321729_10152412094230115_7112300269406759991_o.jpg
  • Kapoff
    Offline / Send Message
    Played in keyshot while roleplaying with some friends.
    frog_sculpt_render_KS_HD.jpg
    frog_sculpt_render_KS_MD.jpg

And a Zbrush thingy for the wip if the sculpt.
    frog_sculpt_wip_03_clay_flat.jpg
  • robirobes
    nice work here!!! kapoff this is awesome!

here is my process at the moment. i bought maya lt on steam now i have to learn :o)
    a question. i created a shaderfx material if i turn on "use selected light" my normal disappears..... whyy??!shaded_zpsf2bd29e2.jpg
    wire_zpsd8c82ca4.jpg
  • cgartland
    Offline / Send Message
    cgartland polycounter lvl 4
    y7LsZFQ.jpg

playing catch up, any pointers on how to do the arm and leg bands in zbrush?

@robirobes - when you want to use maya's real time shader switch to viewport 2.0. That should work with your normal map
  • Pieru
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    @Kapoff - waow ! what a nice masterpiece you have here dude

my little update:

1a7ff01089d4b547339bc06d9ccfe1a2.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    cgartland wrote: »

Mask and then Extract is what I usually do.
  • thepapercut
    So I spent most of my session today getting no where. This always happens when it comes to the top of the arm that flows into the breast, so I thought I'd ask so I can burn the answer into my brain: What is the flow that makes this section actually read correctly?
    WIP2_zpsfb09dc08.jpg
  • Pieru
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    thepapercut: You should do a complete loop around the shoulder before create the chest.

This is an exemple, could not be perfect, but it works fine.

Capture.JPG
  • Pieru
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    cgartland wrote: »

In my opinion, extracting for leg band could be a bit random experience. My advise for this kind of gear is:

(choose between different options)

1- Create a spline in Max for example, using rectangle render (known issues: could be hard sometime to rotate properly the rectangle spline)
    (maybe can we do something better using LOFT instead just render in rectangle option)

2- Create an IMM brush in Zbrush and playing with ( known issues: could be difficult to align properly the spline all around a thin part)

3- Create planes in Max, and extrude extrude extrude until you have what you want / create a shell / GOZ / use "Move topological" in order to place exactly where you want the band to be. (known issues: could be boring)

Personnaly, I'm using the 3rd solution. It's a bit boring, but efficient !

For the Arm plate: my advise is to create a cube or a sphere in Zbrush, deform it, playing with Dynamesh and Zremesher and then, extract parts by parts, you can also merge all parts and do a quick dynamesh / Zremesher.
  • Kapoff
    Offline / Send Message
    frog_sculpt_composite.jpg

And here I am already. Spamming the thread :D
    Composite of my sculpt. I'm calling this puppy done! Next step, retopo and all that jazz...

@Pieru
    Thanks! Dunno about the masterpiece but I loved sculpting this guy, the concept is way too awesome. And I love how you approached the knee piece, but it cries out for some sort of attachement to the leg right now imho. Don't let it hand right there like that.

@thepapercut
    things like shoulders are probably the most tricky parts in terms of topology. There's a lot of different ways to approach it but here's a good ref that I usually use.
    topology_overview_shoulder_thumb.png
    As Pieru already said it, run a loop at the start of the arm (the green loop on the right) and you should probably make another one that will be vertical if the arm is hanging down right at the end of the clavicle (green loop on the left). The red ones are horizontal loops that go from the chest to the back through the deltoid section.
    So basically if you put at least one loop at the start of the arm and one of the red loops you are already good.

@cgartland I personnaly started by duplicating the body subtool and masked a part of it. Then converted the mask into a polygroup and went to smooth the jagged borders with a GroupLoops in the Geometry pannel. Then after isolating the clean looking group that I just created I deleted the hidden part of the mesh and pannel looped it to extract some volume out. Started some basic blocking out of the shape, dynameshed it a few times in the process, then ZRemeshed it before starting the details in order to work with a pretty topology that subdivides nicely.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm quite ready to start my retop as well.
    BTW, does she appear crossed-eyes ? I can't tell anymore.

1888808_10152415304985115_4868113693668652773_o.jpg10348911_10152415311425115_795312712694511467_o.jpg
  • Saigo
    qdHsVXs.png
    Started working on this mobile frog today. Hopefully will get it finished in time.
    @Kapoff: Wow, that looks great
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston polycounter lvl 9
    MrAwexome -- I like the way you've taken the character, but you have zero to very little form definition in the arms and legs. Additionally, it looks like the spikes on his shoulder are just sitting on the skin instead of protruding out of it. If you add some build up of skin around the base of the spikes it will really make it look like they belong there :D
    Dimfist -- feet are looking a little small. Possibly the camera angle though
    PyrZern -- Nice progress so far dude! Your elbow and knee areas need more attention. The anatomy looks off in those areas (knees more so than the elbows). Your cloth folds still seem really random. She doesn't appear to be cross eyed to me!
    drogyn -- hands are looking sexy!
    Ozzmois -- Nice start! It looks like you have a weird bend at the elbow joint that doesn't really look natural. The best I can describe it right now is that it looks like your elbow is acting more like a ball joint instead of a hinge
    Kapoff and Pieru -- Awesome work guy! Really digging all the skin textures you've both made.
    robirobes -- To put it simply (the best that I can ;), the normal is disappearing because it is lighting information from the high poly and it needs a light to reflect that information
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    @Kapoff Excellent job! That skin texture is awesome fantastic!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @Saigo Good start there. Keep going !
    @Rafferty_Eggleston Hey thanks man. Today I worked more on her knees and elbows. Doubt I could get it correct :P Anyway, also make some adjustments to her face and around eyelids as well.
  • Pieru
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    @Rafferty_Eggleston: Thank you guy !
    @Kapoff:: Great colors, although I think the frog is a bit too much green everywhere, may you try to make more fades to another color? btw, thank you for your feedback, indeed I have forgotten to make an attachment for the Knee's plate :p

new update for my froggyfrenchfrog :) (I have tried another material :O)

Froggy_09.jpg
  • Kapoff
    Offline / Send Message
    @aaronmwolford Thanks man :D
    @Pieru
    Great work man, looks great! And yeah, my froggy is kinda overkilled on the green side, I will dull it towards a more swampy green when I bake my vcol's and start editing the textures in Photoshop. Because right now it's some simple polypaint and it's quite tricky to shift a hue or the saturation right in Zbrush.
  • jacob thomas
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob thomas polycounter lvl 9
    @Pieru that sculpt looks fantastic man. Great work. Did you intend to have the first 2 fingers joined like that for the low poly?

Great work all round. You guys are really smashing these out.
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston polycounter lvl 9
    jstyles3d that is what I had thought too, but I think it is just how they're interpreting it from the concept. I think it is just an illustrative technique in the concept to make the hands more natural, but I think those who've joined them in their models are making it look pretty sweet :D
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ PyrZern - that is a very inefficient way of unwrapping a body. Split the arms off from the sleeve down, slpit the torso at the top of the pants, split the sleeve off of the body, and split the shirt in half at the top of the shoulder. Also want not just move the seam on the pants to where you have a seam sculpted in. I think the biggest reason you are getting seams is because of the angles of your UVs. Spliting things up more and allow them to be more straight. You will get better results and be able to use more of the UV space.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man. I've always want to level up my Tetris skills !

Oh, and I did figure out the problem with seams. Bad Maya Exporter screwed it up :P I will add some more geo, then cut it up like you said :)
    10255936_10152417673065115_5252416574460172074_o.jpg
  • Pieru
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    @jstyles3d: Thanks, yeap, the fingers will be melted, like on the concept :)
    @Kapoff: Thanks :) and copy that !
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    8,200 Tris right now. And a preview of her head with normal in Topogun. Retop her coat and its collar is very annoying <_<" Collar is because it is double-sided... Her coat is because the front part kinds of overlap itself, so I have to move em a bit further. Hopefully the baking will be fine.

Next up is hands.... I hate retop hands.

10296174_10152419487705115_1113340167389750525_o.jpg
  • thepapercut
    @kapoff & Pieru: Thanks for the images and advice gents!
    @pyrzern: Love how it's coming along. Two questions though: Why did you build her ears if her hair covers them? second, What references beside the concept did you use for her head?

Will post more critiques later, along with my current WIP.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Just in case I do multiple hairstyles. ;P Also I can reuse the head later easier if there are ears too. I also make the back of her shirt as well, even though her coat will cover it... In case she takes off her coat :P

Is there downside to having her coat on top of her shirt like that ? Apart from when posing/animating if they clip thru...

Hmm, I don't really base her likeliness on any actual person, per se. Just face planes and muscle anatomy of face mostly.

Usually I just browse thru my pins for awhile then look at my sculpt and see how I can make her beautiful like those girls.
    http://www.pinterest.com/PyrZern/reference-faces-n-hair/
  • thepapercut
    @pyrzern: I see, that makes sense. Thank you for the pininterest link as well. Definitely a keeper.
    @Pieru: really like the details you got going on your frog, and especially the lamp and such on his back.
    @saigo: nice start. I feel though the eyes are to much on the side of his head.
    @kapoff: Really digging that skin texture/coloring on your frog.

Working on the gloves/hands and head right now. This is where it's currently at.
    WIP3_zps32e28adc.jpg
  • Pieru
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    @Thepapercut: thanks ;)

last update for the sculpt:

FROGGy_Turn_HP_Render.jpg

next: color, retopology, etc... :'(
  • kmactastic
    Offline / Send Message
    kmactastic polycounter lvl 8
    @thepapercut Awesome start. Why not throw an image plane in there to help you along?
    @Pieru I love the pedestal. Are you going to make the grass cards or geo?
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pieru Sweet sculpt there man. Nice ped. How do you do a non-destructive posing ? I mean I doubt you would want to retop without symmetry.
  • Pieru
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    @kmactastic:Thanks, I will do an alpha for the grass
    @PyrZern:arigato :), TPOSEMESH plugin allows you to create a layer for each subtool of your tool, it's safe :) however, as I am parano
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm... Haven't really used Transpose to its fullest capacity it seems. Gotta try that soon.

I'm almost done with retop now. Almost :) Funny how minimalistic wrinkles look so clean and neat... Smaller ones gonna pop up after baking, and I hope they look good too.
    2WoJUqO.jpg
  • cgartland
    Offline / Send Message
    cgartland polycounter lvl 4
    KrF4lVc.jpg

My progress for today

at the rate I'm going I probably wont be able to finish a texture but I might try to get the low res done
  • thepapercut
    @cgartland: really like the eyes. I do think though the amount of wrinkles under the chin are a bit much for my taste.
    @pieru: Really dig that paint job, strong transitional values in areas like the hands and feet give it a lot of character.
    @pyrzern: Looking good. Nothing more to say.
    @kmactastic: Thank you! Also I do have the concept art in the background, it's visibility is just at 0 right now.
  • Kapoff
    Offline / Send Message
    JELLY-RAWCHIKEN-SEMITRANSLUCID FROG! :D (eyes are place holders)

marmo_skin_test.jpg
    So I retopo'ed the body and baked this puppy with a temporary UV set. And everithing is all nice and pretty... except in the parts where it isn't:
    seams.jpg
    UGLY UV SEAMS in the normal! Oh dear how I missed you my old friends. Could have stayed away one more time, I wouldn't be mad at you. Anyway...
    Tried almost everithing so far I think: smoothing the normals in blender ans in max, evel manually edited them in max in order to be sure they are unified. Checked if the object was'nt broke into several geo elements, and dropped the usual reset xform just in case. I even tried to bake the thing with a cage generated in xNormal.
    Checked the different tangent methods in marmoset to see if that helps and even started shifting the mirrored parts of the UV's to the tile outside the 0,1 so xN doesn't take them into the baking process but didn't baked it yet because the torso/core section isn't mirrored and the seams are still visible.

I'm pretty sure it's a tangent and bitangent thingy but I'm not versed enough into that science to debug it right now. Especially taking into account that I'm tired and I really hope that I'm just being an idiot and not thinking of the most obvious problem. So I hope one of you guys may have an answer maybe, in the mean time, I'm off to bed.

EDIT: Never mind, just rebaked it for the "fun" with the shifted UV's and it's solved... kinda mindfucks me but hey... who cares!? It works! If someone still has an explanation to the black magic voodoo witchcraft that this situation was, please don't hesitate to throw rock and science at me, I would only be happy.
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    k07l4CS.jpgEsAfZPo.jpg
    Got a bit of time to do some more work. Now I basically just have to add some textures to the frogy and go back in and tighten up the skirt a bit. Then it will be alpha texturing and adding alpha planes for the grass on the spear.
    That's about it before I start on lowpoly.
    You guys are looking good! I'll post some crits later tonight.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished retop, I think!
    I also did most of the UV. Got some see-through problem with her hair. Grrrr. Gonna adjust the alpha some more and maybe widen each hair plane as well.

1979244_10152425111220115_4287225750407856274_o.jpg
  • kalwdio
    Offline / Send Message
    kalwdio polycounter lvl 9
    here i am :D ineed to improve my textures... :( and i dont know how to make his eyes to glow... i have a alpha but nothing happens...
    M3Klj9U.png
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    4xhAaj7.jpg
    Okay, detailing done. Now to start doing low poly. HOpefully i can get it done in time.
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru: Top notch.
    Kapoff: Looks pretty damn good so far. HOpe you can get those seams sorted out.
    Kawldio: Try using an emissive map or glow map instead of an alpha. There is a slot for it on Marmoset.
    Pyr: Topo looking nice man.
    CGArtland: Good start bud, hope to see you finish this.
    Thepapercut: Keep pushing man. Don't forget to set some smoothing groups so you can see how the geo is looking. Hard to see exactly what is going on with your proportions from that angle. Looks like she might have some stubby wide legs.
  • thepapercut
    @dimfist: Thanks man. I hate to ask, but is there a difference from using smoothing groups to the mesh smooth modifier? What I usually do is throw a meshsmooth on top of my stack and turn it on and off while blocking out my work to see how it looks.

Will post more crits and WIPs later.