Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge April 2014 (18)

Replies

• ng.aniki
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    Zocky wrote: »
    Also, any idea how to prevent particles from going through to roof? I did see there was collision option in cascade, where it should kill particle on collision, but seems like that didn't work for some reason...

In UE4, there are 2 kinds of particles.
    The normal ones, and the GPU particles(Then 'GPU Sprite' is written in the black line right below the particle preview in the emitter column, like 2 of the emitters here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/images/Engine/Rendering/ParticleSystems/Cascade/EmitterList.jpg ).

If it is a normal one, like in Udk, you need to add a collision module and set Collision Completion Option to kill. Then its particles will be killed when it collide with any physics surface. For for this to work you need to have collisions on your roofs, otherwise it will go right through it.

If it is a GPU sprite emitter, you need a 'collision(scene depth)' module, it will automatically collide with any surface printing data in the depth buffer. So any material that is not translucent/additive or modulate.
    The second one is way lighter, but in some occasions particles might get through surfaces (if you do not see the top or the bottom surface of what is supposed to be used as collision, it will go through, like in here: ehxPaHs.jpg)

To transform your normal particle emitter into a gpu particle emitter, right click in the column of the particle emitter, TypeData > GPU sprite (Or something like that). You then need to set a bounding box, otherwise the particles will be visible only if the emitter is visible, you can set that in the properties of the particle emitter itself (Left click in the black part of the column, then look in the properties window)

Edit: The problem that the kill on collision will bring, is that your whole long line of rain drop will disappear at once. Even the top part will disappear when the bottom part will will touch the roof. I do not know how it is usually done. In my udk scene I kinda solved it by creating 3 emitters, basically spawning at the same place with a small delay, each one of them one part of the long rain drop line. so it is a bit better.
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Tnx ng.aniki, i'll look into it!

g1pTWPx.jpg
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Good info @ng.aniki
  • Deathrey
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathrey polycounter lvl 4
    Hope i'm not late :poly122:

Sculpt

cmx7I0G.jpg

UE render

y6Gb6vi.jpg
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    @Deathrey - Nice work so far. A few crits though.

The little statues are a under detailed for how the concept looks. For example you should be getting the face in there.

The symbol you have there is looking a little thin + a little too hand drawn. For something like that I would be doing a vector graphic for a emissive mask to achieve that clean and crisp detail.

As a final crit the moss looks to be a little too localized and not random enough. For example only the one statue has moss in it's crevices. I would think the other one would have some as well. Another thing that might do you well is baking out a heightmap. This way you can lerp (linear interpolat) between the bricks and moss. This will bring the moss through the crevices and cracks on your well and would help with the realism. The grass should be only growing out of cracks as well. If you look at references grass grows out of cracks rather than right on top of an object.

Good luck man, and keep it up.
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Just a tiny progress:
    e0vWECR.jpg
  • Deathrey
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. wrote: »
    @Deathrey - Nice work so far. A few crits though.

The little statues are a under detailed for how the concept looks. For example you should be getting the face in there.

The symbol you have there is looking a little thin + a little too hand drawn. For something like that I would be doing a vector graphic for a emissive mask to achieve that clean and crisp detail.

As a final crit the moss looks to be a little too localized and not random enough. For example only the one statue has moss in it's crevices. I would think the other one would have some as well. Another thing that might do you well is baking out a heightmap. This way you can lerp (linear interpolat) between the bricks and moss. This will bring the moss through the crevices and cracks on your well and would help with the realism. The grass should be only growing out of cracks as well. If you look at references grass grows out of cracks rather than right on top of an object.

Good luck man, and keep it up.
    Thanks for the feedback. I think i have to fully agree on everything mentioned. Gonna remake the statues and that rune. Additionally I will probably change the low poly to capture more detail in between bricks and mirror half of UVs.

Presently i'm lerping using cavity mask but it doesn't seem to be good. I will try to use heightmap.
  • breakneck
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    Hey all, a bit late to the party, but I've been testing out the new Marmoset 2, and damn is it juicy!
    sure_why_not.jpg
  • Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    Deathrey - awesome job, love that foliage and glowing effect :D

Zocky - Looking good man, looks like you have a light map issue under the those (side roofs, for a lack of a better name) other thank that, pretty sweet. nice weather and atmosphere too.

Breakkneck - Texture are looking awesome, looking forward to the rest of your scene.

Here's what I've been working on behind the scenes. I haven't posted anything here yet because I have a habit of not finishing things d: Now that im getting closer I feel like its safe to show.

Z4i2Vor.jpg

Critiques are welcome. Atmosphere and lighting are all temp, and a lot of textures need more work done to them.

Thanks for
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Some more progress. Just need to make that bush-like thing at the top where roof is, and i'll be mostly done with models and stuff, then hopefully it will be mostly tweaking stuff around.
    nPxgdl4.jpg

@breakneck
    Great start man!

@Cheathem
    Really nice work so far there as well! Not too much too comment just yet, maybe only texture looks a bit simple atm, maybe a little color variation here and there on those red walls, similar with other texture. Maybe you plan to add those already, but just saying.

Other then that, looks sweet man!
  • Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    Ya know, I didn't really notice my lack of color variation Zocky. I'll definitely play around with adding some more color into the scene. Thanks for the suggestion!

And I see that little plant you added in your scene over their.
  • JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley polycounter lvl 8
    The building facade that I am currently working on:

ek7dWqk.png

A tree that I sculpted and baked. I also went out and took a picture of a tree with my new camera (Sony a65) and turned it into a tiling texture and then created a normal map from it with the nvidia filter. In UDK I tiled the texture 8x over the tree and averaged the Red and Green channels of the baked normal map + the bark normals, and used Blue just from the bake.

eRw4WsP.png

I got a late start this month but hope to finish up the facade and get a couple of other major pieces done.
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Nice start there Jon!

Hm yeah, i should go out and take some photos for textures as well one of these days...

Some more progress from me:
    LZm5RzS.jpg

3 more days to go....guess i still have time for some details here and there....

Also, been having weird problem in unreal editor 4...
    in viewport, all looks well, when i hit "simulate" it still looks great, but when i press "play" button, then entire scene turns completly white....any ideas why actual game would react differently from the editor itself?
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Hm, i though i went a little to bright with the overall feeling there, so tried to make very quick "fix" and made it darker. Still need to tweak it...
    mN2VG7n.jpg
  • steve0
    Offline / Send Message
    steve0 polycounter lvl 5
    Nice Zocky, great progression! :D

A few things I'd like to add, the painting on the right upper wall looks to neat and since there is no real shadow, feels floaty and takes my eye away from the main composition. I would add a dirt or water grunge type decal underneath it like you did on the wall.

I would try and push the ground puddle reflections more. The concept has really nice crisp reflections and I think it is an important detail to have. Also, I would get rid of the yellow and orange leaves, they don't make sense in the scene (no tree with those type of leaves) and focus on the red more cherry blossom leaves. If you put some green moss decals on the corners of the ground, the green will really pop out the red leaves and thus grab the eye (compared to using orange and yellow leaves). Consider adding a detail map, they feel very flat too.

I would also try and push the contrast on all the awesome sign details/ wall carvings on the back wall. I'd add a subtle earthtone saturation back into the carving tiles. Also try to light link, or push your directional, so there are nice strong shadows and it will make all your details you put into the model/texture pop out! I feel like your loosing a lot of detail in the scene.

Lastly, I would adjust this beauty shot to more around the lines of the concept. Move the camera slighty more to the right, so you can get more dept/perspective to the right wall. The distance to concrete wall and roof, feel almost identical. Maybe decrease the focal length so the scene can feel more full and taller. The back wall in the concept feels massive and really draws the eye. I also love the subtle bloom in it.

I hope this wasn't overwhelming, I just wanted to help take this piece to the next level since you've done an awesome job so far! Keep on trucking :D!
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Hey, tnx a lot man, lots if cool suggestions there!

One thing you did mention, reflections...i really am trying to push them forward, but with ueg4, i'm really not sure how to bring them out more.Seems like ueg4 does it automatically, so i have no idea how to make them much stronger. I'll try to look farther into it, there has to be some sort of control over it...
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Hm, still have to fix a lot of issues you guys have suggested, i think i'll have more time in next 2 days for that, but for now, tried to change couple of things, like light position and stuff, leaves, moss on the border on ground and some other minor stuff....

VOe4OKo.jpg
  • CJFerguson
    Offline / Send Message
    CJFerguson polycounter lvl 7
    Well I'm still just kind of working on learning texturing and I've been learning a lot though it might not look like I've done much since I last posted. But yea, here's my tree. I need to fix some seams and then I'm gonna move on to the base stones and things.
    oEwOaYY.jpg
    W1gk8RM.jpg
  • The_Korrupt_One
    Offline / Send Message
    The_Korrupt_One polycounter lvl 6
    Very nice Zocky. I didn't get much done on this one spent to much time either playing with blueprint in UE4 or procrastinating. I think next month I might just give the prop concept ago rather than the main one.
    Here's my progress though.
    pRlwfCk.jpg
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    I've been moving so I just get some stuff when I can. Doesn't help that I've come down with the flu as well. Anyways pretty big update today. Added some much needed detail, changed the composition, worked on the lighting and material definition.

Lighting, adding the tree, tags on the tree, banners on the door, and finishing the roofing are all things I want to wrap up today and tomorrow.

5xj5NUI.png
  • Deathrey
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zocky
    Really nice:poly142:

I think i am done with that prop. Learned some interesting stuff and a took a step into UE4.

I've altered the diffuse texture a little, made emissive map thicker, changed UV layout to use mirrored UVs. I've tweaked lerp mask for the moss in the cracks as Jack suggested. I think i failed miserably at sculpting face of the statue though.:poly122:

8M5413q.jpg

7t10bHE.jpg

URhcTsu.jpg
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Oh, verynice stuff Deathrey!

Perhabs the glow is just a tad too strng, but otherwise, great work! Love the vegetation (for lack of better word) you have in there too!

I think i'm done with this scene to. Obviously it would need to take some more work, but eh, gotta stop at some point anyway. Gotta say this was fun experience!

Also, just wondering, if i was to use this in my portfolio, is it enough to mention that it was made by reference from person X, and put maybe link to his work, or do i need to ask for permission?

gSz4Qvz.jpg

Link to high res:
    http://i.imgur.com/peMF36C.jpg

Cheers!
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    looks pretty good man, i'd just like to note, that your tiles, look very flat. and your "frosting" on the windows look weird since the center of the glass is black... also, your leaves stand out a lot, like they are unlit. just my 2 cents.
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Yeah, i guess you are right!

One thing that i didn't predict, is that some areas would have VERY dark reflections, so it made the dirt much brigther....

tnx for the comment!
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    not a problem.

wish i had the ability to update the prop. tech issues have kinda... messed me up the past week or so :/ hopefully i'll get an update up, but i wont be able to finish by tomorrow. was fun to sculpt though. good practice ^_^
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, i made a little update to change atleast some of thing. But i think i'll really be done with it. Check my last post before this one.
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    that looks a lot better.
  • Zocky
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Oh well tried to make some final changes. Dunno if it's better or worse, but screw it. :P

4BT5jfx.jpg
    UTlw4go.jpg
    5k7ZmVK.jpg

Large image:
    http://i.imgur.com/IX0d0q4.jpg

The more i try to fix, the more mistake i find ( and technical problems), so it will have to do....
  • lloydj14
    Offline / Send Message
    lloydj14 polycounter lvl 6
    @Zocky your scene looks awesome, only thing that sticks out for me is the platform around the tree doesn't feel grounded due to the rain/effects on the surrounding area but still good job.

Here is where i got up to on my prop. I've decided to stop here several little things i could of done to finish it off just didn't get round to (murky texture on the statue) but overall a great learning experience for my first full completed detailed prop :) and I'm happy with what I achieved. Any last tips/crits would be appreciated :)

JampBRF.jpg

Look forward to next months challenge and learning more.
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    major problem with yours lloyd, that i'm seeing, is your water looks more like fog.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    lloyd - Congratulations on finishing your first prop!

I echo luge, the water does look like fog. You already addressed the statue texture. I think you could add a bit more geometry in some areas.

Other than that, solid work dude. All the best with your next project :)
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Well, I'm not quite done yet. Finished a lot of stuff today, but I need to finish the roofing, add some red ribbons to the door and stuff. Hard to work while this sick, but I'm closing in on the finish line :)

Rj1N81G.png
  • AzzaMat
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    Definitely not my best, I finished this a while ago but wasn't particularly happy with it. Any crit I could get on foliage would be great!

Well2.png
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Alright, I think I'm calling it. Finished everything up, and learned a lot. Any crits of course would be helpful, because I'm going to spend a little more time polishing for the portfolio.

jIyWFQt.png
  • Marshkin
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    Cheating a little since it's may but I wanted to share how far I was able to get.
    tumblr_n50ecbtFMI1sk42n3o1_1280.jpg
    There's a rain effect but for some reason in play in stand alone game, it doesn't show up! (but it works when I preview it in the editor.)

It was a fun experience and I still have a lot to learn. Thanks guys!
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Hey, not bad man! With some more time, i'm sure it would look even better!

Oh, didn't see Jack's entry, good work too! Maybe the atmosphere feels a bit too sunny compared to reference only. And the wall on the right feels a bit plastic, maybe a little less specularity and a little stronger normal map would do the trick.

Well, anyhow, yeh, it's been fun guys!
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Thanks for the crit zockey. I made some major adjustments to the atmosphere and fixed the wall. Hopefully it looks better.

DC2FAVb.png
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    yeah i think that looks better, jack!
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Alright, thanks man.
  • CJFerguson
    Offline / Send Message
    Learning a lot from this! I'll probably just try and make the lighting better and finish the texture on the floor and move on to something else though

tumblr_n58qk5K5js1qbdjxvo1_1280.jpg
  • CJFerguson
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't figure out some of the stuff I wanted to but I'm kind of sick of this, so I'm gonna make that Halo asset for next month.
    tumblr_n5h77wOSUJ1qbdjxvo1_1280.jpg