catwoman_by_kdoyle9-d7vp4uo.jpg
catwoman___headshots_by_kdoyle9-d7vpa9t.jpg
catwoman___torso_shots_by_kdoyle9-d7vpdy3.jpg
catwoman___leg_shots_by_kdoyle9-d7vpf1s.jpg
catwoman___full_model_shots_by_kdoyle9-d7vpi3u.jpg
catwoman___wireframe_by_kdoyle9-d7vpdda.jpg
catwoman___texture_maps_by_kdoyle9-d7vpg8x.jpg
catwoman___zbrush_sculpt_by_kdoyle9-d7vpfje.jpg

Hello everybody working i'm making a character model of catwoman, taking stanley artgerm lau's justice magazine take on catwoman and combining that with the purple catwoman from the 90's. So heres my reference sheet for the costume.

Replies

• butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Hey man

Everything looks good to me right now.
    Even though shes not screaming seyfreid, i can definitely see her in forms.
    I think the neck is a wee bit too long however. Would two heads hit the sternum?
  • Edrice
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good,seyfreid is an interesting choice. I'd say the head looks a bit small and IMO I would give her a wider waist, she's a bit too V shaped like a man.
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I'm not expert at anatomy, and I'm learning it myself too all the time. But, her forearms are way too long compared to upper arms, and give a bit more thickness to the upper arms from the front view.

Remember to put the back view next time as well.
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    butt_sahib - Thanks man, ya the neck is feeling too long to me as well once im done fixing the head up im going to re measure th body and line it up, as for the likeness its really hard trying to get the likeness right im having trouble with that so i still gotta work that.

Edrice - thx for the crit, ya the waist i had some trouble with and definately gotta fix the head size and re align everything

FourtyNights - ya the arms turned out weird for me so i definately gotta fix that, thanks.

So im going to focus on her face cause i really wanna get the likeness down. i'm having trouble with likeness sculpts if anyone has tips on that or anatomy pls help i could really use it. The textures i added were quick to see what the face would look with color.

so heres a update

2cfskdx.jpg

Perspective on
    2uz2uk6.jpg

Perspective off
    33ncjdc.jpg
  • nyx702
    Really cool so far man. Looking forward to seeing more.
  • praetor187
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Looking really good so far, was able to tell it was Amanda Seyfried right away. I think her glabella right now is just a little too sharp and could use some softening and maybe just bring her brown down just ever so slightly. But other than that I think it looks pretty spot on. looking forward to see more good luck! :)
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    nyx702- Thanks alot man! means alot

Praetor187- Thanks alot man, ya the glabella area and brow ive been struggling with gonna try and soften it, im still wondering if i should sculpt the eyebrows.

So I took a break from the face to work on all the other stuff, I feel like a break from the face will help. So ive tweaked the body too fix some anatomy problems and started adding more of her accesories so heres what i got so far.

32zmlc1.jpg
    xp7r12.jpg
    2uffsls.jpg

Im going to be giving another update tonight im going to finish the boots and gloves and backpack. So what do u guys think?
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Update will be up soon but I was wondering anyone knows good tutorials for hair because she gonna have hair coming out the back of her mask.
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    So working on more of the costume design now, im combining stanley artgerms take on catwoman and the Injustice take on catwoman, and finding ways to combine them, hopefully by tonight ill have the suit sculpted and post a full turntable of that but for now heres a shot of what i got so far with a littlwe paintover on top.

e97woh.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Very well done so far, love the face!

Head and arms seem a tad small from the looks of it and neck possibly too long. Also, in your current pose (shoulders back, chest up) I think the chest and naval is a bit low as well.

The main reason I think the scale is off in these places is if compare the scale of the head to the hips, and the the arms to the legs. Its very minor, but I think you should play around with it a bit more.

Here is ref for you: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1509135&d=1340972735
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Bradmyers82- Thx man, ya the anatomy has been throwing me off as well i gotta go back and look through the measurements again, thanks for the link :D
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Ok so I have been fixing the anatomy up on her and its obviously something im still getting good at. So here is another update fixing up the lengths of the models arms and legs, Any crits would be very appreciated :D

295a3gl.jpg
  • maverickhornet
    Offline / Send Message
    maverickhornet polycounter lvl 9
    This is really looking nice :)

From an outsiders perspective her proportions and silhouette don't seem to be sleek and cat-like enough? Just my opinion but I feel maybe her silhouette could be pushed a little more..? Maybe wider hips and narrower waist.

Picking really... but wanted to say good job :)
  • Edrice
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    I would really make the waist thinner, especially if you base it off artgerm.

I did a quick paintover of the changes I would make.

U300OrF.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    mhm i would just make the torso a bit thinner and leave the legs like they are right now.
    also her eyes are too big.
    her arms are a too long aswell.

looks very promising though, good luck!

i would make her boobs a bit smaller too, but i gues thats just personal taste.
  • khozzy
    Offline / Send Message
    khozzy null
    loving this didnt like the dark knights cat woman although thats just my opinion but this is really cool. although the hand and fingers kinda didnt fit the whole costume idea maybe cooler looking gloves or something to make them stand out as cat womans hands are very expressive
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    too form-fitting, looks like body paint.
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man

I agree about the waist being thinner. I think if you made it thinner with wider hips she will look alot more feminine; as expected from catwoman i guess.

Btw, i tried studying your face and what if any changes if made would make her look more like amanda, and i think its not the features themselves but their proportions that could make a big difference. E.g. the distance between her lips and chin should be less etc

p.s
    Fuiosg, hes reworking his anatomy bits, he posted catwomn in her suit a few posts up.

You should check out a catwoman model by fellow polycounter Jaco
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xeOzo0Axgj0/TLu4TiSpbfI/AAAAAAAABAU/K59ycIM2HSE/s1600/img-jh_catwoman_02.jpg
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lamt6fWVET1qbuewbo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAI6WLSGT7Y3ET7ADQ&Expires=1399025663&Signature=Q%2F5AQO5l4aI1MAMN62kkPepegWA%3D#_=_
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Thanks for the response guys! :D

Maverickhornet - Thx man, Ya the waist ive been having trouble with, but i worked on it for this update.

Edrice - Thx for the paintover ya i fixed the waist for this update, I'm basing it off of artgerms designs but im really going for realistic proportions.

Goeddy - Hey man thx, Ya i fixed the arms and waist for this update so give it a peak below, as for the eyes im going to go back and fix the face up when im done the body. The boobs i made a bit smaller as well.

Khozzy - hey man ThX! ya im still designing the gloves and claws i definately want to make em stand out.

Fuiosg - Its her body underneath the clothes im still working the proportions.

Butt sahib - hey man , ya i fixed the waist and hips below give it a look and see if it helped, ya the lips is a little too high, I kind of notice that amandas face is like that but i think i over did it, but im going to finish the body first then go back to the face. ya jaco's catwoman is inspiring i hope mine turns out remotely close to as awesom as his

ALRIGHT UPDATE TIME

So ive fixed the wiast a bit im hoping it helped, but the big thing for this update is the blet and the arm sleeves, i did the folds for the arms which are supposed to be leather gloves and I was using this as reference:

sgojdj.jpg

So the arms i worked on and the belt, im going to be posting another update tonight finishing the gloves and the belts, so here is the update.

91hw10.jpg
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Working on the accessories and the body suit, the seams on the body suit are going to get worked more. in terms of what left i have to do sculpt wise

Boots seams and folds
    gloves claws
    backpack
    bodysuit seams and folds
    Hair
    Fix up face

Then after that i'll move onto retopo, I'm hoping to have the boots and glove/claws done tonight hiopefully some more as well. Pls crit its greatly appreciated :D

2qlns.jpg
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    This is looking really nice. Though the hands really need some love. All of the fingers are way too skinny and don't have a natural form. Also the arms still looks too thin.
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    looking good! solid advice all around, can't wait to see more
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Candystripes05 - thx man :D

Stevston89 - thx dude, ya the hands im really struggling with getting them to look right and i agree about the arms.

Does anyone know any good tips for hands? or reference?
  • nyx702
    Yea I agree about the hands. Also, is the sharp crease where the shoulder meets the chest area apart of the suit design? The transition there seems a little harsh to me.

Looking good tho! The folds on the gloves are pretty awesome.
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Just get some good ref.

This is one of my favorites ( linking because the image is way too big)

http://www.zanedevon.com/images/blog/MaleHandReference.jpg

You want to get a natural relaxed pose something like this:

hands-relax-set-1.jpeg

Here is a female hand ref as well:

female_hand_reference_by_mr_hobes-d4itzb9.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I have been looking at this a lot, and I think the proportions really need a lot of work from the side. Overall I think the boobs should still come up, and some slight changes could be made to the torso area, especially showing the lats on the side/behind the breasts. As others have mentioned the hands need work too, but I wouldn't worry much about that till you get this stuff ironed out. That reference Butt linked you to of Jacos Cat Women is priceless dude. I think he really nailed a lot of stuff with the proportions. So def. use that as ref.

Here is a quick paintover I did. Jaco's model closely matches the concepts you have here, but I wasn't sure if you are going for more realistic proportions. I think I did somewhere inbetween the two. Here it is, I hope this helps! :)

catwoman_paintover_01.gif

edit... note, see how if you make the joints proportions smaller it makes her look a lot more muscular/fit. Really keep that in mind as you work on this. I think from the front what you have in most areas is excellent, but just needs some small tweaks. From the side, I think the changes need to be pretty extreme. Also, one last thing. I expected her arms to be more bent from the side view, because basically if they are bent then straightened out they will be longer. When I looked at the side view however they appeared almost straight. Thats one of the main reasons I bent them like that from the side. also I think it looks a bit more natural.
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    nyx702 - Thanks man :D, ya the hands definately needed love i worked on them alot in this update. Also the crease in the shoulder was meant to be the crease where the pec meets the shoulder but ya i made that way to sharp so i smoothed a bit but definately have to fix that area.

stevston89 - Thanks for the reference :)

BradMyers82 - Thanks for the crit man :) , I havent worked the proportions and body too much in this update, I tried focusing the hands and some of the accesories but my next step is to clean up the proportions.

Okay I know its been awhile unfortunately A bunch of stuff has happened last week so i couldnt get as much done, But im aiming to finish this by the end of the week. So the big things ive done for this update are the boots and hands and rearranging the accesories a bit so look below and let me know wat u think :D

And also the thing on her shoulder will be her hair Im just debating how i should do the hair, Entirely with hair cards or sculpt it?

34509qb.jpg

So i've been working very hard on the hands and gloves because ive needed alot of work on that, so here is a close up of the gloves. I still have to add the folds and seams on the gloves alot of the fabric detail will be added in NDO.

x0qz47.jpg
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Really digging it!

The hands look better, but they are still way to small. Also the arms still feel too thin. Here is a quick paintover with some adjustments to the hands and arms:

NAorzLl.jpg
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    hey stevston89, Thanks for the paintover it really helped.

So I'm finnally done the sculpt, Im going to retopo the sculpt and then before making the textures I'm going to go back to the sculpt and make sure everything is finished and then img oing to go in and finish this, I've learned alot sculpting this this will be the first character I finish so i'm taking my time and trying to learn as much as I can, thx for all the crits.

Also the hair sculpt is rough, im still trying to figure out how to do the hair.

So here is my Final sculpt what do u guys think?

Perspective ON

s2fwxd.jpg

23wuss3.jpg
  • Quasar
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    This is a fantastic first character and sure as hell beats mine!
    What kind of material is her suit made from? I see no material definition other than seams.

The leather can also use some work, especially with defining the shape of the edges where it is laced together. There should be a bit of waviness to it or something from the tension in the lace, even if it's fairly loose. Also note how folds are changed as they transition from one side of a seam to the other. Maybe this pic will help as it has a nice combination of loose and tight folds. Leather is very tricky... Pay close attention to how it conforms to the body as well.
    Keep it up!

leather_ref.jpg
  • maverickhornet
    Offline / Send Message
    maverickhornet polycounter lvl 9
    This is great! It's really come on leaps and bounds since the early stages. You've certainly nailed the silhouette and figure LOADS better than it was... in my opinion anyway.

My only gripe would be her butt seems a tad flat? Like it just needs filling out a little bit more... few more squats perhaps? :P. Maybe make it a little fuller.

Other than that she is flawless dude.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    yea, I agree with maverickhornet. From the side she looks too thin compared to the front, and she could use more curves from the side as well. Its just a weak point still in terms of overall proportion. But I think it does look really great so far, and I still love the face. :)
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Quasar - Thanks man greatly appreciated, as for the material for the torso area im definately oing to add folds but in terms of fine detail i was going to add it in NDo but this is what im trying go for [image below]

bf3xtw.jpg

maverickhornet - Thanks man ! means alot hearing that. Ya the but and hips ive been having trouble figuring out i'll definately fix that up, lol it will be fun looking at reference photos for that ;P

BradMyers82 - Thanks man :) ya im going to go in and push the profile curves some more, the profile looks to be my weak point right now.
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man

Looking beautiful man. Cant wait to see black leather reflections on this babe.
    Looking forward to the final high res with the folds etc

As for the repeating surface detail on her thigh etc i would use noisemaker in zbrush.I would use NDO for inorganics since organic uvs are sometimes not aligned straight and that can lead to difficult projections and results.
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Other than the high heels, this is a design I can appreciate a lot. Loving the progress, man. You'd better get some pupils on those eyes soon though, just to make sure everything is working. It'd stink to have to go back and make corrections on the face/eyelids/brow, the eyes change everything.
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    butt_sahib - Thx man means alot :D I never heard of noisemaker before but after looking it up I definately want to give it a try thats exactly what i've been looking for.

Makkon - Thanks man greatly appreciated, Ya the reason why I went for the heels was because I liked how the dark knight rises catwoman and arkham city catwoman had them, Ive been thinking about whter or not to keep them or shorten them a bit we'll have to see. Very good point about the eye i'll jump on that :)
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    good progress dude.

although for the pattern i would not use noisemaker unless you are using a ridiculous texture/mesh resolution.
    if you want to get this realtime, the best way to do it would be assigning a different material with a detail normal map (like they did in arkham city)
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    If you want to do it in zbrush the best way is to UV the suit then apply the pattern with noisemaker.
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Hey Everybody :D

So obviously its been awhile since I posted for Catwoman, Dont worry havent given up just ran into alot of problems with certain things I had to fix, Also I've been venturing into new territory in terms of modelling so I'm taking my time doing my research and just polishing her out. Its mainy the retopology and that took a bit and I unfortunately got a little frustrated and had to step away for a few days which Is why this is taking really long.

Also lroy and goeddy thanks for the advice and thanks lroy for the tutorial you messaged me very helpful, only problem was Zbrush kept crashing when I tried getting it to a subdiv high enough to make it look good, I did a test doing it in photoshop and it worked well so I'm probably going to have to do it that way.

Ok so here is the final sculpt, Also In the first picture I was wondering if you guys can tell me whether or not the iris and pupil look properly placed

ajwcc6.jpg

2edxws0.jpg

dpdzrq.jpg

And here is the topology i got so far ive been having alot of trouble with this especially the boots because of how many fold their are, Also its a lot higher res that it will be Im just trying to focus on the good topology right now. ALSO WIP

2i8g5k2.jpg

2lwbyh.jpg

211s5lf.jpg

So what do you guys think about the topology.Also I have a few questions that if anyone can answer would be real helpful:

1. Whats the best way to sculpt a eyeball and model and texture a In game eyeball?

2. Seeing the hairstyle above whats the best way to go about making haircards for it?

3. Whats a good nextgen tri count for her?

Thanks everyone for the crits and nice comments too :D
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Hey, looking nice! Good progress on this!

I would say the iris definitely looks too big. Pupil might be fine though.

The topology isn't bad, but polys are too dense towards the bottom of the legs and feet. It's really not the main part of the character and doesn't need as much detail. I know it's because of all the folds, but a lot of them you could leave to the normal map, only modelling in key areas for the silhouette. Take some of those edge loops and use them around the shoulders as they are looking a bit blocky (especially when in an arms down pose and the surface area will be stretched more).

In general you might want to re-visit the topology around the shoulders. It's one of the hardest areas to get right, especially with the higher poly low poly's! It's a mistake I've made in the past to just use the "tube" topology in this area. You need to maintain and contain the structure of the shoulder. Might be worth trying this:

deformation.jpg
    from http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115549&page=2

OR

w20omop.jpg
  • Jon Mills
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Mills polycounter lvl 6
    Looking great!, nice to see a slightly different take on cat woman, the mask design is great and I feel the face is nicely sculpted and carries a lot of personality, all i would say is that there are too many big heavy creases in those boots which dosent give the impression of a tight leather material, and as they are now they would be falling down her legs and wouldn't stay hitched up so high
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ Kend - Sculpt turned out great man! I would redo the topology of the eye you really want loops flowing around the eye similar to how you have the mouth.

As for your questions:

1. You don't really have to sculpt it, but some detail in the iris can look better. Take a look at these tutorials for a good setup:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1965457&postcount=274

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1970858&postcount=476

2. Hair is tough no matter how you handle it. It takes a lot of time to get just right. I would look into Insert Mesh brushes in zbrush for hair I will post a video and link to a brush below. Here a some links to help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-TsteJQGg8

http://vimeo.com/76122872

IMM Brush:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/udlwdhrqku34irg/IMM%20HairBrush_JonathanNasconeArt.zip

3. It really depends on the usage. If it's for a 3rd person sort of game I probably wouldn't go over 30 - 40k tris. First person games I wouldn't go over 60k tris. This is just what I would do personally. For most games you will get diminishing returns after 60k tris unless you are doing supper close up shots.

@ Fomori - Those are not great. Sure they may have the muscles in mind, but skinning that would be a major pain. If you handed that topology to a rigger they would hit you.
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    @ Fomori - Those are not great. Sure they may have the muscles in mind, but skinning that would be a major pain. If you handed that topology to a rigger they would hit you.

I disagree dude. I've tried skinning both and I would prefer the option to retain the bulge of the shoulder. Skinning a tubed shoulder that's dense in polys is a pain in my opinion. But granted retaining the bulge of the shoulder is more important for muscular arms.

If you're up to it Kend you should test both! Either way, you need more edge loops as the polygon stepping is really obvious there.
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Kend

I can understand your frustration surrounding retopology, i myself am in the process of retopologising a model of mine and its been a total pain in the ass honestly:poly142:. By far the most redundant process in character making, followed by UVing :\

The model looks terrific. The face looks awesome aswell.
    I agree with Jon about the folds on the shoes/leg thing. You cant really tell if the cloth is tight or loose. I remember it as
    Tight=more horizontal +Sharper folds
    Loose=more vertical +Blobbier folds
    Also, you could have accentuated the smooth-compression-smooth transition more. That is, more compact folds at the knee and the ankles with smooth areas inbetween. I can see its there but if you accentuated it further i believe it would have looked better.
    But youre done now and dont have to go back. Just suggesting some things for future projects :)

The lowres looks great but yes,
    a- you need more loops for the shoulder for better deformation.
    b- The polygons on the shoes seem too much. Just go in and cut it in half. Dont be scared about using triangles.

I really like how you are doing your research. I suggest you go check out and spend alot of time in the polycount wiki. Eric really has made the wiki into a bible for all things related to gameart etc. Its an excellent resource.

Your questions (which are hard to read in red lol)
    1.Making good eyeballs is pretty crucial to sell a character. Whats the best way? whichever way suits you the best.
    You could possibly do it like how i would. Model a sphere into a sclera+iris component and put a sphere ontop of that sphere with a bump in the middle for the cornea. The cornea would be transparent and reflect the environment. The inner sphere wil get the iris and scleral textures.
    Check this out (go down to the eye section)

2.Again, check this page out.

3.As mentioned above, the polycounts vary. I read on the Blood/Petrol rules that nextgen characters have tricounts upwards of 100k. Bottom line is if this is your portfolio piece it has just to convey the fact that you know how to use your triangles.
    Your polycount seems ok atm

Good luck man!
    Looking forward to your updates :)

P>S
    As far as the shoulder topology issue is concerned. Again, the polycount wiki to the rescue! :)
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    wow, how did i miss this. This is looking amazing
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Fomori - Thanks man :D , Thanks for the ref pics but ive heard that you should avoid modelling the topology to the shape of the shoulder, I dunno im gonna have to alot research for the shoulder and make it less blocky, and the legs I definately made too dense.

Jon mills - thanks man :D, I definately need to go back on the boots, the boots are being held up by the strap on the hip and the boot isnt supposed to be super tight, this is wat I was using for reference:
    2ykf2af.jpg

stevston89 - Thanks man :D , Thanks for the links to the eye tutorials. I really want to nail the eyes right. That mesh insert brush for the hair looks super helpful :) Ya Ive heard that make the topology follow the muscle is not good for rigging as well, Im going to have to study the wiki on that. Im aiming for 20k this is supposed to be third person like arkham city. This is the hairstyle im trying to capture as well
    fo3ogp.jpg

butt_sahib - Thanks man :D Ya topology is killing me man and Uving is gonna suck too lol. As for the boots I agree I definately need to go back on them Thanks for pointing out when to use sharper crease I think thats my problem right now with the boots is I put too many sharp crease in between ankle and knee, see above what im using for reference for the boots. Ya the wiki I definately need to look through that didnt know how much helpful stuff it had. Also the question were in red because they were ones i really needed answered LOL.

Iciban - Thanks man :D
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    hey evryone so ive been progressing really well on topo and hair cards but I wanted to take the time to get sum crits on my first attempt to fix the boots, I've had alot of trouble with this so any crits are greatly appreciated, Also the blue arrow is pointing to the straps the hold up the boots there supposed to be baggy

REFERENCE

2ykf2af.jpg

WIP

1z2d9qu.jpg

Which do you think is better? THX FOR THE CRITS
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Topology Update So I've Been working on the topology and Its still a very High tri count but im going to worry about that a little later right now i just want to get the proper topology down right now, the polycount wiki as been very helpful im still going through that. So here is a update on the topology:

20a5req.jpg
    258p537.jpg
    142scg7.jpg
    29mvbpz.jpg

Also I didnt get any replys on my last post for the boots, If anyone could drop a quick crit on the direction of the boots that be great. Also more questions.

1. When Uv unwrapping characters How should I split up the texture maps, Ive seen alot of characters use a separate map for the head and then the body, dod they do that by separating the meshes or different Uv sets? Or wat is the most effective way.

2. Whats a good way to paint hair cards?
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Boots look good. I wouldn't worry about them too much. I would still recommend reworking the eye topology. They way you have it will not deform well at all. You really want loops flowing around the eye like you have with the mouth.

on to your questions:

1. It really depends, but for me I wouldn't separate the head for this model. Usually the reason to separate the head is to give it more resolution. Since most of your head is a mask I you really don't need the extra resolution for the mask. You are going to need a separate mesh if you have two textures AFAIK. Most engines need seperate meshes so you can apply the two different materials.

2. First for the the hair you are going to need 4 - 5 times more hair strips than you have. Second it's really important to make sure your strips are unwrapped in straight flat rectangles and that they are all at the same angle ( I would make sure they are at a 90 degree angle). It makes it easier to texture and easier to work with anistropic shaders.
  • gloriousczar
    Offline / Send Message
    gloriousczar polycounter lvl 6
    Just want to say I love this character. Really love the design. As for the boots, maybe keep the old leather cloth on the back of the thighs and on the shins keep the new version.

Also just to echo what steveston said, that topology on the eye needs to be fixed.

For hair, there's tonnes of good info on the wiki here (http://wiki.polycount.com/HairTechnique) but my favourite tutorial is this one - http://www.paultosca.com/varga_hair.html

Looking forward to seeing more of this!