Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Catwoman

Replies

• Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Stevston89 - hey man thanks again for the crits, I fixed the eye in the image below I was having a little trouble figuring out the edge loop there cause of the mask but hopefully i figured it out

Gloriousczar - hey man thanks alot, Hopefully the changes I made to the eye below is the right fix, and Ya that varga tutorials helpful thx for the link.

So another topology update, I havent done anything different with the hair cards yet Im going to work on that tonight, But this is pretty much the final body topology final tri count is 32,880 i'm expecting to go up a bit because im still adding Hair cards, Do you guys think that is a good Number for next gen? Also is it ok for me to put all this on one texture map the meshes that are separate on this model are the arms sleevs, gloves, boots, belt and backpack. how Should i split them up or just keep em on one texture map and use RGB map to separate materials?

Anyways heres the update:

29xgitl.jpg

qnwoxk.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Much better with the eye. Though I would take a look at the shoes towards the bottom. The tri count could probably be cut in half there. Maybe cut the count in the hands a bit as well, other than that it looks great.

Also 32k tris is a good number. That's around what I generally aim for.
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Wow, first time i see this thread. It's amazing work. (And picking Amanda Seyfried as reference was a really cool idea).
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    Just want to say this is excellent work. I especially like mixing the artgerm design with the purple color scheme.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    Nice choice with amanda s. as the reference model. that woman is RIDICULOUSLY beautiful
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Stevston89 - Thanks man, ya I lowered the hands and feet their was definately extra Tris there

Suba - Thanks alot man, Ya Amanda seyfried has a feline look to her so thats why I decided to use her.

ScottmichaelH - Thanks alot man :D , ya i liked artgerms take alot but I also miss the original purple catwoman so i mixed them together.

Pancakes - Ya shes gorgeous, hopefully I captured that beauty :P

okay So I've finished the hair cards If the hair cards end up looking ok Ill be on to the Unwrapping phase, What do u guys think about the hair cards:

i5vxbc.jpg
    2646n3d.jpg

And here is the hairstyle I was going for:

fo3ogp.jpg

Also Im stuck at the unwrapping phase in terms of how to separate everything on the texture map should I make one big texture map for everything or use separate maps for hair cards, accesories, boots etc.?

Any advice for the texture maps i got everything unwrapped just need to figure out how to separate it.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Hair cards look good. You want to make sure they are unwrapped straight. If you are using newish version max pelt or peel them and then use the straighten option. Also make sure you keep them at a 90 degree angle. It will make it easier to texture and will be easy to work with an anistropic shader.
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    Just wanted to chime in with the choir - awesome design, she looks really great. It's very refreshing to see a Catwoman who isn't all black leather and latex!
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Stevston89 - Thanks man, Ya ive been making them straight, pelt is really helpful thanks for that :)

Jigsaw - Thanks man :D , Ya thats what I was trying to go for, the latex never caught on with me and I miss the purple catwoman.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    Could an admin please do their job and correct the misleading title from "Catwoman" to "Best Gotdam Catwoman of All Timez"
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Pancakes - lol that means alot hearing that thx man :D Super motivating!

So I'm working on the Uvw unwrap right now I'll be posting stuff later tonight :)

If your new to the thread drop a crit and let me know what u think.
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Hello everyone :D So I'm almost done and got everything ready for texturing. However i need some help on the texture maps and unwrapping, So I've unwrapped everything and I've decided to slit it into two different maps. i dont know how next gen is splitting up the model on the maps so I did like below:

sg4ykp.jpg

rihrg2.jpg

So should I do it differently split them into more maps or something else? how do I determine what should be on a separate map and what should be together im a little confused with how next gen does it.

Pls reply with a crit I can use the help on this once I figure this out I'm onto texturing im really hoping to get this done in the next few days because i have those days free. thank you to all the people who keep critiqing its been very helpful :D
  • gloriousczar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gloriousczar polycounter lvl 6
    Personally I would straighten out those smaller UV shells (they look like the straps?) I find it makes texturing a bit easier. Also are your eyelashes on the first UV map? If they are I would put those on the hair card texture sheet. I would also scale up my smaller UV shells about 20 percent to fill up the empty space a bit more. What size are you planning to use for maps? I feel like the head could use a bit more resolution but someone more experienced with character could probably offer more insight on that. Can't wait to seeing this baked down.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    You could unwrap them by material. Usually, I keep the flesh/skin separated from the clothing. Eyes and hair can go on the same map as skin. If there are many accessory, they can be separated from the body texture map as well. I try to think of it as modular, or at least color swap :)
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Ok So I've started texturing heres a WIP of the backpack:

2u9pt07.jpg

So I've Split the model into 5 texture sets Im Doing it this Because I saw These two as good examples:

Gilbert magno's Vi Fan Art

Sergey Romanenko Kroenen Tutorial

They both used multiple Uv sets or textures so thats what im going to do. im using Diffuse, Specular, Gloss, Normal. This is my first time using NDO and Marmoset so If you notice anything odd ls point it out :) I'll be posting alot of updates today, PLS CRIT :D Thx
  • Supposable Lion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Supposable Lion polycounter lvl 4
    Catwoman's looking badass gorgeous! Great choice with the purple outfit. :D
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Finally some eye candy!! :)
    Looking great man!

The buckle feels soft and wobbly. Especially the front buckle. Was this intentional i.e. like this on your high res? I just checked your high res but dont know for sure.
    Anyhoo, if it wasnt unintentional you should split your uvs along that edge so you get a nice hard edges around the buckle edges. Not sure if you know this or not.
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Supposable Lion - Thansk man :D Ya I always loved the purple outfit So I definately had to bring it back.\

butt_sahib - Thx man, i didnt know that about the UV's I'll definately do that, Also I know what you mean bout the buckles but which were You referring to the ones on the backpack or the ones on the ring or both?
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :) the ones on attached to the ring seem like they need to be remapped to me :)
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Butt_sahib - Ok sweet i'll definately fix those, havent fixed them in the update below but will be later.

Ok So Ive never textured skin before so I've been messing around with marmoset toolbag and my textures to come up with something good, also I'm still learning about the skin shader and sub surface scattering so tell me what You guys think, any advice when it comes to skin? Specular for skin etc.

i214lg.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    looks good man, I think the eyebrows look raised a bit like she is surprised. Whites of the eyes need to be darker and the iris is a bit warped (not round). Eyes look a tad too wide also. The purple suit looks too saturated to me, but thats something I'm sure you will work on. Skin looks really good to me so far, Maybe it could use a bit more reds from sss tho. I'm no expert on skin though.
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    bradmyers82 - Ya I think the saturated purple is the lighting I'm still working on it, and the eyes im still working on as well, thx for the crits :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I would lower the brightness of the subdermis map a little, you've got a jelly skin look going on at the moment. Also bear in mind that if she's wearing lipstic, you need to severely reduce the subdermis contribution to the lips (ideally just remove it completely).

Her skin seems a little too glossy as well, i'd give her a nice broad, flat gloss and then tighten up a little with the secondary reflection to simulate oils.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    almighty_gir - thanks for the advice this is my first time doing skin texturing I'm still trying to figure out subdermis and skin gloss and all that.

doeseph - Thanks man :D

Anyone know any good turoials on texuring skin such as specular, gloss etc?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    If you haven't seen it yet, Joe and i did a vid on how to approach character rendering in Toolbag2:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAyx-C3O1Hc"]Toolbag 2 | Shader Setup for Characters *Live Demo* - YouTube[/ame]
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Almighty_gir - Thanks for the link man great vid :D

So I just started using Quixel suite and ive ran into a huge problem, does anyone know why this happens to my mesh in 3Do ???

llhcm.jpg

Why does it do that checkered see through thing, and it is see through the parts that are checkered out.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    apply an edit mesh modifier and then export as an obj, should fix the issue. i've had it a few times, i can never replicate it but i know that fixes it for me.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    it doesn't handle wuads or ngons, just triangulate your mesh and it should be fixed
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking sweet!
    Thank you Lee for the video you posted. Need to see through that :)

I suggest going through the respective software threads over in the techinical forums if you run into any problems. Theres pretty much always someone whose had a similar problem as you.
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Thanks guys :D Finnally fixed the DDO glitch

Ok so this is my first time tackling texturing at this scale and for a Character So its taken longer than expected but ive been trying multiple methods and practicing the techniques and just learning. Also I'm new to marmoset so the picture below is my first time setting up lights and trying to do a beauty render. The belt isnt textured yet, and I'm working on the hair next. ALso still have to do skin shader maps.

20sins.jpg
    hrkf21.jpg

So what do you guys think? Next up is the Hair and belt textures.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Do you have lashes on her? Also, her eye looks way too light colored. Skin is off to a decent start. Interested to see this progress...
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    The eyes need an "under shadow" layer on them. It basically to add a shadow effect on the eyball just right underneath the upper eyelid. Right now, the eyes are too bright and just pops out too forward at the moment. Keep it up!
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Slosh - No eye lashes yet, and ya im gonna darken up those eyes.

Garriola83 - When you say under shadow layer do You mean like adding it to the diffuse or making a plane with a opacity map with a dark color to make it darker, I was wondering about that I thought the lights in the scene would naturally do that, and ya the eyes have been feeling like they jump out to much.
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    This is still coming along very nicely :D
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Kend looking great. Make the eye shadow thing an alpha plane, seperate from the diffuse, that way it stays in place if you rotate the eye.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    ysalex wrote: »
    Kend looking great. Make the eye shadow thing an alpha plane, seperate from the diffuse, that way it stays in place if you rotate the eye.

was just gonna suggest this...
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Xaragoth - Thx man greatly appreciated

Ysalex - Thx man, Thx for the idea bout the alpha plane man I added it to the image below

slosh - lol

Ok so I added the eyes shadow plane and the top eye lash, I also fixed up the shape of the eye to make it look nicer, Tell me what you guys think.

Next Step is the Skin shader maps Ive never painted them before so its been taking me a bit but I'll have em up tonight. Also i feel like I pushed those eyebrows too far up im gonna have to go in and fix that too, Hoping to have the face done tonight.

Added some bloom for a nice render.

axcy0z.jpg
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    hello everyone so I've gotten the skin maps done, I have never done this before so im very unaware of whats right and wrong So i would love to get some crits especially on the subdermis map. Once i get the face nailed all I have to do is the hair and then posing time :D!!

1zdahph.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    question:

why are her lips/eyesockets white in the subdermis map?

my biggest feedback on the subdermis would be that it's too saturated, Joe and i talked about this a little in the video, but the subdermis channel has three separate controllers for the same thing.

1. the slider, this could be considered the "master" controller, and i'd suggest leaving it at 1. the slider multiplies over the result of the map or colour channel, so as you lower it the other components become less potent.

2. the colour map and colour swatch both have the same effect, and they multiply with each other. as a genreal rule if you're using a colour map, you should make the colour swatch white.

3. this means that if you're using a colour map, then all of the control should be done in that map. the more saturated the map the closer to "1" it is, and the more jelly like the skin will become.

So overall i think she's coming along great, the skin has a pretty good feel to it, although i'd say it's a little on the jelly side (darken the subdermis a little). But i'm confused as to why you'd make the lips white?
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    The eyebrows feel alright..
    Afterall the mask part in that area is pretty low...
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    This is coming along nicely. A few crits. First the edge of the iris should be blurred. I think you fuzz map is too intense and should be more of a black and white sort of noise map not gray tones. I would even just make a hair brush and paint white over top of a black background to get the peach fuzz in there. Also as gir mentioned your subdermis is a bit saturated and I think a bit too strong. Also let the reds of the eye come in further.
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Almighty_Gir - Thanks man, The reason why I made her eyes and lips white because inn the video you posted Yuri's subdermis map looked like it had white on the lips and eyes but I guess that was meant for the mouth/eye bag instead it looked white there my bad LOL I'll jump in and change that, I'll definately tone down the saturation did that by accident, The way i made it was i took the diffuse and messed with the hue/saturation, levels, and overall color is that a good way of going about the subdermis?

Rumkugel - Good point

Stevston89 - Thanks man, I know what you mean about the eyes forgot about that edge, ya the subdermis im gonna have to tone it down, and for the fuzz map I did add a toned down noise map to it do you mean get rid of all the grey areas and make it striaght up noise map with some hair brushing over top of it? i'll have to try both ways you mentioned out never done fuzz before so gonna mess around with it.

Thanks guys for the crits :D
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kend, to get a good glimpse on what to paint what color and what saturation on the subdermis, study some MRT or CT muscle scan pictures.

i cant find a better picture right now, but something like this:

FigA.grid-4x2.jpg
    just imagine more muscles around the skull.
    it´ll give you good points on what values to use for what region.

as for the lips.
    i guess shes got make up them?
    those arease will of course not scatter.
    eye sockets still do, eyelids wont if makeup is applied.

As for the eyes.. the alpha shadow mask on them should be more fluent.
    atm it just looks like u used a single stroke value.
    rather use a gradient.

to catch the "wetness" on the eye/eyelid crease, use a normal map on the alpha.
    i baked it off using a spline, that i placed in that crease.

works like a charm
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    rumkugel - thanks for the pic and the reference examples for subdermis very helpful.

Hello everyone so am officially saying DONE for this character, I will fix things up based on Critiques but i in my opinion only thing left to do is the pose which is definately going to be a challenge in itself to figure out a great pose, so anybody and everybody tell me what you think about her dont hold back :D

dxfdx4.jpg
    2o94z.jpg
    symu4g.jpg
    2vjbfgg.jpg
    ostsso.jpg
    2n9cahk.jpg
    2lv20hu.jpg
    2md1kld.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    She's come out really solid man!

Personally i feel like she could do with a little wear and tear, some scuffing along the knees/elbows maybe, a couple of really small rips or like a tear in her ear or something. Just something to break up these big blocks of colour.

But overall solid man. You should be proud!
  • X³²Lapis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X³²Lapis polycounter lvl 10
    She's looking awesome so far Kend!
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Great work man! The face looks great, but I think the other textures need to be pushed a little further. As Gir said, add some more colour variation, some subtle scratches, dirt, dust, wear marks and scuffs. For the hair, again add a little variation and break up those ends some more. In the back view, it looks like the bald back of her head is showing, you might want to cover that up, perhaps with more hair strips and/or painting hair into the head texture. This is looking great man, I think it would be worth it to push it just a little further :)
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keep the face.

only thing that bothers me is the really hard edge on the iris/eyeball transition.
    i´d soften that up. no idea how you build your eye tho.