Home General Discussion

Unreal Tournament coming back...

Anchang-Style
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
According to an IGN news that quotes a direct tweet by Mark Rein, we can expect a new Unreal Tournament in the future. The article gives a timeframe for news on the next UT:
Paul Meegan, vice president of product development at Epic, followed Rein's tweet with information on when we'll know more: "UE4 Dev Community + Epic. The future of Unreal Tournament. Tune in to Twitch.tv/UnrealEngine Thursday at 2pm ET."

This news followed a long term denial of a new UT by just the same Mark Rein...so the cat is out the bag...somewhat.
Source: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/05/02/epic-games-co-founder-teases-unreal-tournament-comeback

Thoughts? (sorry if it was posted havent seen a thread on this). Well iam quite happy to see this. Always liked UT even the latest one and liked the amount of modding done on them (yeah we got the UE4 now but modding based on existing Gameplay is a nice way to go too).

Replies

• iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Hmm time to get my level design skills back than and make some more maps. If this rings true I may jump on this.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    If true, only really care if they return to UT1 gameplay for single player. UT3 was beautiful, but a mess;
    The whole single player experience was about you leading a pack of bots with the IQ of a baked potato into battle against increasingly smarter bots, all you did was spend every match trying to make up for your bot 'team mates' failures. It was not fun.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside wrote: »

Well Journalists also spotted this (let's see if this works:)
    RT @CodeSe7en: @MarkRein @Storm360 UT is coming back!? I've been begging for this very thing! <-Yes UT coming back!
    By Mark Rein

and
    UE4 Dev Community + Epic. The future of Unreal Tournament. Tune in to http://www.Twitch.tv/UnrealEngine Thursday at 2pm ET. #unrealdev #FirstBlood

Paul Meegan

so what this means? no clue some crowdsourced maybe?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hate that image so much. Bald faced trolling and so lazy.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I hate that image so much. Bald faced trolling and so lazy.

On the other hand this, image bears to much truth to be ignored.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I'm stoked!
    Should be lots of fun and sure look great! Don't have to be UT1, UT2k4 or UT3, just needs to have that old school arcadeish feel to it for me. Imagine how they will go wild for the weapons particles FX with all those cool things in UE4, it will be glorious! :)
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyway, something tells me, that creating next UT game will be community effort and Epic will approve it.

So. I want to get Assault mode back. Say what you will, it was thing I enjoyed most in UT1 ;p.
    Now imagine it, with all that destruction around and medieval castle.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'm super pumped about this. i always loved the OTT bombastic feel of the UT franchise, it felt like they tried to combine super sci-fi with "realistic" reactions (ie - you get shot once you die kinda thing) with UT3 and it didn't work. UT4 is probably my paradise.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside wrote: »
    On the other hand this, image bears to much truth to be ignored.

It's just the natural progression of "get red skull key > open red skull door" to a story based experience.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    FUCK YEAH!!!!!!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I'm so pumped about this. I really just hope it brings back the fun UT & UT2k4 were. arcadey twitch shooter. TF2 is great but I really, really miss quake/ut style fps. If they did a F2P model following tf2/dota2 where the game is free and supported by cosmetics it could be fucking awesome.

I mean shit, let the users make skins like in the old days and monetize exactly like valve does.

just make sure the game is fun PLEASE OH GOD PLEASE

next week can't come soon enough. I hate announcements of announcements.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    MMMMMMMMMMONSTER KILLL KILL KILL KILL!!!!
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Oh yeeey, awesome news. I hope they go back to UT1 roots and influence from it. And I hope no forceful implementation of a story like in ut3, a 'tourmanent' driven story would be sufficient. Well I know multiplayer and gameplay matters most but still :)
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I'm really excited for next week!

UT3 had great potential but unfortunately I think they slowed things down too much in terms of gameplay. I could care less about a campaign because everything comes down to the multiplayer (in my opinion.)

If we do see another UT game, fanmade or made by Epic Games, I'd hope they would remake a bunch of classic maps in addition to making a lot of new maps(which would be the best for gameplay since remakes rarely translate well into a new game.) I would love to see Rankin, Deck 17, and Facing Worlds make a return in addition to a bunch of other great maps.

I'd also love to see the Invasion gametype return, Invasion + the RPG mods were so much fun! I would also hope that the character customization system from UT3 would return, in addition to all of the race choices that were available in 2k4.

As for monetization, I hope they DON'T do it the way Valve does it (as somebody above suggested.) Mods and custom content have always been great because anybody could make basically anything they desire and anybody could download mods for free.

I think Valve has some good ideas, but they're also limited in some areas. In a game like CSGO for example, if I make a high quality skin, I can't use it myself in-game because custom skins aren't allowed in most public servers meaning the only way to use a skin I made would be to hope that it obtains thousands of votes by others, which of course, won't happen for most people.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Please let it be a replication of UT 2004. I'm probably one of the few that feels UT 2004 improved on everything with UT 1 and had a pretty fun and solid little single player part to it. It had better bots, better weapons, better maps and generally a better overall feel.

Also best OST.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I actually just went back and installed UT1 and UT2014 and the gameplay is still so smooth. I wasn't a fan of the last one, but if they go back to the earlier style of gameplay I'm down.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    2k4 is probably the "perfect" unreal game, it had great multiplayer, the "campaign" was basically just a tutorial for the multiplayer, and the modding... omg the modding was incredible.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I would be afraid of Epic changing it to a freemium model. Which I could totally see them doing. Charge for any player character or paint job beyond the stock.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If they want to do the F2P route, I hope they copy TF2's model.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I'd be happy if it was even on the same level as UT3, at least it had a really good custom map community(HOLP maps were awesome. Penetrated was one of my favorite Duel maps too).

Although, I hope they do away with the Necris stuff. I love the grittiness of UT, but god the Necris-themed maps were horrible. Except Sentinel...
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    WarrenM wrote: »
    It's just the natural progression of "get red skull key > open red skull door" to a story based experience.

It really isn't though. Gears is what I would call the classic archetype of corridor->combat bowl->cutscene level design (also, Call of Duty). That image is totally spot on in that regard.

Other games do not do this. Naming two games I've played recently, Dishonored and Borderlands 2 both have strong stories and do not use this format. Dishonored in particular is a good example that you really don't have to do this to have a strong narrative.
    leleuxart wrote: »
    Although, I hope they do away with the Necris stuff. I love the grittiness of UT, but god the Necris-themed maps were horrible. Except Sentinel...

Personally I love the Necris art style, but it is not conducive good arena shooter gameplay. Players need to be able to rapidly discern their environment and it's contents, but really dark, noisy rooms with complex architecture do not allow players to do that. Cleaner, simpler design is needed so that it can be read effectively.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yay, would love a new UT game, and agree, 2004 was great, consider it's 'father' 2003, which was a mental mutant retard of UT and Quake 3. And while I love a Unreal game, I do believe that UT should stay as a multiplayer game, with bots.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Hermit wrote: »
    BITmX.jpg

Neither of those are examples of good multiplayer map design.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think we're all aware of that?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »
    I think we're all aware of that?

Then what is it doing in a discussion of a new Unreal Tournament?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's the JPG version of a fedora.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I read the comment, I guess an image comparing a Doom MP map and a modern MP map would make more sense - of coarse it probably wouldn't support your theory on the decline of level design.

If you've done any Doom mapping you should be aware of the limitations that lead to sprawling, labyrinthine levels.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    If this takes off, man.. Hyper-Blast 2 in UE4? Oh man, or Torlan, or goddamn Convoy. So many great things.

The old (and to an extent new) UT games had some seriously well designed maps, with great focus on verticality and clever view obstruction, to keep the combat close up and fast paced. I didn't get the same feeling in UT 3, as it felt too much like a garbled mess of desaturated colour palettes and detail.

Also, if this spawns off a new Make Something Unreal contest, with the results the like of the 2k4 one, it will be a great time to be alive :D
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is me hoping for a return of the Train Map...always loved the feeling of fighting on a riding train.
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    If Unreal 3 then it should be an open world imo. If UT4 then all the UTs combined.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    This is definitely good news. I thought they were crazy when they announced there will be no more UT. Perhaps re-envisioning UT and its scope might be worth looking into though. Something with an option for depth than just the usual run n gun.
  • moose
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    After seeing Chris Perna, I can understand why Gears characters are built like oxen.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Pretty awesome news - I can't wait to see how this goes. It could be the rebirth of the PPM, which would be nice for folks here at polycount.
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy polycounter lvl 12
    Gonna be Free

But they did note that with Unreal Engine 4 that you can sell products, I'm guessing that's where they're getting all their money now, Engine rights and marketplace, so hopefully no Micro-transactions.

They're really trying to push their interaction with the community, I'm excited to see what's going to come out of this.

A AAA developer working closely with their community?

Sounds like Valve
  • moose
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy polycounter lvl 12
    "We’ll eventually create a marketplace where developers, modders, artists and gamers can give away, buy and sell mods and content. Earnings from the marketplace will be split between the mod/content developer, and Epic. That’s how we plan to pay for the game."

Yep, this is gonna be good.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    That's .... awesome !!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Finally!! I can now put the cock tank into a game with the new total conversion

Cock Whorefare
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I'll be curious to see how the marketplace works since I imagine they'll have maps that you'll need to buy or you'll get kicked off a server you're playing on. Otherwise dis gun be goooood.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Exciting!
    The new Unreal Tournament will probably become totally crazy with all the community involvement but I'm all for it! :)
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    :icon60: :icon60:
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    "No no no guys, it's not free-to-play, its just free."
    Made me chuckle. Talk about a tainted term.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    cool! excited to see where this goes, ill be trying to hang out in those forums some more.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    MDiamond wrote: »
    "No no no guys, it's not free-to-play, its just free."
    Made me chuckle. Talk about a tainted term.

This..

Call it what they will, but micro transactions are still f2p. I actually hope CC do start to charge more for each smaller transaction as has been mentioned in financial news before. It would really cha ge this whole landscape.

It gives too much control to Epic to what to allow if everything has to go through them. Want that penis gun that shoots sperm as a joke mod? Not gonna happen. Since I assume like TF2 (which I lost interest in when it went f2p) will have to plug into the store ( aybe not character models but anything tht does change gAmeplay). Does this mean server operators are going to have to buy anything their clients want as well?

CliffyB mentioned awhile back interest in making his own twitch game. If he does maybe that will be the true suc essor.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    This sounds really promising! I look forward to seeing how this develops, and I definitely want to make some stuff for the next UT.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, if it'c going to be community driven, who's in Team Polycount :p?
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
    oXYnary wrote: »
    This..

Call it what they will, but micro transactions are still f2p. I actually hope CC do start to charge more for each smaller transaction as has been mentioned in financial news before. It would really cha ge this whole landscape.

It gives too much control to Epic to what to allow if everything has to go through them. Want that penis gun that shoots sperm as a joke mod? Not gonna happen. Since I assume like TF2 (which I lost interest in when it went f2p) will have to plug into the store ( aybe not character models but anything tht does change gAmeplay). Does this mean server operators are going to have to buy anything their clients want as well?

CliffyB mentioned awhile back interest in making his own twitch game. If he does maybe that will be the true suc essor.

the main difference is they probably only care to screen anything that goes on the marketplace for sale. if there's free penis tanks, why bother caring? It certainly won't affect anyone's opinion of the game, UT has ALWAYS had those sorts of mods.