Home General Discussion

New GDC Tech Details: The Order: 1886

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
Full Article Here:http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03/21/the-order-1886-fantastic-screenshots-and-renders-and-new-details-on-the-engine-emerge-from-gdc/
Download PowerPoint: http://mynameismjp.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/rad_gdc_2014.pptx

The Facts:
The Order: 1886 began in early 2011, and it originally only had two graphics programmers. Now the team has five. The game employs a total of about 100 developers.

Memory is allocated in the following way (MiB doesn’t stand for Men in Black but for Mebibyte, which is pretty much an equivalent of a Megabyte used in technical literature):
  • 2 GB textures budget
  • 128 MiB sound budget
  • 700 MiB level geometry
  • 600 MiB character textures
  • 250 MiB global textures (FX, UI, light maps, etc..) – Even characters have lightmap data
  • 700 MiB animation
Environmental art is mapped at 512 pixels per unit and standard environment tiling textures are 1024

Replies

• NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I was able to understand some of the words in that powerpoint! Ahhhh math, we meet again.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    A bunch of recycled stuff from last year...but a bunch of new stuff also. Really awesome lighting techniques! Cool stuff.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks! I'm so excited for this game. Now I just need a PS4...

Edit: On slide 96, what is that showing? Are those the tiles from the Forward+ renderer for the lighting? The same setup is on slide 80, but isn't as colorful.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    leleuxart wrote: »
    Edit: On slide 96, what is that showing? Are those the tiles from the Forward+ renderer for the lighting? The same setup is on slide 80, but isn't as colorful.

There are descriptions in the notes for each slide:

Slide 80:
    This is a visualization of the number of layers per material. Most of them are 3, some are 1.

Slide 96:
    This is a mode showing the number of lights that intersect each 16x16 tile. It basically tells you how expensive the lighting will be. Green is good, blue is okay, red is bad, and white means that we won’t ship.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Swizzle wrote: »
    There are descriptions in the notes for each slide:

Thanks. I was viewing the PowerPoint in GDrive, so it wasn't showing me the notes.