Home General Discussion

A Game developer's podcast

Replies

• MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks, we really appreciate that :) A lot of work had indeed gone into it already, I've been putting pretty much all of my spare time into the website for the past three weeks for one :p

There's more big stuff coming though, but we're not quite ready to reveal that yet :)
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Always a fun time guys! Cheers!~
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    episode-17.png

Episode 17:

Mattias and Wiktor are joined by Benjamin Leary and Matthew White as they talk about the recently released “The Stanley Parable” and the implications games like it make on the concept of choice in videogames. Also, with more and more games being built on the ability to create entire worlds Minecraft style, building games have come into attention as a developing and rapidly evolving concept; with evolving hardware, voxel engines are being used more and more, and we examine where this might take us.

header.png

And something new: an article I wrote on the value of good community integration to extend the lifetime of your game.
    This will be the spearhead of what we hope is going to be a wave of content coming to the site, and the first step in our movement towards making it into a proper platform; more information on that will follow later. For now, please let us know what you think about this piece, we value any feedback we can get

Marketing and public relations in games has, in recent years, taken some exciting turns which are very rarely, if ever, seen in other industries. With various interesting platforms arising that could potentially benefit a marketing campaign, I thought it would be a good idea to reflect on the various uses of a loyal community, and how it can benefit or hurt you as a developer/publisher.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Excellent article Mattias, will definitely be passing that onto a couple colleagues who I know will find it interesting.

And, as I've said about a hundred times, had a lot of fun doing this, cheers!
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    Cool. I've been waiting for something new to listen to
  • Twoflower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have been following these since about episode 5-6. Just wanted to say keep up the great podcasts! they are awesome to listen to while drawing.
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks everyone, the comments are very much appreciated :)

For anyone that may have read the article, any thoughts?
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update here, it's been a while :)

Episode 18 went online quite a while ago:

http://www.thegamedevcast.com/index.php/2013/11/11/episode-18-next-genlast-gen-and-console-cycles/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV4b1js0qkM"]The Gamedev Cast Episode 18: Next-Gen/Last-Gen and Cycle issues. - YouTube[/ame]

Mattias and Wiktor are joined by Tanner and Alexander to discuss the ongoing validity of yearly development cycles, after a lengthy discussion about whether or not cloud gaming is going to eliminate the need for another console generation.

Plus, we've just put an entirely new website design online: we've been going back and forth between designs for a while now, but we feel like we're ready to settle on this one.
    We do, however, would like to ask for feedback - if there are any parts of the site still broken, we would like to know about it, as well as anything that stands out to anyone as either annoying or out of place.

thanks in advance!
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    streaming our recap episode of 2013 in a couple minutes:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niXu-4Kk3uc"]The Gamedev Cast 2013 recap: LIVE - YouTube[/ame]

taking live questions, so tune in! (and share plz)
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just out of curiosity - for those of you who have already watched it or followed the livestream, what did you think? As always, we're very eager for feedback, so any feedback we can get is more than welcome :)
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    I had a listen while I was workin on my scene. Pretty cool discussion, especially the SteamOS stuff. loved it!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I really enjoy these podcasts.

With that said, I'd like to see a more technical oriented podcast every so often. It seems like the majority of game podcasts scratch the surface of the industry, rather than going in depth. For example, I'd love to hear Wiktor
  • Iaido
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iaido polycounter lvl 11
    How do I subscribe to this thread or any thread?
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I'm listening to some of the older episodes while I work. Not too shabby. I'm looking forward to hearing some of your insights on the major events of 2013.
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni wrote: »
    With that said, I'd like to see a more technical oriented podcast every so often. It seems like the majority of game podcasts scratch the surface of the industry, rather than going in depth.
    Other ideas.. Maybe a level designer/environment artist giving some criticism on single-player/multi-player maps and what could be done better.

One thing to note on that is that those kinds of subject matter run dry very quickly - we've discussed them before, but we quickly found that we ran out of things to say before we even got to a 15-minute conversation. It's true that Penny Arcade does videos of 15 minutes that go really in-depth, but quite frankly, we don't have as much time to put in our podcasts as they probably do in those videos. (talking about the PA Extra Credits series, incredibly good, if you haven't checked them out yet)

Honestly we just do these for fun, so we're glad when anyone enjoys them, but that does of course leave room for wanting to improve :)

We will consider the "getting an artist on the podcast" thing though; some art and code-centered episodes would be a nice switch up from the usual trend of following the news.