Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Last Hope - Artwork

The Game is finally out on Google Play!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.JESoftware.ZombieDefence&hl=sv

GooglePlay_Image.jpg

LastHope.jpg

Hi! My name is Jenz Olsson and I am a co founder of JE Software. We are a small Indie Game company located in south of Sweden. (I was previously an environment artist at IO Interactive. I worked on "Hitman Absolution" for over three years and ultimately got the game released.)

Today I want to introduce our working title "Last Hope". It is an arcade game for the popular mobile platforms.(We are using Unity game engine.) I don't want to go in to details what the game is all about, to be brief; It is about guns and zombies. :-)

!Everything is under development and still work in progress! I appreciate all the input and feedback I can get from all the wonderful artist here at Polycount. So don't be shy,say what you think or if you have nice ideas to share! I going to continue post samples from our art in this thread. Or if I just want to cry for help! ;-)

Please "like us" at Facebook if you find the project interesting. :thumbup:
https://www.facebook.com/JeSoftware

Our latest base Zombie Model: (Turntable .mp4 avi)
http://www.jenzolsson.se/JESoftware/Polycount/Turn.mp4

Wireframe and Texture of the Zombie:
It is a tricky balance to keep him likable, cute and scary at the same time. We are aiming for a colorful world but not completely without misery. This is, could be the first state of Zombie. As the time goes he becomes more and more skinny with more and more wrinkles.

Zombie.jpg

Finally some props from our game. Assembled around one of the shacks, same as the one seen on the start picture. Half and half with wireframe... (A little weird but I thought it kind of looked nice?) Better representations will be seen in the future with real screenshots from the game.

Props.jpg

That is it for today. I am going to give an update as soon as I have something new.
/J

Replies

• HotSizzlingJaz
    I made a Jerry Can today. We have explosive props in our game, this is a pretty typical example I would say. It is super red with a little rimlight, so it should be super obvious where it is on the screen.

I mirror the side so I made the text with small decals instead.(floating polys) Otherwise pretty straight forward. I mostly used one smoothing group.
    152 Tris /2 Materials. (The decal material disappears quickly.)

JerryCan.jpg
  • Zerari
    looks interesting. I'll be keeping up with the progress of this thread.
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    JE Software eh? ;)

I'm liking the style so far and dig the aesthetic of the first screen with the title. Are the characters going to have normal maps?
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    Zerari wrote: »
    looks interesting. I'll be keeping up with the progress of this thread.

Thanks a lot!
    mospheric wrote: »
    JE Software eh? ;)

I'm liking the style so far and dig the aesthetic of the first screen with the title. Are the characters going to have normal maps?

Thanks! And to answer your question: no
    - This is my motivation, 1. I mostly use the normalmaps to give the props a softer look (with low amount of polys and smoothing groups) but of course, also to add more detail. But the character already have a really soft shape, compared to a sofa for example. You could argue that, to add the extra polygons are cheaper then enable the normalmaps. For the weakest platforms we will disable the normalmaps, some of the props will have a little funky shading...

2. It is time consuming to make all the maps and we don't have a proper character artist in house. :-(
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    Today I made a grenade. It is going to be showed in the menus and be thrown on the levels. Boom! The one you throw will be the same but without the splint part on the model. Because it is so small in the game, I wont be removing parts of the splint in the texture. You wont see it if you don't know it... but, ehm, now you do know it :-(

Grenade.jpg
  • silkroadgame
    The design of your game is impressing for me,good character and props!
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Wahey! Go go jenz!
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    Thanks Silkroadgame! Och tack s
  • copenhagenjazz
    Offline / Send Message
    copenhagenjazz polycounter lvl 14
    Wow that last night shot looks great Jenzo! Cant wait to see more :)
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    this looks awezome, gooo sweden!! :)
    var exakt
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Night skydome needs love, really want to see those stars and feel like it's different than the day setting. Ground can't change but sky can...
  • onizuka92
    Offline / Send Message
    onizuka92 polycounter lvl 9
    This is really nice. I really like the topology of the character and gas tank and the Texture map for the character.
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    Thanks a lot J! I will try to show something new every week.

Thanks lotet, We are spreaded all around, I am working from Karlskrona. :-)

Thanks for the feedback pixelpatron, I have added some flickering stars to the sky. What do you think?

I am glad to hear you like the character and props onizuka92! :-)

To see the sky in action:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jPrOvsBI7Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jPrOvsBI7Q[/ame]

How I did:
    NightSky.jpg
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    Hello everybody! I have just come home from a trip to Malaysia/Singapore. I was searching for signs of the Zombie Virus! I found some bad stomach ache but nothing more... :(

While I was in the jungle and trekking, my friendly programmer has updated the game with more game logic. But no art has been produced during the time I was away, unfortunately. Before I left on holiday we worked heavily on menus. We use Unity together with NGUI to create our GUI.

This is where you select your levels. There is some animated things in the background. All the levels is in a row. We are aiming for about a 20 levels. When we release more we need a smart way to sort the levels. (Worldmap perhaps?)

Menu_01.jpg

This is the style throughout the game menus. Any Input?

Here is a new postcard from the game. All work in progress of course... :)

Level2_Postcard.jpg

cheers!
  • cmtanko
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    LOoks interesting, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread :) ..
    Keep up the good works (Y)
  • cmtanko
    Offline / Send Message
    Level2_Postcard.jpg
    Are those pebbles a real mesh ? , Can you afford that for a mobile game ?
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    The stones are mesh, combined with a pebbled ground texture with baked directional light. Note:
    The 3d stones are synced with the under laying ground texture. So if you remove the models you have the same stones underneath. So on low devices it will still have stones but a flat versions. (The AO could be a problem...)

My Iphone5 doesnt have any problems. It is only one drawcall, no normalmap, "no overdraw". And it can push polygons pretty well. The Quality Setting will fix any issue on low performance devices.
  • cmtanko
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohh sounds great.. thanks for answering my query... Keep updating (Y)
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    Just a small update. Here is some GUI elements for items you can use in the game. It is fire bullets and the grenade as showed in previous post.

Items.jpg

Firebullets flying towards the targets! Dealing more damage, splash damage and damage over time...

Firebullet.jpg

cheers!
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    Last time was a small update, I am afraid this is a big one!!! As I wrote in our newsletter: The autumn is here and the best of it, we can spend more time inside and creating art! :poly124:

I am glad to tell, the game is done! Unfortunately only on paper. :-( We locked down all the levels and feature so NOTHING can be changed or added, right? That is really not going to happen when making games *sigh*. But one can hope and it is really good to have this document as a frame for the project. All the new cool ideas are reserved to the upcoming "patches". So for some time we went in a...

design.jpg

Here is some samples from our storyboard / level location concept. It is pretty straight forward, small thumbnails showing the angle and where the creatures should spawn. We are aiming for 20 levels for the first release. With replayability element like highscore, earning stars (Angrybird Style), XP and collect coins, hopefully it is enough.

story.jpg

Also I made a concept of how we can change the strength of the enemies without changing models or animations. They do this in all RPG games basically. My explanation is, the virus have different stages. Beginning with a infection, evolving to firing heat which burst and only ashes of a creature remains. (With thorns growing out?!) :)

stages.jpg

So now when the design phase is over, we can continue doing some game development for real! We have created two new levels in one setting, an old abandon soccer field. First one is seen from a distance, the other level is seen from the center of the field. First up is to clear the level from Undeads, afterwards when you down on the field wanting to play some ball you are overrun by those creatures.

field1.jpg

field2.jpg

A small little prop for the field. :) Really quick and dirty!
    soccerball.jpg

As a bonus, here are some ideas which didn't make it! It will perhaps come afterwards but not for the first release. I have a whole notebook with these kinds of sketches. :) The idea is that you are exploring the wasteland trough a map, with different themes on the different locations.

ideas.jpg

To wrap it up!
    I hope you all have a wonderful creative weekend! I am currently making hamburger breads while writing on polycount. It is all good! (I am at my in law parents place, we are going to celebrate my girlfriends birthday. :) )

Bread, Love & Design!

hemma.jpg

Love
    /Jenz
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    Looks like a lot of fun to make! looks great :)
  • cmtanko
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohh, how am I gonna kill those Zoombies, when they get immune to everything... Ouuuuu interesting going on.. Loved it already.. hehe Wanna playyyyy
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    Thanks Rhoutermans!

I am happy that you are following our progress cmtanko! I was smiling when I read your post. :-)
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    This is very cool man, nice work so far!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    this thread is still awewome :) subscribed!
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Great work so far, this is definitely a game to look out for!
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    Thank you so much for the support!

I have mostly made environment art during my career in the game industry. For this project I try hard to do best I can with GUI design/art, animation, character art and finally environment art. It is really fun and creative to work on other areas as well, outside my expertise. But if someone wants to unload my burden just give me a pm. :poly121:

I recently made a character study. Anatomy, proportions, skinning and so on. This is the result: The Texture is not final.

characterStudyLOD.jpg

Here is a work in progress for some motion.

http://youtu.be/1ebd5PQ5dbc
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    We are working hard on making all the levels complete. We have a good plan and we are sticking to it. Another big chunk of work is all the upgrades and different skills. We are aiming for a 2013 release!

I hope you all have a nice weekend!
    Cheers!

trapped.jpg
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    As a weekend special... :)
    I still haven't showed you how the game is played and how it looks like in action. I guess a lot of you already figured out what kind of game it is.
    I would like to show a bit of the game here.

Last Hope Flare Gun

This is a video demonstrating the basic mechanics and the use of a flare gun during a night level.

Your mission is to defend the house and tower against waves of Undead trying to get your juicy sausages!

(ps. How do you embed YouTube? I managed once by just copying the link...)
    Best Regards
  • fabio brasilien
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    This looks great! Great job so far.
    I gonna keep checking this thread.
    Nice Leonardo Zombie lol
  • HotSizzlingJaz
  • copenhagenjazz
    Offline / Send Message
    copenhagenjazz polycounter lvl 14
    Looks great Jenz! I love the flare gun. Perhaps you can tie it even more up to gameplay in the sense that you need it in order to really see the zombies - ?

Looks great with the menus and all that. Coming together nicely :)

Cant wait to play it!
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    We are happy to say, we met our Alpha goals last week and soon are soon in Beta. If anyone want to participate in our Beta testing please PM me. :-)
    (It's only for Android platform.)

l01b_2.jpg
  • stxtch
    Offline / Send Message
    stxtch polycounter lvl 5
    Wow this is looking beautiful! I really enjoy the art style :) I would love to see what you have in mind for animations - I think that could be the most challenging part of making a convincing yet stylized zombie character.

As for the environments, my only advice would be to try and fill them with a bit more low poly props, vegetation and alpha decals for terrain variation; you'd be surprised how much phones can handle these days! Even the devices that are a couple years old are very powerful. I can't wait to see more and good luck on your Beta! I would sign up right away if I had an Android :)
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    Thanks a lot stxtch! And a very delayed thanks to copenhagenjazz! Sorry, I have been very busy with this game. :-(

More is more!

I'm very split in my mind what I want in animation way. On one hand Zombies are very popular but on the other hand they are very saturated. I am somewhat taking inspiration from the Undead "race" in Warcraft. Someone or something is controlling these guys to do "evil" things... And the journey will give out breadcrumbs of clues... So right now they are a more aggressive Human like type. We don't want to compete with the Walking Dead universe for example, we want to create a more crazy, unrealistic, arcady, (colorful) world. But not without emotions...

grave.jpg
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    Wrapping up the graphics, here is some achievements you can earn in the game. By completing these, you earn Coins, XP, Items, Stars etc.

achievements.jpg
  • HotSizzlingJaz
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    Now when we have released the game we would love to know what you thinks should be added to the game! :) other weapons, different zombies, crafting, fortune wheels etc. Everything you could come up with that would help you survive the desert in Last Hope!

Because this is the place where art are born maybe you already have the best item ready to use in the game. I hope you try out our game and consider to be a part of it! We are currently working on marketing the game and soon after we are going to make it compatible with IOS.

Best regards from us at JE software!
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Something about this, it looks really cool! Love the contrast between the very LP geo and the really detailed textures.
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    [HP] wrote: »
    Something about this, it looks really cool! Love the contrast between the very LP geo and the really detailed textures.

thanks!!!
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    We are soon to be releasing a new patch for our game. A smoother experience of shooting Zombies! The navigation is also a lot more stable than before. No more spinning around and get trapped in placed. (knock on wood). After Patch 3.3 I will try to make a trailer. All these different challenges for me, haven't done any trailers before but I have a vague idea of how to go about it. Full steam ahead! I hope someone of you is testing our game. :-)

Cheers
    Jenz

Patch3.3.jpg
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    Here comes some screenshots from the game. It took a while to make the game I might add. We started out making a top down tower defense game and ultimately changed to a sniper game. So if you don't count the assets and code we already had from the "previous" project it took roughly +1 year to make the game. We were two people making the game. Me on graphics and a friend on programming. We got help with some of the icons seen in the talents menu and all the music.

We are currently making an IOS version of the game and hope to expand the universe and this game with extra everything. I hope you have enjoyed the thread and played the game. We will continue posting art from Last Hope so this is not the end, only the beginning!

Follow us att Twitter
    https://twitter.com/JESoftware

Follus us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/JeSoftware

01_Screenshot_First.png

02_Screenshot_House.png

03_Screenshot_Night.png

04_Screenshot_Field.png

06_Screenshot_Crystal.png

07_Screenshot_Levels.PNG

08_Screenshot_Talents.PNG

09_Screenshot_Items.PNG

10_Screenshot_Victory.PNG
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    Hello fellow Polycounters! We've just release patch 3.4 of the game. We have added two new challenge maps and one new bullet type. We've also done a lot of fixes & balancing.

Patch3.4.jpg

For the upcoming patch we would like to add a weapon store. Melee weapon, assualt rifles , sidearms, shotgun etc. Here is a mockup of the work in progress. (We are also looking into adding more animations to the game. More variations...)

sight.jpg
  • HotSizzlingJaz
    As we are working with the big weapons patch we are releasing smaller ones in between... We have gone back to basics and adding more variations in animations and adding new glory gory ways of killing zombies...

The upcoming patch! 3.5
    Patch3.5.jpg

The gore!
    pizza.jpg
  • VigilanteSniper
    That's great! But how will I kill the Dark evil zombies?