Home Marmoset

Toolbag 2 is on Steam! | Marmoset Toolbag 2 | News & Announcements

Replies

• EarthQuake
    ZacD wrote: »
    Has anyone else had issues with black boxes appearing at certain angles on specific parts of your mesh? It didn't apear to be caused by any particular setting, but I didn't have enough time to fully trouble-shoot the issue. I only tested one really high poly mesh and the black boxes were about 250px wide/tall and flickered.

I think that is a new one.

What hardware/os/etc?

Can you snag a screenshot of it the next time it happens, and possibly save/upload the scene?

Thanks
  • Tairow
    Offline / Send Message
    Tairow polycounter lvl 11
    Weird, in my work PC Marmoset 2 worked just fine though it always Windows show a SmartScreen screen and i need to "Run Anyway". But on my home PC it froze in a white screen, and after a few seconds froze the computer I and have to reboot. Don't know why... Tried a few reinstals but with no advance.
    Anyone know how to solve this one?

Both machines use Win8, my home PC its quite faster with a i7 and a 8GB RAM, a SSD, my GPU is a QuadroFX1800.
  • Gheromo
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Bug:

Exporting FBX 2013.3 from Maya 2012 with tangents and binormals checked causes mirrored geometry to have errors.

20131206223106827.jpeg
  • Kazperstan
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    eheheheh so SHINY! This is using textures for Old marmo, but it already lights so much nicer! Q8CcZ1C.jpg Time to learn!
  • OM3D
    Thanks and Congrast to you for this version!! :thumbup:
    It's has many useful tools.
    But I have some issue :

1:Sometimes it shows the underneath mesh's border on top!

2:It shows some sharp uvseams! Even I checked the textures in the old marmoset and I didn't see any uvseam!!

3:And some CastShados issue!

And I think the older Post-Effect-system and Sky presets were better!

Images attached!
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I think that is a new one.

What hardware/os/etc?

Can you snag a screenshot of it the next time it happens, and possibly save/upload the scene?

Thanks

Win7
    q9450
    8 gigs of ddr2
    760gtx

Error reoccured after closing and reopening Marmo2, and reloading the mesh.
    Tried disabling AO, SSR, and DoF, none of which effected it. I'll take screen shots tonight if it happens again.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    This tool has got to be the best thing that happened to game art since... normal maps! Seriously, congratulations, this is magic! And hopefully it will force game studios to push for this kind of render asap.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    i believe the self-shadowing is more prominent is this latest build.

it is mainly visible when there are meshes of different scale in relation to their bounding box. if i hide the bigger object then the smallest one doesnt seem to self shadow from the double sided faces. it is just an observation.

OV3Vxcb.gif

here is the scene file so you guys can debug it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13288045/selfShadowing.rar
  • OM3D
    I think it's better if you separate the General Undo and the Camera undo!
    Couse some times I need to zoom-back and move the light position and zoom back to the previous view and press undo to see the change's result and in the current undo-system I can't, couse it changes the views and I don't get the result completely! You can make it like maya, with or withoit hotkey!
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Stormfreek wrote: »
    I used to enable backface culling in TB1 for the inner holes of my gun:
    yisu.png

I can get away without using it :D cheers for the transparency tip, will try it out!

Not sure if anyone else has posted this yet, but a way to get around the transparency issue is to export anything that is a plane with the normals flipped to create fake double sided geometry.
    CUfgUkB.jpg
    I haven't found any issues with this method yet, other than increasing your polycount of course :shifty:

Nice job you guys, I've never played with marmoset before but color me impressed!
    bqVUcDh.png
  • MrNinjutsu
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Awesome. Congrats guys on making another awesome thing :D

e25p.png
  • CougarJo
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    I can make it work on another laptop , yes yes yes!

Fast set up , this weekend gonna be fun :D

eniy.jpg
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Alemja wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone else has posted this yet, but a way to get around the transparency issue is to export anything that is a plane with the normals flipped to create fake double sided geometry.

I haven't found any issues with this method yet, other than increasing your polycount of course :shifty:

the problem with that is sometimes it can cause self shadowing even if the duplicated faces are shifted a little. specially if the scene has larger objected that affect the shadow maps resolution.

2K6hNcN.jpg
  • Stormfreek
    nwjl.png

Sorry for the spam :( Started working on the sight glass, still looks a bit less reflective than I want and have some weird shadows going on in the inside. Again for the actual red dot in ce3 I am using a plane with an alpha texture and glow. Not sure if this is an unsuitable way to do this.

Thanks for the help! Also thanks Earthquake for the double sided tip, I never knew this (even though I really should've)!
  • Todd_Marsh
    Offline / Send Message
    Todd_Marsh polycounter lvl 7
    where is backface culling at ? cant find it !! :S
    aZHC8FP.jpg
  • womball
    Are you going to have to pay for each time its upgraded after this? Like say I buy the upgrade now, will i have to buy another upgrade next time its upgraded?
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Firstly, I love it, so so good, really digging the scene management and the fact it actually maintains materials :D

Some TB2 testing now that I've woke up :3

A4J2Pp3.jpg
    yUBJAuc.jpg

Some feedback/things I've ran into :D Some of this might already be stated but I'll reiterate my longing for them anyway :3
    * Would be nice to scale items
    * An orb/sphere radius indicator for lights would be nice (like in TB1)
    * Disable Light Gizmo's (maybe I've missed this but was unable to get rid of them)
    * Enable world space movement for lights
    * Globally disable Mip maps option
    * 2 sided mats
    * Reimplement light functions :3
    * Reimplement some render options (ie View AO only, Anisotropy Direction etc...) as well as chromatic abberation

Bugs
    * When enabling local reflections the Alpha channel in captured images has black spots and smears in it
    * Sometimes when selecting a map option and disabling mip maps the software crashes
    * I'm getting the issue where the outline of eyes shows through other geometry
    * When using bloom or depth of field with a captured image the alpha I get is unusable and the DoF and Bloom is very messy, with Transparency disabled the image is fine

That's everything that comes to mind with the little time I had to play tonight.

Closing comment... The software is awesome guys, really really good, the image quality is great and for now it negates the need for me to touch an engine to preview work. Thanks a great deal and keep up the awesome work :D
  • monster.insane
    Offline / Send Message
    monster.insane polycounter lvl 3
    Hello! This is my quick render test!
    NOTE: THIS MODEL,TEXTURE,.... IS NOT MADE BY ME! it's from project's folder of an Eat3D tutorial!. I just try to render it in new MT2 :D
    pBN.jpg
    Another side:
    LCN.jpg
    Hope you like the result lol
  • Luke_Starkie
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    Sick! ^

Quick sculpt of an old man to test the Highpoly shiz, sooo gooooood

Vv42p0.jpg
  • bcottage
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    Quick stone floor test before bed :D

uP8Gttg.jpg
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Yeah, there appears to be a bug here, it seems its mostly affected by dynamic lights. Are you seeing clipping w/o dynamic lights?
    Doesn't appear so, although Skylights also seem to make a difference.

Another small bug:

Setting the default output folder to a folder with spaces in the name gets truncated when opening toolbag again. So for example ...\Toolbag 2 Output\ works until the next session, where the output will be ...\Toolbag\ (and if the folder doesn't exist it isn't created).

Camera DOF seems a little touchy with Additive transparency; for example on my Kobra sight the lefthand red dash was highly blurred while the right dash was in focus. I had to fiddle around with the camera position a little for it to appear correct (DOF was off in the screenshot I uploaded on page6).

Also not sure if this is intentional but when you select "Match viewport" in render output settings, if the UI is opened the render output won't account for that area.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Is there a way to mask the secondary reflection? I love the look of the newton rings, but it looks out of place on anything but metal.
  • darknessbear
    Yay, it is here! Everyone stuff looks great and I love the new rendering engine.

I'm just really confused why it is missing so many obvious features that I'd use on a regular basis. No backface culling being the biggest thing... can't disable lights in viewport? No HDRI Shadows?

Is there no option to use 32bit height/gloss information from your Normal/Spec (like marm1)?

Just kind of odd that you pay for something that is not as feature complete as Marmoset 1. But I really am enjoying the new features! I hope they will be added soon.
    Todd_Marsh wrote: »
    aZHC8FP.jpg

Your rifle looks awesome in this Todd! And no backface culling... :(
  • EarthQuake
    I am a nerd and spend my free time making models of lens elements.

glass01.gif
  • monster.insane
    Offline / Send Message
    I am a nerd and spend my free time making models of lens elements.

Yeah! and the Complex Refraction too Sir? :poly136:
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Here's the black box glitch, they flicker as you move the camera.

YYSfbWa.jpg
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12
    It's really impressive how easy you can achieve nice results :)

QI8413d.jpg
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Really loving it so far! The self-occlusion and new light placement are definitely my favorite features right now.

Like everyone else, I decided to play around with some older models

vWM3KCk.jpg
    MqAYyWd.jpg

Also quick question Joe, do you guys plan on being at GDC again? I know Marmoset didn't have a booth last time, but still hung out around the Expo floor.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    hey whats the image gotta be like to bring in your own aperture shape?

right now im bringing in a black and white image (white is the shape, black the filler space(similar to alphas etc)) but im getting some strange artefacts.

btw, its totally awesome this!
  • Mik2121
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    I just bought a license! I've been playing around with this for a bit trying to see how the shaders work compared to UE4.

I noticed that the Reflectivity parameter reacts the same as the Metallic in UE4, but the Gloss Map is sorta the opposite of the Roughness in UE4, where a a light color would mean it's rough (like rubber) and dark color mean it's very smooth (like shinny plastic). In Marmoset2 it seems like white is smooth and black rough, but I did an "Invert" of my test texture and it still didn't look like it does in UE4.

Here are my test textures:

3a7ckIr.png
    Albedo

F2yXJxt.png
    Metallic (Reflectivity)

9ihWx9b.png
    Roughness (Gloss)

Oh! I just noticed that if I turn sRGB on the Gloss (roughness), it looks the same as UE4 (except, again, I have to invert the results). Sweet! My head was starting to hurt, thinking I would need to do more than just inverting the image.

As for Marmoset 2 itself... amazing! Everything looks so pretty, hahaha!
    One thing though... it'd be great if we could have the Reflectivity option also have a menu to select just one RGB channel like Gloss does.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Bek wrote: »

Actually scratch that; I loaded a high-poly into a new scene with no lights and there's still some strangeness going on. The slide has decent thickness but the mesh behind it still shows through at a lot of angles. They're the small horizontal lines in this image.

screenshot021.png

Running amd 7870 with latest beta drivers... which might be the issue.

edit: a better angle
  • Stormfreek
    Actually scratch that; I loaded a high-poly into a new scene with no lights and there's still some strangeness going on. The slide has decent thickness but the mesh behind it still shows through at a lot of angles. They're the small horizontal lines in this image.

screenshot021.png

Running amd 7870 with latest beta drivers... which might be the issue.

edit: a better angle

I get this as well, for shots I usually just move around till it works...

Running an AMD 7850 with latest beta drivers.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    loving it so far
    n8yqCi2.png
  • tadpole3159
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    Hi, I've got a question about the materials in marmoset 2.

I've got this project at work, were making a game and using vray to render light maps. Since both marmoset and vray use a physically accurate workflow would I be able to make my textures and materials in marmoset and simply copy across my settings for use in vray for light mapping?
  • EarthQuake
    Yeah! and the Complex Refraction too Sir? :poly136:

Sorry to disappoint, this is regular old additive blending which you can do in the current build. :)

When the refraction shader in it probably won't be suitable for things like this (very complicated meshes with many overlapping pieces), refraction needs to be rendered at the very end of the frame so complex overlaps are probably going to cause sorting issues.
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Okay 5th time lucky for asking this question:

Why cannot we buy Marmoset 1 anymore :((
  • [Deleted User]
    This looks great - it sounds like it uses the new PBL method, so you would need to make textures (albedo etc) accordingly, right?

If so, I'm wondering how this affects the appearance in game engines like UDK. Would you need to make a different set of textures for it to be compatible there? I'm a little confused about the workflow from testing in marmoset to moving into UDK.
  • monster.insane
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to disappoint, this is regular old additive blending which you can do in the current build. :)

When the refraction shader in it probably won't be suitable for things like this (very complicated meshes with many overlapping pieces), refraction needs to be rendered at the very end of the frame so complex overlaps are probably going to cause sorting issues.

yea, so how do i make a glass material like the "wet shell" of the eyes that you've show us in old thread? need use transparency map? :\
  • EarthQuake
    Robeomega wrote: »
    Okay 5th time lucky for asking this question:

Why cannot we buy Marmoset 1 anymore :((

Toolbag 1 will continue to function for existing licenses, however we are no longer offering it for sale. We will continue to provide support to our existing users, and we will likely release updates if catastrophic issues arise (crashing with new video cards/drivers), however Toolbag 1 is no longer in development.

Toolbag 2 is going to receive all of our development attention from here on out, all new features and bug fixes will be focused on Toolbag 2 (which will be released in free updates). We view Toolbag 2 as a vastly improved product, that represents the current state of the games industry much better. As such, we are no longer comfortable selling Toolbag 1.

Try the TB2 trial if you haven't yet, you may just like it!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Also noticed that hiding/unhiding the UI affects the lighting or something on the mesh o.O

The change is very minimal, but thought I'd post it anyway just in case.
  • EarthQuake
    yea, so how do i make a glass material like the "wet shell" of the eyes that you've show us in old thread? need use transparency map? :\

Check the first post in this thread, there is a link to a TB2 scene file and all the source files for the eyes.

Here's a link to that lens scene as well: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/499159/lens01.zip

Setting up adaptive blending is really easy, you pretty much just set up your reflectivity settings how you want and then turn additive blending on in the transparency section. For glassy materials you do not want to have the diffuse contribute, so leave "Include Diffuse" off, or use a very dark albedo color.

You will need to have a separate material and object/chunk for anything that you want to use additive blending on, as it will affect everything the material is applied to.
  • Broetchaen
    I love the new marmoset so far! The new sky system is so powerful, yet so easy to use.

dceLJlJ.jpg
    It's so shiny :D (WIP)
  • EarthQuake
    MM wrote: »
    screen space reflection seems to be causing problems with screenshot masks.

also, when i save out PSD with transparency, photoshop CC crashes while opening it.

Both of these are known bugs that we just haven’t had the time to fix, thanks for documenting them though!
    --E-- wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply EarthQuake.
    Sorry I wasn't very clear on what I meant by this. It's a small thing, but I really like the way in Marmoset 1 where you can hold down ctrl+left click and rotate the model one way inside of the circle that pops up and then another way outside of the circle that pops up. here is an image of the circle that I'm talking about.

No problem. I see what you mean, the Modo/Lightwave style camera roll/trackball thing. Here I thought I was the only person that liked this. If there is enough interest we’ll look into adding this back it.
    I think I may have found another issue/bug/missing functionality.

It would be nice if the child lights that you create with sky light presets are saved with each sky light .tbsky file. Currently they do not save/load properly when you load a saved .tbsky file.

I also forgot to mention how nice it is to be able to hide objects in the scene. Makes working much much easier! GREAT JOB!

Right, currently child lights do not save into light presets, this is a feature we may add in the future (I certainly want it as well).
    I'm sure this question has been asked but how do you make a mesh double sided? Great work guys!! Gonna purchase this weekend. :)
    Todd_Marsh wrote: »

Sorry, double sided materials are not supported yet, this feature will be added in an update at some point.

You will have to manually duplicate and flip any faces that you want to be double sided for now.
    One thing I am getting is this :

Some sort of artifacts, mostly around the eyes.

Geforce GTX 460

It seems like most people are getting this issue then regardless of the hardware. Thanks for letting us know.
    stevston89 wrote: »
    Ran into a bug. For some reason the backfacing geo is casting shadows on the front facing geo, but only when a light is placed with cast shadows. The area at the bottom of the dress has manually created backfacing. Don't know if it is my GPU. I am using a a Radeon 6950.

We’ll look into this, thanks.
    Tairow wrote: »
    Weird, in my work PC Marmoset 2 worked just fine though it always Windows show a SmartScreen screen and i need to "Run Anyway". But on my home PC it froze in a white screen, and after a few seconds froze the computer I and have to reboot. Don't know why... Tried a few reinstals but with no advance.
    Anyone know how to solve this one?

Both machines use Win8, my home PC its quite faster with a i7 and a 8GB RAM, a SSD, my GPU is a QuadroFX1800.

We’ve got some driver issues cause freezes, it looks like with older GPUs and also quadros. We’re working on a hotfix ATM but its proving difficult to nail down the exact cause. If you have something like an Nvidia 5** series geforce card that you can swap in, try that.
    Gheromo wrote: »
    Bug:

Exporting FBX 2013.3 from Maya 2012 with tangents and binormals checked causes mirrored geometry to have errors.

Interesting, does it happen with OBJ too?
    OM3D wrote: »
    Thanks and Congrast to you for this version!! :thumbup:
    It's has many useful tools.
    But I have some issue :

1:Sometimes it shows the underneath mesh's border on top!

2:It shows some sharp uvseams! Even I checked the textures in the old marmoset and I didn't see any uvseam!!

3:And some CastShados issue!

And I think the older Post-Effect-system and Sky presets were better!

Images attached!

Thanks, we’ll look into this.

For the UV seam issues, make sure you’ve got the correct tangent space loaded, in the mesh properties (you can set a global default in the preferences window that is applied to all meshes on import too).

If that doesn’t help, try the Flip Y option in the normal map slot.

If that doesn’t help, upload your OBJ file and normal map and I will take a look at it.
    [HP] wrote: »
    This tool has got to be the best thing that happened to game art since... normal maps! Seriously, congratulations, this is magic! And hopefully it will force game studios to push for this kind of render asap.

:)
    MM wrote: »
    i believe the self-shadowing is more prominent is this latest build.

it is mainly visible when there are meshes of different scale in relation to their bounding box. if i hide the bigger object then the smallest one doesnt seem to self shadow from the double sided faces. it is just an observation.

here is the scene file so you guys can debug it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13288045/selfShadowing.rar

Thanks again for the thorough research and documentation.
    OM3D wrote: »
    I think it's better if you separate the General Undo and the Camera undo!
    Couse some times I need to zoom-back and move the light position and zoom back to the previous view and press undo to see the change's result and in the current undo-system I can't, couse it changes the views and I don't get the result completely! You can make it like maya, with or withoit hotkey!

This is tricky and not as simple as you would imagine. In Toolbag, camera functions really do need to be undoable, as setting up specific camera angles is important.

Perhaps we could add some sort of “working” camera object that does not log undos, that works like the more traditional 3d app camera.
    womball wrote: »
    Are you going to have to pay for each time its upgraded after this? Like say I buy the upgrade now, will i have to buy another upgrade next time its upgraded?

We are planning on releasing free updates as features get added to Toolbag 2. For reference Toolbag 1 received free updates for a few years. While I can’t give you an exact time frame, I can tell you that we are not planning to release paid updates every year.

We do not consider the current release of TB2 to be “feature complete”, there are still many, many cool things we plan on adding, which will come in periodic *free* updates.
    Optinium wrote: »
    Firstly, I love it, so so good, really digging the scene management and the fact it actually maintains materials :D

Some TB2 testing now that I've woke up :3

Some feedback/things I've ran into :D Some of this might already be stated but I'll reiterate my longing for them anyway :3
    * Would be nice to scale items
    * An orb/sphere radius indicator for lights would be nice (like in TB1)
    * Disable Light Gizmo's (maybe I've missed this but was unable to get rid of them)
    * Enable world space movement for lights
    * Globally disable Mip maps option
    * 2 sided mats
    * Reimplement light functions :3
    * Reimplement some render options (ie View AO only, Anisotropy Direction etc...) as well as chromatic abberation

Bugs
    * When enabling local reflections the Alpha channel in captured images has black spots and smears in it
    * Sometimes when selecting a map option and disabling mip maps the software crashes
    * I'm getting the issue where the outline of eyes shows through other geometry
    * When using bloom or depth of field with a captured image the alpha I get is unusable and the DoF and Bloom is very messy, with Transparency disabled the image is fine

That's everything that comes to mind with the little time I had to play tonight.

Closing comment... The software is awesome guys, really really good, the image quality is great and for now it negates the need for me to touch an engine to preview work. Thanks a great deal and keep up the awesome work :D

Thanks for the feedback!

Another small bug:

Setting the default output folder to a folder with spaces in the name gets truncated when opening toolbag again. So for example ...\Toolbag 2 Output\ works until the next session, where the output will be ...\Toolbag\ (and if the folder doesn't exist it isn't created).

Camera DOF seems a little touchy with Additive transparency; for example on my Kobra sight the lefthand red dash was highly blurred while the right dash was in focus. I had to fiddle around with the camera position a little for it to appear correct (DOF was off in the screenshot I uploaded on page6).

Also not sure if this is intentional but when you select "Match viewport" in render output settings, if the UI is opened the render output won't account for that area.

Thanks, I’ll look into these and get them logged.

The add/DOF bug is a known issue, we caught it right before we we’re finishing up the release candidate but didn’t get a chance to fix it.
    Joopson wrote: »
    Is there a way to mask the secondary reflection? I love the look of the newton rings, but it looks out of place on anything but metal.

Not currently, secondary reflection is only affected by your primary spec/gloss map.

The only way you can control it is to create a separate material and apply that to the chunks that you want it to show up on.
  • Todd_Marsh
    Offline / Send Message
    Todd_Marsh polycounter lvl 7

thanks lucas ! major sad face about the backface culling !!
  • EarthQuake
    Yay, it is here! Everyone stuff looks great and I love the new rendering engine.

I'm just really confused why it is missing so many obvious features that I'd use on a regular basis. No backface culling being the biggest thing... can't disable lights in viewport? No HDRI Shadows?

Is there no option to use 32bit height/gloss information from your Normal/Spec (like marm1)?

Just kind of odd that you pay for something that is not as feature complete as Marmoset 1. But I really am enjoying the new features! I hope they will be added soon.

Unfortunately there are still a few minor features that haven't been added back in. Toolbag 2 is a complete re-write, so everything has to be writen from scratch. While TB2 is not "feature complete" (and probably never will be, there will always be cool new stuff we want to add) we feel that in its current state it is a much better, and more usable app than Toolbag 1, that is both easier to use, more flexible and capable of considerably higher image quality. The initial release of Toolbag 2 is just the beginning, we plan on releasing many free updates in the future.

Now, to your specific points:

Double sided: Sorry, just not in yet, will come in an update.

Light visibility can be toggled, just not the icon/gui elements (will likely come in an update as well).

The sky-lighting system has been totally redone, it is much more flexible and easier to use now. Shadow direction is no longer baked into the individual sky presets, this was very convoluted to make sky content for, and once it was created there was no way to edit it, if you wanted to make any sort of change you needed to start from scratch.

Sky creation is much easier now, select one of the presets, or load you own panoramic image (very easy, just load the file, no processing or complicated setup). Now, from the sky light object properties, click any point in the sky preview box and it will create a directional light, based on the color/intensity of the point you click. This light will cast shadows and is linked up to the sky system, you can move the light around in the light preview box which will update its direction and color/intensity. You can add as many lights as you want (though many lights will run slow on older hardware).

You can load image content from alpha channels for many slots, like gloss or height maps. What you want to do is load the base image into the slot, and then from the channel selector pick A, this will pull the content from the alpha channel. This way we can support content from explicit images or taken from R, G, B or A channels, which is more flexible for people who have their content set up in different ways.
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Not completely sure what's going on here.

-The glass in 1 mesh: works fine (not in the screenshot)

-Detaching the glass to use the "add" transparancy: I get this sort of 8 sided reflection with "local reflections" on. (left side on the image, right is with it off).
    Glass itself, and the cylinders around it, have atleast 12+ sides.

oswosg.jpg
  • YoungDeveloper
    Amazing tool, great renders, will buy it.

If i have a single mesh, but different polygons have different materials assigned, can i add materials in this tool according to what they are made in 3ds max, even if it is a single mesh ? Because if i add a material it will be placed on all faces, or the only way is to separate those parts as different objects?
  • EarthQuake
    hey whats the image gotta be like to bring in your own aperture shape?

right now im bringing in a black and white image (white is the shape, black the filler space(similar to alphas etc)) but im getting some strange artefacts.

btw, its totally awesome this!

The aperture shape needs to be in the RGB channels and also the Alpha channel. Try that and let me know if it works.
    Mik2121 wrote: »
    I just bought a license! I've been playing around with this for a bit trying to see how the shaders work compared to UE4.

I noticed that the Reflectivity parameter reacts the same as the Metallic in UE4, but the Gloss Map is sorta the opposite of the Roughness in UE4, where a a light color would mean it's rough (like rubber) and dark color mean it's very smooth (like shinny plastic). In Marmoset2 it seems like white is smooth and black rough, but I did an "Invert" of my test texture and it still didn't look like it does in UE4.

Here are my test textures:

Albedo

Metallic (Reflectivity)

Roughness (Gloss)

Oh! I just noticed that if I turn sRGB on the Gloss (roughness), it looks the same as UE4 (except, again, I have to invert the results). Sweet! My head was starting to hurt, thinking I would need to do more than just inverting the image.

As for Marmoset 2 itself... amazing! Everything looks so pretty, hahaha!
    One thing though... it'd be great if we could have the Reflectivity option also have a menu to select just one RGB channel like Gloss does.

You can use the invert tick in the gloss box to invert (so you don't have to invert the actual content). This will give you results closer to to the black = glossy, white = rough scale that they use. Unfortunately we do not know the exact math that Epic uses to calculate roughness, so there may be some minor variance.
    Hi, I've got a question about the materials in marmoset 2.

I've got this project at work, were making a game and using vray to render light maps. Since both marmoset and vray use a physically accurate workflow would I be able to make my textures and materials in marmoset and simply copy across my settings for use in vray for light mapping?

Likely not, we have not set up Toolbag to specifically emulate what Vray does in terms of settings. Physical accuracy is more of a broad concept than a specific set of rules that everyone follows. Implementations tend to vary, though many of the concepts will likely be similar.
    Yuze wrote: »
    This looks great - it sounds like it uses the new PBL method, so you would need to make textures (albedo etc) accordingly, right?

If so, I'm wondering how this affects the appearance in game engines like UDK. Would you need to make a different set of textures for it to be compatible there? I'm a little confused about the workflow from testing in marmoset to moving into UDK.

TB2 is very flexible, if you want, you can set it up to render very similar to how Toolbag 1 worked. If you load a diffuse texture with baked in AO, standard gloss/spec maps and turn off energy conservation you’ll get a similar look to TB1.

If you load an albedo map, an AO map separately, gloss/roughness, spec/metalness map and keep energy conservation on, you’ll get results more like UE4.
    Amazing tool, great renders, will buy it.

If i have a single mesh, but different polygons have different materials assigned, can i add materials in this tool according to what they are made in 3ds max, even if it is a single mesh ? Because if i add a material it will be placed on all faces, or the only way is to separate those parts as different objects?

Currently material IDs/sub-object material assignments are not supported, this is on our todo list though.
    And another one, how to enable transparency for texture with alpha, thanks.

Click the little arrows on the transparency module in the material editor to add a transparency method. Currently supported:
    Dithered: Order independing dithered alpha, good for hair and mostly solid objects that need fuzzy edges, looks noisy in viewport but renders out better.
    Cutout: basic alphatest
    Add: Additive blending, can be used just for additive specular, which is useful for shells on eyes, simple glass, etc.
  • EarthQuake
    joeriv wrote: »
    Not completely sure what's going on here.

-The glass in 1 mesh: works fine (not in the screenshot)

-Detaching the glass to use the "add" transparancy: I get this sort of 8 sided reflection with "local reflections" on. (left side on the image, right is with it off).
    Glass itself, and the cylinders around it, have atleast 12+ sides.

Interesting, can you can me an obj of this + your textures so I can try it out?
  • Gheromo
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Interesting, does it happen with OBJ too?

OBJ and FBX are fine without that option ticked.