Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Tvidotto wrote: »

KE5cI0n.jpg
    Oh man, Legion Commander is looking awesome!
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Would someone care to show 3DS Max's version of material properties that would replicate Dota 2's visual appearance using the Slate Material Editor? This is what I could achieve in max:

Ft430iD.png

I know there is a Dota 2 Direct X Shader for this purpose, I'm just curious how it would be put together in max as a material.
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    @fonfa - going really good this one sir!

---
    hey guys, its being a long time i dont post a project here. iwas doing a set for phantom assassin these days, i streamed the beggining of the process but in the end i was getting a lot tired so i decided to stop streaming

its not finished yet but i hope its close to it

it have 8 or 9 new animations, i planned to do all of them but some of the fits nice with the different kind of the weapon.

in the video its missing some diferent run cycles, the hasted one and the injuried

the weapon can also be used with the default animations, but i prefer the 2 handed style

any feedback will be appreciated
    i hope you guys like it

KE5cI0n.jpg

47IVbCN.jpg

in game

With those last hits, Na`vi.Tvidotto is just a dream :( haha looks amazing man love the idea!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    MdK wrote: »
    Awesome work TVidotto! Simply great.
    ty!
    kendmd wrote: »
    I think it's awesome, but the set changes her silhouette and stance A LOT, which might not be a good idea since the game relies heavily on those two for hero recognition.
    i agree with you, i tried to make the animations give the same feeling of the default one to try to minimize the diferences
    Oh man, Legion Commander is looking awesome!

hahaha maybe i should change the cape into 2 flags
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt wrote: »
    With those last hits, Na`vi.Tvidotto is just a dream :( haha looks amazing man love the idea!

I KNEW iT! when i missed that last hit i though "someone is going to notice how noob i am, maybe i should record again"

and never recorded again...

and thanks! =]
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Btw I freaking love the textures of the breastplate and head piece thing. They look superb.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10

it have 8 or 9 new animations, i planned to do all of them but some of the fits nice with the different kind of the weapon.

in the video its missing some diferent run cycles, the hasted one and the injuried

the weapon can also be used with the default animations, but i prefer the 2 handed style

i hope you guys like it

KE5cI0n.jpg

47IVbCN.jpg

The phantom reaper!

Edit: also you should tone down the shine. I feel like there is too much contrast due to the shine. And maybe desaturate the armor until the saturation is closer towards the chest plate.
  • fx01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tvidotto

awesome ! i really hope valve adds that .. the 0815 weapon styles are so fucking boring
  • Godzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    WIP orb of venom:

[SKETCHFAB]f299770280364702a16055d4a3f340c8[/SKETCHFAB]
    1i3k2a5.png

its not 1:1 with the icon but the changes i made were to give it a more solid look.
    It's gonna be part of a bristleback flail to go along with the medallion that we finished yesterday
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    lookin' good TV! Only thing is it seems the spec on the cape/hair is a bit strong perhaps?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The phantom reaper!

Edit: also you should tone down the shine. I feel like there is too much contrast due to the shine. And maybe desaturate the armor until the saturation is closer towards the chest plate.
    bounchfx wrote: »
    lookin' good TV! Only thing is it seems the spec on the cape/hair is a bit strong perhaps?

awesome suggestion guys, going to tone the specular down

i think i got too much time watching the in game test that i got used i didnt notice all the shine, now it bothers me =]
  • mshadows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto
    Can u create some WD's sets or items. It could be great to see new WD's items. Thx :poly121:
  • Oroboros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The idea is awesome TviDotto, like others have mentioned though I wonder if changing the stance altogether might result in confusion. If this works though it could definitely inspire people to experiment with new weapon types for heroes. That would be really cool.
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mshadows wrote: »
    Tvidotto
    Can u create some WD's sets or items. It could be great to see new WD's items. Thx :poly121:

Im busy creating WD items right now ... Let T_vidotto do his job of being awesome ! :D

btw, the PA reaper is a superb idea, but i think its a but too far into silhouette change. As a dota 2 player, i doubt that i would recognize "that hero" if i suddenly saw her in the game.

EDIT: Is the technical requirements page malfunctioning for you guys too ? there are no names for heroes and their pages are in-accessible. Can anyone confirm ?
  • Godzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    just a quick update before i go to sleep:

xsaqQTC.png

hopefully i'll get the sculpt done tomorrow
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    @fonfa - going really good this one sir!

---
    hey guys, its being a long time i dont post a project here. iwas doing a set for phantom assassin these days, i streamed the beggining of the process but in the end i was getting a lot tired so i decided to stop streaming

i hope you guys like it

That headpiece is soooo pretttyyyy! Great work! From what I can see I think she still looks sufficiently like PA, but I'd need to see more footage to decide I think.
  • qassamzed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qassamzed polycounter lvl 6

i hope you guys like it
    awesome
    @.@ next level phantom assassin and also remind me with anuxi set style

not fan of her head coz she looks too pretty for a badaas scythe assassin

hope she has custom awesome attack animation when she proc the 1000 dmg crit
  • K-PAX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K-PAX polycounter lvl 7
    Tvidotto

I really love the headpiece~ amazing
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your idea is cool, TVidotto. Not sure about the blade but the head is awesome.

Want to show you some wips for my beastmaster set. What do you think about head? Any thouths, suggestions and critics are very welcome. Trying to make some brutal viking out of this guy, but to keep him on the light side.
    k50lwHO.jpg
  • Godzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    Uliss wrote: »
    Your idea is cool, TVidotto. Not sure about the blade but the head is awesome.

Want to show you some wips for my beastmaster set. What do you think about head? Any thouths, suggestions and critics are very welcome. Trying to make some brutal viking out of this guy, but to keep him on the light side.
    k50lwHO.jpg

i'd go with #2
  • Tyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyn polycounter lvl 10
    It's like a dovahkiin beastmaster. Looks great! I would personally go with 3.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i would remove the horns and go with 4 :)
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah... honestly if you go with that helmet/horn design you're going to get bombarded on the workshop with skyrim copyright rage. That design is iconic to Skyrim, and its the first thing pretty much anyone is going to think of.
  • alexxrafael
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uliss wrote: »
    k50lwHO.jpg

Nice, if everybody is complaining about the horns, maybe change the angle? Face it back or to the sky?

Reworking my old item and practicing my sculpting. What do you think?
    I know most of the detail will be lost importing, but I need to practice :)

4jydP3K.png
  • miguelfanclub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, need some critics about the last weapon I'm anbout to finish:

57TVd
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys )
    I think i am gonna to publish this stuff to reddit or something to see some more statistics and check the Skyrim aspect. Never seen skyrim so, i dont wanna to make same mistake like in Anuwrath set for PL (people compared that to LOL hero, game I never seen for that moment).
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    @ Uliss: The model is coming great! I really like your sculpting.
    About Skyrim, if you go with helmet 1 or 4 you're not gonna have any problem in my opinion, 2 and 3 could be too near though.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Uliss I would also suggest changing the angle of the horns if you're concerned with the helmet looking too much like the Skyrim one.

Finished my Disruptor Beard
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=191947012&searchtext=
    disruptor_beard_thumb.jpg
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @Uliss:

Or just embrace it and add a 'Fus Roh Dah' pack to his ulti :P

In all seriousness though, I think the problem is not with the horns, it's more about the general desing of the helmet.

Upon seeing your set, I immediatly remembered this character in the TES: Online trailer.

I know that that kind of helmet design isn't Bethesda's property at all, but it's heavily associated with their games now after Skyrim. Even on my Sven set I got a lot of comments saying that, just because it has a pelt and a nordic visor.

My 2¢ would be that you only need to change either the helmet's visor, the cheekguards or the horns.

Perhaps do something more celtic looking?

Anyway, the set is looking beastly (no pun intended). Hope this go well :)
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I'll play around the helm some more.
  • Starmony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I just wanted to give a shout-out to a lot of the artists who helped me with questions that I had. I understand that there are a lot of people trying to make a living off of this and it would probably be in their best interests to have less competition.

But so far EVERYONE that I have talked to and asked advice from have been amazingly welcoming and genuinely interested in helping out.

As someone who started modeling last year and sees this as a hobby I just wanted to thank you experts.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bJVRVOY.png

Update on my slark dagger, comments please.
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Weak promo. You should choose another foreshortening, or make orb behind the head less brighter

Oh, thank you so much for the feedback! :)
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    tumblr_mvr41bh6Dg1r43xj0o1_500.png
    some more stuff to go along with that arm brace
  • Sumers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sumers polycounter lvl 10
    finished weapon for bs
    DT9w.jpg
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again, guys.
    I have redesigned helm piece, to make visor not so reminding about Skyrim. Please check it out.
    And also, i also mentioned that this set is missing for some eye-catching thing, so I desided to add a huge skull on his back. Not sure about how to get all this shoulders piece into 300tris but I want to try. What do you think about it. Comments are very welcome.
    Thanks.
    cDcjggX.jpg
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Not really a fan of the ones covering his mouth (2 and 3), but 4 and 1 both look really good! Specially those tusks on 4, they really fit with the hero.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I think number 1 is my personal favourite.
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
    The face plates on 2 and 3 make him look like a foot soldier(from ninja turtles) and aren't helping him look like he's on the light side imo. I like the negative space you created with the interior of #5 and the vertical war paint from #1. #4 might be the safest bet since most of his face isn't hidden behind visors like the others.
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah number 1 is really good, but I do think that the buffalo skull on his back needs to be smaller, I think those horns will break his silhouette.
  • Razia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razia polycounter lvl 3
    HI guys, Can someone please explain to me in terms of dota 2 items what mirroring is and why I'd use it. I've read up on it but cant seem to grasp the concept. I believe you guys would be far better at explaining it in context than a random site with a different purpose.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Razia, mirroring for Dota items is the same for any other modeling. The reason why people heavily advocate its use for Dota items is because it saves UV space and can give a better looking texture since you only UV half the mesh. Since Dota textures are small, you really need to know how to maximize your UV space
  • alexxrafael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uliss i really love masks but the mask does not hinder the roar?

The horns on shoulders are too big and broke the silhouette. Probably you need resize them.

Keep posting, i'm liking your ideas. :)
  • toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toby.rutter polycounter lvl 7
    HI everyone, I've been doing some more work on my Templar Assassin set, theres a couple more areas I need to sculpt some detail (like the hair clasp) but for the most part the high res is done. I wanted to start experimenting with different colour schemes, which is why I have a couple of different things going on with the model. Would be great to hear what people think works.

TA.jpg
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Nice progress Toby, but i would go with some more color on the face mask...that medium gray kinda feels off a bit...i would go with the darker color you used in the shoulder pieces
  • ultimatec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished weapon for Slardar, hope you like it ^^
    IzcTfct.jpg

Link Workshop
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for comments, guys. Thats realy helpfull. I think i'll make 1st or 4th variant of the helm and see what will be cooler in 3D. And yea, horns must be reworked.

@Ultimatec:
    I remember something like that in earlier worshop submissions.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    ultimatec wrote: »
    Finished weapon for Slardar, hope you like it ^^
    IzcTfct.jpg

Link Workshop

hey ultimatic, i totaly love ur item! this is exactly the itemstyle that i like :)
    BUT i think the preview pic is rly terrible (all other pics inside the workshop
    are good) - so maybe u should anyhow remake that.
    good luck with it!
  • miguelfanclub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, I ned help. Its crazy but its happening. Its weird and im geting out of my nerves.

Today I was working on my model, just opened same maya file that worked yesterday and today it doesnt. It exports correctly but one of the part of the model is missing (both of the "belts").

I have checked everything:

- normals are fine (smoothing groups), they are not inverted or something
    - the whole thing has the same material
    - I have reexport it from zero in MAX checking normals again there: same
    - export geometry to OBJ, re import again and do weights again in MAaya: same, belts are missing.
    - I have deleted all the temp files inside DOTA folder: same

Maya screenshots (this file was working yesterday!!!!)

59S9s

DOTA

59PY6

The proof that it was working (right screenshots)

536Jn

Am I missing something?

Thanks.