Home Technical Talk

portfolios with in-game engine assets

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
repete polycounter lvl 6
Hello all

Can anyone link me to some portfolios with examples of assets that are "in game", the engine is not important btw.

Cheers

pete

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    repete wrote: »
    Hello all

Can anyone link me to some portfolios with examples of assets that are "in game", the engine is not important btw.

Cheers

pete

anthony vaccaro (autocon) is a portfolio that springs to mind:

http://wireframeworlds.com/index.html

and most of the images in my portfolio are screenshots from a game engine

http://dankeating.wordpress.com/
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks a lot sprunghunt

I have been looking for a while now but most porto's are based on marmoset & dDo.

cheers

PS Your work is really cool btw, very tight :thumbup:
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Marmoset is a game engine though o.O
    And dDo uses unity with marmoset skyshop if I am not wrong.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Also the majority of what I see on portfolios is udk and cryengine 3. Pretty much only see tool bag used for character portfolios or for showing individual props, not whole envirments.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Marmoset definitely isn't ideal for full enviroments. And although I don't think Marmoset itself is used by any video game, there's many games that use the same tech and similar lighting models.
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Marmoset is not a game engine, UDK, Cryengine and Unity are game engines.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Marmoset uses the same lighting tech as other engines, even if it's not a "real" game engine, it will give results similar to other engine people might not have access to for portfolio projects.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    From what I think, marmoset started it's life as the game engine for darkest of days.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkest_of_Days

It's more aimed at presentation instead of game development, but it still shares a lot with complete game engines.
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Yes it has a game engine render so it is good for presentation but I have been looking for portfolios with finished assets in game, so I can see how they are presented. I can't find any apart from what sprunghunt posted.
    From what I think, marmoset started it's life as the game engine for darkest of days.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkest_of_Days

It's more aimed at presentation instead of game development, but it still shares a lot with complete game engines.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Are you talking about presentation for whole envirments or for just individual assets.

Since for individual assets I would just make a simple scene and a 3 point lighting setup.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    The two scenes I got in my portfolio is done in udk, but for a single asset as passerby said, I would not take the time to do the setup in udk, unity or cryengine since marmoset toolbag fills that gap so perfectly.
    In the end it's all the same technology so it does not really matter.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Yes it has a game engine render so it is good for presentation but I have been looking for portfolios with finished assets in game, so I can see how they are presented. I can't find any apart from what sprunghunt posted.

that kind of distinction is ridiculous.

models being shown in UDK are no different to those being shown in Marmoset. you have to do all the same things in both cases. Marmoset just had the game part stripped out, it's still the same core engine and renderer.

i mean what exactly do you think the difference is? that you could show something in motion in a "game engine"? marmoset does that too! in fact with the exception of particles i can't think of anything marmoset couldn't do, from an art standpoint.
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    For christ sake come on guys, I just asked for examples of portfolios that have in game presentations. Marmoset & dDo are fine (I own both) and each to his own but it's not what I was looking for.

The whole reasoning behind the question is simple: This is what I can do with UDK, Cryengine or Unity

That is all I wanted to see because I want to present my work from a game engine perspective and want to see how to do it effectively.

chillax :poly121:
  • EarthQuake
    Marmoset Toolbag 1 is most certainly a game engine, we even made a crappy game using that engine (marmoset engine, game: Darkest of Days). Toolbag is simply the rendering component without the gameplay component. Unless you're specifically intending to demonstrate gameplay, Toolbag 1 is no less a game engine than UDK, Cryengine, or Unity.

dDo's previewer is built on Marmoset Skyshop, which runs via Unity, so it also is a game engine. Not really sure what else you would call it. You can use Skyshop directly in Unity as well, and it would still of course be a game engine.

If you intend to show off a full working level, UDK, Cryengine or Unity would of course make more sense than Marmoset Toolbag or the dDo previewer. However, for individual art assets there literally is no difference, except that it will take longer to set up with UDK, Cryengine or stock Unity.
  • Elyaradine
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    The whole reasoning behind the question is simple: This is what I can do with UDK, Cryengine or Unity
    This is so silly. Pretty much anything you can do in Marmoset, you can do in UDK, or CryEngine, or Unity, if you're willing to spend the time authoring your own your own IBL shaders, cameras and lighting.

Heck, the Unity Marmoset Skyshop add-on in the Unity Asset Store is proof that you can use the same tech elsewhere.

[edit] Ninja'd by Earthquake. :)
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Also it's pretty easy to find art made in UDK, Cryengine and Unity, look at all the games made in it, there is plenty :)

Here is a great portfolio with scenes presented in cryengine among other engines.
    http://www.helderpinto.com/
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks EarthQuake

I am not trying to diss on Marmoset or dDo I do love them both. I am however creating small scenes at the moment (with UDK & Cryengine) with different ideas for my portfolio and I would like to see some examples.

For example single assets I will use marmoset & dDo but I also want to show them inside the game level I have created.

Cheers
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Marmoset Toolbag 1 is most certainly a game engine, we even made a crappy game using that engine (marmoset engine, game: Darkest of Days). Toolbag is simply the rendering component without the gameplay component. Unless you're specifically intending to demonstrate gameplay, Toolbag 1 is no less a game engine than UDK, Cryengine, or Unity.

dDo's previewer is built on Marmoset Skyshop, which runs via Unity, so it also is a game engine. Not really sure what else you would call it. You can use Skyshop directly in Unity as well, and it would still of course be a game engine.

If you intend to show off a full working level, UDK, Cryengine or Unity would of course make more sense than Marmoset Toolbag or the dDo previewer. However, for individual art assets there literally is no difference, except that it will take longer to set up with UDK, Cryengine or stock Unity.
  • EarthQuake
    Thanks EarthQuake

I am not trying to diss on Marmoset or dDo I do love them both. I am however creating small scenes at the moment (with UDK & Cryengine) with different ideas for my portfolio and I would like to see some examples.

For example single assets I will use marmoset & dDo but I also want to show them inside the game level I have created.

Cheers

Sure, that makes sense, if you're building more complex scenes Toolbag 1 isn't a great choice. Hopefully Toolbag 2 will be better in that regard. :)
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    http://scotthomer.co.uk/

there's an example then. but i still think you're being stupid.
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Well let me be an idiot almighty_gir:)

thanks for the link !
    http://scotthomer.co.uk/

there's an example then. but i still think you're being stupid.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    It doesn't matter which engine it's using. All that matters is that it's running realtime instead of via an offline renderer (vray, that kinda shit). You can use the fricken viewport for realtime shots if you can make it look nice.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Massive work Jet_Pilot :thumbup:

Cheers for the link :poly121:
    Jet_Pilot wrote: »
    Here! Watch the videos.
    http://www.aldenfilioncg.com/