Home General Discussion

Your dream studio?

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
It could be real or fictional.

For me, I'd like to work with a studio who specializes in having both cartoon and photorealistic artstyles. The games they make aren't afraid to break what is the norm. So I'm thinking the arcadey, niche games you found in the Dreamcast/Gamecube era of gaming. The studio also values being cutting edge, in both graphics and gameplay. However, the games aren't too cutting edge in that massive budgets are dumped on them only for you to receive corridor like experiences. Instead, think how PC games feature low poly models in the 5,000-10,000 triangles but have high resolution textures slapped on them.

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    My dream studio is the one that has good scheduling, no mandatory overtime, and realistic goals. Other things like amazing art direction and extremely fun gameplay for their products are secondary considerations.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    My dream studio is the one I form in 2020!
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    One that's hiring. In all seriousness, one that allows me to have a life outside of the office, i.e., solid leads and managers, somewhere that challenges me and makes me want to come into work every day.
  • Mrskullface
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Studio formed with others run in a co-op manner. No "my" studio versus "our" studio. If everyone has some investment in the business, productivity and job satisfaction go up.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    I'm just gonna list things:

small project scope
    down to earth accomplish-able goals.
    fun gameplay
    sweet stylized art direction
    no mandatory overtime
    good communication between team members
    little to no outsourcing
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I think you might want to remove "fictional," or everyone will just post all the things they hate about game industry studios and how they wish they didn't have to deal with them! Their reasoning is entirely legitimate, of course, but that is likely what will populate most of this thread.

That being said, I would like to start my own company some day. Besides that, I'm pretty happy with where I'm at.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Swizzle wrote: »
    My dream studio is the one that has good scheduling, no mandatory overtime, and realistic goals. Other things like amazing art direction and extremely fun gameplay for their products are secondary considerations.

This.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    One where i can wear no pants to work.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Hazardous wrote: »
    One where i can wear no pants to work.

Going Commando Games?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Studio formed with others run in a co-op manner. No "my" studio versus "our" studio. If everyone has some investment in the business, productivity and job satisfaction go up.

Amen
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd prefer more games with a singular vision, auteurship if you will. Maybe that's just the built in advantage of indie games, if it's only 2-3 people collaborating on a game there's less idea dilution.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    J0NNYquid wrote: »
    One that's hiring.

THIS !

haha, having not worked in the games industry *yet* I am willing to pay my dues with overtime and whatnot :P Just looking for that opportunity to do so.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like I'm in the minority when I say I still like the idea of working at a big AAA studio. Ever since watching the behind the scenes at Bungie that came with Halo 3 that has been my dream scenario, even after getting into the industry.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    aeron chairs (my first studio had those)
    flexible hours (I'm an owl and like to sleep long, but I have no problem staying long)
    no mandatory overtime
    good management (like people who became managers because of their management skills and not because they rock in a 2d or 3d app. make them ADs instead)
    smaller offices with 15 people max
    some daylight (there can be "cave" rooms for the people who like them)
    free fruit
    spend money where it matters (tools, software, ergonomics, training, books - those help me to do my work, as basketball court that I never use because we're stuck in crunch doesn't)
    either a super duper awesome cantina with lots of choice or a big amount of good lunch places all around. Should also be next to some good public transportation and not somewhere out in the boonies (aka the Alcatraz studios)

I don't have to many requirements work wise. I've done so many things in all the jobs I had and almost all of them were interesting and allowed me to grow. Some were boring, but hey, it's work, not all of it is just fun and play.

I got most of this at my current place, but the aeron chair is still missing ;)
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    thatgamecompany
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    I think my dream studio has at least solved the legacy issue of 9-5 workdays. I hate getting up early every day.

and yeah... where I don't have to wear pants. :thumbup:

This is interesting though. If I made an equal share of the profits blizzard reaps in every quarter with everyone in the company I'd be a very rich man, but I wouldn't have earned it really since that'd be the legacy of wow.

Blizz does run on profit sharing to a degree, and I see some of that, but inherently the longer you stay the more you see.
    That creates a sort of hierarchy if you will that's inherent to 'who did what'.

The coop model seems to break down over time into owners and employees no matter what. That is, if you ever want to expand significantly :o
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    one that provides personal assistants and masseuses, and beer. 24/7.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    one that provides personal assistants and masseuses, and beer. 24/7.

that sounds incredible
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    If I discover I like AAA:

CD Pjkt Red
    iD
    Valve
    Eidos Montreal
    GSC/Vostok games

If I discover I like indie / small studios:

Frictional Games
    Almost Human

If I'm realistic:

Anywhere.
  • tottot
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KI's getting Cintiqs for all their artists, I'm pretty happy with that.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Mine would be:

Bethesda
    Naughty Dog
    Valve
    Gearbox
    Bungie
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    - Cares about their employees.

- Stays Afloat, no matter if their was a failed title, try again.

- Hires new talent every 6 months instead of decreasing staff after a release.
    (burning bridges aren't they?), more production, more titles, more profit, no?

- Raises for Recognition of hard-working employees, decrease for less productive employees based on duties of their position, not based on productivity status of others.
    - with no threat of being let go (a bad day..everyone has one or two..)
    A horrible slacker (I mean bad) will drop down to minimum wage, then given 2 week notice.

- 'Asked first', to take on a new discipline and raises pay accordingly.

- 'Asked first', to help new employees then adjusts pay for going that extra mile (or a personal thank you for helping the company, bonus & name in credits).

- 'Asked first', if they can do some over time, even though things are going well or bad and respects their decision with no threat or fear of loosing their position for not wanting to live in the studio and rather be with their family...

- All the nice perks, Best care packages, instead of all we offer is health/medical(lol).

- Everyone gets all the new toys, seats, gear, ect.

- Sign on bonuses for all, paid vaca.
    (within reason).

- Assistance moving to and from studio.
    (but who the hell would want to leave this one.)

- Understand that people have lives outside of the studio, but knows their employees love where they are working and that they understand production must continue.
    (goes without saying, we need work, you need products..)
    Just talking out my ass though but you did say a dream studio after all.
    This topic is on fire, hmmm.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I just want to be able to work at the Creature Technology Company full time.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Long-term dream studio to work at is Valve

Realistic dream studio is anywhere...

I've had some really terrible experiences, my bar isn't very high at this point. I'd just prefer something mid-sized.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    moof wrote: »
    The coop model seems to break down over time into owners and employees no matter what. That is, if you ever want to expand significantly :o

Absolutely not true. On both accounts. First the owners and the employees are the same.

Secondly, I give you Mondragon started in.. 1956. Who expanded significantly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondragon_Corporation

(Sorry OT, I just hate the misinformation that is spread about co-ops.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm working on my dream studio at the moment.

no pants
    no AAA
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    If not my own and Working for?

Double Fine hands down.

Only other dream is my own studio deving my own games. (With actual real funding and not garage built as ive been doing for so many years)

Seriously though double fine has been my dream studio to work for since I started until I started making my own games :)

would love to end up there for a short time before I finish with the game industry in my life.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I would like to work at a studio with Talent! and not just normal talent but guys like Kenneth Scott, Brian Jones, Kolby Jukes, Sparth, Peter Boehme, and Paul Richards.

I was really lucky to work closely with Strangefate (http://www.strangefate.com/) on Star Trek as my first gig in the industry and was able to learn so much about building both environments and props from him.

And knowing that there is talent out there i can still learn from really keeps me motivated, yeah having a job at a studio is great but i dont do this only for the paycheck.

I want to keep learning and advancing as an artist, I want to take in as much as possible from the people around me.

But i also want to work on amazing genre defining games at the same time thats why places like Valve, 343, Bungie, Id Software really intrigue me.

but ill have to wait i guess don't have a degree so America is not an option for me at the moment it seems :(
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Pretty much this^^

I was lucky to work over at vigil for my first job I improved a ton just from being around all of that talent. Even now I work at Trion, and there are still rockstars to ogle over and push myself to catch up to. :)
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Sega AM2
    Namco's Wangan team
    Specular Interactive

pretty much anything arcade related
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    One where I get the same wage as Lionel messi would be nice :) ....we would go bankrupt in an hour though :( haha

Slide is definetly my fav so far :)
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    My dream studio? My own working on everything from high sci fi to fantasy.
    Right now I'm doing pretty good tho at Dice aswell. :)
  • walthergropius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walthergropius polycounter lvl 8
    crazyfool wrote: »
    One where I get the same wage as Lionel messi would be nice :) ....we would go bankrupt in an hour though :( haha

Slide is definetly my fav so far :)

The cheque's in the post matey :)
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Less than 50 people.
    Not in California.
    Independent.
    Overtime purely optional or only on occasion.

So pretty much my studio in another state, lol.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    The cheque's in the post matey :)

YAHOOOOOOO, see told you slide was the best haha
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Crytek without doubt :D
    These guys has the best tech and many great talents at their disposal. And more importantly their bosses (Yerli Brothers) knows their stuff about managing a company widespread across globe and a great AAA title. And mates, God knows I love BIG things :D

Aside from that I am an entrepreneur who is trying to find funding for his own Game Studio for innovative titles for a while now. And this tread is a treasure for anyone who is considering work conditions for staff.

Swizzle wrote: »

Right on that one Swizzle. 2 years ago I started as a 3D artist for a newly form studio here that ( was supposed to) produces console and mobile games. We are instructed to begin working on a mobile game about chickens and eggs. A simple physics game. How hard it would be ???

We worked 2 years on the bloody thing ! And then guess what ? It has been canceled !

I hate chickens and eggs since then :D
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Absolutely not true. On both accounts. First the owners and the employees are the same.

Secondly, I give you Mondragon started in.. 1956. Who expanded significantly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondragon_Corporation

(Sorry OT, I just hate the misinformation that is spread about co-ops.

Yeah wanted to second this. The concept of worker owned means of production is pretty well understood and can easily account for seniority, leaving before retirement, etc. There might not have been a game company that has done it yet, because most western companies are setup within the framework of capitalism, but even so, there are several western non-game studios (fat tire beer in the US, and I forget the name, but one of the larger department stores in the UK are both worker owned and do incredible in terms of employee satisfaction, retention, no overtime, etc).
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    This will sound naive compared to the industry veterans, but I'd like to work at a AAA studio with lots of hours. I haven't experienced anything more than lots of consecutive all nighters during school, while also maintaining a part-time job. As a single 22 year old, I enjoy the busy schedule, late nights, etc. :) I really want to work for a studio that's technologically advanced, like Crytek or DICE. I prefer large scale, realistic environments over stylized, mobile ones.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    leleuxart wrote: »
    This will sound naive compared to the industry veterans, but I'd like to work at a AAA studio with lots of hours. I haven't experienced anything more than lots of consecutive all nighters during school, while also maintaining a part-time job. As a single 22 year old, I enjoy the busy schedule, late nights, etc. :) I really want to work for a studio that's technologically advanced, like Crytek or DICE. I prefer large scale, realistic environments over stylized, mobile ones.

You do realize that people with that attitude is what is killing this industry. The idea of newly minted graduates going, "Oh, I'll work 600 hours a week for no extra pay, but hey, I'm working (insert hugely popular title here)." Then the studio cronies look at the other artists and go, "What are you doing spending time with your family! What do you need weekends for? This chump (ie you) hasn't gone home in the last 2 weeks! He's a model worker!"

The ideal studio is one that is run by artists, where management as actually worked in the trenches at a studio, and not some ex-car salesman who decided he can make a big buck in the games industry.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14

You think that until you've actually done it, then you realize you're retarding for wanting that. Be careful what you wish for.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I guess it comes down to education eh? That comment is gonna get a lot of raised eyebrows here. Because having to work and crunch all the time comes down to bad management, over scope, and bad planning... and at the end of the day you burn out, and they just get someone else that is fresh to do the work that you tried so hard to keep. Its a loose loose... so its better if we start educating people to get rid of this attitude. Whenever high schoolers come here i tell them the same. If you have to crunch all the time, then your team is doing something wrong. You have to appreciate your time at work and time off work. So think smart and stop giving greedy corporations and excuse to keep taking advantage of new artists.

I think all disciplines are important tho.... can't have an art driven studio without falling short on other areas. I guess there just needs to be cooperation and understanding. The more you know about design and tech/code as an artist, the better you can compliment your game. At least that is what i do, and it seems to work pretty well so far.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    nuff' said.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urSubeOywus"]No More Wanking At Work - YouTube[/ame]
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    You do realize that people with that attitude is what is killing this industry. The idea of newly minted graduates going, "Oh, I'll work 600 hours a week for no extra pay, but hey, I'm working (insert hugely popular title here)." Then the studio cronies look at the other artists and go, "What are you doing spending time with your family! What do you need weekends for? This chump (ie you) hasn't gone home in the last 2 weeks! He's a model worker!"

The ideal studio is one that is run by artists, where management as actually worked in the trenches at a studio, and not some ex-car salesman who decided he can make a big buck in the games industry.

You're over-exaggerating based off of me saying I enjoy lots of hours and being busy. Just because I enjoy those doesn't mean I'm going to stand for '600' hours and being walked over, especially without extra pay. Also, at this point in my life, I'm single, about to graduate college, and looking for work, so it's natural that I'd spend a majority of my time working on game material. In the future, when I'm actually in a serious relationship, my outlook will change tremendously and become much like those that frequent here. I'm sure there are people out there that would work that many hours based off of promised raises or bonuses, but I'm not like that.
    Haiasi wrote: »
    You think that until you've actually done it, then you realize you're retarding for wanting that. Be careful what you wish for.

That's usually how it goes, but all of this is basically people that have had the experience telling newer people to skip out on it and go a different way.
    glottis8 wrote: »
    I guess it comes down to education eh? That comment is gonna get a lot of raised eyebrows here. Because having to work and crunch all the time comes down to bad management, over scope, and bad planning...

I'm not experienced with this too much yet, but what project doesn't have a little bit of bad management, over scope, or bad planning? I guess I should clarify that I'm talking about large scale, AAA titles, not mobile games or indie companies that work whenever they want to.

Thanks for everyone's input though. I'm certainly not one of those guys that is dying to get in the industry and will work whatever crazy hours he's given, I just like working a lot on big projects :)
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    somewhere where I can work on a range of cool characters and creatures in a range of different styles and is stable enough that I can put my kids in school for a few years. Right now it's just anyone who is hiring for more money than I'm currently being paid.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just because I enjoy those doesn't mean I'm going to stand for '600' hours and being walked over, especially without extra pay.

I actually laughed out loud a bit.

oh, to be young again and not experienced.
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
    Being a fanboy, it would have to be Crytek and that ever since I've played Far Cry(the first one) :D
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Start thread derailment
    You're over-exaggerating based off of me saying I enjoy lots of hours and being busy. Just because I enjoy those doesn't mean I'm going to stand for '600' hours and being walked over, especially without extra pay. Also, at this point in my life, I'm single, about to graduate college, and looking for work, so it's natural that I'd spend a majority of my time working on game material. In the future, when I'm actually in a serious relationship, my outlook will change tremendously and become much like those that frequent here. I'm sure there are people out there that would work that many hours based off of promised raises or bonuses, but I'm not like that.

Too bad it never works like that. Before you know it, you'll be 30/40 years old. Still single and still putting in 60-70 work weeks. I also hate to burst your little bubble, but when you are crunching away at work, you won't have time to find a serious relationship. And, if you do, those managers at work won't be so inclined to say, "Ohh golly gee, you found love. Oh, okay, you can now go back to only working 40 hours a week." Once you are known as that go-to guy for overtime and crazy hours, you can't shake it. If you do try to shake it, you'll hear in your next review how you aren't a team player anymore.

Ask any other industry vet how fast time flies when you start working. For three years, from age 23-26, I wasted my time working crazy hours. 3 years that I could be exploring the area I moved to, Southern California of all places. I look back and realize what a dumbass I was taking on all of those hours. Projects come and go, but I can't get that time back. Where did that working like a mad man get me? 2 years later when the recession hit and we had layoffs, I got the thanks for the hard work now there is the door.

Yes, working overtime is inevitable in this industry. But wanting to work OT and being willing to work OT just because is a bad idea to get into your head. You need to work to live, not live to work.

End thread derailment. Carry on.