Home Technical Talk

Tool to make realistic hair in 3DS/Zbrush?

Hello everyone,

So I'm currently a student in 3D Animation and at the point where I am in my formation, I have enough knowledge to go on my own for my personnal projects. To this end, I currently have one in my head which would be quite awesome, but I just can't begin it without having a defined idea of the tools I'll have to use.

Basically my project will be relatively simple. It'll be a portrait of an older self in a very realistic way, where I'll basically transpose a school project, where we had to do ourselves, into the medieval time. To this end, I'd have to give myself long hair & small facial hair, a bit like this. Since the final illustration would probably be quite close to the character face, I'm looking for a high quality tool; I know some are using maya (which I never used yet), but I heard of some 3DS Plugins like Hair Farm. What would be the best?

EDIT: Forgot to say the tools that I'm working with atm:
•Vray
•3DS MAX
•Zbrush (for the high-rez character modelling)
•Photoshop

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    i would start with the native max hair tools... they are based on shave and are good to start with...
    and use splines to style the hair and not the comping tools...

if you have some money give ornatirx a try...
    https://www.ephere.com/plugins/autodesk/max/ornatrix/
  • Freedom4u2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu wrote: »
    i would start with the native max hair tools... they are based on shave and are good to start with...
    and use splines to style the hair and not the comping tools...

if you have some money give ornatirx a try...
    https://www.ephere.com/plugins/autodesk/max/ornatrix/

Yeah, I've been using Hair & Fur with splines since a little while actually and I have to say it's quite interesting; however up to now the renders I've been having, particularly in vray, are quite un-realistic. The fact that ornatirx seems compatible with v-ray is interesting, but it's a bit out of my budget. I'll try to see if there's a student version or something close to it. In case I can't get ornatrix to a respectable price, would there be some alternatives?

Thanks!