Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Far Cry 3 Art Dump

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys!
I recently got just enough free time at work to assemble somewhat of a portfolio for my work on Far Cry 3. I modeled most of the weapons, fixed some outsourced stuff, sculpted some crafting items (on extremely short notice :poly124:) and various other first person or menu props.
For the weapons anyway, it was a crazy challenge fitting what we were trying to achieve into memory, our game being an FPS open world lead on PS3; our budget for weapons was around ~6 MB.

Here's some of what I did:

FC3_1887_01.jpg
FC3_1911_01.jpg
FC3_ACOG_01.jpg
FC3_AK_01.jpg
FC3_AK_02.jpg
FC3_Bow_01.jpg
FC3_Bow_02.jpg
FC3_Craft_01.jpg
FC3_Flame_01.jpg
FC3_Flame_02.jpg
FC3_JapaneseLetters_01.jpg
FC3_KSV_01.jpg
FC3_Laptop_01.jpg
FC3_M133_01.jpg

Replies

• warxsnake
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    sick work dude!
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Merry Christmas to my inspiration folder! Awesome work :)
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    woooo lots of cool stuff!!
    :O
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments, it means a lot to me, <3 you all

I herped a bit and forgot about this guy:

FC3_MS16.jpg

I had to rush these shots out a little bit, when I come back from vacation I'll see if I can post some high poly screens.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Very Nice, really good material work, are these rendered using the same tech as Far cry 3? or some kind of maya/max realtime viewport
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Nice!
    FarCry is fun, still haven't played 3 yet 1 was awesome for me.
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ wrote: »
    Very Nice, really good material work, are these rendered using the same tech as Far cry 3? or some kind of maya/max realtime viewport

It's all straight from FC3 (i.e. Dunia Engine) with an Unlit plane as backdrop.
    The only exception is for the P416, that is real-time screenshot taken from marmoset toolbag, but its the same asset/result with LOD0-D,N,S,G, minus a few Dunia-specific material perks.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Love these! The bow looks great, tempted to try something like that myself soon. The metal you've got going looks really good particularly, especially on the pistol and SVD.
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    This is so awesome congrats!
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    This work is more than inspirational. As awesome as the weapons are, and dont you worry... They are going into the main inspiration folder lol, but the relics are what really stand out to me. They have so much character. Awesome work man, the spec is incredible on a lot of this work.
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
    Great job dude .

Congrats
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Those knives are my favourite - you've packed a helluva lot of detail in there.
    Bravo, sir. Bravo.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    You should change the thread title! I wasn't expecting a FC3 artdump when clicking it ;)
  • fantom
    This is the goood stuff ! :) Awesome work mate !
  • ChrisJ
    This is some great looking stuff, especially loving the statue/figurine things!
  • Kon Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    That's some really nice Stuff:) Really like those knives!
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    You should change the thread title! I wasn't expecting a FC3 artdump when clicking it ;)

Ah yeah good call; I am going to post more personal stuff as well though :)

EDIT: Thanks everyone <3
  • haZe
    Offline / Send Message
    haZe greentooth
    SUHWEET. Would love to see some wires on these bad boys. The tiny details on the bow and others were much appreciated while playing.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    These look pretty nice! Did you do the modeling on these, texturing or the entire thing?
  • CyberGameArts
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
    HOW DID U BECOME THIS GOOD :O :O JUST DAMN!!
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    These look pretty nice! Did you do the modeling on these, texturing or the entire thing?

Yeah, basically my workflow is:

Concept / Research:

For weapons that arent 1:1 realistic. Example would be the flamethrower, which is inspired by the LPO50; however the LPO has a fuel backpack, we needed a canister/ammo based flamethrower. So I came up with a few designs in max.
    I dont get concept art so its really just doing the concept as I do the high poly. I usually talk to and show animators what I'm doing and we come up with things that could be cool animation wise to spice up the weapon. In the case of the flamethrower, we added that pump/lock mechanism for the reload.

High Poly:

High Poly using 90% 3dsmax, on the rare occasion I use zbrush. Obviously for those two knives, I heavily used Zbrush with basemeshes from max.

Low Poly:

I came up with a pipeline to speed this portion up as its usually pretty boring and soul crushing. Low poly max for FC3 was ~10,000tri

UV Set:

Again, super quick pipeline for UV, with the help of TexTools in the finishing portions. After ~40 hard edge weapon unwraps on FC3 though, uuuughhh unwraping. So jealous of organic "pelt" uving. The difference in time between hard edge model uvs and organic model uvs is just absurd :P
    Lots of hardcore tetris UV for FC3, along with very strict mirroring and instancing, as first person weapon textures for consoles are 512px D,N,M. PC is 1024, so we can use all the pixel ratio we can get. With the help of our 3d programmers, I came up with some solutions to narrow the gap between console tex res and PC using some material/mask tricks.

Bake:

Nothing special here, just N and AO. I started baking Curv maps for the project I'm on now but its not super essential. My updated bake workflow is N,AO,~Curv in Xnormal and Light,Color Coding in max RTT.

Rigging and node setup:

Setting up Bones, Nodes (Dunia), Skin, Collisions, Physics parts, Attach points, FX emitters, etc and export.

Integration:

Setting up archetypes in the engine (pickup, visual, properties, skel)

Tex/Mat:

Textures and materials. Most weapons have skin (paint job) support so splitting materials accordingly. On average we have like 40 weapons with minimum 6 skins each and each skin varies each of the materials on the weapons which can contain average about 4 or 5 mats per weap.
    For most of the weapon textures, I used Viewport Canvas in max to paint dirt and crap. It's a relatively weak tool but with the amount of weapons (and other props, crafting items) I needed to make, I needed a fast solution.

LODs:

Super strict LOD/LOD splitting. LOD 0 as mentioned is max 10ktri and LOD1 drops 75%. Each LOD is a 75% decrease, to fit in memory. Weapon budget for FC3 is ~6MB.

Polish and debug:

Lotsa debug
  • S_ource
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for showing this very inspirational.
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    Holy hell that is a LOT of work you've done there! Excuse me whilst I save all of these into my inspiration folder. Also "hardcore tetris UV" - fantastic XD
  • inwar
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    love this game. last thing i did in the game was a challenge that changes your weapon after every kill which really makes you appreciate the amount of awesome weapons in the game :)
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    Weapons in FC 3 are very detailed im glad to run on this topic and to congratulation to man who made it great job
  • BobtheGreatII
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    Great work! I was blown away by the weapon models in FC3. Glad to see this show up on polycount. :)
  • ivanzu
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    warxsnake wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments, it means a lot to me, <3 you all

I herped a bit and forgot about this guy:

FC3_MS16.jpg

I had to rush these shots out a little bit, when I come back from vacation I'll see if I can post some high poly screens.

Nice but the sight position doesn't seem to be a good one because the sight is blocking the empty shells to eject.
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu wrote: »
    Nice but the sight position doesn't seem to be a good one because the sight is blocking the empty shells to eject.

The height was determined and matched to this, then sent to some Marines for verification. The receiver is of course, flipped.

OEF%20Dec27_2004%20Soldiers%20Patrol%20villages%20near%20Waza%20Khwa-10.jpg
  • vemadesign
    Offline / Send Message
    vemadesign polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome job! Bow and quivers are my favorite. :)
  • Broadway
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    Dude, awesome work. That tanto... droooool

512 for FPS weapon textures sounds very small! Can you give any tips for scaling different UV areas to make sure small details aren't lost (for instance, the small stamped writing on the P416 receiver, or the "LOCK" text and screw on the bow)? Do you have a specific workflow for this or do you just kind of eyeball it?

You mentioned you developed a pipeline for speeding up low-poly creation. Can you talk more about this? I'm intrigued.

Very cool stuff man!
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway wrote: »
    Dude, awesome work. That tanto... droooool

512 for FPS weapon textures sounds very small! Can you give any tips for scaling different UV areas to make sure small details aren't lost (for instance, the small stamped writing on the P416 receiver, or the "LOCK" text and screw on the bow)? Do you have a specific workflow for this or do you just kind of eyeball it?

You mentioned you developed a pipeline for speeding up low-poly creation. Can you talk more about this? I'm intrigued.

Very cool stuff man!

Hey no problem
    512 for fps weapons is small. As a result, the weapons have mirrored details 90% of the area, only key items are fully unwrapped. Lots of instancing here and there, for example, baking and texturing a single Picatinny rail notch and instancing it in the low res, and so on.
    Some barrels have quarter unwraps as another example.

I could not afford too much of the adaptive UV shell size technique (closer polys have bigger uv shells), because of our dynamic cover system which shows the left, top, right sides of the weapon frequently.

The text on the bow is alpha floaters

To help maintain sharpness on console I asked for a tiling spec mask that breaks up the main mask, among other material features but thats the most important.

Speed up in low res creation not something mindblowing, just small tricks for really quick uv mapping, with the help of textools in the end. The instancing and mirroring ties into this.
    Also using viewport canvas to greatly speed up texturing, as well as setting up a max base mesh that would require the least amount of cleanup between your HR and LR, and learning to love (pro)boolean to create complex HR shapes.
  • Broadway
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    Cool man, thanks for the info!

Those are some nifty tricks, and some hefty constraints you overcame. The tiling spec mask thing is really clever. Very cool.

I've used 3d painting tools for cartoony handpainted models but for some reason I never thought about using them on realistic hard-edge models. I imagine that was a huge timesaver; can't wait to try that workflow.

I'd love to see texture flats for any of these models!
  • Goten-trunk
    Offline / Send Message
    Goten-trunk polycounter lvl 12
    Farcry 3 is one of the best game in my collection and man your stuff is amazing & speechless, and plz rename this post Farcy3 art :)
  • bblotus
    I'm amazed that a single 3D Modeler for a major mainstream game is responsible for creating not only such a large cache of weapons but also everything from textures to rigging. I was turned off with the major CGI studios in how it requires a small army of artists to achieve any asset but video games apparently haven't progressed to those dizzying levels of complication yet.
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    Farcry 3 is one of the best game in my collection and man your stuff is amazing & speechless, and plz rename this post Farcy3 art :)

Dont Know how :S
    Editing the original post's title just gives that post a title, doesn't replace thread title
  • theSixtyEight
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    Aww, sick man, SICK!
    pls tell me, how did u make wearing/scrapes? and how much time did it cost you to make one advanced weapon like MP5 or M4? (just approx model+textures+shaders)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    great stuff all around, dude!
  • polygoo
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo polycounter lvl 17
  • Crack Panda
    Beautiful work, always love seeing what others are doing for games. The detailing is fantastic.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Any chance you can drop this in to an imgur album?
    www.imgur.com (literally drag/drop from your desktop on to the site)
  • Mcejn
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Nice stuff! On average, how long did you have to complete a prop or weapon on FC3?

Also, is there any way you could elaborate a bit more on this?
    With the help of our 3d programmers, I came up with some solutions to narrow the gap between console tex res and PC using some material/mask tricks.

Thanks! :)
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn wrote: »
    Nice stuff! On average, how long did you have to complete a prop or weapon on FC3?

Also, is there any way you could elaborate a bit more on this?

Thanks! :)

Yeah
    Takes a week to a week and a half for weapons. The longest part is usually coming up with a design during high poly because of no concept art

I asked for a tiling mask slot that gets combined with the original mask map to preserve some sharpness for console, as well as a tiling diffuse. But because of the customizable skin system, the skins ended up taking that diffuse slot.
    Besides that, got some sharpness and 'levels' control in the mat for the mask to preserve that sharpness as much as I could.
    I had a second normal (tiling) slot as well early on but was removed halfway in prod as our engine went deferred and the materials got optimized.
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    beautifful stuff!!
  • carlobarley
    Offline / Send Message
    carlobarley polycounter lvl 9
    many thanks sir! you inspire!
  • aobond
    Offline / Send Message
    aobond polycounter lvl 7
    amazing stuff, and thanks for the breakdown :), love the material definition
  • Mcejn
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the reply. Good stuff!
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Fantastic collection of work, just beat FC3, not only was it amazingly fun, but it looked fantastic. Love the weapons :)
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    loved the game! Love the weapon art just as much! Thanks for sharing!