Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Far Cry 3 Art Dump

Replies

• Havoc89
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    Very awesome, thanks for showing it to us.
  • Athomield
    warxsnake wrote: »

It's all straight from FC3 (i.e. Dunia Engine) with an Unlit plane as backdrop.
    The only exception is for the P416, that is real-time screenshot taken from marmoset toolbag, but its the same asset/result with LOD0-D,N,S,G, minus a few Dunia-specific material perks.

wait, dunia engine ? i thought FC3 was done in CryEngine 3.
    Greate work BTW !
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    awesome work dude, FC3 looked stunning. I really love the vector.

what did you use for baking? the normal mapping looks pretty flawless.
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    awesome work dude, FC3 looked stunning. I really love the vector.

what did you use for baking? the normal mapping looks pretty flawless.

Xnormal for baking
    Some weapons very early on were baked without cage (just setting raycast in xnormal) and minimum smoothing splits, but thats terrible for LODs and shading in general

Converted to split UV/SG and a cage for better lods and better result.
  • OtrickP
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    I pretty much came at the first scope and the rest was a blur. So good!
    Your use of detail is incredible.
  • Spatz
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    DAMN NICE WORK!
  • megalmn2000
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Woah! Very nice stuff! ^^ Love them!
  • Tokusei
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokusei polycounter lvl 10
    Great work, love the texturing on the weapons and the designs on the bow and the relics!

Thanks for your workflow breakdown, learnt a couple of new things there :poly121: As for the Overlapping UVs, this means your normal map will shade incorrectly if you use it on a different area of the mesh, any tips for dealing with this? I am making a gun atm and have most of my UVs with a symmetry mod ontop
  • Chai
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Great work, thanks for sharing and love the statues !
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    warxsnake, these look really great. I love your scuffing and oxidization on the edges it has a great amount of low frequency and high frequency these textures look really good.

Can you explain your technique for scuffing the edges, anything special here? Did you make the grime maps yourself? Looking forward to trying the game I was given a copy for my birthday.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
  • brokenpoly
    Offline / Send Message
    brokenpoly polycounter lvl 9
    You Sir, you are a legend! It`s been a while since I spent this much time on a game, so kudos to all you guys working on this fantastic sandbox experience :)

Great, great work!
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Superb. A bit more on the lighting for these sheets would have been awesome but I'll be sure to pick the game up soon so I will check out all the assets in their full glory then!
  • Arod529
    Only a week per weapon huh... crap I need to speed up a bit.

But seriously, very impressive.
  • gartht3d
    this is just sooooo nice. I literally just went and bought FC3 to see all this excellent art in real-time. Thanks
  • Li0n
    Technically these models looks good, but...
    Excuse me - is it AK? I don`t see any AK on the screen, I see just crazy mixture of AKM and AK-74.
    Shotgun with ACOG? Well... it`s... pretty impressive... :D
    And etc.
    It seems that author doesn`t know the word "reference".
    P.S. And in case of somebody will start talking that it is not a sim - humans were modelled as they are, no 5-legs, or blue skin. I didn`t saw any rainbow fur on the animals so everything looks as it is in real. So why guns don`t?
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Beautiful work, man. I love that bow and quiver. Thanks for explaining some of your process.
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Heya Greg, this is some great work. Love the knives especially.
    Wiki is the rightful place for this ;)
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryReferenceGameArt#Far_Cry_3_.282012.29
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    so glad there's a wiki. :)

fantastic work!
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone! If a mod can change the thread title, as it's a little stupid, go for it.

I will be adding more stuff to it soon though

<3
  • cheeseplus
    Offline / Send Message
    cheeseplus admin
    Renamed the thread as per your request ;)
  • CataFa
    Offline / Send Message
    CataFa polycounter lvl 11
    Nice stuff, thanks for sharing.
  • Johan3043
    Wow i will totally add this to my Inspiration folder! Holy cow! Awesome work man!
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    brilliant work Greg,
    nice to see you took the time to show us all to goodies you've made on this game!
    gratz man!
  • ivanzu
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Now I just need to see some environment breakdowns!:nerd:
  • mats effect
    Really fantastic work!
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
  • XilenceX
    Offline / Send Message
    XilenceX polycounter lvl 10
    This is an awesome collection of weapon models! Thanks for sharing the 10k tris, 1k textures and 6MB memory as well. That really helped me decide what to go for with my next weapon. ^^
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
  • JFinn_UK
    Offline / Send Message
    JFinn_UK polycounter lvl 7
    Insanely good work, hard to believe this is low poly art nowadays, looks stellar
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    A week from initial design to finished piece? What the fuck?

Awesome work by the way.
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    A week from initial design to finished piece? What the fuck?

Awesome work by the way.

Thanks!

For the simple stuff like pistols and some shotguns, a week... although admittedly, sometimes pistols take longer than smgs/rifles as you have to create a pretty detailed and convincing "inside" so that you can animate the slide, and usually interior parts are a complicated mess.

Rifles, LMGs, or mounted guns and stuff like that can take two weeks.
    Knives and stuff, especially the ones done in zbrush (Tanto, Chinese Knife, Shiv that i didnt show here) should take 2days to a week at maximum.

Stuff like the flamethrower, ironically since its ridiculously simple when you look at it compared to other things, took me almost 3 weeks because of again, lack of concept art so its a very lengthy and iterative process of coming up with a design while doing the high res.
    (The weapon is based on the LPO50 but uses a canister ammo system instead of backpack)

Same thing for our knock-off M249 weapon which I didnt show here.
    We weren't allowed to make a 1:1 m249 so I had to drastically change the design and functionality.

So if I had to correct my info, I'd say 2 weeks is probably a better average.

That's one thing I'm working on to better my workflow is to draw more 2D stuff and references at the start so I don't end up always going blind into a high poly max modeling session.
  • wright.tom85
    You mention high and low poly versions of these weapons. Are you talking about high poly normal bakes and low poly game models, or high and low poly LOD versions?
    I build my low poly models first, then beef up the polycount for smoothness and extra detail where it's needed, but it sounds like you do your building at the high poly level first, then reduce it to the low poly version afterwards. Do you prune the high poly version down by hand, or did you guys hire a wizard to create a geometry reduction program that actually works right?

The texture work on these weapons are amazing, I couldn't figure out how you packed so much clean detail into a 512 - or even 1024 - map. I'm so glad to hear it's mostly repeating textures and clever geometry duplication. For a while there I thought I was seriously skill-deficient, or fell asleep on an important day in class or something. :P
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    You mention high and low poly versions of these weapons. Are you talking about high poly normal bakes and low poly game models, or high and low poly LOD versions?
    I build my low poly models first, then beef up the polycount for smoothness and extra detail where it's needed, but it sounds like you do your building at the high poly level first, then reduce it to the low poly version afterwards. Do you prune the high poly version down by hand, or did you guys hire a wizard to create a geometry reduction program that actually works right?

The texture work on these weapons are amazing, I couldn't figure out how you packed so much clean detail into a 512 - or even 1024 - map. I'm so glad to hear it's mostly repeating textures and clever geometry duplication. For a while there I thought I was seriously skill-deficient, or fell asleep on an important day in class or something. :P

When I talk about the HR/HP High res/High Poly, I mean the basemesh/turbosmoothed version meant for bake.
    LR/LP is LOD0. LOD1,2,3 are 75% down respectively

My workflow is to create a basemesh that is adapted for both uses, basically the only different between the HR and the LR should be the control edges, that I remove as I prepare the LR. Obviously some additional cleanup but yeah, it all originates from an HR that is cleaned/optimized for LR and uv/bake.

Example would be barrels or cylindrical objects within the basemesh that have the final number of sides for the in-game version from the start (12 or 16 or 20), with just control edges that get removed either by cleanup or deleting an edit poly stack or mesh copy, etc
  • ausernottaken
    When I first got a hold of an AK 47 and the sun glinted off of it, my first thought was "Man these weapons look really good. I wonder who made them." Well now I know. :)

I would really like to see some textures flats of one of them if it's not too much trouble.
  • hamzaaa
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa polycounter lvl 11
    This is lovely stuff mate! I will play this game for sure :)
  • falloffalot
    Wow, it's great to hear from an actual modeller who has worked on a current game!
    I finished Far Cry 3 a couple of weeks ago, I can honestly say the game is epic!
    It is visually stunning with beautiful modelling, well done and thanks for sharing.
  • CougarJo
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    @ ausernottaken : this is what I think is great with Polycount. Sometimes in the games I play I can say "Hey I know who model/texture these assets :D''

These weapons are so much breathtaking! Good job! Direct in inspiration folder!
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    So did you rebuild the models that the guys at massive made from scratch aswell, since I know a couple of those models were made by the guys at massive (like the ACOG and AK)? Otherwise it might be good to specify which ones you didnt model : )
  • PhoenixWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    Snefer wrote: »
    So did you rebuild the models that the guys at massive made from scratch aswell, since I know a couple of those models were made by the guys at massive (like the ACOG and AK)? Otherwise it might be good to specify which ones you didnt model : )

dammnnnnnnn........ :-/
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17

if you look at the screenshots he has written AK-Paint job on the image, so it is another way of saying he did the shader, which is true : ), aswell as 95% of the models that made it in-game.
  • Dee
    Wow thanks for sharing! Its always good to know what happens behind the scenes!
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    FC3_Optical_01.jpg

Can I please see some wires for this one? Pretty please? :)
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
    Very Nice Stuffs .

Did you used max for rigging or Maya ?

If max , you used setup bones or used original Biped ?

Can tell more about Gun bone setup PLZZZZ

Thanks in advance .
  • nukes
    Offline / Send Message
    nukes polycounter lvl 4
    I'm amazed with how good they look straight from the engine.
    Just trying cryengine now but i would love to get my hands on those shaders haha.
    thanks for posting.
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    dammnnnnnnn........ :-/
    wizo wrote: »
    if you look at the screenshots he has written AK-Paint job on the image, so it is another way of saying he did the shader, which is true : ), aswell as 95% of the models that made it in-game.

The ACOG is 100% me, not sure what ACOG you are referring to, but the one we use in the game is from scratch on my side, as well as all weapon attachments. If Massive made an ACOG at one point, we did not use it, I wasn't even aware of its existence.

I was told to remodel and rebake the AK entirely (among other weapons like the SVD, Skorpion) because the weapon did not meet pixel ratio requirements vs other weapons.

Because we dont have access to Modo which was the initial program used to create the high res, we were sent an OBJ of the high res, although this was collapsed with no turbo or meshsmooth history, and import corruption with random polys being flipped. Thus I remodeled the high res

Basically the AK as you see it is mostly my work minus a few high poly pieces (I think just the upper and low receiver) we couldn't change/adapted because of collapsed HP/time.

The SVD was another case where the high res was collapsed and the in-game had very low pixel ratio and very low poly. In this case we decided to "fuck it" and make one from scratch.

I have before and after shots of all these but I'm not sure I'm allowed to share that kind of thing.

Other Massive weapons which I didn't include in my photos had plenty of patch up work:

PKM: Re-UV, Re-Bake, Re-Tex, Mats

Skorpion: Was going to rebake because of visible harsh normal gradients. Because of time constrains, added chamfers and re-smooth groups low poly, manually re-paint Normal map to match the new topology; re-tex, Mats

STGW90 (Sig): Delete old picatinny rail because of pixel ratio problems (rail is in your face when you are in cover, console version looked almost solid black, had no normals baked, just diff and spec), create high poly rail and bake, with new rail UVs adapted to old UV set, added back iron sight.
    Normal map paintover because of normal map gradients from bake, Mats

Ultimax 100: Because of time constraints, I created a custom mask for this that relied heavily on tiling spec and diff to counter low pixel ratio.

RPG: Fine, just mat tweaks

Might be forgetting others, not sure. Anyway thats the gist.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    The ACOG is 100% me, not sure what ACOG you are referring to, but the one we use in the game is from scratch on my side, as well as all weapon attachments. If Massive made an ACOG at one point, we did not use it, I wasn't even aware of its existence.

I was told to remodel and rebake the AK entirely (among other weapons like the SVD, Skorpion) because the weapon did not meet pixel ratio requirements vs other weapons.

Because we dont have access to Modo which was the initial program used to create the high res, we were sent an OBJ of the high res, although this was collapsed with no turbo or meshsmooth history, and import corruption with random polys being flipped. Thus I remodeled the high res

Basically the AK as you see it is mostly my work minus a few high poly pieces (I think just the upper and low receiver) we couldn't change/adapted because of collapsed HP/time.

The SVD was another case where the high res was collapsed and the in-game had very low pixel ratio and very low poly. In this case we decided to "fuck it" and make one from scratch.

I have before and after shots of all these but I'm not sure I'm allowed to share that kind of thing.

Other Massive weapons which I didn't include in my photos had plenty of patch up work:

PKM: Re-UV, Re-Bake, Re-Tex, Mats

Skorpion: Was going to rebake because of visible harsh normal gradients. Because of time constrains, added chamfers and re-smooth groups low poly, manually re-paint Normal map to match the new topology; re-tex, Mats

STGW90 (Sig): Delete old picatinny rail because of pixel ratio problems (rail is in your face when you are in cover, console version looked almost solid black, had no normals baked, just diff and spec), create high poly rail and bake, with new rail UVs adapted to old UV set, added back iron sight.
    Normal map paintover because of normal map gradients from bake, Mats

Ultimax 100: Because of time constraints, I created a custom mask for this that relied heavily on tiling spec and diff to counter low pixel ratio.

RPG: Fine, just mat tweaks

Might be forgetting others, not sure. Anyway thats the gist.

Ah, okay, cool : ) Didnt mean to offend or anything, was just curious since I was once of the guys at massive that was building weapons (like ultimax 100 and RPG), and I recognised some of the guns that were already built back then (in the beginning of the project so it was a long time ago) before I left, for example an exact identical ACOG sight and the AK etc. The texturing/shaders works out great though, looks killer! Thanks for the breakdown :)
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, okay, cool : ) Didnt mean to offend or anything, was just curious since I was once of the guys at massive that was building weapons (like ultimax 100 and RPG), and I recognised some of the guns that were already built back then (in the beginning of the project so it was a long time ago) before I left, for example an exact identical ACOG sight and the AK etc. The texturing/shaders works out great though, looks killer! Thanks for the breakdown :)

No problem my pleasure! I'm still on vac but once I get back if I have time I'll try to add high poly screens and texture sheets to the dump.
    I had to rush all these before xmas because security guy was leaving for vac :P
  • Shanthosa
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    Phenomenal stuff. Absolutely inspirational. I remember during the opening when Denis puts the machete right up to the camera and it just looked so god damn good. More than once while playing I would stop and just turn in circles and stare at how awesome my weapon looked.
  • Kilkus
    Offline / Send Message
    Kilkus polycounter lvl 15
    Cracking Art Dump, bout half way through the game and loving it so far all the weapons look great. Thanks for sharing.