Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Elluel, Fantasy style environment WIP

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Beetle polycounter lvl 9
Hi Guys,

Wanted to get an opinion on what you guys think of my environment (WIP). this is for one of my modules in University and we were told to do something we haven't done before, me being striving to be a character artist chose to do environments.

The concept was taken off Maple story and is based off a map called Elluel, its a first for me doing environment as i am a character artist so i'm still lacking, any critique and advice is very much appriciated, here is the concept and the area its taken from.

The original image
Pickedarea.jpg

The concept
Untitled-4.jpg

the style I'm aiming for is between a cartoony and realistic feel like that of Vergne Fanny's "Fantasy Portal Environment", rather I'd say it's inspired by it. for those that don't know what that is please check the link below.

http://fafart.blogspot.co.uk/p/fantasy-portal-env.html

Actually I've come quite a long way since the concept, jumped right into it actually and now that I think about it, there are probably a lot of mistakes in the process i used to create this, this was all done via Zbrush aside from the pillar and Gate, I could have planned this better, but due to me being bad at planning and having other work to do I just pretty much carried on with it. Here is what i have so far

Elluel1.jpg
Elluel2.jpg
Elluel3.jpg
Elluel4.jpg
Elluel5.jpg
Elluel6.jpg

Replies

• m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really solid so far! I think you've done the right thing jumping straight into zbrush, get some sweet detail in and worry about topology later, just realise it's gonna take a while :)

I think giving the archway more of a natural feel by building it out of the tree in some way would look great. I believe that a light source in the scene, rather than just ambient will really help make this pop, maybe make that spire like thing more of a lantern pole, similar to the concept? Could be interesting if the crystal gave off some sort of emissive light as well to help the fantasy feel.

Keep sculpting!!
  • Beetle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beetle polycounter lvl 9
    m1neh wrote: »
    Looks really solid so far! I think you've done the right thing jumping straight into zbrush, get some sweet detail in and worry about topology later, just realise it's gonna take a while :)

I think giving the archway more of a natural feel by building it out of the tree in some way would look great. I believe that a light source in the scene, rather than just ambient will really help make this pop, maybe make that spire like thing more of a lantern pole, similar to the concept? Could be interesting if the crystal gave off some sort of emissive light as well to help the fantasy feel.

Keep sculpting!!

Thanks for the feedback and forgive me for the late reply >.<, i was a bit more busy than i thought i would be. Unfortunatly the deadline for the project was too soon to implement your advice on the project, but the plan is to further improve it whenever i have free time so your advice won't go to waste :). Honestly zbrush has given me my share of problems, too many grey hairs now lol.

here is the somewhat completed model in UDK, its a shame i didnt get the rest in on time but i'm happy with the results so far :D

Shot1_zps277a3263.jpg
    Shot2_zps2c6ffc6a.jpg
    shot3_zps8724c2af.jpg
    shot4_zps1d2a59c9.jpg