Home General Discussion

Planetside 2

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    it looks better than beta, and plays better than beta, they really had a smooth release on this. my outfit had 2 full platoons muggin amerish last night, about 80 players. a lot of fun, and sonys goina make bank off of my station cash.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    they really had a smooth release on this.

you must not be european..
    yet another game By Americans For Americans
    tons of people all over europe are reporting launcher crashes, login problems, general errors and what have you

I tried for 8 hours yesterday, downloaded the steam client twice before realizing it only had the US launcher, which is a no go for europeans..

oh well, watching streams of people enjoying what I can only imagine being a good game is good enough I guess... guess thats the free part they were talking about.

was gonna spend some money on this, but Ill hold on to them for now

but I guess since this is the first mmo SOE launches one can expect a few probl...... wait what?
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I downloaded it last night..didn't get around to playing it though. maybe tonight...have a few friends who worked on it so i've got to get some eyeballs on it soon.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    you must not be european..

I tried for 8 hours yesterday, downloaded the steam client twice before realizing it only had the US launcher, which is a no go for europeans..

I feel your pain, lucky that I saw this, was only 1GB into downloading the client from Steam.

Launchpad is totally broken for me, I was able to get as far as creating a username and account. Guess I'm going to stick with BF3 until the dust settles. Always wanted to play the first one but had no money for subscriptions back then.

EDIT:

Seems like it's working for me now, downloading the client through the european launcher. I uninstalled the launcher then deleted all of the Sony files in users/public, fingers crossed.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    insider tip: launching MMO's hasn't gotten any easier - it would have probably been better to delay the European launch until Friday. If it really was BY AMERICANS FOR AMERICANS it would have launched in NA with the European launch coming some time next year.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Darn, I was actually thinking about trying it out, but if its so bad with lag and connection at the moment, I rather wait a bit longer (since im in Europe as well).
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's pretty great, I only played for a little bit but I figured it's at least worth $50, so I bought that much station cash.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I'm stubbles, TR on Connery
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    So I tried this tonight, and wtf...

This must be THE worst introduction I've ever seen. Maybe you need to be an FPS player already? I made a character, it literally drops me under some random tree. All I see is a bunch of people shooting and whatnot, and I'm dead within 10 seconds.

No clue what's going on. No clue who's on my team, where to go, how to even play the damn thing. Nothing makes sense in the game, there are tanks and airplanes, and lord knows what else, and absolutely zero introduction. No tutorial or anything.

I've never been as dumbfounded as I was trying to play this thing.
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    Wow you guys can already play it? i can't even get the beta removed. Some stupid 1001 error. And yeah can delete the files but it still keeps the registry messed up. Anyone had this problem? Even considering a full whipe of my system atm lolz
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I can't remove the beta, I installed the game through steam (I'm in Europe) and that works for myself and friends.

I agree about lack of introduction though. I'd played some PS1 years ago and a bit of the beta for this one, but there are still things I don't understand.
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm yeah i could use steam to. Decided to whipe my whole system and make a clean instal of everything i use again (got to much junk anyway atm).

Tough i'll prolly get the launcher from the soe side. Heard in yesterdays cynicalbrit's content patch that you can just use the soe launcher and log in with your soe account wile still playing on eu servers since it's a global game. that seems to fix most if not all launcher and startup related issues.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    So I tried this tonight, and wtf...

This must be THE worst introduction I've ever seen. Maybe you need to be an FPS player already? I made a character, it literally drops me under some random tree. All I see is a bunch of people shooting and whatnot, and I'm dead within 10 seconds.

No clue what's going on. No clue who's on my team, where to go, how to even play the damn thing. Nothing makes sense in the game, there are tanks and airplanes, and lord knows what else, and absolutely zero introduction. No tutorial or anything.

I've never been as dumbfounded as I was trying to play this thing.

I thought it was great. All out assault from space ships, what can you expect other than be confused? Though the thing about not recognizing the enemy and team mates is a good point, but the game does point out "don't shoot at team mates" if you do that.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Just firing this up for the first time.. "Menu Screens: the game"

How can I mute the music in menus? Nothing under settings..
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn: Planetside 2 Basic Training

redeploy to the warpgate and do some practice in a safe area
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    I, and everyone I know, has since uninstalled that game because of the horrendous performance issues. We have people like me with decent rigs, that get 6fps in decent fights and then others with $2500 rigs that are pulling 15-18 fps in the same fights. It's a 32bit, DX9 client uses 30% of our cpu's because it was created with 6 year old dual-core machines in mind and as such has no idea how to properly utilize newer hardware. Such a shame as so many of us waiting nearly a decade for this
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odd, my system is pretty good (not top end) and have everything pretty much cranked up as high as it goes and the game runs fine. Do you know if there is a common element to rigs having poor performance?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone remember Quake 2 at launch would repeatedly crash when trying to join a server? If you're a PC gamer & an MMO fan at all, you should have some patience, I've been playing them on and off for 15 years and launched a few myself, it's been a pretty smooth launch based on my experience.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got the game to work on Steam, and it was actually quite fun, though chaotic. I think the trick is to have a bunch of friends playing, with voice come, so you can coordinate the attacks, there was so many times I needed people to come recapture a point and went head to head against 5 other players. But it was fun...even tried flying...and the key word here is 'tried'.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My only issue is with enemy players not rendering past 200ft, about 75% of the time. They can shoot me, but I can't see them until I run closer. Kinda BS and I don't know what's going on. I've tried low settings and maxed settings, nothing helps. But the game itself (though difficult to understand at first) is growing on me a lot.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that did annoy the hell out of me as well, was sitting in my turret, shoot over to the other back, and it wasn't possible to see anyone at that range. I'm imagine it might have more to do with reducing lag then FPS, I don't know.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    ironbelly wrote: »
    I, and everyone I know, has since uninstalled that game because of the horrendous performance issues. We have people like me with decent rigs, that get 6fps in decent fights and then others with $2500 rigs that are pulling 15-18 fps in the same fights. It's a 32bit, DX9 client uses 30% of our cpu's because it was created with 6 year old dual-core machines in mind and as such has no idea how to properly utilize newer hardware. Such a shame as so many of us waiting nearly a decade for this

This was the problem I had trying to run the beta (that and the painful latency I was also experiencing). I got around 10fps with 16Gb memory, an i7 Quad and 460 combo. Woe.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm interesting. I've got an i5, 8Gb ram and a 560 Ti, maybe the graphics card is the bottleneck then? Not sure what the recommended specs are.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that a GTX 560 Ti, Mongrelman? I have almost the same setup and my fps are fine, even on high. I have an i5-2400k (sandybridge), 8GB ram and a normal GTX560.

Once in a while, I get a glitch where the FPS will drop to 2-3 and I will see polygon spikes and the terrain will flick on/off. But it doesn't happen often enough to be a major problem.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry yeah, it's a GTX 560 Ti. Performance has been pretty great for me.

Well, I did manage to fall through the world last night, but I don't think that's anything to do with my computer :)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    Hmm interesting. I've got an i5, 8Gb ram and a 560 Ti, maybe the graphics card is the bottleneck then? Not sure what the recommended specs are.

The 'minimum' specs are something like an 8800, IIRC. If the realistic specs are higher than a 460, I'm worried about how their engine/renderer is implemented.
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm i run a i5-3570k , 8gb ram, hd7870oc build. I haven't played launch yet but can't be to different from beta right? Run beta everything maxed out with ease. no lag and no frame issues.

Edit: had to change the 7970 to 7870. type-o
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I get about 45fps average, i5 2500k (stock), 7870oc (sapphire). Running everything on highest besides fog shadows, no AO, no motion blur.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    anyone has issues with the steam version?
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What kind of issues? I installed it from Steam and could use it right away. Then again, I haven't had the demo installed.
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    I found running it through steam dropped my framerate a bit. Not the steam version just running it through steam, if I closed down steam and went into the steam planetside 2 directory and ran the launcher directly it helped.

Most all of the issues are CPU related as the client is very poorly multithreaded. It'll slam 2 of your cores to the max and then barely touch the rest, which is common enough with PC games but with a game like planetside that is so insanely cpu intensive because of how many calculations that goes on with 1000's of players duking it out, it's unforgiveable. It's a 32 bit, DX9 client written for 5 year old dual-core machines because it's the same client they will be using for the next ever quest so they wanted something that would work well with a very broad hardware demographic. The unfortunate thing is that most PC shooter players have much more modern hardware than your casual Everquest player and the engine isn't able to capitalize on this new hardware, resulting in sub-par performance on machines that should be pulling 60 frames per second constantly without ever dropping regardless of the situation on screen.

You can press alt-f to see your framerate in game and it will also tell you if your performance is being limited by your cpu or gpu
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So what games are you comparing PS2 to? Take into account the maps are 64km2 & hold 2,000 players.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    ironbelly wrote: »
    You can press alt-f to see your framerate in game and it will also tell you if your performance is being limited by your cpu or gpu
    Ah, was wondering what that meant by having CPU after my framerate...

Quite disappointing that it's been made on crappy technology, but sony aren't in the best of financial situations.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Mine runs alright on this system, which is pretty poor in the 3d department, i just lower all the settings.

Resolution seems to be the biggest effector of fps for me.

Loving it :)
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing is, the game feels oddly responsive even though my fps is rather low at some places (30 fps or so).
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Jumped in last night... looks fun.. but i had absolutely no idea what I was doing. Ha. Also I don't think anyone knows how to fly vehicles yet... because there was a whole lot of drunk flopping around with the jets.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Watch those videos linked on the last page, helps a lot.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    just installed and works great.. it feels like old planetside which gives me a nice warm feeling

kungpochicken <- me
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been playing with a couple of friends on skype and hopping in squads. Had some great battles. Very impressive when you spawn and run up to the crest of a hill where about 30 infantry on your team are pouring fire down onto an enemy base, your tanks are rolling forward hammering away and there are dogfights going on above you, as tracer AA fire from the base turrets are flying above you.

Just wish unlocks weren't quite as expensive :/
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Played for 8 hours today, with friends, randoms, and alone, only got 100 credits to unlock stuff when most stuff is 1000. There's no way I'm going to keep playing if I have to play 80 hours to unlock 1 gun.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    ZacD wrote: »
    Played for 8 hours today, with friends, randoms, and alone, only got 100 credits to unlock stuff when most stuff is 1000. There's no way I'm going to keep playing if I have to play 80 hours to unlock 1 gun.

Welcome to the f4p games! :D

BTW, this game is infected by cheaters.

I you really want to play well, without the need of hundreds hours of play, you are forced to pay in the cash shop, or simplily buy a premium suscription if you really love the game.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Blaizer wrote: »
    I you really want to play well, without the need of hundreds hours of play, you are forced to pay in the cash shop, or simplily buy a premium suscription if you really love the game.

That's a bit dramatic, I've had no problems dominating with the vanilla selection of equipment even when the opponent was blinged out with everything up to a skullmask.

The only downside is that it does become more fun with additional weapon sidegrades, and even with premium it's hard to get those certs up, the only upsides to expensive weapons in the end are entirely situational.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You also get certs even though you're offline.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Blaizer wrote: »
    Welcome to the f4p games! :D

Lets look at league of legends, on average you can afford get a new champion in 15 hours played, or one of the most expensive in 45 hours. And there's free stuff that changes every week!

I'd be happy if I got a gun upgrade or ability or cosmetic item after 20 hours, and something really cool after 45 hours. 80 hours just to get something that I may not like is insane.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Also: There's a trial option for every unlock. Click the "unlock" button and a menu opens up. On the bottom of that menu there's a button for enabling a 30 min trial period for that unlockable.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Kinda cool, but still the reward for investment needs some tweaking, having most of the weapons at 1000 cret is lame.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    really fun game

I wish they put an afk-check on galaxies though, alot of the time people get out because they think the driver is afk but theyre just waiting for 3 more people
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Lets look at league of legends, on average you can afford get a new champion in 15 hours played, or one of the most expensive in 45 hours. And there's free stuff that changes every week!

I'd be happy if I got a gun upgrade or ability or cosmetic item after 20 hours, and something really cool after 45 hours. 80 hours just to get something that I may not like is insane.
    Planetside sounds like a good concept but the stats in this quote sound truly terrible, if I played diablo3 and only got a new set of armour every 15 hours then I would have completed the entire game before getting any new armour, I could complete call of duty TWICE in that time. I personally really really dont like free to play/freemium games, feels like a waste of human life, a good way to make money though.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

And you paid $60 for COD - that's 60000 station cash. Upgrades are paid with certs only, you can't use money to buy a scope or better ammo, NEW guns are paid with certs or cash. All the weapons let you take them for a test drive, the same way you can test drive the champions in LoL. You can honestly only spend about $7 on this game and have a good time.

I can't speak for everyone else but the guns are the least important - the "gear lust" comes from the gun and character upgrades, my goal the last week or so was to upgrade my medic gun to the max, the milestones came at regular intervals and the payoff has been great.

I prefer it to subscription games because it removes the whole pressure of feeling like you wasted money if you only logged in a few hours one month.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    In the long run I think id enjoy planetside 2 more if it was $10 a month or a $30-$60 initial pay

Buying a game and knowing you have access to everything in it feels really good, I don't like breaking out the wallet for just a new gun. Id rather feel like my money went to a whole new game in my library and I always have access to it, not some free to play game I got into and bought a few items and have nothing to show for it.