Home General Discussion

I keep changing my mind.

Yo there. as i said in previous thread, i am going to attend IAnimate for Animation, i still can't decide from Animation and Modeling, i have tried both of them, but nothing fancy no professionally.

I do luck Both, i want to mode my own characters, and animated them, but i also want to focus on Animation, getting characters in life is so much fun.

I searched for both of them, and its really awesome when i see, awesome sculpted character/creatures, for in game/cinematic or VFX. But it's also awesome when i see stunning animated, creatures/characters. I want to do both, but, i cant decide which one to start first, and the second to learn when i got a job or something.

Or i should focus on one thing and stick to it?

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Messiano wrote: »
    Yo there. as i said in previous thread, i am going to attend IAnimate for Animation, i still can't decide from Animation and Modeling, i have tried both of them, but nothing fancy no professionally.

I do luck Both, i want to mode my own characters, and animated them, but i also want to focus on Animation, getting characters in life is so much fun.

I searched for both of them, and its really awesome when i see, awesome sculpted character/creatures, for in game/cinematic or VFX. But it's also awesome when i see stunning animated, creatures/characters. I want to do both, but, i cant decide which one to start first, and the second to learn when i got a job or something.

Or i should focus on one thing and stick to it?

Seems like you already know the answer to your own question.
  • Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12
    Its going to be very difficult to get a reasonable income in animation now that so MANY people are coming out of animationmentor, ianimate etc every year. You're going to have a lot more career/financial success if you specialize in pipeline/programming because there is a real demand in that area.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Theres a crapton more modellers out there than animators.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah. Jobwise I would still think Animators are much more sought after?
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    It depends on your employment goals. If you plan on working for large companies then your best bet is to specialize in one.

Don't worry too much about which currently has the best job outlook, the job market changes quite rapidly. The most important thing is practicing a lot to become a great artist, and reaching a level where your skills are sought after for.

Just make sure you practice like crazy, if you haven't yet, make a scene and animate it. You have to keep busy and don't rely on school to get you where you want to go.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    suggesting programming to someone who is interested in the art side is a bit ridiculous - you might as well suggest accounting, that has even more demand.
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    This is where I was at a while ago, and ultimately ended up on modeling; I found myself preferring beautiful environments/characters/props/etc over beautiful animations.

Don't pick something for job security. Sure the most secure would probably be a technical artist/programmer, but if you have no desire for that position it's pointless. You'll burn out or be stuck with a miserable job.

Animation wise, market saturation is nothing to worry about. AnimationMentor and iAnimate may be pumping out hundreds/thousands of students every couple years, but do you think they are all good? No. Only a few. Same for any other art career.
  • Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12
    suggesting programming to someone who is interested in the art side is a bit ridiculous - you might as well suggest accounting, that has even more demand.

Actually....programming maya/3d apps requires a huge amount of 3d "art" knowledge and 3d theory. Comparing this kind of work to accounting is out of line.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    I was in the sames position as you as well, and I chose to go for animation in school. Through a twist of fate I ended up modeling at my first job and realised that, for games, I liked modelling much more.

For me it was an eye opener when I actually got into the industry. Animation in games for me didn't hold any of what I wanted from animation. I realised I wasn't interested in just animating short cycles of actions like someone reloading, someone running or someone ducking into cover. If I was going to animate I realised that the sort of animation I wanted was only available in movie production.
    That's only for me, and tons of people love animating for games. But for some dumb reason I didn't realise the differences.

So, in the end I'm glad I accidentally ended up modelling.

I'll say this though, it's really hard to find GOOD animators. If you get very good at animating (and this is assuming equal love between modeling and animation) you'll be very desirable. Most animation reels I see of people applying are just not up to par, even if they've attended animation mentor.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi wrote: »
    Actually....programming maya/3d apps requires a huge amount of 3d "art" knowledge and 3d theory. Comparing this kind of work to accounting is out of line.

I'm not comparing it to accounting, he can't decide between modeling or animation and you suggested programming. So if pay and a high demand are all that matters, accounting is typically listed as one of the jobs with highest demand for people.
  • Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not comparing it to accounting, he can't decide between modeling or animation and you suggested programming. So if pay and a high demand are all that matters, accounting is typically listed as one of the jobs with highest demand for people.

Ok whatever. Im not going to argue anymore since you are a mod and I value my account :poly121:
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok whatever. Im not going to argue anymore since you are a mod and I value my account :poly121:

banning someone who disagrees with me would be immature and unethical.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13

I think you're trying to say "technical artist" or "rigger" and you keep saying programmer instead.
  • Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    I think you're trying to say "technical artist" or "rigger" and you keep saying programmer instead.

I rig. I program python/c++ a ton as well. TA/programmer can be synonymous terms in many respects.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Out of line lol. What you are describing is a T.D. Probably one of the most saturated departments in the industry.
  • Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12
    Andreas wrote: »
    Out of line lol. What you are describing is a T.D. Probably one of the most saturated departments in the industry.

Not really.:poly124:
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, you sure showed me!

You should talk a little less and listen a little more, you might actually learn something kid.
  • Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12
    Andreas wrote: »
    Well, you sure showed me!

You should talk a little less and listen a little more, you might actually learn something kid.

Im over 30 and a professional.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    banning someone who disagrees with me would be immature and unethical.

Awesome.:poly136:
    Im over 30 and a professional.

I slip up to, those that catch me acting a fool know, it happens, damn my human nature I want to be Mr. Perfect!
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Dear OP,

Your post is something I usually try to avoid, because I think people should really learn to weigh up their own decisions (you're going to need this skill a HELL of a lot in both anim and 3D art).

However, it looks like you've not really been given any great advice to reach a conclusion. So:

Both of the areas of game dev you're looking at learning are related - You're best knowing some animation in order to be able to model a character well, for deformation, edgeloops, etc. You're also best knowing some modelling to do animation, for purposes of rigging, tweaking the model, and knowing the workflow and terminology used for character creation (You will need to be communicating with a character artist at some point, most likely).

For the sake of arriving at a decision and taking the leap, I'd say for you to do modelling first, and then do animation. Modelling comes before animation in the pipeline usually, and you'll benefit from it when doing your animation course.
  • Messiano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. It's good to see that i am not only one with this problem:)
    I think i am not to smart to be programmer:) It's way to logically for me, and coding isn't place to be.

I really want to create stunning and breathtaking character/creatures, environments, props, vehicle etc. But, i really want to "give" them life, to do something, to make something.

I don't understand of movie production animation and game.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It will take time. It took me about 1/2 years to really 'get' CG. For it to be second nature.

There is also nothing wrong with going down the Technical Artist/Director route, unless you are averse to rigging and a bit of scripting. There you would get to do some modelling and animation, that field really varies, you are called upon to do all sorts of stuff.