Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Victorian couch WIP

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
Working on a victorian couch as a portfolio piece. Thinking about making the pattern in the seats with ndo2 or something.

HP_1.jpg

HP_2.jpg

Replies

• Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remade pretty much the whole thing and it turned out better

new.jpg
  • chakkrit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you gonna sculpt any detail in to this? Fabric patterns and material texture on the cushioned parts would look awesome. Maybe scratches and things on the wooden frame/legs? Looks good so far.
  • 3Dyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dyan polycounter lvl 13
    You have a noticeable seam right down the middle. Best take care of that.
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have a noticeable seam right down the middle. Best take care of that.

Yeah the other side is just a copy and not stitched up yet.
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chakkrit wrote: »
    Are you gonna sculpt any detail in to this? Fabric patterns and material texture on the cushioned parts would look awesome. Maybe scratches and things on the wooden frame/legs? Looks good so far.

The plan is to have this kinds of detail in the back part of it victiorian.jpg
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started with the back support part of it, took a while until i got a grip on the whole subtool function part. Just sculpted the seat and placed the buttons. Think i might need to give the sections around the buttons abit more attension so they look like the seat goes around the button and not in it.

sofa_buttons.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Great stuff! I have to say it looks more like leather then cloth, though pretty convincing leather. I think it needs more "gravity". Cloth folds in different ways then leather. Keep at it, and take an other matcap ;) That red original is horrible :P
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, yeah i was affraid of that. Need to look into how to change that!
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    Great stuff! I have to say it looks more like leather then cloth, though pretty convincing leather. I think it needs more "gravity". Cloth folds in different ways then leather. Keep at it, and take an other matcap ;) That red original is horrible :P
  • _DeadPixel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking cool; maybe try stepping down a subdivision and using the inflate brush to make the indents a little more "plump". :)
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks fo the tip!
    Looking cool; maybe try stepping down a subdivision and using the inflate brush to make the indents a little more "plump". :)
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tried to get it more to look like fabric than leather!

remade.jpg
  • Felixenfeu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10
    I liked your first sculpt better, lacks of details on the new one.
  • rattlesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    probably buttons can be a bit smaller and even push them a bit more into the cloth, after that maybe start adding the fold detail , really nice progress :), ah oh Hi there btw :)
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    probably buttons can be a bit smaller and even push them a bit more into the cloth, after that maybe start adding the fold detail , really nice progress :), ah oh Hi there btw :)

Yeah probably, anyone know a better way that using sub tools to add the buttons and individually place them. Or if you can scale them all individually?

You mean more fold detail than the first one? Hi there youreself!:)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can use goZ (or is it Zgo?) hand place them in maya.

The main things here is, the buttons should be deeper in, there should be sharp folds between the cushions, smaller detailed folds (more like your first sculpt) and some loose regular folds on top of the cushion bits.
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I knew there was some better way than handplacing them. Thanks
    You can use goZ (or is it Zgo?) hand place them in maya.

The main things here is, the buttons should be deeper in, there should be sharp folds between the cushions, smaller detailed folds (more like your first sculpt) and some loose regular folds on top of the cushion bits.
  • rattlesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah probably, anyone know a better way that using sub tools to add the buttons and individually place them. Or if you can scale them all individually?

You mean more fold detail than the first one? Hi there youreself!:)

ah not as much detail as firt one...maybe some folds really defined here and there comming out from the buttons..to have some depth ones like the reference show, for the placing of the buttons maybe u can try insert mesh? they will end up in a different polygroup so u can manage them separatetly.

I think that if i was modeling this one probably would make holes first where the buttons go, a bit deep ones, then inflate a bit around them to get the feeling right i guess..haha
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is where its at now, worked some more on the folds and buttons and pushed them in some more.

assembled.jpg

back.jpg

frame.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great. Looks much more cloth like. The pattern on the front piece should continue down on the legs to right?
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great. Looks much more cloth like. The pattern on the front piece should continue down on the legs to right?

Thanks! im not sure about that, will try it, used an alpha in projection master on that. it might look shitty. But it will be a better ending to the pattern than what it is now
  • rattlesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! im not sure about that, will try it, used an alpha in projection master on that. it might look shitty. But it will be a better ending to the pattern than what it is now

man did you try using the stitch brushes in zbrush, or using the roll function in it? that way ull be easily adding trim details, and you can generate an alpha for it fairly easy
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man did you try using the stitch brushes in zbrush, or using the roll function in it? that way ull be easily adding trim details, and you can generate an alpha for it fairly easy

No havent used the stitch brushes
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feel pretty much done with the HP. not too sure about the top detail thing is gonna bake well.

update_1.jpg

update_2.jpg

update_3.jpg

Dont know what these blotches are, hopefully not brush strokes. It started painting black when i held down alt for some reason.

update_4.jpg
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    I think most of why it doesn't look like fabric is simply you have no texture on it and you have too much specular. Fabric is a bunch of tiny fibers so light bounces all over the place and has about 0 specular.
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 wrote: »
    I think most of why it doesn't look like fabric is simply you have no texture on it and you have too much specular. Fabric is a bunch of tiny fibers so light bounces all over the place and has about 0 specular.

Yeah it will probably look allot better when i get some texture on it and correct spec
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a new headpiece for the top part which feels allot better than the one before

headpiece.jpg

headpiece_2.jpg

new_1.jpg
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havent updated in a while. Pretty much done with the lowpoly!

lowpoly.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Really nice! Loving that high poly, pretty good work.

I would recommend you revise the polygon density on the legs of the couch lp, loads of little polys in there.
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    Really nice! Loving that high poly, pretty good work.

I would recommend you revise the polygon density on the legs of the couch lp, loads of little polys in there.

Thanks allot! yeah gonna revise it some more!
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was trying to bake a height map but why is is turning out like this. Looks like its hard edges but its not. Probably dont need a hightmap on this section but dont get this?
    seatmess.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I don't see any reason to use a height map here at all. You just need to bake yourself a normal map. I'd cut a bit more detail into the buttoned part of the cushion beforehand though. You could probably get away without doing it, but there'll be angles where it'll be noticeable.

My parents have a couch just like this one. I look forward to seeing it textured.
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my idea was to use disp map or heightmap for the buttoned part.
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I don't see any reason to use a height map here at all. You just need to bake yourself a normal map. I'd cut a bit more detail into the buttoned part of the cushion beforehand though. You could probably get away without doing it, but there'll be angles where it'll be noticeable.

My parents have a couch just like this one. I look forward to seeing it textured.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I've missed the HP update. Looks super! Great job! First of, I think that you should add some stitches to the front, if you do that in PS or ZB is pretty much no difference. Lite [HP], the density of the legs and wooden parts is to high. I would match the wood detail with the cloth part in the front, remove all the edges that's not contributing to the silhouette on that top wooden part, try to match the overall density of the wooden parts with the overall density of the cloth.
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks allot! there are a few stiches i tried getting in the HP there but. You mean the ornamental thing?
    Ah, I've missed the HP update. Looks super! Great job! First of, I think that you should add some stitches to the front, if you do that in PS or ZB is pretty much no difference. Lite [HP], the density of the legs and wooden parts is to high. I would match the wood detail with the cloth part in the front, remove all the edges that's not contributing to the silhouette on that top wooden part, try to match the overall density of the wooden parts with the overall density of the cloth.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the ornament.. And I thought about the displacementmap, it looks like that. It's cause of the lowpoly, try to get it into marmoset, you'll see that it works..
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the ornament.. And I thought about the displacementmap, it looks like that. It's cause of the lowpoly, try to get it into marmoset, you'll see that it works..

so its kind of suppose to look like that?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yep :) Or well, it's to dark.. You can fix that in xnormal when you render..
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I think in most modern engines you're actually going to cause more of a memory hit from the extra texture pass of having the displacement map than by cutting in a few hundred extra polys and just having a normal map.
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Tried it in marmorset but dont get any displacement at all, flat as just with a normal
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What graphics card do you have? And yeah, like Jackblade said, it's not really any point in using real displacement mapping for something like this, parallax bump offset though. Try to put it into the normals alpha and tick parallax offset in marmoset.

An other idea would be to present it in Cryengine 3. The parallax occlusion is pretty rad in there..
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks fantastic! Cant wait for the texture
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got a Geforce 8800 GTS 512, used to have two :(. Now i see it needs DX11 to work, thats that. Parallax didnt add much at all. Does that require DX11 in cryengine too?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's why.. I actually don't know. I don't think so, for tesselation to work it's needed.. Don't know about parallax occlusion though..
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's why.. I actually don't know. I don't think so, for tesselation to work it's needed.. Don't know about parallax occlusion though..

How different is it really compared with marmorset?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The self shadowing parallax? The main thing is that it's self shadowing, it cast shadows. It also occlude it self, meaning that you can's see the other side of a stone for example. It very cool..
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to bake some ambient occlusion but some polys just dont wanna be in it????

wacko.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flipped normals? Flipped UVs? 5-sided polygons? Do a clean up, the box, chack your normal directions and check the UVs with the overlapping thingy turned on.

Btw, the ornament now looks really clunky? Is it the same mesh as the fabric? I would, and I actually just did, keep them as separate meshes, combining them in the export later. Because fabric and wood is so different from each other it will be hard to mimic the right feel for both of them. Also, and I'm talking CE3 perspective here, you can have different detail normalmaps if you split them, play around with the settings for cloth that CE3 have built in and so on.

Do you still trying to figure it out? I'm constantly sitting with it at the moment so just drop a line somewhere and I'll try to help, if you want to ;)
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got something on there, just tried some patterns on so see.

sofaupdate.jpg
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would not put a pattern for the texture. I would just put a flat color and the texture definition
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why would you choose just a color? any specific reasons?
    letronrael wrote: »
    I would not put a pattern for the texture. I would just put a flat color and the texture definition