Home General Discussion

Avengers.

Replies

• ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just saw it last night and while I very much enjoyed it, it still left me with the same almost there feeling that the other Marvel movies had. Hulk was definitely the high point of the film and Ruffalo really got the part right. Excellent Film Crit Hulk piece on just why here.

It'll be interesting to see what the do next too, since they've announced sequels to everything already I have to wonder if they'll take the time to do another set of build-up films or just fastrack A2 based on this ones success.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Why didn't they turn it off in the first place? They tried remember? Iron Man tried to repulse it. They only found out about the fail safe AFTER the scientist woke back up and they also needed Lokis staff.

So yeah they couldn't just turn it off from the beginning.

^^ This. I personally didn't mind the fight at the end, as I felt it was paced very well. Unlike other hero movies where all of a sudden at the end, the heroes can suddenly OHKO every enemy, the heroes were constantly fighting against the odds. Also, there were lots of moments in the fight scenes that really gave a sense of a) power of the heroes individually and b) how the Avengers can work together, which goes to later movies of them as a group.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    artstream wrote: »
    a) power of the heroes individually and b) how the Avengers can work together, which goes to later movies of them as a group.
    One of my favorite parts that illustrates this was when Cap and Iron Man are fighting side by side. You see them each knock out a few enemies and then they turn towards each other and Iron Man repulsors Cap's shield so it reflects and takes out a group of enemies.

Yeah. Repulsors. It's a verb now.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Did anyone stay till the VERY end of the credits. Not just the part with

Thanos
    ??
    Shwarma, anyone? :D
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    slipsius wrote: »

Thanos
    ??
    Yep, and I thought that was hilarious. That was actually shot after they wrapped the movie. Nice little way to end the film :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    artstream wrote: »
    ^^ This. I personally didn't mind the fight at the end, as I felt it was paced very well. Unlike other hero movies where all of a sudden at the end, the heroes can suddenly OHKO every enemy, the heroes were constantly fighting against the odds. Also, there were lots of moments in the fight scenes that really gave a sense of a) power of the heroes individually and b) how the Avengers can work together, which goes to later movies of them as a group.

yeah man, and there were several parts of the fight when all i could think about was marvel vs capcom combo moves lol.

Ironman's beam + Cap's shield = fucking WIN.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Jackablade wrote: »
    So what's this Thanos chap's deal?
    Thanos is like some uber super mega rediculous marvel villain who's crossovers encompass just about every marvel hero ever created. His big deal is that he is in love with death (literally a female personification) and attempts to woo her by killing half of all the beings in the universe. He also collects the 5 or 6 infinity gems. One controls all aspects of time, the other all aspects of space and matter, one controls souls, and I forget the rest because honestly what more is there. So he gets power over every imaginable thing in existence and outside of existence and he gets beaten some how in a massive team up.

I'm not sure how marvel films will do this, because destructions of reality and un-reality is kind of a step up from 'blow up new york then the world'.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    fuck the spoiler tags:

on Thanos...
    chances are they will simply portray him for what he is (for now), a renegade Eternal. the Eternals being a god like race whos power/technology eclipses that of the Asguardians.

the reason Thanos is a renegade, is because he's technically also a mutant, and is considdered by other Eternals to be a Deviant.

Deviants are eternals who have some form of disfigurement which makes them "unattractive" with regards to natural selection, and makes them outcasts of the Eternals society.

Thanos himself is to other Eternals, what Reed Richards or Tony Stark are to other humans.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Which did you prefer? I'm tempted to go again this week and see it in 3D

I wouldn't bother, to be honest, the 3D wasn't really that great. See it again in 2D I would say.

And PS: It rocks! God, I loved the whole slam breathless loki around part...And the after-fight "fistbump" with Hulk and Thor. ;)
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I was surprised that Hulk had the funniest moments :) I also like the new Banner, the previous Banners (and Hulks) didn't seem to have any humour.

I watched it in 3D but I wouldn't recommend it. I didn't think it enhanced the movie at all, in fact it made certain parts of it difficult to read (but that's probably my fault for "losing" the 3d focus during the action...)

I watched avatar in 3d as well and I didn't even feel that was impressive (but I did notice that it was done substantially better than avengers :p)

Meh, think I'll just stick to 2D in the future. Better (for me) and cheaper!
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Fantastic fun.

the pacing, the characters were all good and I especially liked how every part of the movie felt genuine, the sets and costumes looked real. None of that cheap syfy "it's a secrect base that just happens to look like a warehouse."

The only things I didn't like were how some of the special effects just started to get overblown and messy, the fact that the aliens pretty much looked like bad transformers and GODDAMN MAN CAN'T YOU HOLD A CAMERA STILL!

*edit* and that chick from How I met your mother: she did a good job but whenever she spoke I couldn't get her tv show character out of my head.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Anyone else think sometimes the hulk looked great and other times he looked terrible? I feel like every other shot his face looked retarded.

Overall I like this look the best though. Just the right mix of comic and photoreal.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Snacuum wrote: »
    Fantastic fun.

*edit* and that chick from How I met your mother: she did a good job but whenever she spoke I couldn't get her tv show character out of my head.

Had the same exact reaction to her. Was thinking Robin the whole time and the slew of HIMYM jokes.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    This movie wasn't as good as everyone's banging it to be.

It's better than most of the crap coming out though so that's a step up.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    slipsius wrote: »

Thanos
    ??

The film was released in Europe a couple weeks before you guys, so that part wasn't there for us.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Wait there's another bit after the credits in the Yankee release? Want to clue us in on what happens?
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Wait there's another bit after the credits in the Yankee release? Want to clue us in on what happens?
    It just shows the Avengers, still in costume, eating in a small restaurant. Presumably the shawarma place. Nobody talks in this scene, you're really not missing anything too exciting, it's just kinda funny.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Anyone thought the whole "guy playing Space Invaders" was kinda out of place?
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    McGreed wrote: »
    I thought it was funny. Specially after Stark asks if Nick Fury has to turn every time to see both screens and claims it to be exhausting. haha I think those kind of jokes are what made the movie transitions a lot of fun.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

not really, because:
    Stark comments that there's a guy playing a game, who thought nobody would notice, but that he did.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Eh.. no. I just thought it was funny. Plus it humanizes those shield agents somewhat, makes them seem more like characters instead of just mindless robots looking at computers that are just there to fill up background space.

Also it was Galaga.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I probably could have done without seeing a cut screen to him, but didn't bother me much. I would have preferred if it was visible as Stark walked up, and then saw him hide the game.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I thought it was really funny; cause a guy who is supposed to be keeping the ship in the air is actually playing Space Invaders.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I thought it was funny, because you don't know if stark is serious or just amking a joke when he says it. So when you see the guy after it's like a tiny reveal :3
    Yozora wrote: »
    I watched it in 3D but I wouldn't recommend it. I didn't think it enhanced the movie at all, in fact it made certain parts of it difficult to read (but that's probably my fault for "losing" the 3d focus during the action...)
    Meh, think I'll just stick to 2D in the future. Better (for me) and cheaper!

I agree, the 3d was good in all the CGI bits (obv.) and ok in most of the 'sets' but all of the outdoor scenes where a mess. I spent the first act of the film blinking until they transitioned to the SHIELD sets later.

After the film I tore up my friends and my 3d glasses and swapped the lenses around. Next 3d release: I have 2d glasses B)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was "GALAGA"
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was suprised how funny and entertaining the movie was. I laughed my ass off couple of times :D
    Nice effects, funny dialogue and all around great movie.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    It was "GALAGA"

Get off my lawn!! :D;)

Scarlett-Johansson-Avengers-3.jp

Can't blame the guy.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    good read for sure, and he's right.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    where were the avengers actually going in the helicarrier btw? I was a bit confused why they needed it other than 'it's a cool location'
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    rooster wrote: »
    where were the avengers actually going in the helicarrier btw? I was a bit confused why they needed it other than 'it's a cool location'

I just thought that was their new/current/temporary base, since the other one blew up.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hm, so why not just leave it in the ocean? and why did they bother to make it invisible only for it to be fully visible when loki came to find them?

sorry, can't help picking at it :) I enjoyed the movie a lot. Just puzzled by some bits..
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually wondered the same. Why bother flying it up, other than it added drama later. The only reason it became visible later, I think, was when the this was damaged, or to allow that plane to land.

And I agree with the assessment in that article. I thought it was odd, how easily Loki gave in to returning to asgard. And the grin on Thanos, does kind of support what he was saying. He didn't seem upset, but rather glad that they were defeated.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    "would be to court death" would have a lot to do with his grin, too.

bearing in mind his infatuation...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That article blew my mind, I reckon he's spot on, thanks for linking.
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool article.
    The alliance with chitauri seemed forced. If they won on earth they prolly would help to take over Asgard. They lost, bad alliance gone and Loki's back in Asgard. Win-win.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    The whole plan wasn't for Loki to take over earth but for Loki to prove that earth was a great place to battle, and a worthy opponent for Thanos. Earth being a cosmic battle ground is a huge win for Loki because it will distress his half brother to no end, keeping him off his game. Very well played!