Home General Discussion

Fez

Replies

• Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    It's interesting reading the different opinions of the game. I was really amped for this game when I first heard about it, but I think some of the reviews from here have potentially scared me off.
    I'll probably still pick it up and give it a go myself.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's interesting reading the different opinions of the game. I was really amped for this game when I first heard about it, but I think some of the reviews from here have potentially scared me off.
    I'll probably still pick it up and give it a go myself.

are you a fan of Cave Story? It doesn't play like cave story but I've seen a lot of people compare the two, I think it's because they both have that similar quality of being a breath of fresh air that only comes out once in a blue moon.
  • Rob Macko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rob Macko polycounter lvl 6
    If you were amped for this game, you should def pick it up. I really do recommend it, seriously don't be scared :). I played through it once, and will probably head back for the newgame+ to figure out a whole lot of missed secrets and areas. I never spoke to owls! And for as much time I put into the game to beat it, the bright color background change was a very small amount I can assure you and does not ruin the overall experience imo.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It wouldn't hurt to grab the demo, Emil. I'm a bit funny about indi games. I couldn't get into Limbo either and couldn't really tell you why. It wasn't for a lack of going back and trying.

Binding of Isaac, on the other hand, I think I clocked 80 hours and will no doubt go back for more once the Wrath of the Lamb makes an appearance.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    There being dubbed trixels.

optimally-sexy-2.png

"So there you have it. Trixels are voxels, but with some special properties, a special (simpler) triangulation algorithm"
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I've been irked by pretentiousness and how the developer acted in response from winning that indie award. Probably not going to play based on that alone.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    I love this game so far. There's definitely a bit of what the fuck am I supposed to do here, but what I have figured out so far is very rewarding. I also love the music, and I think the dialog is funny and it fits the world.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryswick wrote: »
    I've been irked by pretentiousness and how the developer acted in response from winning that indie award. Probably not going to play based on that alone.

Well, how would you play it anyway, a person of such high standards wouldn't play on a console manufactured under abusive conditions at FoxCon.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    There being dubbed trixels.

"So there you have it. Trixels are voxels, but with some special properties, a special (simpler) triangulation algorithm"

voxel models converted into polygonal models then, I will assume that these tiles cannot deform or change its data in any way from what it originally is.
    Well, how would you play it anyway, a person of such high standards wouldn't play on a console manufactured under abusive conditions at FoxCon.

I think it's more worrying that a highly regarded indie developer is platform-locked by a publishing deal by microsoft.

Which is fine, except it goes against the whole independantly publisher freedom and then the fact that they're being very vague and dodgy when it comes to subject.
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    leveldesign for this must hurt
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen it listed in several places (most notably IGN) that Fez is to be released on PC. Is that not correct?
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    leveldesign for this must hurt

My thoughts exactly, ahah. What an amazing game.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I've seen it listed in several places (most notably IGN) that Fez is to be released on PC. Is that not correct?

It's a timed deal, which means it'll be 360 exclusive for a bit.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought Phil out right said that there wasn't going to be a PC release (thus pissing off more people) he also said he doesn't care if it would sell more copies, he's not doing it for the money.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    o-okay?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pointing out the silliness of people boycotting a game because one of the devs was rude online but still playing on consoles that were manufactured at a factory that works it's employees so hard they commit suicide.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I read somewhere that the proportion of suicides to total employees at FoxCon was the same as suicides to total population in China. That is, not actually that high.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Foxconn suicides - or at least the documented cases when the whole shebang was going on - were even lower than U.S. average. Not saying the work conditions are okay (because they're not), but it doesn't really drive them to suicide. Sure, a bunch of them then (while it was topical) said they would commit suicide en masse, but none of them actually did so.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My mistake, Phil Fish is worse than Foxcon.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Their second serious satirical game review, it actually points out a lot of points that my friends noted about the game (I still have yet to play it)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Ifue2xGFY"]THE BEST GAMERS - Fez Review (360) [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I'm pointing out the silliness of people boycotting a game because one of the devs was rude online but still playing on consoles that were manufactured at a factory that works it's employees so hard they commit suicide.

That's the "there's always something worse" argument though.
    Which always stands true, whatever someone says or suggests, there's always something worse.

He always gets his opinions twisted in a way that hypothetically any "thank you" could turn into "fuck you" except he really meant thank you.

People don't want them to release a pc version so they can make more money, they want a pc version because they as fans want to play that game when they might not have a 360, saying that he is not being interested in a pc version is the worst kind of pr, you're essentially saying that your potential customers does not matter, and that it's all about personal preference.

The essential skill of keeping people happy and having a good public relation is pretty important, it's what makes people like tim schafer so lovable.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    I talked to fish at GDC about a PC release he said he was positive it would happen but that it wont happen for a while.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I talked to fish at GDC about a PC release he said he was positive it would happen but that it wont happen for a while.

Which is a good thing, but once the downsides to publishing exclusivity deals, it probably did help them out financially and technically though.

edit: regardless of what I'm saying though I don't have any problem believing that phil fish is a nice guy as by peoples private experience with him, but he probably should get better at expressing himself publicly.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Ryswick, where do you even start with a review like that... just wow. Theyre so deadpan with their humour, so edgy and witty.
  • Leodido
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Their second serious satirical game review, it actually points out a lot of points that my friends noted about the game (I still have yet to play it)

wow, makes me think of what Giant Bomb said - what if someone just boneheaded through the game and didn't discover any of the deeper puzzles or anti-cubes?

"But if you just collect 32 cubes and "finish" the game, you're barely seeing what Fez actually has to offer. And the puzzles you must solve to get everything else are occasionally inventive, often maddening, and always interesting."

It's pretty crazy that Phil kept the deeper layers of the game a secret, I'm sorry that people who are waiting to play won't have that "mind blown" moment when they realize how deep the puzzles get.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    It's pretty crazy that Phil kept the deeper layers of the game a secret, I'm sorry that people who are waiting to play won't have that "mind blown" moment when they realize how deep the puzzles get.
    Braid did the same thing with the hidden star puzzles, it's actually pretty common to do, with games having easter eggs, extra bosses, new game+, unlockable gamemodes and such. I dont really see how anything you said refuted the claims that the reviewers made.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Braid did the same thing with the hidden star puzzles, it's actually pretty common to do, with games having easter eggs, extra bosses, new game+, unlockable gamemodes and such. I dont really see how anything you said refuted the claims that the reviewers made.

well this isn't the Braid star puzzles, you have to be pretty dense to finish the game without getting at least one anti-cube - the reviewers remind me of people that skip cut scenes on the first playthrough. But I guess it's a parody review where they take the role of knucklehead gamer?

It drives me crazy when people go "hmm, this thing has universal acclaim, so by default I'm going to hate it" a guy at work won't play Journey because of how good the reviews are. Cripes, Journey and Fez are two milestone games this year.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    But I guess it's a parody review where they take the role of knucklehead gamer?
    They're a mostly satirical review group that act as frat boy call of duty players. Every now and then they actually do real reviews such as the fez and minecraft 1.0 ones.

You also haven't refuted any of their points, instead you've been accusing them of not playing the game "correctly" based solely on their act.
    It drives me crazy when people go "hmm, this thing has universal acclaim, so by default I'm going to hate it"

Except its a 10 minute long review pointing out justified flaws within the game.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SM3, Cave Story and Fez, that's the shelf I put it on. Every thread on the internet has the stubborn guy that says "prove to me why I shouldn't hate it" why not just download the demo :P

basically sounds like you formed your opinion before the game was finished and searched for a review that agreed with your preconceptions.

I'm going to see Cabin in the Woods on Friday because my friends have been saying how good it is and it's gotten universal praise, I wasn't really interested before but I'm not going to search out the bad reviews and base my opinion on trailers and commercials.

the only flaws I've found is it occasionally stutters and I had a crash a few times - but what I've heard from other XBLA devs, you don't get alot of QA support or tools from MS, plus the amount of autosaving it does, I never lost much progress.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Like talking to a wall.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    yeah poor justin ;-)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like talking to a wall.

yeah, you're telling me!

honestly, it's your loss man.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I'll side with justin... I dont see much value at all in taking those reviews seriously. It's like a boy who cried wolf situation where they talk utter garbage and you're now fishing for titbits of information and making us defend it.

You're sounding like a relgious nut that takes the stance "you can't explain that though can you..." as some kind of justification for making up shit to believe in.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Yep worth grabbing. There's more to this game than just spinning the world around.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    after listening to the most recent giant bombcast and continuing to fuck around in fez and eventually look at some guides I have to say the hidden side to this game is fucking brain melting. It's not even secret funzie things, it's more like the REAL game is completely hidden from the surface. It's like you have to learn how to learn within its rules and its freaking madening.

No idea if i'm enjoying this or not :poly122:
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    It looks great, sounds great, seems fun ... but the jump mechanics are waaay too stiff for my taste. I know it is by design but still - I want to run and jump ...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    after listening to the most recent giant bombcast and continuing to fuck around in fez and eventually look at some guides I have to say the hidden side to this game is fucking brain melting. It's not even secret funzie things, it's more like the REAL game is completely hidden from the surface. It's like you have to learn how to learn within its rules and its freaking madening.

No idea if i'm enjoying this or not :poly122:

it's like Metroid but instead of powerups helping you reach new areas it's knowledge! mannnnnnnn
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This hidden business sounds somewhat intriguing. Could you throw up an example with spoiler tags of exactly what form they take?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Massive bump, but it's coming to PC May 1st!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/224760/
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Totally worth picking up, one of the standout games of 2012.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    ZacD wrote: »
    Massive bump, but it's coming to PC May 1st!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/224760/

Yessssss! I'll finally be able to play it. Been dodging spoilers for what feels like forever.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm totally buying this on release!
  • curzed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well this isn't the Braid star puzzles, you have to be pretty dense to finish the game without getting at least one anti-cube - the reviewers remind me of people that skip cut scenes on the first playthrough. But I guess it's a parody review where they take the role of knucklehead gamer?

It drives me crazy when people go "hmm, this thing has universal acclaim, so by default I'm going to hate it" a guy at work won't play Journey because of how good the reviews are. Cripes, Journey and Fez are two milestone games this year.

I could see how Fez is interesting and fun, but I'm with your friend about Journey. No matter how many sites or reviews shove it in your face, that game will never look fun and/or interesting to me.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Maybe you should play it? God forbid you give something a chance.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Maybe you should play it? God forbid you give something a chance.

nah, I've changed my mind, I hope the haters never play it because they will just be actively trying to hate it. It's like riding a roller coaster and actively trying not to enjoy yourself.

It is an interesting game to play from simply a design perspective, they hacked the social interaction of online games. I've gone through about 10 play throughs of Journey, so I've played with roughly 20-30 random strangers and I've gotten plenty of messages afterward about how strongly the game effected the other player, instead of the typical 13 year old racial slur fest.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I remember when I played Journey, I was able to play with someone for 80% of the the rode...and near the end of the game
    ..my heart broke when my partner and I started freezing..and slowing down, and then saying goodbye. Ugh. We went through so much together and it ended like that. But then when I flew up to the top of the mountain, and the music was blasting and the sun was bright and the colors were saturated and heavenly, god.. I can't remember the last time I experienced something so beautiful.