Home General Discussion

intuos 5

courtesy of conceptart.org:
TcVO1.jpg
original thread over there
launches on March, 16 (idk if Japan only or international launch)
same 2048 levels of pressure, but with a new design and multi touch

(if anyone here can read Japanese, there're a few posts with some details on the CA board)

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I hope they've taken the time to make the drivers work.. We've had so many problems in work with wacom drivers its insane.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Ooh i have been saving for a lil while for one, might have to put it off until these are out :)
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    I hope they've taken the time to make the drivers work.. We've had so many problems in work with wacom drivers its insane.

^ this. Especially when it looses track of which desktop you're mapped to is very, very annoying.
    Buggy drivers aside, I like the 4th gen wacom, so if there's going to more based on them; bring it. :)
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master

That would be enough to get me to move from an intuos 4 to an intuos 5. Every time I am on a new windows install it's a multiple day process of trying to set up win 7 and the wacom drivers correctly.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Hopefully they fixed the crappy usb ports.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    ZacD wrote: »
    Hopefully they fixed the crappy usb ports.

What do you mean? The actual connection between the lead and the tablet?
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder what those tiny white brackets are marking
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I should have enough saved by then to pick up a new 6x8 for home :D
    My Intuos 2 is getting a bit long in the tooth. Even the rubber grip of the pen has worn away and fell off. I loath it :(
    This new design looks sleek (and thin!), hopefully the pen is as comfy as the Intuos 4's (looks about the same).
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Mathew O wrote: »

WACOM.jpg
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    um, any really new features? the touch thing was the first thing i deactivated on my bamboo.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I'm really confused about why another company hasn't taken up the challenge and made a good tablet. Wacom need a boot up the arse.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not sure what else Wacom can do to make the tablets... better. I mean, they work the way they're intended to work... Sure, there could be driver-related improvements and better pressure curve controls, but in terms of actual hardware improvement? I think the tablets are at their pinnacle, don't you think?
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    What Prophecies said - I've been thinking of upgrading for a while now from my useful but rather limited bamboo thing, but the whole driver thing puts me off.

It's only recently I've managed to get it working consistently under win7, often photoshop would only recognise it as a mouse, losing the pressure sensitive parts.

Would really like to upgrade to get something that has the extra stuff like tilt/rotation that isn't supported on the wacom bambo.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Mathew O wrote: »

Probably the boundary for the pen/touching sensing area. Either the blank area on the right is for scrolling touch gestures, or a place to rest your wrist when drawing so as to not throw off the touch sensing.
    I'm really confused about why another company hasn't taken up the challenge and made a good tablet. Wacom need a boot up the arse.

Very likely Wacom's extensive amount of patents related to tablet technology, along with entrenched brand recognition. I think they have patents on everything from the fact that the pen doesn't require batteries, and can relay complex levels of information, like tilt, rotation, pressure levels up to 2048, etc. solely via RF signal.

So imagine if you had to research and build a tablet, but couldn't make one in any way that would violate any of Wacom's patents, and then had to market it in an arena dominated solely by one monolithic entity.

Prophecies wrote: »
    I'm not sure what else Wacom can do to make the tablets... better. I mean, they work the way they're intended to work... Sure, there could be driver-related improvements and better pressure curve controls, but in terms of actual hardware improvement? I think the tablets are at their pinnacle, don't you think?

They could improve user interaction via the tablet itself, mainly via buttons, displays, and an ability to differentiate between drawing and pen-based gesture actions. Eventually I could see display technology becoming cheap enough at a small scale that all the tablets Wacom sells are the equivalent of Cintiqs, however smaller, thinner, throwing off less heat, and with the option to deactivate/alter the display (alter - for instance, instead of displaying a program, show just grid and ruler lines, french curves, angle assistance, specialty information/guides for drafting, technical drawing, sketching, etc. on a single color background).
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    i like my pen and touch thank you very much
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I have the feeling this will bomb ... it looks very close to the 4, and doesn't seem to add anything. The 4 "seemed" innovative at first but I think most agree than 3 and 2 are better on all front anyways. The only thing that would push me to get a new generation Intuos would be a very innovative pen + finger solution or some kind of e-ink integration but that would require a lot of software development and Wacom's recent driver track record shows that they have no clue what they are doing anymore.

Illusions : I agree with your last paragraph, that's basically all they can do now. But the problem is that it requires a very tight integration with both the OS and the painting software and Wacom, Adobe and MS showed numerous times before that they really aren't working together on these issues - the Vista/7 tabletPC options fiasco is an exemple of that. The way Photoshop doesn't do any kind of post processing on the tablet signal shows that too ...

Pass!
  • AlexLeighton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Wacom has so much stuff patented that it doesn't matter if their tablets aren't really that great, they're the only real option.

I've personally never had any driver issues with my Intuos 4 but I know the Cintiqs at school are a nightmare to get working properly.

As weird as it might sound, I would like an integrated keyboard in my next tablet. I don't know how it would work exactly.. But I could really go for not having to always move my keyboard and tablet around.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex : yeah, the latest drivers usually work great with the latest models. The problems start happening when you have something a little bit older, that is supposed to be supported but isn't really. (Intuos 3 and 2 need to run on a much older driver even tho the Wacom site says otherwise). There are also problems with accessories not fully tested by Wacom - for instance the 24HD Cintiq is running on Intuos4 tech, yet the Intuos4 Art Pen doesnt work properly on it, and so on.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    pior wrote: »
    I have the feeling this will bomb ... it looks very close to the 4, and doesn't seem to add anything. The 4 "seemed" innovative at first but I think most agree than 3 and 2 are better on all front anyways. The only thing that would push me to get a new generation Intuos would be a very innovative pen + finger solution or some kind of e-ink integration but that would require a lot of software development and Wacom's recent driver track record shows that they have no clue what they are doing anymore.

Illusions : I agree with your last paragraph, that's basically all they can do now. But the problem is that it requires a very tight integration with both the OS and the painting software and Wacom, Adobe and MS showed numerous times before that they really aren't working together on these issues - the Vista/7 tabletPC options fiasco is an exemple of that. The way Photoshop doesn't do any kind of post processing on the tablet signal shows that too ...

Pass!

I have had an intuos 1, 2, and 4. By the time I got my 4 the 2 was so heavily used it wasn't a fair comparison. What about 4 is less desirable than something like the 3?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I suppose there is a lot of personal preference involved ... I use a 2 at home (got it used on Ebay something like 6 years ago and it is still in great condition), a 3 at work and gave a 4 a spin out of curiosity recently. I think the 3 is the best overall because of it great surface quality, the 2 is a bit softer and "bouncier" which is good too (the form factor is smaller too which is good for portability), but the 4 really irritates me with the strong grit of the new surface. But again, that's just my personal opinion :)
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    I'd be happy if wacom just issued a driver extension that let me toggle hotkey maps for a single program. :|
  • Futzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex : yeah, the latest drivers usually work great with the latest models. The problems start happening when you have something a little bit older, that is supposed to be supported but isn't really. (Intuos 3 and 2 need to run on a much older driver even tho the Wacom site says otherwise). There are also problems with accessories not fully tested by Wacom - for instance the 24HD Cintiq is running on Intuos4 tech, yet the Intuos4 Art Pen doesnt work properly on it, and so on.
    What problems exist regarding the latest drivers not working well with Intuos 3s? I've always try to keep up with the latest drivers (most notably the last one added a pressure curve editor that works just as it should) for mine and have never had a driver related problem, with the exception of once in a rare while the tablet not being recognized if I don't have it plugged in during boot.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Oh I suppose there is a lot of personal preference involved ... I use a 2 at home (got it used on Ebay something like 6 years ago and it is still in great condition), a 3 at work and gave a 4 a spin out of curiosity recently. I think the 3 is the best overall because of it great surface quality, the 2 is a bit softer and "bouncier" which is good too (the form factor is smaller too which is good for portability), but the 4 really irritates me with the strong grit of the new surface. But again, that's just my personal opinion :)

I think personal preference is definitely the thing here. I personally LOVE the i4. Significantly more so than the i3. The rough grit surface was a big plus for me, and the design of the buttons and the wheel is much better than the strips that the i3 had.

Didn't the i4 introduce 2048 levels of pressure, though? Not that it made much of a difference, if any.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

umm sorry, but blame your OS. mac intuos drivers are flawless and bugfree compared to win, AND we have whack'em:
    XJgsJ.png
    he's cute and animooted too

well some chinese noname manufacturers have been doing i4 knock offs (look through conceptart.org wacom subforum, all there);
    however with any big name brand, it's pointless to step into wacom's market;
    number of wacom's flops over the past year have been growing, but hopefully they're listening to customer feedback (I'm really curious about usb-soldering on those; def. not buying on launch, since my intuos 3 works great, but looking into upgrading later).
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Didn't the i4 introduce 2048 levels of pressure, though? Not that it made much of a difference, if any.

2048 was its main selling feature; there have been software improvements like precision mode and radial menu, all locked to intuos4 and cintiq models.
    I'd be happy if wacom just issued a driver extension that let me toggle hotkey maps for a single program. :|
    I thought you can do it by default?
    idk about intuos4 driver look, with intuos3, under "functions" tab (where you set up your keyboard shorcuts) - by default you have them set up for all programs, and than there's that "+" icon on the right to hand-pick applications.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Pass!

My thought is that Wacom will eventually have to address this, or some other company will take their place. The main question is going to be when, although it doesn't look like it will be with whatever is pictured here.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I never have had a single driver issue with my intuos 3 in Vista. And now, that i use windows 7 with driver pro620-w5, the same, zero errors/issues :S

I only can complain about ati, about my crap of 5770 :D
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, you're been lucky! That shows that their QA process is not thorough enough - they most likely stopped testing when it seemed like the driver was okay on a given config, without collecting beta feedback or trying out more machines!
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    I thought you can do it by default?
    idk about intuos4 driver look, with intuos3, under "functions" tab (where you set up your keyboard shorcuts) - by default you have them set up for all programs, and than there's that "+" icon on the right to hand-pick applications.

I meant multiple hotkey profiles for a single program.

Setting the hotkeys for a default profile, and then one for the actual program is hack-ier than what I meant.

As in 7 of the 8 buttons on an i4 do something completely different within PS for example and one button is the toggle between the mapping within the same program.

Personally I use more than 8 hotkeys for photoshop, and even with radial mapping I'd still prefer more direct hotkeys.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ http://forum.wacom.eu/ - drop your suggestion here. they might listen in the future (however, seeing how rigid wacom are about tech side of things, chances it will end up on the feature list are slim.)
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Agree with driver issues under Windows 7. My Intuos 4 at work has had lot's of problems in that area. My 3 at home has been a bit better though.

One thing that they should all have had by now is wireless as standard. That is one feature that would tempt me to move on from my lovely Intuos 3 wide. Sick of all these wires getting in the way.
  • ikken
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Agree with Pior it's too close to the 4 visually. Looks thinner. But whatever that's not a huge feature.

Can they just announce a 12-15 inch Cintiq without a box o cables that the current 12 uses?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish they'd spend some time on the buttons on the tablet. I like that I can name them and they can be assigned per app and all that but they are annoyingly difficult to press. They should be about the same force required as my keyboard, IMO. As they are, it's not streamlined for me.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    ikken wrote: »
    ^ have you used a wireless intuos yourself?
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3381730&postcount=4

Nope. I suspected that there was a reason I didn't see others using them.
    A wireless Intuos without lag please Wacom?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I love the Intuos4, personally. The pen and surface feel fantastic. Going home and working on my Intuos3 feels very unnatural, like trying to texture with a mouse again, haha.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    http://gizmodo.com/5888496/samsung-takes-on-the-wacom-art-tablets-with-101+inch-galaxy-note/gallery/1

I wonder if this will steal some of the wind out of their sales... personally I doubt it. I don't think the pressure sensitivity will be higher than 512, and the other specs leave a bit to be desired too, especially the RAM. Plus no real apps like ZBrush.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    I also like my Intuos4 :) had bamboo before that and intuos fells a lot better. Same as many people i was really worried about nibs wearing too fast with that new surface but after i changed few i noticed the surface at the areas i use most (center) have become smoother and my nibs don't wear out any more :) I hope they improve the buttons on the side as I also find them pretty hard to press and sometime when in zbrush i would love to be able to not have to reach out for the keyboard and just use the tablet.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I've never had a single drivers issue with any Wacom since Intuos 1. Weird.

Photoshop does load sometimes without recognizing the tablet entirely, but dunno if it's drivers-related.

That aside, the USB connector problem (that's me in that photo ZacD posted) is something I'd like to see fixed. If Apple hadn't patented that damn magnetic USB-connection... our lives coulda been easier.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    http://gizmodo.com/5888496/samsung-takes-on-the-wacom-art-tablets-with-101+inch-galaxy-note/gallery/1

I wonder if this will steal some of the wind out of their sales... personally I doubt it. I don't think the pressure sensitivity will be higher than 512, and the other specs leave a bit to be desired too, especially the RAM. Plus no real apps like ZBrush.

It won't, but thats because the tech Samsung is using for their tablet is made by Wacom. So even if you buy this instead of a Wacom tablet, they are still making money, because you're buying Wacom technology.
  • Fid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fid
    OMG, only decided to finally upgrade to the Intuos4L 3 weeks ago! Wacoms release schedule suggested a 5 was waaaay off. :(
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    ...but the 4 really irritates me with the strong grit of the new surface.

I have noticed this on my Intuos 4. I went from an i2 to an i4 and realized the rough "sandy" surface and I don't like it. I don't even use the buttons on it either, I have all my Photoshop keys specifically bound to my right hand when using my tablet (not my Cintiq).

I also agree that they're kind of hitting a wall at this point. The pressure difference the 2 and 4 was minor, but slightly noticeable. I don't think increasing the levels of sensitivity any further will do anything and I'm the only one I know that uses the buttons on the side of my new 21UX at work.

I think they should be focusing on mastering portable display / tablet devices, like a Cintiq laptop all in one.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Haiasi wrote: »
    The pressure difference the 2 and 4 was minor, but slightly noticeable.

at least you DID apparently notice a difference. i still fail to do it to this day. intuos 1, 2, 3 and 4 all feel the same to me, save for the drawing surface and the shape of the pen. ;)
  • Zephiris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    I have an intuos 1 and 3 and an intuos 4 at work, i wouldn't buy the i4 personally because I don't like the rough surface at all(looks used much quicker, much more sensitive to scratches, *complain complain complain*). Maybe they should consider giving us 2 versions so everyone can be happy? Then again I don't have a reason to upgrade my i3 at home either way unless it ends up breaking someday... there's just no need for an upgrade otherwise.

I'd <3 the idea of a cintiq portable, though I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway ^^'
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those who hate the Intuous 4 surface, I should mention that I bought one of these for work and for home:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041FB176/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details"]Amazon.com: POSRUS Wacom Intuos 4 Medium Pen Tablet Surface Cover: Electronics[/ame]

Makes the surface perfectly smooth and there's no noticeable different in responsiveness.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I think they should be focusing on mastering portable display / tablet devices, like a Cintiq laptop all in one.

Brillant! 15 inch Cintiq without the box o' cables please.
  • Vysuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vysuki polycounter lvl 9
    Curse you polycounters, I've had my intuos 4 and windows 7 for well over a year, never had a problem with either of them, I read this thread and now the drivers died and I had to restart to get it to work =.=

*shakes fist*
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    what i would like to know are the specs of the new intuos 5. Between the intuos 3 and 4 there's only one difference, the pressure levels. Both are bad for fast strokes and are laggy.

I would like to see a report rate superior than 200pps (points per second) and a better lpi. I'm customed to draw with very very fast strokes, and working with the intuos 3 is not as great as working on a paper.

BTW, the differente between intuos 2 and 3 was huge.

I was going to buy a cintiq24HD but i noticed it has lag, damn. In wacom they are selling us the same with a different look.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Blaizer: That's an issue I only get that when working with very large file sizes (and/or very high res). When I work on anything smaller than ~2-3k pixels I have no lag. You still have that lag with a low-res file?
  • Zephiris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    For those who hate the Intuous 4 surface, I should mention that I bought one of these for work and for home:

Amazon.com: POSRUS Wacom Intuos 4 Medium Pen Tablet Surface Cover: Electronics

Makes the surface perfectly smooth and there's no noticeable different in responsiveness.

Thanks for that!
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Blaizer: That's an issue I only get that when working with very large file sizes (and/or very high res). When I work on anything smaller than ~2-3k pixels I have no lag. You still have that lag with a low-res file?

Yep, i still have lag, like painting handpainted textures of 2048x2048. But it's only with very fast strokes. With a pencil i draw a concept in some minutes, but with the wacom i can't make a fast linear stroke :(