Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    wow, awesome! great job.
  • shinobix
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    This is awesome! If Bioware were to make a Final Fantasy Tactics styled game set in the Mass Effect universe for PSN, XBLA, PSP, or DS... They would definitely have to hire you and use your art assets!! Great Job!!!
  • n8lugo
    Offline / Send Message
    n8lugo polycounter lvl 10
    Amazing!! My only complaint..... Where's Legion?!?!
  • Zpanzer
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    haha great stuff, and congrats on getting on Joystiq :-)
  • Vengeance47
    Wow great job man! I love the Liara she is sooo cute! haha XD
  • Ack Master
    love this, beautiful painting, great looking work :)
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    Possibly my favourite thing of all time ever. Incredibly jealous of your texture painting skills.
  • Spacey
  • okimoki
    Offline / Send Message
    okimoki polycounter lvl 7
    Nix wrote: »
    D:

Wow, holy shit. Idunno what to say really, lol.

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words and advice~

You dont know what to say?
    Say thank you.. then give us the models to play with in game engines, to learn from and to make pepakura files out of!!! :)
    But seriously, those are the cutest models around!! :thumbup:
  • Wetterschneider
    Offline / Send Message
    Wetterschneider polycounter lvl 18
    Brilliantly imagined and perfectly executed. Can you see the mob outside your window demanding a tactics style game? How can you sit there and work with all that chanting going on?
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    An SDK release of these would be pretty sweet. I know they'd make some pretty wallpapers for my desktop.
  • johnguydude
    Awesome work, very efficient.

I am curious, what part of your texturing workflow causes the stretching that occurs outside of all your UV shells? [refer to image]

shepStretch.png
  • I Like Feet
    Liara and Tali are so hnnnnnngggg!!

too cute.
  • Nix
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks again to all those who commented. Yeah I've heard a lot of people mention 3D printed figures, a tactics/turn based RPG game, and a LOT of requests for papercraft stuff. I'm still kinda debating whether I should just give out the models. People might see all my ugly little mistakes, lol! And I might just be worrying a little too much about what else anyone might do with them. Any thoughts?

I am in love with these! The textures are beautiful, I totally understand your not wanting to downres. Although tbh they still look excellent at 128.

Could you tell us a little bit about your texturing process? I'm sure others would also love to know a little more about how these were accomplished.

Excellent job!! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Thanks and no problem. : D

Well, there's not too much to say tbh. I guess the most important thing to mention would be that the textures were painted on the model in 3D, for which I used Blender's texture paint mode, but any other 3D painting mode in any other program will do, I think.

Other than that... I like to start with the major color areas (using polygon masking to quickly fill them in), then outline all the important details, and then just keep plugging away at shading and polishing.

Idunno too much about other programs' implementations, but I like how Blender has a bunch of different options for the brush behavior, such as whether or not it should ignore culled backfaces or hidden faces when painting, or whether or not it should perspective-correct the brush. Sometimes, letting the brush paint on culled and hidden faces can be handy to quickly, say, paint a gradient color on a whole limb or a whole character, or a wristband or something, without having to go around and paint the other side as well.

Just be careful not to leave that option on when painting the next thing, or you might end up with an eye on the back of someone's head... :P

Awesome work, very efficient.

I am curious, what part of your texturing workflow causes the stretching that occurs outside of all your UV shells? [refer to image]

shepStretch.png

Thanks!~

Well, when painting on the model, the colors get confined to the outlines of their UV islands, which leads to mipmapping artifacts (colorbleeding along the seams at lower mipmap levels). You can set the brush to bleed a few pixels, but its kinda iffy, doesn't always seem to work well. So what I did was re-bake the texture onto the same model (well, a duplicate with a new texture image, or it won't work for some reason), and set the extend margin around the UV islands to maximum. The extensions of each island will meet nicely in the middle between them. Btw, I learned this technique in a previous thread of mine, from JaqueChoi. :)

So yeah that's what you're seeing. There's stretching in places in the middle too. Some of the UV maps are better than others, heh (Liara's kinda sucks IMO, though in my defense that was the first one I did, before I got into the groove :P).
  • okimoki
    Offline / Send Message
    okimoki polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks again to all those who commented. Yeah I've heard a lot of people mention 3D printed figures, a tactics/turn based RPG game, and a LOT of requests for papercraft stuff. I'm still kinda debating whether I should just give out the models. People might see all my ugly little mistakes, lol! And I might just be worrying a little too much about what else anyone might do with them. Any thoughts?

Us using and crediting you for your models is just a compliment to you on the job well done.. I don't think somebody would actually release a game with your models, but they would serve as a real nice learning tool - for modelers, animators, for use in game engines etc.. its always fun for me to use something like that to put in lets say Unity to test a gameplay with real model instead of a quick stick figure.. The models would eventually be replaced with the real ones of course.
    As for the ugly mistakes, theres aways gonna be somebody that will say "oh, you should split that forearms second loop 0,5% lower!!!" but, they look perfect, and thats all that matters!
    Just my two cents..
    And if you do decide to release SDK, thank you in advance :):):)
  • Nix
  • Lephenix
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    I don't know much about mass effect, but that's really great, it needs it's polycount banner :) .
  • hathol
    Offline / Send Message
    hathol polycounter lvl 6

dude. love this. and the fact that you do such awesome shit in blender.

cudos.
  • SiegePerilous
    Offline / Send Message
    SiegePerilous polycounter lvl 9
    Dear god I feel horrified at how much I want stuffed toys of these to hold and love and hug.

My face would be like this...

:poly122:

...as I snuggled them guiltily.
  • vpcreis
  • Kokusho
    I love your work it's amazing and inspiring.

But I was sad that my favorite character from Mass Effect wasn't there, so I've decided to try and make her myself (as a challenge).
    Here's come EDI, I hope you like her :)
    15_EDI_lowpoly.jpg
  • RaihnForge
    Sooooooo awesome.  I want to learn to do this! :smiley: