Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Garage Redux

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Wesley polycounter lvl 13
Final images:
garageReduxCryEngineWesleyMackinder.jpg

garageReduxCryEngineAlt01WesleyMackinder.jpg

Hullo. Just started a new scene based on a great concept by Eliott Lilly. First time making an environment and also the first time using an engine, so it's going to be fun.

eliottlillyart[dot]com.jpg

The blockout:

blockoutInterior.jpg

blockoutExterior.jpg

Highpoly stuff so far:

highpoly01.jpg

highpoly02.jpg

Trying not to get too bogged down in the detail of my high-poly yet; just getting the majority "there" is kinda a priority. I'm leaving the exterior stuff until I'm happy with the interior. I know my blockouts look kinda glitched, I moved on from the first blockout I did yesterday; so I just used all the high-poly geo without turbosmoothing.

Replies

• SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    I was seriously considering doing this scene but because of uni time constraints I wouldn't have got it done in time!

Blockout looks good as does your high poly stuffs! I look forward to more!
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    There is a lot you could do modularly to save texture memory and possibly perf.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    @Computron - yeah although I've got everything in the scene high-poly, basically all the windows, girders and connecting... things, are going to be duplicated in the low-poly/UVs. With the walls I'm going to have them referencing one or two sides. I could split the wall up more and just use a tileable texture; but I wanna take the walls into zBrush and bash them up a little.

Small update:

highpoly03.jpg

Not sure whether that area on the right should have the same kinda walls or concrete.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking cool :) Reminds me of rage. Can't wait to see it progress, Will definitely follow !
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Looking good. Looks like you're gonna have quite a lot of assets to do though :)
    Are you gonna do the vehicle as well?
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm leaving the vehicle till last. Interior>Exterior>Vehicle. It's for a uni assignment so if I run out of time I can stop at whatever stage I get to and can hand something in, then finish it off.

I'm pretty confident that if I knuckle down I can get it all done though... maybe. :poly122:
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so I re-jigged some of the space because it was off in some areas.

highpoly04.jpg

The front entrance is still narrower than it is in the concept. Not sure whether to lower the height and widen it or leave it as is.
  • shawnell3d
    you're going to make me jizz
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    thats a nice start!
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so I was tied up with uni work but I'm back on this now. Just sorting out proportions a little better and blocking out some of the larger objects in the scene.

highpoly05.jpg
  • LW3
    I'm sorry, but I have problems with the original Lilly image that you'll need to fix in order for us to remain on speaking terms.

The gate bothers me. A gate of that type has to be held in place with rails. There are no rails for the gate, it's just hanging there. Theoretically, if the gate was down, you could simply push it inward and squeeze into the building.

Not that you'd have to do that anyway because the doorway has no door. I've considered the possibility that it might be an "out-ty" door, but the geometry doesn't work. If the gate keeps intruders from driving off with the car, a door keeps the car from ending up on cinderblocks.

I also have a problem with any "garage" that doesn't have a lift to elevate the car so you can work underneath of it. Look how low that car is to the ground. And this isn't a racetrack -- as evidenced by the guy standing on top of the gas pump manning the howitzer -- so I'm thinking it's more of a mechanic shop in a post-apocalyptic high-gas-price city. It needs a lift.

So just to recap -- rails, door, lift... we can be friends; floppy, nothing, smooth... I will post a scowling unhappy face.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, I've thought about a couple of those things. The front gate thing does bother me a little bit, I was thinking of adding some railings for it to follow.

As for the lift thing - I wasn't too worried about that right now because it's been left until last. However, I was thinking of implementing something along the lines that is in another of Lilly's concepts:

garage.jpg

And lastly the door - originally I wasn't going to include it at all in case I didn't have time to finish the outside, so I wouldn't need to worry about seeing that area. I changed it and added it though because the image felt off in that area. I'll have to figure out some kind of suitable door for that area.

Thanks for the feedback man!
  • LW3
    Sure thing.

Actually, this new image isn't another Lilly concept -- it's a redo with several corrections and changes. I'm sure Lilly has a prick friend like me who likes to run his or her mouth.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you sure? It's from his website. It's got a lot of similar elements, I just presumed it was from the same world/universe.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so I've been blocking some stuff out more and been creating some of the assets.

blockoutInterior01.jpg

highpoly06.jpg

lowpoly01.jpg

Some of these lows will change when baking, and some of the highs will be sculpted for dents etc.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Wow :poly142: Solid!!
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so I've been trying to break the back of this. High-poly and low-poly modelled most things needed. Still not assorted things how they should be, but I'll be doing that in-engine. Some scaling is still off with some assets.

I've baked some of the main structure pieces, such as the large metal... things, girders and the door/rims. I added in the pit, door (although I'll probably have the door open) and sections for the front shutter so LW3 will still be my friend. I did want add in that fancy lift, but it obscured too much stuff.

Anyway, images!

cryEngine01.jpg

highpoly07.jpg

lowpoly02.jpg
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I've finished faffing about with baking my normals and getting everything messed up and wrapped round my neck. Time to start texturing this.

garageReduxCryWesleyMackinder.jpg
  • Donavonyoung
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    Wow it is looking really nice so far. Can't wait to see more progress!
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Everything is looking good, nice job of getting rid of any errors.
  • Finalstraw
    Looking nice man.

The pillars look a bit bare, as do the upper supports, I'm sure texture can cover that as the concept is a bit blurred on those areas.

Is this going to be viewed from any other angles?
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    The interior has been mostly been made for this one-shot. With the other angle being outside. However there is room for more than one interior shot, I have built in some other assets that would probably be there in the garage.

cryEngine03.jpg
  • HandSandwich
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Been lurking on this thread but it's coming along great, man. Very inspiring. Reminds me a bit of the garage in Rage which was one of my favorite setpieces.
  • Macattackk
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    nice dude, are you planning on making that crazy car too? be sure to get some interesting texture on the windows and diffuse the lighting so the shadows arent as harsh and distracting.

check these settings out for CE if youre interested too viewtopic.php?p=316529#p316529
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for the comments. The car and exterior are going to be completed, but for now I'm just concentrating on finishing the interior, then taking a little break from it (have to hand in some uni work) before coming back.

Thanks for the link Macattackk! I'm sorting out some of the general colour/lighting and stuff right now, so that's super useful, cheers.
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Loving the modeling so far! Can't wait to see it textured!
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a small update - trying to sort out lighting and general colour.

cryEngine04.jpg

Need to do something with the windows because they'd affect the lighting a lot.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so I unexpectedly had to do a bunch of written work since my last post. Started work on texturing this today.

cryEngine05.jpg

Also the textures, which are pretty rough at the moment. Not too much localised detail going on, and some stuff not very well placed. But no point in hiding them.
  • Darkmaster
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    Great start here!! What a beautiful concept as well!! Already the space is feeling believable. Keep it up
  • Donavonyoung
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    I really think that you should go with color spec, not just grayscale. It can really add that little extra to help make these textures pop.
  • e-freak
    good work so far! on the textures i'd suggest looking into uv-reusage though. your textures seem to hold a lot of information that probably doesn't need to be unique (or could be uniqui-fied with decals) and you'd save texture space and probably get a faster progress that way.
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Do you have an active cubemap in there? If you're missing the IBL you can get from CE3, you're missing all the kool stuff.

It's getting together pretty well that is.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the feedback guys! Cube-maps! Why haven't I put one in yet?! Completely forgot about using one.

I've been finishing up some weapons this weekend, but I'll have a chance to work on this more during the week.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so this ended up getting left for ages while finishing uni. Start back on this yesterday. Worked on how I might do the lighting, then rolled that back for a more neutral scene while I worked on some texturing. Most of the textures are tiled, so I'll be using a bunch of decals to add interest. Nice to be working on it again though.

garageReduxCryENGINE.jpg
    cryEngine08.jpg
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    It's disheartening to see how long ago I started this, and to see the large gaps in my progress. I'm still finishing this though. I've been keeping track of how long I've actually spent on it and it's really not been that long.

After starting back on it last month I've had a few technical issues, monitors straight up breaking, no internet and some really odd issues with the engine; and I'm also in the process of moving. I decided that seeing as I hadn't made that much progress in terms of texturing to at least correct the mistakes I'd made. So I went back and fixed a whole bunch of stuff and started with a new scene in 3.4 (I had some odd issues with the old scene coming from 3.3.8 to 3.3.9 to 3.4). Anyway, images yeah?

cryEngine09.jpg

cryEngine10.jpg

cryEngine11.jpg

cryEngine12.jpg

cryEngine13.jpg

cryEngine14.jpg

cryEngine15.jpg
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    Looks forcefully good, pretty close to the aspect of the original. good work
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    I'm freaking jealous, I want to see more!!
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
  • tombombadil
    This Is coming together very nicely! I can see this has lots of potential, but so much amazing detail to go >.< I cant stand it! Haha! Keep up the work good sir.
  • e-freak
    Try to up the Texture Resolution on that Workbench. (Either Tile the UV more or at least use Detail Normalmaps) :)

Great progress though! Looking forward to seeing the entire environment!
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys. I've worked on that part a little more. I'm concerned that the map will initially look like some random material/surface of the work bench and not a map. I might use a coloured topo map instead of a contour map.

cryEngine22.jpg

cryEngine23.jpg
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed the map a little and tweaked the board. Added the toolbox.

cryEngine24.jpg
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Models are looking ace. Nice work.
    Off the concept it looks like the lighting will be the toughest thing to do...do it well and this will turn out great!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Hurry up I want more!
  • Felixenfeu
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10
    Can't wait to see more. You've done an insane amount of job here. Awesome work, your asset pieces are well executed.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. Managed to squeeze in some more assets in-between a day of feeding parrots and playing with a puppy.

cryEngine25.jpg

Trying to figure out what that water-type thing is near the stairs. Can't decide between a fountain or hand-wash basin. Odd coloured water.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd guess a computer terminal, the "screen" is the same colors as the other screens.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Huh... never thought of it being a computer terminal. That probably makes more sense. I always thought it was kind of odd to have a wash-basin/cleaning station. Doesn't seem to fit with the rest of it being dirty and what not.
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Overall it looks good, and it is obvious you are putting a lot of time and hard work into this project. However I feel there were some missed opportunities here to really expand on the concept and ground the work. You missed many chances to create more interesting and more functional looking girders,beams, and structural connections. It seems like you jumped into texturing before those things should have been considered done and as a result there is an unfinished quality to a lot of the modeling. Not sure if you have the inclination, interest or energy to go back and take another stab at it.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man cheers for the feedback. In terms of the structural pieces, I was just following the concept. But since going back this latest time and separating the low-poly out into individual pieces with their own UVs, going back and making those kinds of changes wouldn't be a big problem. For nowI'm going to truck on with texturing the already-made assets, and then when I put this together have a look at adding and changing the structural stuff. Cheers again!