Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Garage Redux

Replies

• Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    cryEngine25.jpg

Some new assets. Changed the map again on the work bench. The computer terminal, I totally changed to a wash basin, and I'll use a solid for the water.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Herp, derp. I posted the old image in my last post. It was meant to be this:
    cryEngine26.jpg

Anyway, put it back together again. Obviously no lighting and a bunch of stuff needs doing. But nice to have it together again.

cryEngine27.jpg
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a small update. Still no decals or lighting.

cryEngine29.jpg
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great update. lighting could be even more contrasty (all objects should be casting darker shadows)

it's great to see it all come together :)
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I've got kind of an issue with the door grating. Not so much that it doesn't match the concept - i prefer yours, but it's a HUGE attention grabber. I don't know if you plan on drawing it up like in the concept and putting some objects outside or not..you could consider breaking a few of the boxes and making some interesting shapes, too.
    and the supports on the right intersecting with the corner on the ceiling keeps jumping out at me as well.
    Rockin on, wes.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit guys. I guess you could call this phase 1 of the project, I do plan on doing an outside for the scene and then rolling that door up. After that I do plan on making the vehicle as well. I had the terrain not drawing earlier which may have made it seem weirder. Not too sure what to do with those support things jutting into the ceiling.

cryEngine31.jpg

Might have made it too contrasty...
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I love this, very few critiques, if any. I really like this. Some of your UVs look stretched, the workbench for example. Glad you're finishing this up man.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryEngine33.jpg

I think just having that little thing there on the corner helps. Dunno really where to go from here. Apart from working on the outside.
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    The scene is coming on nicely and its great to see your progression however I feel like there are several things that could be done in order to further improve the scene:

1: My biggest issue at the moment is the lighting, its difficult to tell what direction the sun is coming from, there are several reasons for this:

- The god rays are almost cone shaped rather than flowing in a set direction
    - The sky lights are probably too bright, which is causing them to look like there actually lights rather than windows
    - All of the sky lights are the same brightness but you really want to tailor each one based of the direction of the sun, i.e the ones over the right side of the garage will allow less light to pass through them
    - The general lighting is abit flat, try placing low intensity point lights in key areas just to vary up the scene alittle. for example I'd put point lights infront of the windows so the surrounding area is slightly brighter.

2: You need to do a pass of your textures where you balance them so there roughly within a certain range. This will help bring everything together and allow the light to bounce around your scene more naturally

Hopefully that helps, Really liking some of the assets you've created.

If you want me to better explain anything I've said, feel free to send me a PM. Good luck mate and I'm looking forward to seeing this finished
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man cheers for the crit! Lots to work on there. The only thing I'm not too sure about is the texture pass, in terms of what is too bright/dark, but I'll do some reading/figure that out. Thanks man!
  • Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lost-Artist89 polycounter lvl 10
    hey there, this is looking reallly really nice so far. i agree with the lighting/direction so far though. have you considered instead of having your mesh opening at the back, walling that up completely with maybe some cool garage door. this would help give you more light direction and you could also play with adding some cool designs to the door like a logo or slogan. i would also close off one or two sections of those windows to let less "orange" light in, and replace it with maybe an electric blue light source (only a little though not too distracting) so you could have your "dappled" bright orange lights illuminating the important bit in the middle, and abit of bluey/greeny fill to give a nice colour contrast

just an idea, feel free to ignore :)

awesome stuff though, youve made some great progress keep going :)
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    Wesley wrote: »
    Hey man cheers for the crit! Lots to work on there. The only thing I'm not too sure about is the texture pass, in terms of what is too bright/dark, but I'll do some reading/figure that out. Thanks man!

If you look on this article on UDN, and scan down to the subsection labeled 'Making Lighting Noticeable' it will kind of explain what I meant by balancing all your textures

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Lightmass.html

Hope it helps :)
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that link dude, helped clear it up. Also I'm not going to lie Lost-Artist, I kinda got lost during that post. What did you mean by opening at the back? Do you mean the left-hand side?

So changes were made based on feedback, looks a lot more natural I think.

cryEngine34.jpg
  • Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley wrote: »
    Thanks for that link dude, helped clear it up. Also I'm not going to lie Lost-Artist, I kinda got lost during that post. What did you mean by opening at the back? Do you mean the left-hand side?

So changes were made based on feedback, looks a lot more natural I think.

cryEngine34.jpg

no worries mate, sorry i should have been more clear....

directly in the center of your image, you have like a wire mesh door right at the back of the garage looking directly onto the horrizon/nothingness...

block this up with some cool shutter door as if it was a real garage to let cars in and out. the wiremesh seems abit strange with everything else being so chunky and heavy, needs a big door to match

thats just my 2 cents, might work might not.... i just feel the image has too many points of focus but nothing really "that special" so a door with a logo/slogan would be your main focus (unless you intend to put a vehicle in the center on the lift)
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I see! Yeah I think you're correct in terms of no single area that shines. Eventually there will be a vehicle there though. The wired shutter does look a little odd, but I plan on having it drawn up slightly and some scenery. Even though I'm saying that the interior is "done" (will probably end up changing it), I'm not actually finished with this scene overall though.

Thanks for the feedback and crit man!
  • Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my pleasure keep up the great progress
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, looks pretty sweet what you have come up with :)
    Although this is my personal opinion I think it is a bit to saturated especially on the yellow orange parts, also I think a cooler color on the other side might give the picture some contrast and depth.
    So here is my paintover.
    9suzj.jpg
    Looking forward to you get the vehicle in there, will be awesome ;)
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    soon as i saw garage in the title, and those curvy lines in the garage, first thing that popped in my mind was indeed eliott lilly. great choice, congrats.

its coming along nicely, and its to be honest quite a challenge to keep up to his concepts... ive had a rough time hehe

but keep up the good work, its coming along nicely. suppose the hardest time is gonna be the lighting :S
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I feel silly resurrecting this thread once again. But I have been dabbling and tweaking a little when I found free time. I probably will just be leaving this alone now though, I should concentrate on a new environment. Hopefully when I do that I'll put more energy into it than just dabbling.

Thanks for all the help and crit given in this thread. Especially that paint over, made me realise just how over-saturated the original lighting was. Overall I'm feeling okay with this, the amount of interruptions I had while making it (working on different projects, finishing uni, moving 3 times and getting a job) and the amount of stuff learnt through this is insane though.

ANYWAY!

garageReduxCryEngineWesleyMackinder.jpg

garageReduxCryEngineAlt01WesleyMackinder.jpg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Don't feel silly, update with more! It looks awesome!
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, lookin cool
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking great. I really like the lighting you have achieved! One thing though... that red toolbox. It looks almost too perfect for how grungy your scene is, and it really draws the eye. If you were trying for that effect, you definitely achieved it! Looks awesome though, definitely inspiration to finally complete one of my projects.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Yeah, a few assets have less dirt/wear on them, might be something I tweak later on and just update those images without a bump though. Thanks again!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    Lookin good! Try to make the specular of the concrete floor a shade of blue. That way, where the light hits it, u should get a tinge of blue which will contrast well with the yellow and orange of the ceiling. Try it out!

Love the progress!
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    Looks fantastic wes. You should post the final image up on the first thread though so people can see it more quickly.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator