Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK - Mountain Valley Environment

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
MountainPlains16.bmp
I've been posting on WAYWO but decided it was time to start a thread. I'm working on an realistic natural environment to learn the in's and outs of UDK and create an exterior portfolio piece. So far I've created a mountainous landscape with open plains and a lake in the middle.
I want to watch the 3Dmotive foliage tutorial, but have to wait until I get paid. Until then I've been watching the UDK tutorials and finding others online. I want to learn soon how to get the water looking realistic but I'm trying to push the entire environment at the same time. Anyways, here is the latest update.

Latest.
ek0N1.jpg40jR0.jpg7JKkD.jpg

Replies

• marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update on my materials and textures and lighting. I created a water material based on Hourences tutorial. The material isn't perfect but it is better than what I had before. I added a reflection to it as well but it doesn't show in screenshots.
    MountainPlains18.bmpMountainPlains17.bmp
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    We meet again, compressed JPEG skybox.

Looking good so far, if not a little noisy in the grass.

Do you have cloud shadows in the distant terrain? I dont know if that will work well with the foliage if you ever decide to add any back there.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MountainPlains21.bmp
    No grass in the distant terrain but I have added trees. I also created a distance fog so that adds a bit more atmospheric perspective to it. I've completely redone my pine tree because the new branches capture lighting better than the old style and look more natural. I also redid the textures and changed the lighting. I still want to create better rocks and ground plants.
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    Looking cool! The added atmosphere and texture changes for the trees are making so much of a difference, great improvements. You might also want to consider blending the shoreline a bit more, maybe using depth-biased alpha or just some transitional textures painted in.
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming alive! A couple of things I'd recommend:

1. Color variation in the foliage. A great way to add depth and break away from noisiness, is to add subtle color variations in the grass. Maybe some areas are more desaturated, yellowed from being too dry. Maybe others are slightly more blue. Exploring analogous colors in the foliage will help a lot. That same idea goes for the trees, of course.

2. If you're familiar with vertex blending in UDK, I'd start thinking about how you can use that to your advantage on the terrain. Breaking the grass up with areas of flat ground, rock, dirt, etc, will be easy to achieve with blending, and it will do so much for the scene.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MountainPlains23.jpg
    Thanks guy's, these are awesome suggestions. The water is actually a bit of a problem for me. I tried following hourences water tutorial but it didn't work properly unless I deleted one section of it. So it works but i'm not sure if it could look better. There is also a huge streak of light going across it. I also think that it catches way too much light at some angles. The depth based alpha might be a good idea to add some more transparency to the waters edge.
    Waterstreak.jpg

I will add some color variation to my grass textures I keep going back and forth with more or less saturation so maybe a bit of both would be good. I'm not really familiar with vertex blending but I have been doing some texture blends in the terrain editor and that helps a bit. I'll do some research on vertex blending though and hopefully I can apply it.

I also have one more issue. This terrain will not capture shadows from anything except the grass which is a deco layer. The trees themselves all shade ok but don't cast shadow on the ground. If there were any way to fix that I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MountainPlains25.jpg
    I researched the terrain shadows on UDK and the situation sucks. Either I have cast shadows and no lightmaped trees or I have lightmaped trees but no cast shadows...
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    marq: Not sure what the problem with the terrain shadows you're having, but for a scene like this I would use dynamic shadows. Now there is a way to keep lightmaps on your trees while having dynamic lighting. If you use a dominant directional light, simply render the precomputed shadows using Lightmass, open the properties of your light and you will find 3 settings under the Cascaded Shadow Maps tab. By default, Whole Scene Dynamic Shadow Radius option will be set to 0, but if you change it to something like 1024 you will be able to replace the precomputed shadows with dynamic shadows within that distance from the camera. Essentially, you will be able to have the high quality dynamic shadows in the foreground and low quality landscape shadows in the distance. The other two settings control the quality of the cascaded shadows.

If you open the foliage map in UDK you will be able to see how that works in practice.

Keep at it, I like where this is going :) I'm a huge fan of natural environments.
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is coming along nicely, stick with it through the technical issues and I think you'll have a killer piece. Did you have any hero or landmark focal points in mind?
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I fixed my shadow problem, apparently if you have dithered masking on you get no shadows. I changed it to masked and instant shadows. Silly me.

teaandcigs: your suggestions are great! really changed the quality of shadows.

S2engine: My initial goal was to get it all to work, now I have to do some designing and drawing to see where I want to put my focus at and create a killer focal point.
    4.jpg
  • VictorSantos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VictorSantos polycounter lvl 12
    Hey, this is going pretty well. I like it a lot it really has potential to be a kick-ass environment, maybe with a cool post-process material and with a few tweaks like a nice far fog and a beautiful snowy mountains in distance...

I'm maybe too far from your point or goal but it really has a lot of potential to be "lost" creating a charming "mood" or atmosphere so keep it up!

Looking forward this one :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looking good! you going to create a focal point eg barn/ camp site with tents/ trailer etc ?
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Camp site would be pretty sweet.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm going to do a woodsmen shack beside the lake set alone deep in the woods beside the lake. Beside the shack have some animal skins hanging and a boat beside it.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    That last image is wonderful to look at - you're really getting the photo-realism down!

The only part that tells the eye that what it is looking at isn't real is the edge of the lake (as I'm sure you know).

By going into the Water material, you can plug the entire Emissive set-up into the 'A' channel of a LERP (Hold 'L' and click in the Material Editor) and then a foamy material into the 'B' channel. Lastly you can add a DepthBiasedAlpha into the 'Alpha' channel of the LERP.

This should blend between the two materials based on how far away an object is behind the water - ie, the shallow shore will be foamy and the deep water will remain unchanged.

You can experiment with different mask settings too in order to make the transition less blurry :)
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Exceptional work! My only crit is where the grass shore meets the water in the foreground...needs something there. Maybe some small rocks or even rocks that are half in the water etc.

Can you show you're tree and grass wireframes>? Also branch closeups?

Cheers!
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. For a start I've blended the grass with mud on the edges of the lake so that's a start. I'm going to be going over the water again tonight and working with that so I'll try your suggestions sircalalot. I also want to add rocks to the water synergy so I'll give that a go as well.

Here are some shots of my trees and I also wanted to try some deeper forest areas in this environment as well so here is a test of that. MountainPlains26.jpgTreeStats.jpg
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those trees are looking pretty nice! My only crit is that for some of the taller ones they tend to get lost in the middle because there's not a lot of lighting information. Have you tried editing the normals? Some resources on that here: http://wiki.polycount.com/VertexNormal

Alternatively, you could set up some nodes in your shader to ramp a dark to light gradient from the bottom of the tree up to the top, using the world up vector.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I created realistic water that gets clearer as it gets closer to the edge of the lake. I can sleep now. :)
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaterWorks.jpg
    Here you go, my new water!
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    This is looking gorgeous, huge improvement on the water. There's still a visible line on the water's edge where the water plane butts up against the terrain geo though. I think there needs to be some sort of transition between the two (maybe try SirCalalot's foamy material suggestion?)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh wow, 1,000x times better!! I want to go camping here. Get those rocks and pebbles in! xD
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll do both, let me get a second rock texture done and I'll start placing those. I'll see if a foamy texture agrees with my shader as well.

Now with more rocks
    MountainPlains30.jpg
    MountainPlains27.jpg
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I reworked my tree models a bit as well as added a bush model. I'll add more ground plants as I go. Right now I'm just playing with the deeper darker forest. I know I will have some elements of that in the final but it will be a bit lighter as I vary my tree sizes.
    MountainPlains31.jpgMountainPlains34.jpgMountainPlains35.jpg
  • Warotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice like it alot better with the warm lights! your trees are nearly 4k tris. is that acceptable for in game now a days? on average
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the new bushes!
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
  • The_Blenderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great detail on the tall grass and rocks, I agree it only need some lightning and warmer colors (since you already have Blue and Yellow all you need is some shade of red to complete the color-wheel).
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    Scene looks awesome. i'm making a scene that's pretty similar, but i've had non stop issues with the grass and the way light looks really bad or weird when it hits it sometimes. Is your grass plane receiving a 2 sided light pass? does your grass cast shadows on the terrain? Is your grass lightmapped or vertex lit?
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warotic: I don't think trees should be that expensive really. For my portfolio it will be fine but for in game they should loose a few polys. Next gen though who knows and we're getting close.

Jessica: Thank you!

Onionhead_o: Thanks!

SasoChicken: It was pretty dead before but I'm going to continue to make it as lively as possible. I'll add a skylight so it's not so dark overall in certain areas. But I'm also going to be scaling the trees individually.

The_Blenderer: I am going to be making more tree and plant variations for color.I agree that there can be some warmer colors.

lincolnhuges: I added an emmisive texture for all of my vegitation and grass. The texture is darker than my diffuse and its job is to make sure I don't have completely black shadows. It takes a lot of trial and error though to get the look right. The grass does cast shadow though I might try the twosided lighting pass.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Looking good man, it's come a long way even in the last few screenshots.

How did you go about creating the card textures for the fern trees? Did you bake that down? If so, how in the world did you create all the millions of needles?!

Looking forward to seeing more!
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    This is looking really cool dude, Any plans on add a focal point like a structure or something? Also how long does it take to build lighting? Im just curious. :D
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeeJay: This is just some old fashoned texture making. I make my textures by painting the branches and mixing it with photo sourced textures. In this case I Frankenstein'd a bunch of fir sources together. Pain in the but... but it would take forever to make the high poly of that, let alone bake it. I'll show my textures soon.

Toxic: We'll see after this next build lol. Takes about 9 mins with medium quality.
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Could you please show a close up of you're bush textures and how you laid out your Alpha planes?

Thanks!
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your newest shots are really looking great.

You shouldn't need to be adding emmissive values to your diffuse textures if lighting is set up properly though.

Try going into World Properties and adjusting the Environment Colour and Environment Intensity first of all.

As default this is black - nothing should ever be pure black in game design as a general rule, be it textures, shadows, lights (lol).
    Change it to a complimentary colour of your light and adjust the brightness of the colour to be darker. So if your sunlight is a soft yellow, try an environment colour that's a darker blue. Obviously we're going for subtlety here and not trying to get a disco going on, so be sensible with the intensities.

Maybe adjusting the number of Indirect Lighting Bounces for Lightmass in World Properties too (I find six looks pretty nice). As well as this, you can adjust the Diffuse Boost to adjust the intensity of light that a ray keeps hold of after each bounce and accentuate the Radiance effect.
    You can also have a fiddle with the Shadow colour in the Light's properties dialogue, but this will be mostly imposed by the Environment Colour in World Properties.

Hope that helps!

Edit, you could also adjust the leaf materials to have a Transmission Mask and Colour. The mask usually being your Alpha channel or Specular Texture and the 'Colour' being your Diffuse Texture.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You must have read my mind last night. I already got rid of my emmissive textures. I was trying to get away from extra maps to make it more efficient. My main reason for having the emmisive there was to get rid of the darkest blacks but I thought better lighting would fix that. I changed the value of the diffuse boost to 16. My lightmass bounces are set to 2 now but I'll try 6. My environment color was always set to a darker blue color.

My result was this
    MountainPlains36.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking pretty gad-damn impressive :D

Are you going to do a detail pass on all of the foliage, adding little bits of dry grass or dead leaves on the trees? At the moment, every inch of plant life is looking 100% healthy.
    But then this is me trying to nit-pick as it's looking sweet :P
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I'm back with that I think is some major progress before I go forward with creating the next part of this scene. I recreated the trees to get better shapes as well as to optimize them a bit better. I've been following the 3dmotive tutorial a fair bit to see what I could improve on. So I've completely reworked the shaders on the trees as well as added some improved textures for the foliage with more overall detail and color. I've changed my lighting and the distance fog as well.

MountainPlains37.jpgMountainPlains38.jpg

The next part of my scene is to create a shack on the edge of the lake that will be my focal point. The goal is to create a believeable wilderness that has some human elements as well. My next step is to start asset creation including:
    Wooden shack, boat, barrel, axe, logs, stump, ferns, wildflowers, pans, glass bottles, animal furs, daisies, and buckets. I also want to do nighttime lighting as well.
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, coming along nicely and the plan sounds good. I'm sure you know, Red Dead Redemption would be great reference for the human elements you're going to be adding.
  • Leodido
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love your scene, keep at it!
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, here's a small update with some flowers.
    MountainPlains39.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FLOWERS! I want to frolic among them!!

Ok, but seriously, nice touch haha xD
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frolic away lol
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    You should perhaps add some watery plants along the shoreline, some tall weeds or something?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice looks a lot more natural and colourful now
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish maya has as many cool normal tools as max has. Tweaking these to look right is a pain. But I'll keep at it.
    MountainPlains41.jpg
  • salacious_Crumb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    salacious_Crumb polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great so far!
    As a maya user I was wondering, how are you tweaking the normals in Maya?
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found a script called migNormalTools and I've been trying that. I'm not sure if it's helping though compared to the default tools.
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    I'd suggest to use the the tools in maya, there is a transfer attributes tool that can help you transfer the normals from a sphere to the tree canopy for example.

As for the UDK implementation of modified vertex normals, you will have to export your models using the FBX format and check the custom normals option when exporting your model.

To improve your lighting of your vegetation in UDK, you will have to rebuild the Lambert shader in the material editor and use the custom lighting function.

As for the scene composition, adding a man made construction can help give a sense of scale (it could be a path with some cobble stones+old wood barriers, old ruines etc...can even be a natural path showing some grass patches and soil)

Also a quick crit regarding the rocks on the shorline, try less saturated colors to get some extra contrast between the rocks and the ground.
    ned-mueller-artwork-landscape-lake-rocks_big.jpg

Other then that, keep up the good work, looks very promising.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you. I was trying the transfer attributes but the main problem was the geometry itself. I rebuilt the geometry and I've been following the 3dmotive tutorial but in maya as opposed to max. So that was causing me some frustration. In the meantime I decided to rebuild the canopy and lo and behold after the 4th or so iteration it looks natural finally. So now to do the other 3 trees. I also applied a lighter texture to the rocks and it looks great but no pics yet.
    MountainPlains43.jpg