Home General Discussion

How to correctly pronounce:

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Sounds like you've got a bit of a stutter there, Nitewalkr.

I am not stuttered. :(
  • TeZzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy polycounter lvl 12
    for anisotropy I say it(and heard it being said) like anna-sot-tre-pee and anisotropic like anna-sa-tropic.

If I know better, I will try to pronounce things the way they were intended. The same with someone's name.

This is isn't 3d but gigabyte, I have a work mate always saying jig-ga-byte. I have only ever heard it pronouced gig-ga-byte. Anyway else heard of the jig version?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    anna-sot-tre-pee - seriously?
    what next, people who call SQL sequel and think the plural of box is boxen? ;)
  • TeZzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy polycounter lvl 12
    lol...yes that will be next

Edit: wouldn't expect this to support my anisotropy pronounciation,but Siri on iphone4s pronounces it similarly
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    Frump wrote: »
    Right, so now that we know the correct pronunciations, are you actually going use them?

I've always said bee-zeer or freznel, for instance, because I know people will understand what I mean, because no one else I know says it differently. Should we champion correctness at the cost of being misunderstood? I am sure with half of these no one would know what you are talking about if said correctly.

we type these words 99 times more than we say them, which is why this thread even exists, cause nobody really needs to say these that often.

and if you've ever worked in a studio with people outside of your own country you get used to different pronounciations. i think language is emergent anyway, who really wants to call gibs "jibs"?
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Rick_D wrote: »
    who really wants to call gibs "jibs"?

Me. Because that's how you pronounce it :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    we type these words 99 times more than we say them, which is why this thread even exists, cause nobody really needs to say these that often.

speak for yourself. I use them quite a bit at work.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11

Some of us actually work ya know.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    oh sorry i didn't realise
  • Zombie Acorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Zed is how 'Z' is pronounced in British/European English, Zee is an Americanism. You're not likely to hear it said that way outside Europe

Zed is used in Canada also. Zed doesn't rhyme when you sing the alphabet though, clearly inferior.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Since we are talking about pronunciation of certain words, here's what bothers me and it is actually funny:

This word is used to define the time table of daily chores:

We used to call it Schedule (as in Sk-edge-ual)

When I came to Canada, the first English teacher that I ever had, corrected me and had me pronounced it as (Shed-duel)

12 years past, I now hear people pronouncing it as (Sh-edge-ual) and they even correct you if you pronounce it as the first two.

o.o......
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Since we are talking about pronunciation of certain words, here's what bothers me and it is actually funny:

This word is used to define the time table of daily chores:

We used to call it Schedule (as in Sk-edge-ual)

When I came to Canada, the first English teacher that I ever had, corrected me and had me pronounced it as (Shed-duel)

12 years past, I now hear people pronouncing it as (Sh-edge-ual) and they even correct you if you pronounce it as the first two.

o.o......

It's an accent, my grandmother call them To-matt-toes instead of to-may-toes

I say sk-edge-ual myself, never heard an english teacher in canada say otherwise.