Brave

Replies

• Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    He's Scottish, apparently from Elgin.

Looking through imdb they've also got Robbie Coltrane and Billy Connolly.

Given how they handled the beggining of Up, I'm curious to see where Pixar go with this one.

oh yeah. My bad. I could have sworn he had a jordie accent in Dog Soldiers and hearing he was from Newcastle or something.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Fomori wrote: »
    ...jordie

Aaaagh! It's Geordie not jordie... just saying ;)

Those character designs look really great CrazyFool - where are they from? Any more floating about?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    New trailer is up

The similarities to How to Train your dragon are rather reinforced here - it looks rather like the same story with dragons swapped with bears. I'm beginning to wonder with the superfluous Cars sequel (The original Cars is rather under appreciated, and that's coming from someone who developed two games based on it and has watched it lord only knows how many times), the Monster's Inc sequel, the possibility of a superfluous Toy Story sequel and then this... I'm not sure what you'd call it exactly, but it seems to happen a lot in animation with two very similarly themed movies popping up at the same time (How to Train Your Dragon 2 will probably be out around about the same time). It seems like there's beginning to be a lot more corporate decision making going on at Pixar when it comes to choosing movies, whether influenced by Disney or not. It seems rather unfortunate. One wonders whether we'll ever see any of their weirder or more experimental ideas appear in again.

But whatever, Hollywood machinations or no, Brave looks like it'll be a great film.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEHWDA_6e3M&feature=player_embedded"]Brave Trailer - YouTube[/ame]
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Bhilleh Konanananly

Scotland had Bears, but they were wiped out by the Romans. Er...
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Is that girl...who I think she is...is she going to fight Romans?

Boudica fought the Romans in Whayles Boyo (born in Norfolk)
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that accent for real? I found it more annoying than helpful...
  • Hydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hydro polycounter lvl 9
    Why are there so many people posting comments on the video's Youtube page along the lines of "she has no soul?" I don't understand why people are so critical and mean. The movie looks like fun to me.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's best not to read Youtube comments. It tends to reduce ones faith in humanity.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I think Pixar may have hit that wall, where expectations have gotten unrealistic. I think the movie looks great so far.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Looks more Disney then Pixar at the moment.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Hydro wrote: »
    Why are there so many people posting comments on the video's Youtube page along the lines of "she has no soul?" I don't understand why people are so critical and mean. The movie looks like fun to me.

It's a meme, actually.
    http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/gingers-do-have-souls
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I found the characters a bit odd looking, and oh man that new hair system is really distracting. Faces are simple and plane, whereas the hair is very volumetric, always moving, and noisy; typical case where a new tech is loved a bit too much and overused.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I don't care what anyone says, her hair is fucking awesome and it looks like a fun movie.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    The characters are starting to look like porcelain dolls.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    In typical bullshit Disney-Pixar style, this film comes out in June in the US, but December in the UK.

They'll of course blame the poor sales in the UK on piracy, not customers buying the DVD from the States for less than the cost of going to the cinema.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    How to train your Mulan and the secret of Kells?

Pass. Seen it.

ambershee wrote: »
    In typical bullshit Disney-Pixar style, this film comes out in June in the US, but December in the UK.

They'll of course blame the poor sales in the UK on piracy, not customers buying the DVD from the States for less than the cost of going to the cinema.

It actually has to do with Marketing budget allocation. This problem exacarbates piracy, it doesnt help it. For instance, Ratatouille was also released very late in Europe, so I ended up watching a cam version. Still saw it in the cinema twice though.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly, I think a company as big as Disney / Pixar is capable of handling marketing in two regions at the same time, and other companies don't do this. The fact that they do do it, really does exacerbate piracy, not further helped by the obscene price fixing of movie-going in the UK, and Disney forcibly shortening the length of the running the film to eight weeks on threat of not distributing to those cinema chains in future so that they can release their merchandising and tie ins within whatever magical windows they aim for.

The last movie I went to see cost over $50 USD for the both of us. Importing the DVD from the US costs $20, or more often than not, importing it from Asia can cost as little as $10, and you get to see the film 6 months earlier (or the time everyone is talking about it online, of course).
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Her hair is amazing, it looks like a moving painting. Fantastic.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Oh man, I totally love this. Looks awesome. Really can't wait to watch this one.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOmc2GzWtSE"]Brave trailer - Disney Pixar - Only at the Movies June 21 - YouTube[/ame]
    New Trailer. I think we can safely banish any worries that Pixar having lost their touch after the rather poor Cars 2.

I'm really liking the banter between the different characters.

On a side note, DisneyToon Studio who used to do all of the crappy sequels to the various animated Disney movies - Lion King 1.5, Cinderella 2 and 3 etc, are now working on this:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLyTzIslEQk&feature=related"]Planes Official Trailer - YouTube[/ame]
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    The new trailer looks great. I would recommend watching here instead of that lower quality youtube link. The 1080 trailer is just gorgeous.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/disney/brave/
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was bloody great actually. Really nice sequence. Funny and dramatic.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8cLhckSAAw"]Brave Japanese Trailer (English Subtitles) - YouTube[/ame]

The Japanese version gives a hell of a lot more insight into the plot.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    That trailer is a billion times more captivating than the American version.
    I was already excited to see it, and now I'm just about to run around in circles in excitement.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    It looks okay I guess. I don't really see the big deal other than it's pretty to look at.
  • Vintidora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So that's what it was, man talk about suspense I'm just dying to see it now.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do animated films ever hit IMAX? Or is it that crazy prohibitive to render at that crazy pixel size. Would love to see this in IMAX and in 3D.
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    june 22th? holy shiiiet.. and thought it will be someday at 2013 :p
    +1 on IMAX
    +1 on jap trailer are awesome.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    suki suki! hell yeah!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like that Japanese trailer, it made me much more excited to see the movie. I swear the American version just has the snot nose kid and the old man lifting his kilt saying "feast yar eyes!" It's really been a big turn off. I got enough Mater humor in Cars2, its the main reason that movie stunk so bad.

I know the kilt lift must be a great laugh line but its worn out already and constantly associating your new brand with something that makes people cringe isn't a wise move...
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I think Pixar/Disney are just marketing Brave to their established fanbase in the most familiar way. Also, I think that by minimizing the story details that are revealed in the trailer that it will mean that the film retains a lot of surprises for the audience.

I do see a big Studio Ghibli influence on Brave, particularly in this new Japanese trailer. Tonally it feels that touch darker and more mystical, which is a great thing, I think. Can't wait to see this film.
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess it's just Scottish humour lol those crazy bastards!

Japanese trailer looked awesome, they put so much more feeling into it and just overall seemed so much more epic.

I do see a big Studio Ghibli influence on Brave, particularly in this new Japanese trailer. Tonally it feels that touch darker and more mystical, which is a great thing, I think. Can't wait to see this film.

Me too. The whole spirit of the forest thing is very Ghibli. "Merida and the Forest of Fear" - putting the little title on the end also shows a bit of Ghibli as well I've noticed, but I'm not hugely into Anime so I don't think if that's a thing.
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, just got back from seeing it at an advanced screening. This is very worth it to see. Very funny, animation and generally all 3D elements are top notch. Very Pixar quality which is always the best. Great story and La Luna is very ... cute. Everyone needs to see this!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuck Disney and their staggered release dates. This doesn't come out until the end of August here, despite the fact every other English speaking territory gets it this week.

Scotland mysteriously gets it two weeks before England, Ireland or Wales.

Taiwan, Chile, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Vietnam, the Ukraine all get it before the UK (as does the bulk of Europe and the majority of other nations) :/

How hard is it to release a film in one language at a similar time to everyone else? It's not 1950 anymore, you don't have to ship loads of reels of film across the Atlantic.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Does someone know if the Movie hits japan in a dubbed or subbed version? i hope subbed i just love the scottish accent of all the characters and i just love craig ferguson so it's a must see anyway.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reviews from the Australian critics have been surprisingly mediocre. Not bad reviews like Cars 2 was getting, but 3 out of 5 kinda level with suggestions that it comes off as being a bit flat and poorly paced at times.

I'm still inclined to check it out at the cinema if I can manage to scratch together the exorbitant amount of money necessary to do so, but I'll have to take along a nice lady in case my attention wavers.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, the reviews I've seen so far have not painted it in a good light. It's probably just because people's expectations were set pretty high.

I'll still see it... everyone I know is really excited about it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Scotland mysteriously gets it two weeks before England, Ireland or Wales.

What a mystery! Let's get our best men on this.

joking aside - staggered release dates are based on marketing, logistics and the cultural movie watching differences around the world. For instance, what are your plans for the 4th of July?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That may be the excuse; but their release schedule makes very little sense at all (E.g. Scotland getting the film two weeks before the rest of the UK - that's like Texas getting it two weeks after Oklahoma; it just doesn't happen because it's nonsense).

Take a look at the list - there is no rhyme or reason to it at all.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1217209/releaseinfo

Countries getting it this weekend are Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Slovenia, Ukraine, Canada, Taiwan, USA.

That's all the major English speaking states except the UK. Russia and the Ukraine have a russian language version. Slovenia? Slovenia will have English with subtitles - but the rest of Europe doesn't get it for five weeks including neighbouring Hungary who would want the same version. Taiwan? Clearly Chinese, however no other Chinese speaking nation will get it for another six weeks.

I feel really sorry for Poland. Whilst all their bordering nations get it in August, they have to inexpicably wait until mid October. Now Texas is getting the film three months after all it's neighbours.

Even so, their logistics have failed, since when the film does come out here, our local cinemas will be largely screening live coverage from the Olympics. If it had come out now, it would have no competition, no cultural conflicts and school holidays to boot.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your cinemas show Olympics footage? I can't imagine that ever happening here for a whole bunch of reasons. Would folks actually pay to go out to the cinema to watch sport?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That may be the excuse; but their release schedule makes very little sense at all (E.g. Scotland getting the film two weeks before the rest of the UK - that's like Texas getting it two weeks after Oklahoma; it just doesn't happen because it's nonsense).

It's like the 2004 Alamo movie premiering in Texas 2 weeks prior to the rest of the US (which it did).

If it's still a mystery:
    the film is set in Scotland
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Films often premiere weeks beforehand, but premieres aren't national-scale availability.
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Your cinemas show Olympics footage? I can't imagine that ever happening here for a whole bunch of reasons. Would folks actually pay to go out to the cinema to watch sport?

You're forgetting that the 2012 Olympics are being held here. Not only that, ours is the most corporate ever; around half of the tickets got sold off at ridiculous prices to companies, so none of the people can actually see it otherwise anyway. Tickets for the mens 100 meter final for example are being sold for £27,000 (with a minimum order of 10)...

But that's getting offtopic, so let's elave the Olympic rant right there.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no understanding of the culture of instant gratification
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's more the fact that we get the marketing the same time as the US - it's frustrating because you see adverts for something you won't actually get to see for another four-five months.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Scotland is a different nation, and I would be careful comparing it to 'just another English state'. It's not a state of another country.

The reason is ceremonial. It would be like releasing Ratatouille in France first. Just a nice gesture, not nonsense.

What I really dislike about Pixars schedule is how Europeans get gipped every second film and have to wait till October. Has something to do with marketing budgets I believe.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scotland is not a state, it is a country that is part of the state that is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. England is the same.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Saw this over the weekend. Anyone else hit it up? It was a good movie, but for me, I dont think it was nearly as epic as it could have been, which is kinda unfortinate : \
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I liked it. I thought the bears looked way awesome.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Didn't feel like a pixar film to me. It was good. Not. . . Great.. But good. Pacing felt weird. The short, ”La Luna” was rad as hell, though.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Yea. "La Luna" was great.

I did feel the story felt a little short lived. Some of the scenes could've been explored a little more, or some of the sequences might've been extended to make them a little more impressive. But, i enjoyed it non the less. I welcomed the change from the other pixar movies. Thought this one got pretty gruesome and dark at some points. I hope they keep some movies in this tone.