Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

weapon attachments and FN SCAR.. high poly!

IsparticusI
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
IsparticusI polycounter lvl 8
hey guys just got done doin some weapon attachments over the past couple days and thought id put in into polycount and see what all you experts think! i made all of them to put onto a FN SCAR that i will be starting to work now

all crits are welcome! and hope you enjoy!!

6283201731_f90edf00d1_b.jpg

6283718660_4302fef580_b.jpg

first is the ACOG sight

Replies

• IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    secondly have the EO TECH red dot sight...

6283719918_57e7a07bbc_b.jpg

6283720192_2472d10910_b.jpg
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thirdly the grip

6283721070_81cef6955a_b.jpg

6283202981_531dc6327c_b.jpg
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 13
    These look really great for the most part! There are some errors you need to fix though. Just a tiny bit of pinching of smoothing errors.
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you show us wires? There seems to be quite a lot of pinching on the ACOG
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan- thanks man

sneaky- yea i see what your saying, im gunna re work the pinching parts underneath the triangles in the front, and then smoothen out the left side of the side dial, and then post some wires! thanks for the crit
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update with wires and fixed the pinches...

6283867945_b1a38a3cc0_b.jpg

6283869659_a8d5e2f9d3_b.jpg

6283868693_ce2af216b1_b.jpg
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    gotta give you credit for figuring out these complex shapes and executing them well, but you need to soften up your edges. even if this is just a high poly model, softer edges help readability and make your models look more impressive. also, it's good if you soften things per material--for example the rubberized material on the acog would be much softer than the metals to help separate them more.

handy chart showing how softening edges reduces aliasing and helps normal baking:

edgewidthmodel.jpg
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice attention to detail man, the screws on the EO tech need work. Racer i see that chart thrown around a lot on here, obviously since you made it your the person to ask about it. I was hoping you could expand on it a bit why you dont think its ok to have the realistic edges for a fps gun that is going to be seen so close to the camera? if its going to be in the camera foreground all the time and not seen at a distance (probably used a diff LOD model for that??) is it still not ok to have the hard edges?

i get that rounder edges help with normal mapping the the same way expanding the base of floaters adds to the illusion of depth in the normal map so i understand why they are an advantage in that case. Could you explain a bit more about the aliasing? that seems to sound like the best reason to go with smoother edges, what are your thoughts man?
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    racer: thanks for the crit, yea like es said ive seen your diagram on a few posts, and i know what ya mean... i didn't know exactly how the renders would turn out, yea on some edges there is a little to much pinching on the red dot.

es: good eye, i need to break apart those verts coming out from the extrusions, thanks for the crit!
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ES_139 wrote: »
    nice attention to detail man, the screws on the EO tech need work. Racer i see that chart thrown around a lot on here, obviously since you made it your the person to ask about it. I was hoping you could expand on it a bit why you dont think its ok to have the realistic edges for a fps gun that is going to be seen so close to the camera? if its going to be in the camera foreground all the time and not seen at a distance (probably used a diff LOD model for that??) is it still not ok to have the hard edges?

i get that rounder edges help with normal mapping the the same way expanding the base of floaters adds to the illusion of depth in the normal map so i understand why they are an advantage in that case. Could you explain a bit more about the aliasing? that seems to sound like the best reason to go with smoother edges, what are your thoughts man?

three reasons why it's important for fps weapons:

fps weapons are at a grazing angle, so they get hit hard by texture filtering. it's important to beef up your edges so they don't get lost within the blurriness of filtered textures.

texture sizes. while the weapon may be on a 2048 for the pc, the 360 version may have 1024 textures, and downsizing can mean some particularly tight edges get lost. making the edges more prominent fixes this.

lastly, plain and simple, softer edges catch more light and thus look more attractive.
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool thanks for the info.

will be keeping an eye on this one sparticus....updates soon??
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    It needs to be balanced a bit because some of his edges are sharp... and then others are gummy looking.
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ask and you shall recieve!! let me know what ya think about this, i smoothed out the edges quite a bit... let me know if its to much or if it catches your eye enough. also smoothed out the kinks in the screws real quick so....

critique away!!

6286689446_32ecb97b54_b.jpg

also, started working on the SCAR so should have some renders up soon for that too!
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zoom out in the viewport, do the edges get all jaggy?
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    racer: yea i double checked everything, thanks again!

also...
    some quick renders of the beginning of the scar!

6286866581_4192f03df8_b.jpg

6286866657_44b1df3950_b.jpg
  • RobertHammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobertHammer polycounter lvl 10
    Oh nice :)

btw is it just that render or that Acog is too long?
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hammer: im surprised your the first one to mention that, yea in the remodeled pieces i made it alot shorter to fit on the gun. thanks for the insight tho!

gunna be away for the weekend, being halloween and all, but when i get back there will be alot more renders being posted:)
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got pretty far on the scar before the weekend came around. so here are some renders!

please critique the crap out of it :poly121:
    6298601477_e7e1aff2e3_z.jpg

6299133596_62b8fc2b71_z.jpg

6299102462_b4ea524fa1_z.jpg

6298570445_3d154025cb_z.jpg
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    Nice high poly work.

On the acog, would it not be easier just to find a way to terminate some of those edges where it's pinching? (/noob)
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weirdboy:

yea, for the most part generally if you want to get rid of pinching, the easiest way is to yes, delete edges. but depending one what else your object is containing, it could ruin it even more. thats why sometimes its easier to just re-scale verts using edge constraints, or if its just not working out, deleting parts and starting over.

believe im done with the high poly, even though no artwork is ever fully finished, you can always go back. but ive double and triple checked the modeling of the FN-SCAR!

as always please leave any comments or crits! i need em to get better:)

cant really decide on the color scheme. which looks better? gray scale or color to represent the high poly model??
    6300227925_2dfde00d75_b.jpg

6300761382_73eda9567c_b.jpg

6300227379_b8d93fe49f_b.jpg
  • RobertHammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice ,but noticed few things

1. the lower part of receiver is thick?

2. pistol grip looks strange

also can you post some pics from right side and front part

btw you planing to do a EGLM and Mk17 version?

btw2 you maybe know this site - it has great pics of real Scar's http://www.pixagogo.com/1792204240
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    hey man, your doing great job here. the overall look at first stance is great,
    if u wanna get it better i would suggest same as other said here

go softer on the edges, make sure its showing, maybe go x2 than what u got

and another thing is the shape and proportions even on the smaller part, yea i know its small and annoying and most ppl wont spend time on those kind of part but for example, this poped right away when i opened your thread
    555A651.gif

the ARMS little closing arms are way of in shape, u need to give it softer feel, it will help u make it look plastic too,right now its too edgy and sharp, same for other parts u have there,

1. so basically softer edges (i dont have rules for that i just do what i think will work good with my normal maps, i also noticed it changes with time and experience even if u dont learn new stuff, when i opened a model i did in 2007 i was like wtf thos edges are too sharp, why did i do it like that O_O, so im sure youll get it with time too)

2.better attention to shape and proportions even if its that small
    u got some complex shape done pretty good so you know what youre doing, do it for all parts

and thanx alot for the nice words, i appreciate it alot
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    this looks amazing please keep going
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hammer: thanks for the feedback, i looked at what you were saying about the pistol grip and i re worked it. there is a pinch in the middle of the real grip that i kept tho. im not sure what part of the reciever you think is thick tho...

Lonewolf: thanks alot for puttin some feedback on my stuff, really appreciate it! Your work is so inspirational, everytime i look at any piece you have i feel like i need to reach for a towel cuz i just splooged over everything!:) ha

but yea i see what you were saying about the ARMS brackets, i fixed them up a little bit and deleted some edges. i think it looks alot better. and i took another glance over the model as a whole and re worked alot of the edges. when it comes to my next piece im just gunna keep smoother than i want cuz once its all said and done, itll end up lookin better.

dpaynter26: thanks man, always like the nice words!

grip references:
    6306697714_2451191b45.jpg
    6306174389_18c6306daa.jpg

reworked grip:
    6306637328_ae5a2ea0c7_b.jpg
    6306637074_f02b227793_b.jpg
    6306114187_bec7774c7f_b.jpg

EOTech reference:
    6306697614_3e9206f913_b.jpg

reworked EOTech and arms:
    6306347903_7b66e16eb0_b.jpg
    6306347719_7e255d1851_b.jpg

some more angles:
    6306637812_e7a6b2890c_b.jpg
    6306637936_94edc5cf58_b.jpg
  • RobertHammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I meant the lower receiver module which is the part where the magazine puts in - that looks thick in your model http://www.pixagogo.com/Photos/Albums/Photo.aspx?id=S4Ms3i1uSo75lj7WFU2NflRFyb3re1sRTKAaOlhdcdAHuE!OcSB8kgdPQW8Ji3ADJi
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for some reason that site didn't load on my computer but i see what your talking about. i pushed in the low part of the reciever. i actually went back into my references and noticed that i didn't make the clip itself wide and large enough either, so that also was making the receiver look smaller than what it really was.

but heres the update with a reference first. thanks again for the good eye!

6307031135_1aaae23e40_b.jpg
    6307544578_3817063929_b.jpg
    6307544866_a9e2ecc73a_b.jpg
  • RobertHammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another thing noticed ,not sure why - your Front iron sight looks strange compared to this real one http://pix.pixagogo.com/S56SBDtSVjQhau3kDET!MTabUQN6s2gWSI4N1ULgIBDkUIGixC3SLw1X9i!Z!AmpUwIs6wFtIEjhmILgHfaYQJjFhUVbHvebyo/DSCN0699.jpg

and which type of flash hider you modeled? because it doesn't look like basic AAC one for Scar 16 , it looks more like AAC for Scar 17

btw you will do both variants? like that Scar 17 and also Scar's Grenade Launcher for both?
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah got ya, didn't realize there was a hole in the top of the front iron sight. and no im probably gunna call it quits for the high poly of the weapon. now im just kinda nit picking at little things and ive been doing that for the past week or so, when im ready to move on to different things and do the low poly and bake it soon.

il prob quickly model like a silencer or the legs that attach for when the sniper scope is on it, just for the heck of it. but all together for the gun itself high poly, im calling it finished. wanna move on :poly124:
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    are you gonna bake a low poly?
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yikes, 2 year old thread!! Well i decided to come back around to this and make a low poly and bake it down. Tri-count is sitting at 12K.

The piece is for an indie project, but also for my portfolio. But i optimized the piece centered around the fact that its going to be seen at a first person view.

BTW - keep in mind that this isn't the final normal, this is fresh baked. haven't cleaned it up yet :)

Textures coming soon

Low poly + Normal -

S3g7498.jpg

FTLwwOq.jpg

axUOIiM.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    YEAH! keep going man
  • lilJohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lilJohn polycounter lvl 5
    This is great work! If you dont mind me asking, how do you get those highpoly surface details (the tan plastic detail)? It makes the model look so much nicer.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looks pretty good so far, things I noticed at a glance is that the front is very blocky and it may be that your gun is to wide. Your transistion between the smaller top part and the bottom part where the rounded corner is in between is not strong enough. Both are too even and both are too wide it seems.

Also your muzzle is really off. The barrel is too thin and is missing a part where it enters the case. Also make the grip like 15% less long, it will look better.

Color is nice for the presentation, but your lighting and shader isnt. With a more diffuse specular and a good light setup you could make a great render with just color.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    spotted some things when looking at your high poly.
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

Oniram- you got some good highpoly work. Thanks for the fixing sheet. unfortunately its kind of late in the process to go back and change and wait for renders for minor things. But the screws and whatnot, (the things that i can change at this stage) i will def add thanks!

Shrike- not entirely sure what you mean by that first part that you said. And right now for the low poly im not to worried about the render, this is very early on in the texture, and those from before were just for showing the normals, thats all. And the handle is taken right from reference so i think the size is ok. but thanks for the feedback.

liljohn- its actually relatively simple, its just a noise thrown into the bump slot on your materials and adjusting the size of the noise. play around with it and feel it out, you'll be able to get something similar.

Right now the model just has simple materials and color palettes to distinguish everything. now time to go into detail
    tBUFsfD.jpg
  • SanjiWhite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks really great. The thing that springs into my eye is that the barrel is a lot smaller in diameter than in the references, as shrike said.
    Other than that and the points oniram found it looks really really great and I wish my gun will turn out that good :)
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    yeah the barrel seems a lot thinner and the flash hider seems like a different one....
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, done with the texturing. I think for the most part it turned out pretty good. I would have liked to take it a little further... but what ya gunna do. next time!

hope ya enjoy
    but yes, any comments would be great, and crits for next time too! thanks
    R9PzRHb.jpg
    CqMYVLn.jpg
    A0dtP15.jpg
  • VeeJayZee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooooooh yeah. Love that grubby, oily specs on the rear sights, love, love, LOVE IT. I think you could bump the specs on the upper receiver since that's metal. I'm not sure if you have done your specs but yeah, it can provide a good material definitions between polymer and metal parts.