Home General Discussion

Zbrush 4 R2

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Don't use PNG's from what I recall, they are iffy at best.

I think you should stick with TGA's or PSD's.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I'm using 16bit depth displacement PSD's. Greyscale wont even import, RGB imports, but when breaks when used. 8-bit works...sorta, but gives aweful stair stepping.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about TGA's or TIFF's? Same result?
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    looks awesome from what i seen at work but, not a fan of the brushes that make perfect lips, eyes, nose etc with a simple drag.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    STRIKER wrote: »
    looks awesome from what i seen at work but, not a fan of the brushes that make perfect lips, eyes, nose etc with a simple drag.

I don't have too much of an issue with the facial feature brushes, I personally made an Ear brush for outlining, which helped quite a bit.

It may actually help those that are just starting out, assuming they don't just use the default and call it their own.
  • TeZzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy polycounter lvl 12
    PNG's never worked for alphas and still doesn't. I was super annoyed that I couldn't bring in my 16bit psd's. But I tested that if you shrink the resolution down to 600x600 before import they go in fine. The limit is probably higher.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    Rai wrote: »
    assuming they don't just use the default and call it their own.

If they do that it's gonna look like shit anyway ^^
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    If they do that it's gonna look like shit anyway ^^

I just tried it, looked hilariously hideous. :D
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Hey I have a question for you R2 users! I just installed the trial, because I'm making the switch from Mudbox to Zbrush at work, and need to get used to the new tools. I noticed that there are lots of brushes from older versions of Zbrush that are missing? The mallet tool is one of them! Did Pixologic purposely remove them? Or is it some trial limitation?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far, I don't think Pixo ever gimped their Trials. Press the , key to bring up the Lightbox tool (that sci-fi looking, Minority report swooshy black scroll box).

Navigate to Brushes, you should find all of them in there. They moved them to keep things organized (the brush palette was getting bloated).

The good thing is, if you load the brush, it will keep it in your Brush palette during the session, so you don't need to go hunting for it again until the next time you bootup ZB.

Naturally you can move around the brushes to your startup folder to have them load up in your brush palette automatically if you wish.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Hey I have a question for you R2 users! I just installed the trial, because I'm making the switch from Mudbox to Zbrush at work, and need to get used to the new tools. I noticed that there are lots of brushes from older versions of Zbrush that are missing? The mallet tool is one of them! Did Pixologic purposely remove them? Or is it some trial limitation?

The trial is fully featured, I think that brush got moved into the lightbox.
    I'm using 16bit depth displacement PSD's. Greyscale wont even import, RGB imports, but when breaks when used. 8-bit works...sorta, but gives aweful stair stepping.

OK, WTF, i tried every format but only .JPEG worked (16bit jpegs are still bad right?). I have a 2048^2, greyscale, 16bit/channel .PSD as source, and All I get on import is a white dot surrounded by black. I really want to learn to sculpt tiling textures, but zBrush resisting me at every step.

On a related note, does anyone have any tips they can share regarding sculpting tiling textures? Currently I start from crazybump displacement, but I dont know how to make them wrap around and tile in zbrush like the tilling plane in Mudbox 2012 SAP.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Computron: Somebody sent me the solution out of the blue.
    In preferences, drag your preload cache slider all the way up, and re-import.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7