Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It's already out?

;p
  • mastershokhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess he's just excited. Still got a week to go.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I thought Sept 20th was the release date. =\
  • Alemja
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I thought Sept 20th was the release date. =\
    It IS the release date, it's in the links :)
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    i'm curious what about my post or links implies that it's out?

it comes out september 20th, there just isn't a thread for it and i hadn't seen sneak peek 2 posted.

i haven't read much about the dynamesh, does anyone know of it's dynamic tessellation like sculptris or what?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, There is,

Thanks for the boost tho, much appreciated. :)
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    ralusek wrote: »
    there just isn't a thread for it and i hadn't seen sneak peek 2 posted.

Late to the party :)http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88243&highlight=clay+time
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O wrote: »
    I think you can use any mesh you want since the dynamesh mode was in the subtool palet. It's just that after remeshing it, you get that very dense topology that is great for clay sculpting (with trim dynamic, clay tubes, clip brushes etc...), but from what I understood you lose all your levels of subdiv. You can of course add some more, but your level 1 will still be very dense.
    Just think of Shadow box and the meshes it generates and you get a pretty good idea of what a dynamesh is, in term of topology. It's still a mesh made of quads and if you use the move brush too much, you will still get these ugly stretches. But as soon as you drag&drop on the canvas, dynamesh reproject all your sculpt on a new mesh that has a more uniform topology.

Here you go, not really dynamic per say, but hey! Anything to keep my projects in fewer apps, the better.

Also, don't quote me on this, but at the last convention, there were a few hints flying around at the chance of ZB being 64 bit if all goes well.
  • mastershokhan
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It pays to be a night owl

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=160240

see ralusek is psychic

oh my god....OH MY GODD!!!, OHHH MY GODDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!! x.x
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It pays to be a night owl

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=160240

see ralusek is psychic

I don't know what to say, words cannot describe the abilities of these tools.

EDIT: Still funny to read in the official thread, people 'asking' for an update of the Retopo tools or for a revamp. I'm pretty sure at this point ZB became the ultimate sculpting solution and won't be doing anything else for a LONG while.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    And all the Tim Burton fan boys shit themselves over the "curlies" in that video.

Seriously though, that's looking great. I can't wait to get some free form sculpting sessions going. Looks fantastic, but I'm a little leery of the process to get it going, and what the limitations are.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    My god I want this right now haha
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My reaction to seeing that video was pretty much similar to the end of this video!
    http://youtu.be/c9eGtyqz4gY

All Zbrush needs to do now is to make a retopo tool that works similar to the UV master tool.
    Paint in loop guides with one color, general poly flow with another and hit the GO button to remesh.. oh dear god how sweet life would be then.

None of the current retopo tools out today are really intuitive, and take far too long to use if you just want fast and dirty retopoing of a sculpt.. But then, with this new dynamesh stuff, who´s to say its actually needed...
    Will be so much fun to see what people get up to when it releases.
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    None of the current retopo tools out today are really intuitive, and take far too long to use if you just want fast and dirty retopoing of a sculpt..

I think right now there is such a retopology tool that exists. You should check out 3D Coat. Their latest version 3.5 have a function called AUTOPO which allows you to retopologize your whole mesh in a matter of minutes all in quads. You also have the ability to draw curves on the mesh to define the edge flow on your mesh. It's not perfect and you may have to do some cleanup afterwards but it saves you a lot of time from creating faces one by one or extruding edges to make faces.
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried the older versions of 3D coat where you could draw in lines fairly quickly that it would use.
    But thats still more hastle than I like since it breaks up the creative flow when sculpting.
    You have to export the model, go through atleast half an hour of backs and forts and experimentations for getting the edgeloops and flow to where you like it, and then import back into Z :)
    What I´m talking about wanting here, is something as fast as UV master.
    Imagine if you could, in symmetry, take a blue color, draw a circle around the eye, around the mouth, around the ear, and around the feet and hands. Then with red, quickly draw in 2 or 3 guide lines on the face, one down the side of the hands if you wanted the topology to "twist" as it goes down and just hit "done" and in seconds be back at sculpting on the new mesh :)

Final retopoing and UVing could still be done the way it is now, since you want very specific vertex placements and edge flows for what ever you are using the model for in the end.

I dont know, perhaps I´m just dreaming here ;)
    Dreaming of a day when we are free of worrying about topology and UV´s throughout the creation process. The less time we have to take to think about technical stuff, the more time we spend being creative.

This version of Zbrush is a big step in that direction in my view. If dynamesh is as flexible as it looks in these videos, it could totally do away with any need to use zSpheres or zSketch. Both of which, while revolutionary time savers in their own right, can be a total pain in the n-gon sometimes.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dear god that is epic
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    I tried the older versions of 3D coat where you could draw in lines fairly quickly that it would use.
    But thats still more hastle than I like since it breaks up the creative flow when sculpting.
    You have to export the model, go through atleast half an hour of backs and forts and experimentations for getting the edgeloops and flow to where you like it, and then import back into Z :)
    What I´m talking about wanting here, is something as fast as UV master.
    Imagine if you could, in symmetry, take a blue color, draw a circle around the eye, around the mouth, around the ear, and around the feet and hands. Then with red, quickly draw in 2 or 3 guide lines on the face, one down the side of the hands if you wanted the topology to "twist" as it goes down and just hit "done" and in seconds be back at sculpting on the new mesh :)

Final retopoing and UVing could still be done the way it is now, since you want very specific vertex placements and edge flows for what ever you are using the model for in the end.

I dont know, perhaps I´m just dreaming here ;)
    Dreaming of a day when we are free of worrying about topology and UV´s throughout the creation process. The less time we have to take to think about technical stuff, the more time we spend being creative.

This version of Zbrush is a big step in that direction in my view. If dynamesh is as flexible as it looks in these videos, it could totally do away with any need to use zSpheres or zSketch. Both of which, while revolutionary time savers in their own right, can be a total pain in the n-gon sometimes.

Gusti what you are talking is beyond what any retopology or digital sculpting app can do these days. Maybe within the next 5 to 10 years we could see such advancements where you don't have to deal with any technical aspects of the program but until then we as digital artist will have to deal with them.

I remember 5 or 6 years ago when I started getting into 3D I did not know anything about Zbrush or know little about other 3D apps like 3DS Max, Softimage, Modo, and a few others. Back then everything was more technical and go back even 10 or 15 years then it gets even more technical. I started 3D at a time when Zbrush was starting to get well known and there was no retopology tools that had even existed at the time. Everything I had to do was both tedious and mundane. I am not complaining about how much technical stuff you have to know nowadays because all the wonderful apps that is being used today is like 10 time better than in the past and I am grateful that we have these wonderful apps today because it make our life easier than before.

Zbrush surely has revolutionized the game and movie industry and will continue to do so in the future. I too am excited about the dynamesh feature that Zbrush 4 R2 is offering and it looks like you won't have to go through too many technical steps in order to sculpt something out of nothing. This version is surely a first step of what's to come. I'll take what I can now and work with it and leave the rest for the future.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »

I don't know what to say, words cannot describe the abilities of these tools.

EDIT: Still funny to read in the official thread, people 'asking' for an update of the Retopo tools or for a revamp. I'm pretty sure at this point ZB became the ultimate sculpting solution and won't be doing anything else for a LONG while.

I like the topology tool the way it is right now, they just gotta update it so you can actually move the verts accordingly. For me the only problem is that, when I am using the rigging tool, I can move some points but not all of them. Or maybe i am doing something wrong. =\
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert wrote: »
    Gusti what you are talking is beyond what any retopology or digital sculpting app can do these days. Maybe within the next 5 to 10 years we could see such advancements where you don't have to deal with any technical aspects of the program but until then we as digital artist will have to deal with them.

I remember 5 or 6 years ago when I started getting into 3D I did not know anything about Zbrush or know little about other 3D apps like 3DS Max, Softimage, Modo, and a few others. Back then everything was more technical and go back even 10 or 15 years then it gets even more technical. I started 3D at a time when Zbrush was starting to get well known and there was........

Oh I know such a thing is not available today, but people come up with the craziest of stuff all the time that we thought we wouldn´t see for a long while, so I´m allowed to dream :)
    Oh and I know the tech side of 3D all too well, I started modeling on my Amiga 500 using the first Lightwave version that was not tied to the VideoToaster. I believe it was version 1.4, then moved to 3D studio 2 when I bought a PC Pentium 90 :P Things today are a cakewalk compared to then when it comes to speed and ease of use :thumbup:

But they can always get better ;)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auto-retopoly would be very possible, even by todays tech, if the right people got behind it, too bad they still don't and it baffles, kinda like how we have all these different baking solutions in different softwares with different tangents, it simply doesn't make sense why we don't streamline stuff instead of...you know, using all archaic methods which are only stagnating all facets of industry.

I mean the fact alone that still MANY retopo tools done allow 'real' symmetry vertex repositioning and don't have any real 'extrude' or bevel tools, drive me insane.

3DC is one the right track, but inorder to make it fully automatic, one has to code in presets, hands universally follow certain patterns, as do faces and other parts of the human body, if one coded in presets for say a hand, all the artist would have to do is simply stroke in the lines and let the machine do the rest of the calculations.

Doesn't matter if you have 2, 3, 4 or 5 fingers on your models hands, it will still work under the same basic idea, and once the base retopo is done with the correct loops, you can tweak it and call it a day.

Want an auto-retopo solution of hard surface models? Using Convexity and Cavity calculations, you can very easily the program automatically detect compressed or hard edges.

Having a hard time doing ears? Line in the major structures and valleys of the ears, voila, presto done.

I'm not going to say it's easy to create such a tool, but the solution is very possible, just strange no one still jumped on it.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    3Dcoat's retopo tool has a lot of nice options and pretty much works for any type of creature, but yeah and auto human option would be pretty awesome.

for people that haven't really seen 3d coat's, its more optimized for higher poly work, but you basically import a high poly mesh, paint in areas that you want a higher density detail (face, hands, spikes?, etc), then draw like 10 loops for the major edge loops, and that's it.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haven't gotten it yet but first person to get email please post in thread
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    That was fairly nuts alright.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    ralusek wrote: »
    haven't gotten it yet but first person to get email please post in thread

woke up this morning myself and rushed to my e-mail inbox to no happiness :'(,

It's supposed to be crazy volume for them to deal with:
    Beginning September 20, Cleverbridge will begin sending emails with your download link and serial number. This email will be sent to everyone who has purchased ZBrush 4 or upgraded to it from an earlier version.

Please save this email for your future records! You will need your serial number should you ever have to reinstall or reactivate ZBrush 4R2.
    Due to the large volume of emails to be sent out, it may take up to a week for your upgrade to be received.

Please be patient. You can contact Pixologic or Cleverbridge after September 27th if you have not yet received your email notification.

So I am going to try and brainwash myself with dynamesh amnesia.

As painful as the wait is now that it's being distributed. Free upgrades like this make me happy I commited to Zbrush.

Checked the draster website... No mention of a zswitcher update. Hoping my navigation solution works on day 1.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    i hope our school upgrades to the next zbrush D:
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It should've been released by now. Still waiting. its 20th of Sept. :(
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    It should've been released by now. Still waiting. its 20th of Sept. :(

It can happen that you have to wait for a week to get your email.If they send every customer their email on the same time, their mail server will either crash or/and most likely they will land on many spam filters which is not a good thing ;)

Just be patient
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would be much easier to upload it on the server and authenticate it. Like people who own this product have the serial and are registered. Cracked serials are never registered to the server so there is no way to hack it, unless there is a way to download it and than register.

Thats the fastest way to do this instead of emailing one customer at a time. lol man I can just imagine the customer service rep going crazy doing that. xD
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This would end with customers "ddos"-ing their servers which would stop customers from downloading which again is bad for them and for customers.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    It would be much easier to upload it on the server and authenticate it. Like people who own this product have the serial and are registered. Cracked serials are never registered to the server so there is no way to hack it, unless there is a way to download it and than register.

Thats the fastest way to do this instead of emailing one customer at a time. lol man I can just imagine the customer service rep going crazy doing that. xD

Not really, all you need to have is the database with all the customer emails/ID, blah blah, blah.

Set up (even through a simple python script that has access to your servers) auto-sender to periodically, every couple of minutes, send an email to an account under the last account.

There are many 'scripts' for such things even for Firefox as extensions, especially useful for sites that Time-Out on you, if you browse and download too many stuff from their galleries, or change too many pages quickly, so I would say, Pixo is doing the right thing.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, no release today it seems. But here's some cool new videos that give a much better look at dynamesh

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?161219-Z4R2-Dynamesh-Beyond-the-Polygon-Barrier&p=892912#post892912
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its out now - http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?161231-ZBrush-4R2-Unleashed!

their site is taking a dump atm though. Anyone lucky enough to get their upgrade info already?
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    jes in case u fergot to check yer spam box as well
    Please be sure to keep an eye on your spam filter or junk mail folder, as we know from experience that some of those can prevent the email from reaching your inbox. Only contact Support if you have not received the upgrade by Wednesday, September 28.

Ahaaa! raced back to check out my spam/junk box wich had new junk!
    And only that junk :poly103:
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    64Bit support for zBrush 5 oh what a day!
  • Ace-Angel
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guedins stuff is alwyas awesome, but so are all the other beta threads:
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc-ZBrush4R2-gallery.php

this Noisemaker stuff with curve control and alpha is very VERY interesting
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Can't wait to play with it!
  • Guedin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guedin polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks a lot for your support guys ! I'm glad to see my work was appreciated ;)
    This new updated is definitely a must-have ! I can't think working without dynamesh now
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Extremely awesome stuff Guedin! If you don't mind me asking, what was the song you used in your youtube video "Mech WIP Design Timelapse"?
  • Guedin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guedin polycounter lvl 11
    venain wrote: »
    Extremely awesome stuff Guedin! If you don't mind me asking, what was the song you used in your youtube video "Mech WIP Design Timelapse"?

Ahaha, It looks like you think I was someone else because I didn't put any music in my video ;)
    But I take the compliments anyway :poly136:
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guedin wrote: »
    Ahaha, It looks like you think I was someone else because I didn't put any music in my video ;)
    But I take the compliments anyway :poly136:

My bad! My comment still stands, really awesome stuff, and thanks for the tutorials!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Woohoo... got my email!

Now if only I had the time to actually play around with the new things...
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just bought my license last week so I imagine I'm the last entry in the database. :P I guess I'll have to hang on until the 27th...
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    I was apart of the beta as well, and have to honestly say it's the best one yet. If you do not have a copy, you should get one!, as it is awesome:) Here is a link to the page I am on, and a few more shots can be seen in the gallery if you can't figure out what it is that I created:)

Spark

http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/features/zbrush4r2/features/
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Freaking awesome Spark, though you should have linked to your more awesome beta thread: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?161167-ZBrush-4R2-Beta-Testing-By-Brett-Briley&p=892641&viewfull=1

How were you able to work with the multple creatures in your main piece? Are the each a single subtool or is the finally a grouping system? I ask because I tried to do something similar for the ZB4 beta last year but but had too many problems trying to manage the scene.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm pretty jelly. i have no news and i check my email like once every 15 minutes for it :D
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks ScudzAlmighty:) Each were a seperate subtool or created created in it's own file. Then I would tpose the mesh and bring in the base or items in a their low form to pose the item. Delete the low form before bringing the tpose mesh back into the hipoly version. Then in one final file merge all together, and sculpt tweaks as needed, lets just say the final file was getting large, and had more than my fair share of user error issues:) I plan on doing more posing of my creatures though, and work on composition to do 3d prints, just need to find a good company that will do it for me.

Spark
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Finally got me email! Too bad I have to work a bit late tonight and won't get to play around with it for a few hours.

So excited.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    well guess need to pack up my cintiq to take home tonite, got my email!