Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    I'm sorry, I'm not the only one that sees something slightly... Off? With the texture here? Maybe I'm just not mature enough for this one...

That the zipper looks like a vagoo?
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Making some turrets for a PSP Tower Defence game at school.
    Vert colors and a very quick noise texture. The model will be scaled in-engine, from approximately 20 pixels tall on screen, to about a 100.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtZe8t8Y4mI"]m tiki ecoturret idlevid - YouTube[/ame]
  • Buppy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion wrote: »
    Vert colors and a very quick noise texture. The model will be scaled in-engine, from approximately 20 pixels tall on screen, to about a 100.

m tiki ecoturret idlevid - YouTube

brb torrenting crash bandicoot.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it gets really good at the 3 minute mark
  • green
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion wrote: »
    That looks cool. I would love to see more of the game.
    I'm sorry, I'm not the only one that sees something slightly... Off? With the texture here? Maybe I'm just not mature enough for this one...
    Do you mean those weird spots on his forehead?
    it gets really good at the 3 minute mark
    I laughed.
  • m3nace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Green
    I think it's his uhh... Crotch
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
    just for saying it : apparently, the new version of flash player can now display a game like unreal tournament or other game. so it mean that we need to fix a new polycount limit for flash version :)
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it was just adjusted again for newer mobile devices, web players on beefy computers don't really count
  • Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    pantera2f.png
    Something new and unusual! Oh wait nvm its another car.
    Still a WIP, colors are not final. Neither are the wheel's texture, I took them from the Ferrari.
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paradise.engineering polycounter lvl 11
    wow Delko, thats pure genius.
  • B8MaN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have to agree with paradise. I love how you manage to capture all that detail with such a limited palette, it really makes your models look crisp and gives them a lot of charm. I think the blue looks good too :p
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
    it was just adjusted again for newer mobile devices, web players on beefy computers don't really count

apparantly, we don't need to change mobile phone for to get these new possibilities, did you know that with only galaxy s II or iphone 4 (not the 4s) can do with the game unreal tournament 3 ?

take a look at that thread http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89513 i think you will know much better
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Unity web player has been able to use normal maps and pretty standard tricounts inside of a web browser for ages now, still doesn't mean suddenly the Polycount mobile/web thread is going to let you post an 8k tri character or w/e. So i fail to see what your argument is Allaze. If you want to talk about unreal and the newest flash changes, go to the thread you linked.
  • vvheris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vvheris polycounter lvl 6
    Oh, you perverts.... Ok, i redone it....
    presentation44.png
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I see an Ipad/ipod/android running a game with multiple 22k tri character models and 6 2048^2 textures we can change it. Just because something looks awesome on a small screen doesn't mean it was made to the same spec as the pc.

Infinity blade looks like the bomb, but ultimately uses alot of tricks to get there: loading small areas at a time, typically only 2 characters on screen at a time, highpoly details baked into a diffuse, and I think a lower res normal than diffuse map.
  • Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. Im gunna call this one done for now.
    panterawz.png
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Hi there, this is a low poly tank that I made some time ago for a personal project. I hope you like it, as always crits and comments are welcome :)

tank6.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    mini tank looks cool, how big is that texture looks seriously complicated guess thats because of all the baked ao :/
  • Carl Brannstrom
    How would you animate the tracks?
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How would you animate the tracks?
    my guess is by animated texture. tucho super cute work.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    gonna assume he was wondering because the tracks seem to be on the same tightly packed uv map as the rest of the texture, so moving those uvs won't really result in moving tracks but other parts of the tanks texture being mapped onto them.
    but then again, I'd say that less than 5% of models on polycount are made with animation or any sort of pipeline in mind :poly124:
    fuck it, its all good! :poly136::thumbup:
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for your comments guys, I'm glad you like it :).
    how big is that texture looks seriously complicated guess thats because of all the baked ao :/

Texture is 512x512 px, but I worked on it at double size (1024)
    my guess is by animated texture
    gonna assume he was wondering because the tracks seem to be on the same tightly packed uv map as the rest of the texture, so moving those uvs won't really result in moving tracks but other parts of the tanks texture being mapped onto them.

Both of you are right :), tracks are animated by animated texture and this texture is a different one of 128x64 px.

Wheels are animated in the same way, because they has occlusion baked in the inner part, just the exterior part is animated, moreover they're too lowpoly to animate them directly.
  • Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    That UVmap is nuts man, great job. I love the little bearded soldiers too.

This is the last car for a while, I promise.
    policestang.png
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys! just dropped by to announce you all that
    Lowpoly Workshop Modeling Contest VI has started.
    theme: buildings; triangle budget: 1000; 1Texture 1024x1024px(Alpha included)
    If you're interested and want more details, join us on LPW. Cheers!
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    Hey polygonists.

Was there ever any tutorials/tips of how to make a pixel perfect uv layout for low poly models? Like for example in this character here by martyisnothere. Another great example is kenneth here.

I'm trying to do something similar and now I need to know how to get the most fun out of it. I tend to get lots of texture spill when working with small uv layout like that, and that being one of my problems, I'd like to know how to prevent such errors from occuring. Guess I'll have to find every single setting that might cause any kind of texture smoothing and turn them off.

Using Blender 2.59.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP protagonist duo for an android point-and-click adventure that I'm working on in Unity.

Juan Minky (the dog) is still needs some loving has he's currently a holdover from when it was intended to be a DS homebrew game...

Unity screengrabs w/ custom ramp shader;
    beforeDeath_01.jpg
    Original character concepts by my friend Tom Chambers.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    9skulls wrote: »
    Hey polygonists.

Was there ever any tutorials/tips of how to make a pixel perfect uv layout for low poly models? Like for example in this character here by martyisnothere. Another great example is kenneth here.

I'm trying to do something similar and now I need to know how to get the most fun out of it. I tend to get lots of texture spill when working with small uv layout like that, and that being one of my problems, I'd like to know how to prevent such errors from occuring. Guess I'll have to find every single setting that might cause any kind of texture smoothing and turn them off.

Using Blender 2.59.

Use pixel snap and stretching to your advantage blender specific I'm not sure of but I made this a bit ago.

face-1.gif

heres the Texture.

thing-2.png
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Nice, I love point and click adventure games. Be sure to make a thread of this when it progress further.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Will do, currently spending most of my time writing all the engine stuff at the moment so it's 90% white boxes and spheres, probably will be for another month or so... but then it's arty time \o/
  • johnas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    johnas polycounter lvl 11
    Delko wrote: »
    That UVmap is nuts man, great job. I love the little bearded soldiers too.

This is the last car for a while, I promise.

I hope it won't be, your style is great and I really would like to see more :thumbup:
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talon wrote: »
    WIP protagonist duo for an android point-and-click adventure that I'm working on in Unity.

be careful with your wishful thinking on the shadows there ;) Selfshadowing works obviously but Unity doesn't yet support casting shadows for mobile. (not sure why anymore, some handsets are pretty beefy now)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You would want to make the tracks a separate texture so the UV cords can be looped in code.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »
    be careful with your wishful thinking on the shadows there ;) Selfshadowing works obviously but Unity doesn't yet support casting shadows for mobile. (not sure why anymore, some handsets are pretty beefy now)
    No shadows there, dude.

1 direct light only.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Working on a modular building for the contest over at lowpoly workshop.

currently 1220 tris, most major details in place.
    court_uv.jpg
  • B8MaN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha love the cheeky little truck that sneaked its way onto that pic Baddcog :P Think I am going to have to bite on this contest :) I'm not ready to post any WIPs or anything yet but I have been tooling around with a few ideas, and I think I know where I want to go. Texturing the falcon model was getting me down. Too many intricate details but very little colour variation or contrast, seems very difficult for me to achieve the look I want. I'll probably have another go at it when I've a little more experience under my belt :P, I was very pleased with the way the model turned out either way.
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IMAGE LINKS ARE BROKEN. SORRY :(

Hey, YOU!

Feeling lonely?

Don't quite have as many vertices as your neighbors?

Don't know what to do with your polys you got when your
    ex-wife left you for another bandit?

Then you might just be the badass outlaw
    prospect we have been looking for!

EdgeSplitterzMotorClub-gif1-v3.gif

Join US!

Join us, the most hardcore 1% low poly motorbike club ever,
    EDGE SPLITTERZ and get ready TO CAUSE SERIOUS MAYHEM!
    Compared to us, Garmageddon is going to look like a sunday
    trip to grandma's!

YOU MAY NOT HAVE AS MANY POLYS AS YOUR NEIGHBOR,
    BUT GOD HELP US, THE LITTLE YOU HAVE,
    THEY ARE ABOUT TO KICK ASS MORE THAN MUHAMMED ALI EVER DID!

Seriously, the mission

EdgeSplitterzMotorClub-gif2.gif

... So yeah, I've been watching SoA lately :D Since some shit happened in my
    private life, I decided to go for a mission. A mission to seek out for other
    misfortuned souls to form a unique biker club - the ultimate low poly biker club -
    called Edge Splitterz.

What this post is really all about is to GET ALL YOU BADASS POLYGON BENDERS
    out there to create your own unique BIKER (= bike and rider actually being
    separate models)
    and to just SHOW IT OFF here! BECAUSE I WANNA SEE SOME
    SERIOUSLY BADASS LOW POLY CHOPPERS!

Techy stuff

Limitations and rules? If you are as outlaw as you think you are, you need not
    to know the damn rules!

Though try to keep it as low as possible. For example, the combined face count
    for my biker (that including both rider and bike) is 571 faces (1065 tris). Bike has a 128^2
    texture, and rider has its own 128^2.

Bike: 385 faces (735 tris) + 128^2 texture
    wire-bike_1.gif

Rider: 186 faces (330 tris) + 128^2 texture
    wire-rider_1.gif

PS: I wasn't sure if this was better as a completely new thread or just simple post in an existing one. Oh well...

PPS: To get yourself in the right mood, listen this 8-)

SPLIT THEM EDGEEEESSS!

» See the update no. 1 here «
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome biker, now is that faces or tris?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog: considering you're on polycount, specifically in the lowpoly thread, care to make an educated guess?
  • Skibur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skibur polycounter lvl 5
    Would've been easier just to attempt to answer the question... :/

You'd think he'd be talking about tri's, but I think he's talking about poly's.

Awesome bike and biker, though!
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Baddcog & Skibur Thanks! And sorry if I was a bit unclear about that. By "faces" I obviously meant polys, but I added the triangle count aswell to the original post ^^
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Baddcog: considering you're on polycount, specifically in the lowpoly thread, care to make an educated guess?

Well, I was guess quads on his models. and I did try a rough quick count, but it's really hard with spinning models.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    That is pretty sick 9skulls, I vote for another thread, get this some exposure (good to see some work from you again).

Time permitting, I might just dust off the tools and get cracking myself on this, along with that lowpoly workshop challenge.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skibur: but this was more fun!
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls you ROCK!
    kaptainkernals would be awesome!
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kaptainkernals Cool bro, do that! That'd increase the head count to... like, 2 already! :D

@paradise.engineering Thanks! Now start workin on your chopper already ;D
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Yea i'll have a shot at this 9skulls, although i might have to pull my arms off to stop myself making it on a 256 sheet :P
  • B8MaN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noooo, don't make me start another model... I need to finish something :P but that bike and biker dude are Just too cool, really love your style on that one good job! :)
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @gilesruscoe Aaawwsssuuuuum! Can't wait to see what you come up with! We all live for the challenge right? Cutting down the texture size might do good for ya :D

@B8MaN OH YOU ARE SO GOING TO DROP WHAT EVER YOU ARE CURRENTLY WORKING ON AND MOVE ON TO MAKE A KICKASS RIDE! >:)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, decided to have a go at a bike and rider.

Decided to do a hipster though. Quick non rig pose, lol.

scoot.jpg 1073 tris atm
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking... Well... Carry on. :-D

Your model seems solid, a'ight. Waiting for textures!