Home General Discussion

Steve Jobs is dead

Replies

• Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    He'll be sorely missed.
    His visionary views on mobility and connectivity really pushed the indie scene to blossom in to what it is today.

It's a sad day, a sad day indeed!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Very very sad. I don't care what anyone says, he was one of the greatest innovators and thinkers of our time. R.I.P. Steve.
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RIP Steve Jobs. His achievements and innovations will be long remembered.
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    wow, that sucks so bad, RIP Steve Jobs
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Damn.

RIP, Sir Jobs
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Westboro Church's declared they'll picket his funeral, by tweeting it from...an iPhone.

5kjVw.jpg
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Westboro Church's declared they'll picket his funeral, by tweeting it from...an iPhone.

5kjVw.jpg

Picket his funeral? What, why? I don't get it.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    HP, does Westboro make any sense to you? No one gets them...
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's great, caught using an iPhone to call out Steve Jobs... those people just don't think. Logic scares them into their caves, as well as any beeping sounds or flashing, multi-colored lights.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    PolyHertz wrote: »

.....Fuck, seriously? Damn thats a major depression to Apple and people who were fan of his presentations. I used to love his presentations. :(
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    At least he died very rich.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    achillasian - I still admire his passion for what he has done, regardless of whether your rather subjective replies are all true or not.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'm also a sucker for anyone who helps these guys get to the screen:

lSkx8.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Joopson wrote: »
    He'll be missed, for sure. But it is just another death in the world, and so I can't really say it will affect me much. Apple will carry on his legacy.

Here's a great article, though:
    http://www.naturalnews.com/033793_Steve_Jobs_chemotherapy.html

The real lesson in Steve Jobs' passing, then, is not "oh wow look at all these cool gadgets he left us" -- because that's the juvenile view -- but rather "what can we learn from Steve Jobs about staying authentic in our own lives and our own decisions?"

That's the truest thing i've read about his death all day...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    "what can we learn from Steve Jobs about staying authentic in our own lives and our own decisions?"

That despite the fact you were adopted, you still abandoned your own daughter to live on welfare for years despite you being a millionaire.

I'm gonna book a full medical test, he was too young when he got that first tumour!!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I've never read about that so no judgement from me, but it's mostly about the first part of the sentence... too many people spamming Facebook with that sort of mentality.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Andreas wrote: »
    That despite the fact you were adopted, you still abandoned your own daughter to live on welfare for years despite you being a millionaire.

Great point, because no decent person has ever made terrible, selfish decisions when he was 23 years old and worked to rectify them later in life. Sure, Jobs owned up to the mistake, reconciled with his daughter and subsequently sent her to Harvard, but let's instead focus on his failure when he was barely two years past drinking age...
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Honestly, when I first heard about this, I didn't care. But the more I think about it, the more I realize how big of an influence he was in my life, especially since my life revolves around modern day computers. So sad news indeed.

I'm not a huge fan of apple computers, but I love my iPhone. I'm REALLY interested to see how apple plays out the next couple of years. I want to see how much of it was really Steve, and how much of it was really the guys behind the scenes. The engineers and such that work at apple. The R&D part of it.

The being said.... The iPhone 5 should be renamed to iPhone R (RiPhone)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should say before I continue, that I was quite saddened and shocked by the news today, far more than I thought I would. I had little time for the man.
    TomDunne wrote: »
    Great point, because no decent person has ever made terrible, selfish decisions when he was 23 years old and worked to rectify them later in life.

Abandoning a child, a person, a whole human life??? No, no decent person has ever done that, you are correct. I would never have done that at any age; I know few who would.
    Sure, Jobs owned up to the mistake, reconciled with his daughter and subsequently sent her to Harvard, but let's instead focus on his failure when he was barely two years past drinking age...

Oh, he payed out in the end. That makes it completely ok!

If a regular Joe abandons his kid, hes a prick. If a guy who has given us expensive toys to play with does it (all the while treating the folks who make your product like shit and teaching marketers and businessmen how to bleed people dry),he's still a pretty cool guy!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    His influence goes beyond just having a cool phone - would personal computers be where they are without Apple computer? I think without the Apple II it would of been a slower evolution from the TRS-80 and similar machines.

Even companies responding to Apple has been a great force in developing tech - just look at the glacial pace of cell phone, mp3 players and tablet evolution before Apple entered those markets.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    None of us know enough about his personal life to comment on it. There are many wealthy people who question/deny children when first told about the the child. If you imagine what it's like to be rich, and having women who come after you because of your wealth. I wouldn't be surprised if his daughter's mother wasn't the first to suggest a kid was his.... only that time, it was. He could have reconciled with his daughter way before sending her to Harvard, or buying her extravagant gifts. Does anyone even know if he continued to shun her once paternity results were provided?

Basically, I don't see why anyone should feel the need to hate the guy for how he raised his daughter, other than his daughter and her mother.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Even companies responding to Apple has been a great force in developing tech - just look at the glacial pace of cell phone, mp3 players and tablet evolution before Apple entered those markets.

That's the part that I think about. Love or hate the iPhone/Apple, but the iPhone changed the way cell phones were created. Before the iPhone, there were mainly variants on the clam shell designs. After the iPhone, clam shells looked old. Cell phone interfaces were elevated to the next level. Would Google have Android? Would MS ever have created their mobile OS?
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Agreed 100% Justin. The influence Steve and Apple has had is whats most impressive than any on product.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure this thread is the appropriate place to air personal grievances with the man and how he lived his life. You wouldn't walk into a funeral and start talking shit, would you?

RIP Steve Jobs.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Agreed. People really need to cut the i- etc. references, too. They're cheesy, and lame.

Come on, people.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I may not be a big fan either or know that much about the guy without looking up a lot of it, but wow if you're going to draw conclusions and BBQ the recently departed you might want to so a little bit of reading...
    Denied being the parent of his first daughter, raised on welfare in her early life by the mother. He was already a millionaire.
    I believe he talked about that publicly a few times and admitted that life is messy and that it would be great if everyone could live their lives in hind sight with perfect planning. Righting a long late in life is better than to have never done anything.
    Lucky to get a good family. They were middle class.
    I might need to read up on it but I don't think it was normal smooth sailing. I think there was a divorce in there and some crazy stuff about a sister (not blood related) he never knew he had. Considering the middle class has been evaporating over the last 40+ years its a success story when someone manages to stay in the middle class instead of fall out of it...
    The Woz created the personal computer, Jobs just knew how to sell it.
    I had to look this up on Woz's wikipedia page:
    "In 1970, Wozniak became friends with Steve Jobs, when Jobs worked for the summer at a company where Wozniak was working on a mainframe computer.[2] According to Wozniak's autobiography, iWoz, Jobs had the idea to sell the computer as a fully assembled printed circuit board. Wozniak, at first skeptical, was later convinced by Jobs that even if they were not successful they could at least say to their grandkids they had had their own company. Together they sold some of their possessions (such as Wozniak's HP scientific calculator and Jobs's Volkswagen van), raised USD $1,300, and assembled the first prototypes in Jobs's bedroom and later (when there was no space left) in Jobs's garage."
    They seemed like pretty equal partners to me. Maybe there is some bad blood I'm not reading about, or maybe fanboi's read into a rivalry like they do between Gates and Jobs. It shouldn't shock anyone that Gates and Jobs got along and even did business together over the years.

It's also not surprising that awkward computer nerds have trouble balancing complex personal relationships... who knew...
    Pixar was already on its way, starting with computers financed by Lucas, but Lucas had to sell due to divorce, Jobs just financed it really.
    Without funding it probably would of died with Lucas's marriage. I don't think anyone has ever given Jobs credit for creating. What I appreciate is that he saw enough potential to invest and keep it going so it could go on to do the things that it has.
    People think hes some kind of tech god when he's just a good investor, salesman, and marketer.
    He gave legs to a lot of projects that would of failed and never come to light, he had enough savvy see the diamonds from the dirt and make them successful.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I should say before I continue, that I was quite saddened and shocked by the news today, far more than I thought I would. I had little time for the man.

Abandoning a child, a person, a whole human life??? No, no decent person has ever done that, you are correct. I would never have done that at any age; I know few who would.

Oh, he payed out in the end. That makes it completely ok!

If a regular Joe abandons his kid, hes a prick. If a guy who has given us expensive toys to play with does it (all the while treating the folks who make your product like shit and teaching marketers and businessmen how to bleed people dry),he's still a pretty cool guy!

Jesus, we get it.. It was already mentioned 2 pages ago. It's not all about you.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    Hm....google enjoys the opportunity for a pun, I guess.
  • kevlar jens
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I admired him, and for me it's a huge loss, he was a genious. When i readed the notice in a blog, i thought it was a bad joke :(.

i'm wondering how good will be the future for apple without him.

Rest in peace.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    I may not be a big fan either or know that much about the guy without looking up a lot of it, but wow if you're going to draw conclusions and BBQ the recently departed you might want to so a little bit of reading...
    I believe he talked about that publicly a few times and admitted that life is messy and that it would be great if everyone could live their lives in hind sight with perfect planning. Righting a long late in life is better than to have never done anything.

I might need to read up on it but I don't think it was normal smooth sailing. I think there was a divorce in there and some crazy stuff about a sister (not blood related) he never knew he had. Considering the middle class has been evaporating over the last 40+ years its a success story when someone manages to stay in the middle class instead of fall out of it...
    I had to look this up on Woz's wikipedia page:
    They seemed like pretty equal partners to me. Maybe there is some bad blood I'm not reading about, or maybe fanboi's read into a rivalry like they do between Gates and Jobs. It shouldn't shock anyone that Gates and Jobs got along and even did business together over the years.

It's also not surprising that awkward computer nerds have trouble balancing complex personal relationships... who knew...

Without funding it probably would of died with Lucas's marriage. I don't think anyone has ever given Jobs credit for creating. What I appreciate is that he saw enough potential to invest and keep it going so it could go on to do the things that it has.

He gave legs to a lot of projects that would of failed and never come to light, he had enough savvy see the diamonds from the dirt and make them successful.

How dare you come into this discussion with facts and links? There's not place for that in fanboy hate!

Rip Jobs, you left this world with an amazing legacy that helped change the entire face of consumer technology.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18

The things is, both of those guys have one thing in common. If either of them dies, there is still no point in posting his wrongdoings in a thread like this. The man is dead, let him rest in peace.
  • ofca
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    We lost a really smart person in a world full of morons and we have far to few people like Jobs in this world. Maybe you don't buy or like Apple products, or you don't like the bad blood between Woz and Jobs, or maybe you don't like the way Apple conducts its business. But at the very least you can appreciate and admire the drive that Steve Jobs had and his impact on the world. He was one of the very few people, and we have far to few, that actually wanted to help the world through technology. You may not like the iPhone but it did cause a huge boom in competition in the technology industry and now we have smart phones everywhere. Yes, no one's perfect but having the kind of impact on the world that he had is nothing short of amazing. I hope, from my generation, we'll find more people like Steve Jobs because we're gonna need them; especially in America.

RIP - Steve Jobs
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Everyone knows the story of how Jobs screwed Wozniak out of some money very early on in their careers. Hear what Woz has to say about Jobs today - watch all the way through.

http://youtu.be/dK_XEGrzHUo

Woz describes Jobs as 'kind,' this man who famously once did him wrong. Jobs made mistakes, but he learned from them and tried to be better. Everyone fucks up, not everyone grows from it. It's not how you begin, it's how you end.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    His life was a very bumpy ride, RIP :/
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Everyone knows the story of how Jobs screwed Wozniak out of some money very early on in their careers. Hear what Woz has to say about Jobs today - watch all the way through.

http://youtu.be/dK_XEGrzHUo

Woz describes Jobs as 'kind,' this man who famously once did him wrong. Jobs made mistakes, but he learned from them and tried to be better. Everyone fucks up, not everyone grows from it. It's not how you begin, it's how you end.

Good for Woz to set the record straight. Let's hope the braniacs at Apple continue in his spirit.
  • JacqueChoi
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Usually people who cry fowl are the ones who themselves did something wrong.

RIP Steve.
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor greentooth
    I grew up on nothing but Apple computers, so I kinda feel like I've lost a little piece of myself. You never know what you've got till it's gone.

Rest in peace, Steve.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    That image you posted, Jacque is surprisingly effective. Simple, but very effective. I am kinda sad about this news. I'm not a fan of apple products, except the iPod touch, but it's not hard to separate his company from him. Sad day
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Stolen blatantly from here: http://thecurrentmoment.wordpress.com/2011/10/06/guest-post-the-social-genius-behind-steve-jobs/

My quarrel is not with Apple’s overseas labor practices, deplorable as those may have been. That is a separate issue. It is with the whole idea of the heroic individual entrepreneur who supposedly creates an industry ex nihilo and “makes us rich.”

To say this is to take nothing away from Steve Jobs, who was brilliant at what he did. But what he did was essentially to package the genius of tens of thousands of others, who worked not for extraordinary shares of immense profits or for rock-star celebrity but for love of the work itself. When the technologies are in place, it is inevitable that a Jobs will come along and find the key to commoditizing them, but creation of the technologies is a long, slow, and above all social process, which owes more to the actions of a far-sighted state and to basic research pursued in universities and private labs than to the genius of any entrepreneur.

Think of all the technologies that go into a Mac or iPhone: semiconductor physics, computer languages, ingenious algorithms, liquid-crystal displays, networking protocols, advanced modulation techniques, etc. etc. Steve Jobs was responsible for none of this, and the vast scope of the collective effort that goes into making each handy consumer device is a story that needs to be told by a historian of technology, not a hagiographer. Otherwise we risk confusing the achievement of the individual, remarkable as it may be, with the social achievement–the civilization–that makes it possible.

The singling out of the individual achievement is to my mind an essentially right-wing trope. It encourages the kind of thinking that leads people to argue that the tax system must preserve the profit incentive that is supposed to motivate these”job creators” and ”wealth creators.” But the fact is that emphasizing the economic incentives to individuals ignores the importance of providing other kinds of incentives to the kinds of people who are not motivated primarily by money (and I think that Jobs himself surely was one of those for whom money was a secondary consideration).

No matter how much we enjoy our iPods and iPhones, we should be careful about attributing their existence to individual “genius” rather than to collective effort and the education and organization on which that effort depends.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
  • equil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    people dying is a good reminder to celebrate life.
  • ofca
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    No matter how much we enjoy our iPods and iPhones, we should be careful about attributing their existence to individual “genius” rather than to collective effort and the education and organization on which that effort depends.

I agree that Steve Jobs was a million miles from being solely responsible for anything Apple did, but without him, they wouldn't have done it.

Granted, he was effectively a glorified salesman, but he was perhaps the worlds greatest salesman, and marketing genius if you will. Sure he didn't invent the mp3, he didn't even code the tech behind it, but he made people want it, and he delivered it to millions. He didn't invent the cellphone, in fact the iPhone wasn't exactly mind-blowing in terms of its tech, but he wrapped it up in a package (both literally and metaphorically) that made millions of people want it.

I don't think anyone is actually saying 'Steve Jobs was a legend because he invented, created, developed and manufactured', they are saying Steve Jobs was a legend because he made the all-important connection between the creation and the delivery. Sure you can develop technically great products or visually great products but that doesn't make people
    want them or buy them. It's something we see all the time, incredible developments in design and technology, but ultimately meaningless to the people and the marketplace because they are missing that 'spark' that Steve Jobs managed to bring to Apple products, both through their inception and the way they were presented to the masses.

Steve Wozniak sums up perfectly what I'm trying to say in the video here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15193922

"Psychology-wise he could relate so well to the end users, the buyers of the products. So marketing, I would say was, his greatest strength"

RIP, Steve.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The singling out of the individual achievement is to my mind an essentially right-wing trope. It encourages the kind of thinking that leads people to argue that the tax system must preserve the profit incentive that is supposed to motivate these”job creators” and ”wealth creators.” But the fact is that emphasizing the economic incentives to individuals ignores the importance of providing other kinds of incentives to the kinds of people who are not motivated primarily by money (and I think that Jobs himself surely was one of those for whom money was a secondary consideration)

<3
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18

That's very interesting and I might be missing the point, but this is an honest question:

Does this also apply to all the bad things that humans do? Let's take a very simple example, WW2. Was it just a small group together with Hitler, or whole germany that made them do what they did.

Again, not trying to be a prick, honest question.