Home General Discussion

Zbrush 4 R2

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    OK, seems like this fixed my issues: (last paragraph)

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?160733-ZBrush-4R2-Troubleshooting-FAQ

If anyone of you is having issues in downloading said script, I uploaded to Mediafire.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?0cdzyuatby61ex9
  • RictusGrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice find Ace. Thanks!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I'm having trouble opening R2 tools in Zbrush 4. Can you not go backwards?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy wrote: »
    I'm having trouble opening R2 tools in Zbrush 4. Can you not go backwards?

Why do you mean? Like subtools? Did you try save as ZTool instead of file?
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    OK, seems like this fixed my issues: (last paragraph)

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?160733-ZBrush-4R2-Troubleshooting-FAQ

If anyone of you is having issues in downloading said script, I uploaded to Mediafire.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?0cdzyuatby61ex9

Thanks for this had alot of fun yesterday setting everything up only to find most of vanish.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    R2 tools don't appear to be backwards compatible. You could circumvent the problem by exporting a few OBJs and then re-importing them in zBrush4.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii wrote: »
    Wonder if it's bugged, I didn't use any curve meshes in my tool and when it turns blue it still pulls off the regular tool.
    Any word on this I've got the same thing going on with one of my meshes. There's just a spot on the mesh with no indicators where the brush turns from red to pale blue. The pale blue area has different draw size, focal shift and lazy mouse setting which can be altered with hotkeys.

It's a weird one. I can't see any reason why that particular patch of polygons is any different to the rest of the model.
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    I managed to figure it out, apparently there WAS a curve in my mesh. You can't see it unless you have a curve brush selected but the brush size/color still flips when you mouseover it and you can't actually edit/change the curve... really stupid. Anyway go up to the stroke menu and under the Curve Mode there's a big button called delete, just press it and it should disappear (if that doesn't work, pick a curve brush so that the curve is visible and try to delete it again.)

Has anyone else noticed that the dynamesh resolution slider doesn't appear to do anything after 100? I needed more resolution on my mesh and the only way I was able to solve this was to simply keep scaling the model up before remeshing...
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    I managed to figure it out, apparently there WAS a curve in my mesh. You can't see it unless you have a curve brush selected but the brush size/color still flips when you mouseover it and you can't actually edit/change the curve... really stupid. Anyway go up to the stroke menu and under the Curve Mode there's a big button called delete, just press it and it should disappear (if that doesn't work, pick a curve brush so that the curve is visible and try to delete it again.)

Has anyone else noticed that the dynamesh resolution slider doesn't appear to do anything after 100? I needed more resolution on my mesh and the only way I was able to solve this was to simply keep scaling the model up before remeshing...

Question about the resolution:

Are you just upping your res and trying to remesh? or are you making changes to the mesh before you change resolution and remesh? I've noticed that if you update the resolution without actually making any changes, it wont change the resolution. But once you do anything to the mesh, it will update to the correct resolution.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Ah, that fixed the problem. Cheers.
  • cox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cox polycounter lvl 10
    Does someone know where are those different smooth brushes? like smooth creases

:)
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    venain wrote: »
    Question about the resolution:

Are you just upping your res and trying to remesh? or are you making changes to the mesh before you change resolution and remesh? I've noticed that if you update the resolution without actually making any changes, it wont change the resolution. But once you do anything to the mesh, it will update to the correct resolution.
    Yeah I noticed that early on but I am making changes to the mesh and then remeshing. The resolution density changes when I go down sub 100, but once I go above 100 there's no discernable difference.

cox wrote: »

They're in the ZBrushes/Smooth folder in your x86/Pixologic/Zbrush 4r2/ directory.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Very informative videos, thanks for linking Ace. Really show the new features well.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cox wrote: »

They should be ready for quick access in Lightbox. Smooth folder IIRC.
  • silversteez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I noticed that early on but I am making changes to the mesh and then remeshing. The resolution density changes when I go down sub 100, but once I go above 100 there's no discernable difference.

They're in the ZBrushes/Smooth folder in your x86/Pixologic/Zbrush 4r2/ directory.

i was having some issues with resolution this afternoon and discovered that the size/scale of your model has a huge effect on how high/low poly your mesh can be pushed.

you could try adjusting the size of your subtool with the 'size' option in the deformation palette and see if it behaves and differently when you re-dynamesh it.
  • TeZzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy polycounter lvl 12
    Looks like there is a bug with loading 16bit psd's. Load them up and it's just a blank alpha....works fine in zb4 though.

Regarding dynamesh, I could only get the mesh to go up to about 700,000 odd polys. But felt that it was adequate to get a nice base to work from anyway.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I can't believe the bug with Lightbox popping up every time you start zBrush is still there. They've had an option under Preferences\Lightbox to disable it, but it never worked...
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    I can't believe the bug with Lightbox popping up every time you start zBrush is still there. They've had an option under Preferences\Lightbox to disable it, but it never worked...

Really? Didn't try to disable it yet, but darn it...

Does the old 'hack' method work?
    1. Locate the DefaultZScript.txt file in the ZBrush 4.0\ZScripts folder.
    2. Open the file in Notepad.
    3. Edit the file so it looks like this:
    Code:
    //startup [If,[MemGetSize,Startup_Mem],, [MVarDef,Startup_Mem,1,0] [IPress,Preferences:Lightbox:Lightbox] ] [pd]
    4. Save the file.
    5. Restart ZBrush.

Lightbox will probably appear briefly but will not stay open. You can open it any time by using the comma (,) key.

Small update:
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?161537-ZBrush-4R2-ZClassroom-Movies.-Update-3&p=895791&viewfull=1#post895791
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That old hack does seem to work. But even in the previous version, it never worked for me 100%. Every now and then I'll still see Lightbox when I start ZB.

It just saddens me cause it seems like Pixologic are going in the same route that Autodesk does with 3dsmax. Every release they add new features, some of which are of dubious importance, and stuff that's broken and annoying goes unfixed for a really long time, if ever.
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    Increasing the scale does help but I mean, it seems hackish to keep increasing the size of my model because the slider does jack all after 100+. I agree that it's nice for base meshing but I was kind of under the impression this would be a freeform non-commitive way to sculpt but it seems like in order to get any real detail out of a model you have to commit to a shape and subdivide it down.

Anyway I just want to say so far the best thing about R2 to me is that they got rid of that obnoxious alt+double click = frame hotkey.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I haven't got much to work right so far. I'm still just using brushes, and good ol' sculpting techniques. I REALLY wanted to be able to pull details out of my mesh, and design while I'm sculpting. Maybe I'm just not getting how that's done without raping my model.

For ME so far, it's a whole lot of nothing. Here's hoping I find something a little more worth while in it. And that ALT click = frame thing was something I used all the time. So I miss it :)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always pressed F to Zoom Focus my mesh and reported a bug about the Space Bar tools being broken and needed fixing, so I guess I screwed certain things with my bug reports, sowwy! They were working before from what I gathered.

However, I'm still surprised people are, for a lack of better terms, mishandling dMesh vs. what the original concept was.

dMesh is all about creating the basic forms of your mesh, silhouette and large/medium scale details so that they're equally divided. Using the Pinch tools to creating the basic hard forms of you model which will be hard, so they don't stretch.

It never was meant to create game ready topology, riggable topology, or even small scale detail, they didn't even mention that in any of the videos. They also explained on how if you want more detail, bump up your count from 64/128 to 256+ if you so desire, but again, that was not the true purpose of dMesh.

Once those 'basics' are done, you go the usual route of making it into a mesh, and dividing it manually and polishing up the details.

Let me put it this way, if you make a Gun, and have a part of your mesh that needs to have a hard pinched surface, you do this in dMesh, and then go to the old way of sculpting, the benefit is that you won't get anymore of that 'distorted' look on your model, and you have proper face tension.

Plus, having access to the old school tools in dMesh too, like groups, and being able to polish them via the panel en mass, really cuts down on grind work.

As always, you can mask and divide your model, if you require more detail some place, and you didn't get enough from dMesh later on. It's all about the freeflow and making an equally quaded mesh without distortion on it's basic form.

Lastly, I'm not sure, but I think you can 'change' the lower division levels. If you're sculpting your mesh old school style, and suddenly need to make a massive change, I think you can go down a couple of levels, 'freeze' your division, make the silhouette changes, and then go back and reproject the old details. I'm not sure how this works exactly, since we're still lacking tuto's, but I think it's possible.

Plus, noise maker, I'm pretty sure some pillocks at Bioware are happy with noise maker.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lastly, I'm not sure, but I think you can 'change' the lower division levels. If you're sculpting your mesh old school style, and suddenly need to make a massive change, I think you can go down a couple of levels, 'freeze' your division, make the silhouette changes, and then go back and reproject the old details. I'm not sure how this works exactly, since we're still lacking tuto's, but I think it's possible.

Yeah, if you look in Geometry, there's a toggle called Freeze Subdivision Levels. It basically "collapses" your tool into one subdiv level. Reason I put that in quotes is because it's only temporary. Then you can go into Dynamesh and do whatever with it. Change the shit out of it. Then when you toggle it off, it makes your new tool be the subdiv-lvl-1 of your old tool, and projects the detail from the higher levels onto it, masking the old stuff.

So it's basically GoZ, only staying within zBrush.

Personally, I just played with it a bit and got some real nasty results. And if you consider that by their own design it's basically GoZ, then why not just use that? GoZ is really powerful and what you get is a clean mesh. Dynamesh has tris all over the place.

Dynamesh as a whole seems very messy to me. The only thing I'll be using it for is for speedsculpts, maybe for mini-competitions, and maybe as a way to do some thumbnails.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I figured I was missing something. I don't have the time I wish I did to experiment with this thing right now. Just gotta go with the old workflow for now. Dynamech isn't making sense right now, and I don't have a project to use on it that will really help me understand it.

Gonna look into claytime though, and see what that's about. Haven't touched it at all yet. That looks interesting, and like something I'd be able to use a little more easily.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Bigjohn, dynamesh doesn't generate any triangles at all.

I think it's a great addition, and you can actually go pretty far into detailing before committing to a shape, for example the default example sphere is 2.6 million points when at a 1024 dynamesh resolution, that's plenty of points to do some pretty detailed pieces (of course this changes once the bounding box of your shape grows etc, but still).
    I couldn't imagine going back to not having it already myself.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    I did not have a lot of time to play with it but so far I love it. For first time a 3d application gives the possibility to freely concept out things as it says in some of the posted videos. I did not know what was I doing but after only few minutes i had shapes in front of me. This feels like a brand new package to me and it is opening so many doors. Regarding how good is it for your final sculpting mesh I am not sure yet but I will definitely try to incorporate it in my workflow.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it's basically GoZ, only staying within zBrush.

Wait, I thought GoZ was simply exporting your model to another package via optimized alogathrims to not crash your programs, with say a 4 million poly OBJ in Max, or was I mistaken?

Or do you mean Sculptris > dMesh?
    Dynamesh as a whole seems very messy to me. The only thing I'll be using it for is for speedsculpts, maybe for mini-competitions, and maybe as a way to do some thumbnails.

DING DING DING DING! We have a winner! That's exactly what dMesh is for, concepting out your shape, not detailing it. Having a base to work on without constricting yourself to technicalities on the lower levels.

The only short coming of dMesh is the low polycount limitation, which so far seems to be 6.5 millions polies. Hopefully, with v5 around the long corridor, with x64 poweress, we can go much further then that, and get in some small details in the future.
    Bal wrote: »

Are you sure? I frequently check the Frame of my mesh, and see triangle in many locations, especially on the starting sphere on the four pinch edges.

Although it's not an issue, since they're all 'equal' in size, so a smooth brush doesn't pinch it out.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Indeed, I stand corrected, there are plenty of triangles, sorry. :D
    But yeah, it's never been much of a problem for me.

And what he meant with GoZ, is that you can reimport your model after having changed the topology in another app, and Zbrush will reproject the details onto the new topology, exactly like that new dynamesh workflow.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pfft, lucky you guys, whenever I use GoZ, my mesh isn't in the correct position for me to reproject my details. Didn't try it in R2, but for me, dMesh solved all of my "Oh God, Oh Lordy, Oh Jesus, my mesh is flipped on the Z axis and rotated by 45* and I can't continue sculpting, so I have to export in a certain way and hope for the best in baking it".
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    DING DING DING DING! We have a winner! That's exactly what dMesh is for, concepting out your shape, not detailing it. Having a base to work on without constricting yourself to technicalities on the lower levels.

The only short coming of dMesh is the low polycount limitation, which so far seems to be 6.5 millions polies. Hopefully, with v5 around the long corridor, with x64 poweress, we can go much further then that, and get in some small details in the future.

6.5 mil quads per sub tool, or 6.5 mil quads in general. You can break it down in to parts, work them out.

This conversation is soo making me want to update my zbrush before I submit my comicon. >.<

The only time I use Go Zbrush function is when I want to work in Maya and I am too lazy to go through 2-3 step process of exporting out pieces.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that you are bringing that up Ace - it happens to me too and I have no idea why is it doing it and when- sometimes it works just fine but most of the time it is messed up.
    Also I dont believe they did anything new on GoZ :(
    Since we are talking about GoZ sometimes it only exports one subtool even if i hit "ALL" does anybody here experience this? I posted on zbrush central but did not get much help.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski wrote: »
    Now that you are bringing that up Ace - it happens to me too and I have no idea why is it doing it and when- sometimes it works just fine but most of the time it is messed up.
    Since we are talking about GoZ sometimes it only exports one subtool even if i hit "ALL" does anybody here experience this? I posted on zbrush central but did not get much help.

This is happening to me too, so either you merge down, or you click Goz several times. I cant do merge all and all export all.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say per tool, since they said 'per mesh'.

And breaking down is a good idea, but not if the model requires to be organic and 'seamless' for a lack of better terms. A good system can average around 10M polies while still being able to work on your model without too much issues (just hide parts of your models you don't want to work on, it speeds up the response time in ZB).

Just find that magic number of polies (2.5m or 0.625m) and you should reach 10M no problem, having even polies cover that will serve well in both sculpting and painting. So Win-Win for dMesh for me.
    disanski wrote: »

No, they didn't touch GoZ in a long time. Last update included Photoshop support, but...less said, the better.

Also, in Z4, they had this nasty bug where the flip and flops of export in Preference > Import/Export would reset every time you started up ZB, or change midway through sculpting if you had a complicated custom UI. It's annoying, especially when I need to use Xnormal for Baking and after a new session, I find out my originally setting have changed.

And yeah, it's weird, I found out that for some reason (in my case) I need to have a clean scene in Max, and when I click 'send' in ZB, I must stay on ZB till the process finishes. Once ZB is responsive again, I can go to Max. Apparently, tabbing to another package while this is going cancels and crash's the process, so I have to close both Max and ZB and start again for it to work.

The most reliable 'GoZ' functions currently are the ones for Sculptris and Blender or use Norman3D's Max GoZ script.

Also, a little tip, if you're using a certain package, I would suggest you guys (for example in Max) to export a 2x2m cube or sphere to ZB and use that as your 'subtool' to keep everything in proportion and locked down from moving around. I don't know why, but a good 92,63% of the time, this solves any issues I have with size and position...and yes, keep it as subtool in your file.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal wrote: »

Yeah it does. Not only that, it uses quite a bit of diamond-shaped quads too. Those are almost worse, cause you're getting 4 pole vertices. Which means a boatload of pinching. It's very messy, and it shows real fast when you're trying to smooth things out.

See my attachment for an example.

(BTW, how the hell do you show an attachment as an image in a post on Polycount? Can't figure it out)

That said, I don't think it's that bad. You can easily overcome the pinching as long as you can settle for something a bit more messy. It's perfect for concept sculpts, or speedsculpts just for fun. But I wouldn't use it in production.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait, I thought GoZ was simply exporting your model to another package via optimized alogathrims to not crash your programs, with say a 4 million poly OBJ in Max, or was I mistaken?

Or do you mean Sculptris > dMesh?

The main advantage of GoZ is that it masks off the areas you didn't touch. So this means that I can use it to say remove a finger, or better yet, add a finger, or a whole arm quite easily.

You can kinda do the same thing now with Dynamesh. Say you're doing a sculpt of some creature. Then decide that it needs horns. You can either use GoZ to add the horns in Max, or drop down to Dynamesh and add it that way.

But like I said, the Dynamesh solution seems very off to me. And since I have Max at my disposal, I'd much rather use GoZ.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeahh I tend to use GoMax as well- GoZ never really worked for me. I am going to mess with it a bit more.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They still dont have GOZ for XSI. :( Oh well, I was soo looking forward to buy that program.

Anyways, I have a very noob question to you guys. Did you uninstall the Zbrush 4.0 after installation of Zbrush 4.0 Release 2?

(BTW, how the hell do you show an attachment as an image in a post on Polycount? Can't figure it out)

IMGUR
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DO NOT uninstall 4.0 before installing R2, it's repeated like 6 times in the install e-mail and setup file. Though it installs as a seperate version where you can still use 4.0 for whatever reason.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm..So all you guys have both installed still.

Interesting. =\
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, DUH! You never uninstall an old product when the new one comes out Product Lust 101!
  • papagersi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    papagersi polycounter lvl 16
    I removed after installing of R2.. it''s been working well :D
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it didn't say anywhere not to uninstall AFTER installing/upgrading... but why have one version when you could have 2??? (actually i haven't even uninstalled my beta version of 4.0 yet, so there Ace ;)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I've been putting R2 through its paces for about the last week, and am really impressed. Part of that could be because I never delved into the hard surface tools till now, so other then using a few newer brushs been treating ZB like it was still version 3.1.

Speaking of new features, anyone know how when editing curves to keep zbrush from re-defining the last editied point at the start/end? It makes editing tapered curves sort of a pain because the falloff direction keeps changing.

BigJohn: you can smooth out pinched areas in zbrush via the alternative smooth (shift+lmb release shift and continue dragging).
  • BojanStankovski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BojanStankovski polycounter lvl 6
    Is there a way to transfer a obj from XSI to Zbrush? Like GoZ for Max and Maya.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?91860-GoSoftimageLite-until-GoZ-for-Softimage-is-done

I am not sure if it'll work. You can just export the selected objects and save them as obj. Than import one object and append rest of the objects with it. If you get it working like really get it working, making the shelf and a button within xsi for zbrush and all. Do let us know. It didnt really work for me. :)

Officially, they are not going to implement GOZ Softimage XSI in any upgrades. =\

EDIT: Can we start sharing the stuff we made quickly in zbrush 4 r 2?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    please start sharing :)

i dynameshed this alien overlord dude today and I'm very desperate for heeps of un-construtive praise

09OCT2011.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BojanStankovski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BojanStankovski polycounter lvl 6
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?91860-GoSoftimageLite-until-GoZ-for-Softimage-is-done

I am not sure if it'll work. You can just export the selected objects and save them as obj. Than import one object and append rest of the objects with it. If you get it working like really get it working, making the shelf and a button within xsi for zbrush and all. Do let us know. It didnt really work for me. :)

Officially, they are not going to implement GOZ Softimage XSI in any upgrades. =\

EDIT: Can we start sharing the stuff we made quickly in zbrush 4 r 2?

Isn't working for me either.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Having some hard times with Alpha Import in R2...Anybody else getting garbled/broken alpha import on images larger than 512?
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Having some hard times with Alpha Import in R2...Anybody else getting garbled/broken alpha import on images larger than 512?

I was having that issue with certain file types, I forget which. I ended up just resaving them out as jpegs (yeah, I know) and then they worked fine.

Btw, dynamesh wins.