Home General Discussion

Warhammer 40k: SPACE MARINE

Replies

• ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    GIVE IT TO ME!!!!NOW DAMMIT!

Also, that lighting looks really nice, everything seems to pop with a lot of form
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I gotta say the characters and lighting are incredible!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I just played through both levels of the demo. Lots of nice, visceral combat, excellent animation, VERY good sound (I especially liked the audible indication that your ammo is running low), and shooty-choppy-gory-splattery action. I hope there's a little more variation in environments than the brown-on-brown that's in the demo and all the videos and screens I've seen, though.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    I played through the first part of the demo and it was awesome! Huge props for the great PC version of the game! I cant wait until i get my hands on the full game, we are around 6 at work so far who are talking about playing multiplayer together.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I just played through both levels of the demo. Lots of nice, visceral combat, excellent animation, VERY good sound (I especially liked the audible indication that your ammo is running low), and shooty-choppy-gory-splattery action. I hope there's a little more variation in environments than the brown-on-brown that's in the demo and all the videos and screens I've seen, though.

I was going to write a reply, but this is exactly what I felt.

Great demo - looks to be an awesome game. I'm a huge fan of Space Marines in general, and I dare say this is absolutely the best portrayal of the space marines yet. Dawn of War was fantastic in that regard, and Space Marine is as well.
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    Played this yesterday its was awesome!!!!! The demo was fairly challenging in parts as well :)
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Really enjoyed the demo on the 360. Controls felt tight and the mechanics seem nicely balanced between shooting and melee. The power axe is a great weapon to carve greenskins with :D
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Tulkamir wrote: »
    This guy's demo walkthrough thing is freaking awesome. He's very entertaining to listen to. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb50aAFiOpM&feature=feedu

TOTAL BISCUIT! He casts starcraft 2 games as well.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah played it a bit and am liking, it is WAGGGGH!

But wheres the AA?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    downloaded the demo, but the game does not render on my pc. :( the UI shows up fine, but the only part of 'game' that shows AT ALL is about an inch square in the top left corner. :(
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    If they come up with a DLC pack where you can play as some kind of nut-kicking BlackOrc, I'll be all over that shit like a hobo on a ham sandwich.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    coverforweak.jpg

comes out tues. found my new desktop background :D
  • mastershokhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm playing the demo now and this shit is so fun! Congrats to the sound and vfx teams. This might seem weird but this team needs to make a robocop game
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I enjoyed the demo a lot, the game has a great gameplay, very arcade. I'm wishing to recive my 2 copies and play it with my brother :)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    holy crap that looks fun! can' wait!
  • confracto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    confracto polycounter lvl 11
    wishing I could get the demo to run, just crashes silently on startup :(

was fun when I had a chance earlier to play tho :D
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Played the demo on both PC and 360, really solid experience on both. Just need to decide which to buy it for now.

So glad to see what Relic have been doing with the GW franchise.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
  • NathanA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had such high expectations for this game and oh man did that demo just live up to them :)
    From what i can see it feels perfect. The weight of the Space Marines feels spot on. The visuals, sound, gameplay and everything else are just really, really well thought out. Can't wait to have the final product in my hand.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Really want to play it but the audio is being hell buggy for me and being all choppy in action. :/.
  • Tulkamir
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    So... I don't like Gears of War, and I have never delved into the Warhammer universe.

But I still want this game. Badly.

Uuhh...

Congrats Relic? :P
  • NathanA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz wrote: »
    Really want to play it but the audio is being hell buggy for me and being all choppy in action. :/.

This was the only thing bad about my experience as well... I'm not sure what it is but I would assume it has to do with my computer not being too uber. Maybe some drivers need updating?

I will say though that I have had this problem in other much less graphically intensive games and it usually resulted in the game slowing down so much it crashed. This didn't happen with this game though, once the action slowed down and there weren't so many bodies exploding it went back to normal.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    I played the demo for this and I gotta say it's the surprise of the summer for me. I'm really hoping the multiplayer is as good and meaty as the demo SP seems to be.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    We're in a ridiculous situation here in the UK. Even though it's a Steamworks game, we can neither buy it or even play the demo on Steam (without an obscure workaround) because the retail chain "Game" has flatly refused to stock it in any format if UK punters can buy it on Steam. Dick move Game, dick move.
  • NuZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I must say, this was excellent.

Singleplayer campaign: awesome. The characters, the environments, the lighting, the story: all exceptional. Melee combat mechanics are fluid. The weapons always felt exceptionally strong even on hard difficulty. Mad props for getting Mark Strong to voice Titus. Perfect match if there ever was. Thank you for the cameos and thank you for showing off Titans.

Multiplayer: I'm not sure if anyone else experienced this, but the game feels close to Gears of War 2 multiplayer in the sense of weapons behaving as they should. Aside from that, not much to complain. However it seems that, as host, in these peer to peer games you will do better than most. Not as host, people took an extreme amount of damage before dying. Even when melee'ing other people they could take 3-6 swings. Whereas on the receiving end of assault swings, you could only take 1 hit before dying. Man is it frustrating to put melta shots point blank into someone and watch them strut right through it. p.s. I'm already level 41. At least the leveling system in this game is infinitely more favorable than that of similar multiplayer setups i.e. Bioshock 2, Dead Space 2.

edit: for spelling.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Watched my 10 year old brother burn through the single player, it looked very cool and the hack and slash gameplay suits it well. Multiplayer seems shallow, but fun enough if you love the license and want to continue playing after beating the campaign.

This game really was dead on arrival for me. The lack of co-op is just brutal. The horde mode coming within a month isn't going to help, seeing as how Gears 3 will be on store shelves before then. Still, I'm glad Relic was able to please fans of the license and deliver a solid game! :)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    god damn i want to play so bad... live account was stolen! maybe this weekend ill just play with a local profile :)
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I bought 2 copies expecting a co-op campaign and i should have cancelled one :( (in the Relic forums they said it was a co-op game, LIES!!!!), so now i'm terribly disappointed with the game. The "free DLC" of "exterminatus" is like a bad joke for me, free huh? don't make me laugh. They rushed a lot in the development and they sold the game without the content a game must have on its first day. Wtf is this?

Red Faction Armageddon has its "infestation" mode, and that's the same... but you know what? i can't find players to play with because the game didn't sell a shit due to piracy, you know... one player does not sell nowadays (and it's a GREAT game).

The single player may be ok if you like to play alone. but again, like in too many games, in the demo i noticed the AI for the other space marines are useless, because it's like they don't kill a shit, they don't do anything (for that i prefer to play without bots, alone, they are just a nuisance). The game could have had a great potential if at least could have something like Transformers: War of Cybertron, with a very very arcade co-op campaign and its several multiplayer modes.

BTW, another example, Gears of War PC had co-op campaign and was spectacular.

So difficult is to add a co-op campaign like other games do?. The example games i put also have its own multiplayer modes, but what the heck... why this?

Sorry, but i needed to say all this! the next time i will wait to see the metascore points :)

A good game that could have been great. I received a kick in the balls buying 2 copies :)

Now is time to define what is Co-op...
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Few things i know to be true in life and when one of them is spouting empirical greatness, i know it to be brilliance.

As posted previously,
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb50aAFiOpM&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Never have i heard him so happy.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the enthusiasm in that video made me want this game more than actually playing the demo did.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    seriously loved the demo, when i get some $$ ahead its a definite buy for me.
    great PC support, Very optimized, runs great on my terrible pc and a fine tribute to 40k i'd say. Great work to everyone involved!
  • NuZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fun note. You can vengeance launcher a fellow assault marine, have him come down on someone and you can detonate for the kill. Your fellow marine will be unharmed. Much like UAV bombing in BFBC2.

Sad note. Host player can go idle and continue to host, leaving a team 1 man down...unacceptable.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Please tell me we're going to get Power Fist/Claw DLC!? :x

And any hints on future content?
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Really enjoying the single player so far. I think it's made me start to grow a third testicle and second adam's apple.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Really glad you guys like it! :)

For future content - I can't say anything other than what's been said. We've got stuff coming, it's gonna be awesome (atleast I hope people will think it's awesome).

Exterminatus is what I've been working on. It's our coop survival mode. http://www.spacemarine.com/blog-post/space-marine-%E2%80%93-co-op-mode-%E2%80%98exterminatus%E2%80%99-announced
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Yeh fucking excellent game! My only small complaint would be to stick with the lore some more but hey you gotta do a game to right :P
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Tulkamir wrote: »
    Really glad you guys like it! :)

For future content - I can't say anything other than what's been said. We've got stuff coming, it's gonna be awesome (atleast I hope people will think it's awesome).

Exterminatus is what I've been working on. It's our coop survival mode. http://www.spacemarine.com/blog-post/space-marine-%E2%80%93-co-op-mode-%E2%80%98exterminatus%E2%80%99-announced

So there's going to be quite a bit more planned after Exterminatus, yeah? That's all I hope for. D:

Really enjoying it so far, addicted to multiplayer.. Managed a 15 win streak last night! Playing as an Assault with a Chainsword and Bolter. ;)

Though, when I bump into a team of mainly Devastators.. *cries*
    It's a good game of Rock, Paper, Scissors, with a twist of skill.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    *cough*playableorks*cough*
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I started playing the multiplayer today, and wow. Very sluggish controls, only two mission types, and one hit kill easy mode weapons.

Not being able to kill anything and expending all my ammo into some level 30+ people and not getting a kill. They just turn around look at me, and I die.... instantly.

Very poor multiplayer experience coupled with only one environment and three classes. Seriously.... one environment in the whole game!

As a huge 40k fan my self this was a huge let down in regaurds to the multiplayer. Sorry guys! Singleplayer was a very enjoyable experience though!
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    I'd like to play on a drifting space hulk with genestealers and other nids. I know the pacing probably wont change but I think something dead space 1 paced horror on a space hulk would be so cool. Maybe playing as an inquisitor searching for relics or whatever. I love you 40k <3
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Cojax wrote: »
    Very poor multiplayer experience coupled with only one environment and three classes. Seriously.... one environment in the whole game! Overall this game feels like a rushed xbla game at best.

There is a whole singleplayer campaign attached to that multiplayer. So you can accuse it of having tacked on multiplayer but comparing it to a rushed xbla game is really over doing it and a major disservice to everyone who worked on it.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    There is a whole singleplayer campaign attached to that multiplayer. So you can accuse it of having tacked on multiplayer but comparing it to a rushed xbla game is really over doing it and a major disservice to everyone who worked on it.

I may have taken it to far. However I thought the single player was an enjoyable experience. I'm just not having fun with the multiplayer right now. I don't want to give any disservice, but I'm just just straight up frustrated with the multiplayer right now.

The xbla comment was in regards to the multiplayer. Just felt like their wasn't much in the multiplayer.

Also great job on bolters. Feels just like it should :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Cojax, you haven't finished the campaign if you're saying theres only one environment ;)
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10