Homeā€ŗ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

nDo2 BETA

Hey all!

About a year ago I released a thing called nDo. The feedback I got from you guys was nothing short of amazing, and the tool really grew thanks to your input. 16 releases later, sadly, the limitations of scripting started to get in the way of all your kick-ass feature requests.

It was time to do nDo for real. I quit my job. My friends quit theirs. We ate gruel for 8 months.

We present nDo2!

nDo2beta_general.jpg

nDo2beta_ao.jpg

nDo2beta_photo.jpg

nDo2beta_3d.jpg

We just released the nDo2 site -- check it out and retweet like crazy!

Initially we planned on a closed beta, but just now we thought, hey, screw it! Everyone should be able to get nDo2! Sign up NOW for the open beta! Tell all your friends!

Major credit goes out to the guys at Blizzard, EA Blackbox and Sjoerd ā€œHourencesā€ De Jong, who all helped make nDo2 what it is. And of course, you guys. You rock.

- Teddy & the Quixel Team

EDIT -- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Installation instructions
nDo2 Tutorial

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Holy crap! I was just using nDo at work and now this! Awesome!! :D
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Wow looks sweet, can't wait to try this out :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    wow man, congratulations on your release!

just signed up for the beta, and will be telling friends. and the lincense costs are extremely attractive! although, due to the way some banks work in the uk, i'll probably end up having to pay almost Ā£69 for my license as opposed to the actual currency converted amount.

would you look into actual UK/EU pricing for those regions?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I thought something like this was coming... Looks amazing.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Looks simply amazing!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    ohhh man, I've only dabbled a little bit with the first version but even there, it was indispensable to my workflow. it's only going to get more vital. thank you so much for your hard work, this is a great tool.
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    Cant register.. Using Chrome after registration and verification at login step it always remain on same page when I hit submit.
  • hamzaaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa polycounter lvl 11
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    that happened to me on firefox, cupsster. but there was an email in my junk inbox from quixel.se try looking for that.
  • RictusGrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks to be awesome. Thank you for this! However, I am crashing using CS 5.1 64 bit. I did run PS in admin mode first as required. I thought I was updated on all the requirements (DX, Net 4.0) but I will double check this.

In the tutorials there's a few things that could benefit users by being better explained:
    1. For setup, there should be a section for people who have nDo1 installed and about removal if it's necessary or not.
    2. I do not think it's entirely clear when or how to run nDo2.
    Do you run it before PS launches or after? Do you click on the app icon in the nDo folder to run it? Or is it run the original way via the Actions menu:?
    3. The download links for Setup files (DX, Net 4.0) should probably all point to English links, I think at least one was Swedish.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff! Posted on the news page :)

That ao generation is looking sexy.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    My god, I have been using this for less that 5 minutes and I'm already in love with it. I think I shall be buying this
  • z3phon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome!! nDo has been a part of my workflow since a while now. Looking forward to this release.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet! I'll have to give this a go.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just tried it out on my rock texture for my ArenaNet art test. The results I got are much better than I got from messing around in Crazybump. I noticed a few things though that should be fixed or could be implemented.

1. When I generated an AO from a tiling normal map it doesn't seem like it creates a tiling AO.

2. The first time I converted I couldn't get any good results messing around with the settings. Then I noticed the presets at the bottom and tried one of them and got something useable right away. Maybe it'd be best to start out by generating with one of those presets? Maybe it's possible to have it start by doing that though and I just didn't set it up yet?

3. It'd be great if there was a Copy To Clipboard in the file menu. I try to keep as few files as I can and right now to use the AO I had to save it to a TGA, open that TGA in Photoshop and then paste it into my diffuse's PSD. Maybe it's possible to copy it after you zip it but after I was using the program for about a minute the Zip button mysteriously disappeared or moved to a place where I couldn't find it.

Other than those few things I was very impressed though. Great job guys!
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks for all the comments guys!

RictusGrin,
    Great suggestions, I will add these immediately to the installation instructions. To answer your questions directly:

1. Good idea, I will add a section about nDo1. FYI, it is not necessary to remove the tool.
    2. nDo2 is run by executing nDo.exe. This can be done both if PS is closed or open. If PS is closed, running nDo2 will launch PS automatically. If you're running 64-bit PS you should run the x64 version of the tool.
    3. Sorry about the Swedish link and big thanks for catching, will correct right away.

I'm very sorry to hear you got a crash on start -- did you perhaps get an error message of sorts? How far along did you come, was the nDo2 splash displayed?

My sincerest thanks for reporting.
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I checked and unmarked as spam. Clicked link to visit activation URL but after that no go from there, I'm going to try (login) it again now.
  • RictusGrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teddy,
    I'm crashing after I launch Ndo and I try to create a normal map from a blank 512x512 document in PS 5.1. File > new normal map.
    I just get an nDo has stopped working dialogue and the CLOSE PROGRAM button.

As a side note I reinstalled the required files. No change.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another problem I just found. I tried opening Ndo without Photoshop open and it doesn't open Photoshop. It just crashed for me. It still works fine if I open it while Photoshop is already open though.
  • euclidius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    euclidius polycounter lvl 17
    oohh maaan- I just tried it- I'm definitely getting this! congrats on the premiere release- nDo Team :)
  • murphy7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing! Loved the first version cant wait to test the second one. Great job!
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean VanGorder,
    Wow, thanks for the news post! Very kind of you :)

cupsster & almighty_gir,
    Glad you got it sorted out. We'll add a line in the registration process warning that the verification mail might be filtered as spam, to avoid confusion.

RictusGrin,
    The installation instructions have now been updated in accordance with your feedback: http://quixel.se/forum/index.php?topic=7.0

To me it sounds as if the tool fails to connect to Photoshop for you. How does the nDo2 window look for you, completely blank grey, or with a big "New normal" button? If blank grey, you've got no connection.

Just to be sure you got it right:
    1. Run Photoshop as admin
    2. Close Photoshop
    3. Run Photoshop as regular user
    4. Run nDo2

Note that this only has to be done once, as it makes PS write information to the registry that is crucial for nDo2 to connect correctly.

I'm hoping we'll solve your problem swiftly!
  • RictusGrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teddy,

I have followed your instructions to run as admin previously...it's not working.
    I am seeing the New normal button.
    When clicking this I get the same crash.
    Note: Double-clicking nDo 64 launches PS

Im gonna reboot and post a screenshot.
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Can't wait to give this a try at home! Hope this program becomes a success, quitting your job to work on it is a pretty huge leap, so hope it pays off for you!
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you RictusGrin. A screenshot will be of great help.

Zipfinator,
    Really solid feedback. Practically all of the points you bring up are all planned for and noted in my backlog.

Regarding Presets, it is indeed a hassle to first have to convert your photo into an (in this case) unusable normal, then apply the preset. I'll see what I can do about this for the next release. I will also add a bunch of new presets -- there are currently not many at all available. I've already started working on this.

You are correct, currently the AO is not tiling, however I have a very near-future fix planned -- it will most likely be part of the next version.

I'll add in a copy to clipboard function. Small PS tip: in your AO document, try Ctrl+A, Ctrl+Shift+C -- this will copy the entire document to clipboard, and you can simply paste it into your diffuse file as a single layer.
  • RictusGrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teddy, Here's what I am seeing on launch of nDo2

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/196/ndolaunch.jpg/

(Sorry I couldn't embed the image)

FYI: Win 7 64bit
    Latest Nvdia drivers

Note that I am using PS Extended. Not sure if that would change anything.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats man, tools like these make my coffee taste so good.

Respect!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Can you make a student version? Pretty please? lol
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great! manage to solve all issues! Loos promising.. You have new client :) Just need to evaluate workflow..
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Found a tiny bug in my few minutes of playing around. When you close down photoshop while nDo is still running and then use the "go down a layer" button, it will start up photoshop and then crash :p

Maybe disable all the buttons while photoshop is not open and just add a single "start photoshop" button to it?
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS,
    Not a bad idea. You can never be too fail-safe.

RictusGrin,
    Thank you for the image! Something is definitely up with your nDo2, the 3D part looks quite broken for you. Me and my colleagues will look into your problem ASAP. I presume you have the latest graphics drivers installed?

Thanks again.
  • RictusGrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes running Nvidia drivers 280.26

Im also up to date on all Windows updates for Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    Killer work Teddy!
  • Mike_Carlyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike_Carlyle polycounter lvl 17
    Teddy, Awesome stuff! Many thanks to you and your team!

I hope it's not right in front of my face and I'm just missing it, but the 3D Viewer deal? Is it another nDo window that's suppose to launch on startup? I don't see it or any option on the main window to launch it.

Also, on the main window, I went to 'Edit > Toggle Visibility' and it crashes nDo for me.. I'm running CS4 64 / Win7 64
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Oh man, i'm gonna play this puppy bad when i come home! The AO is very welcome i have to say! This almost seems to good to be true! :D
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike_Carlyle,
    Right now, the 3D previewer will launch as soon as you create your normal -- have you created a normal map and still not gotten the previewer? If so, the previewer has crashed without generating a crash report. We have recieved a similar report and are now looking into it.

Thanks for reporting the Toggle Visibility crash. We'll have this fixed by next release.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Looks awesome!
    Any plans on a promotion video to showcase nDo2 features?
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks kodde! Yes, we will try to have a video ready soon. For now, if you want to dig deep into the nDo2 feature set, there is this tutorial: http://quixel.se/forum/index.php?topic=5.0
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    first i was TOTALLY excited...
    then i got to the registration site and you broke your promise to leave it for free??

not that its not totally worth it, just... u broke your promise?

and gratz on release! you guys rock!
  • scrawld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scrawld polycounter lvl 12
    Just gave the beta a whirl and its pretty sweet. Although I can't for the life of me find the 3D preview feature. Am I just being blind or is it not included in the beta?

EDIT: Sorry, should have read the rest of the thread. I think I'm having the same problem as Mike, running CS5 64 here. I'll have a play and see if its something I'm doing wrong.
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx,

No! Not at all! The original nDo script is still free for commercial use. I will never break that promise. That is what I meant. I'm so sorry if I mislead you, that was never my intention!

:(
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats some great news. Will defo try out the BETA :)
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    oh, i see... well i guess i misunderstood you then...
    whatever, no offense taken, as i already speculated you need some money to live off of, so i'll get myself a paypal account just for you!
    (who would want to use the first version if this one is avaialbe??^^)

needs some proper testing, but running ndo for the first time it started ps, then broke.
    restarting it while ps is still opened made it work though, so i'll suspect its just the beta...

edit: nvm, never started ps as admin here, pc is 2 weeks old >.< my bad!
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    RIP Crazybump, you have been a nice fellow.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    So i tried to register for the beta. Didn't get any email? I did it from my work computer with safari.. What to do?

[EDIT] I asked for a password request, and it made me type a new one. But i still can't login.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    RIP Crazybump, you have been a nice fellow. +1

great job man. its people like you that make this work a lot easier and funnier :D
  • chrisavigni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    Teddy: Just one word: Amazing! Loved the new interface. I got a crash when I tried to convert to AO. Just once and now it is working fine.
    Once again thanks.
  • nbreslow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbreslow polycounter lvl 11
    Just wanted to drop a quick note to say how impressed I am with this tool! Just played around with it for a while and I really like it. Great work!

-NB
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    really cool. totally gonna buy this! im not getting an activation dialog with the beta though. it just works right away. am i missing something there?