Replies

• RictusGrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still getting the same error, can't find the Visual Studio. :(
    I extracted to desktop as you recommended. Running the 64 bit version

Ndo:
    04:29:45: nDo:INFO: Log Initialized
    04:29:45: nDo:INFO: Failed to locate visual studio runtime 2010: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\VC\VCRedist\x64
    04:29:45: nDo:INFO: Getting PS Version through running instance
    04:29:45: nDo:INFO: Found compatible photoshop version ( application version ): .55(12.1.0)
    04:29:45: nDo:INFO: DataReadPath:C:\Users\Me\Desktop\nDo\data
    04:29:45: nDo:INFO: DataWritePath:C:\Users\Me\Desktop\nDo\data

Now when running the 32bit version of Ndo with the 64bit v of PS, Ndo does not give me the Visual Studio error but tells me Photoshop is not linked to it and crashes after I select New Normal
    04:39:12: nDo:INFO: Log Initialized
    04:39:12: nDo:INFO: Found valid visual studio 2010 runtime (C++) : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\VC\VCRedist\x86
    04:39:12: nDo:INFO: Getting PS Version through running instance
    04:39:12: nDo:INFO: Found compatible photoshop version ( application version ): .55(12.1.0)
    04:39:12: nDo:INFO: DataReadPath:C:\Users\Me\Desktop\nDo\data
    04:39:12: nDo:INFO: DataWritePath:C:\Users\Me\Desktop\nDo\data
    04:39:14: nDo:INFO: Initializing Previewer...
    04:39:14: nDo:INFO: Found primary screen width size 1920x1200.
    04:39:14: nDo:INFO: Selection rectangle created.
    04:39:14: nDo:INFO: Parsing XAML...
    04:39:14: nDo:INFO: Initializing Renderer...
    04:39:14: nDo:INFO: 3D Environment created: True
    04:39:14: nDo:INFO: Done
    04:39:14: nDo:INFO: Done
    04:39:14: nDo:INFO: Setting up context menu
    04:39:14: nDo:INFO: Shader watcher initialized.
    04:39:14: nDo:INFO: Settings watcher initialized.
    04:39:14: nDo:INFO: PS Cache watcher initialized.
    04:39:14: nDo:INFO: Log watcher initialized.
    04:39:14: nDo:INFO: Delegates initialized
    04:39:14: nDo:INFO: Gradient Window Created
    04:39:14: nDo:INFO: Done initializing previewer
    04:39:15: nDo:INFO: Loaded context 'C:\Users\Me\Desktop\nDo\data\Context\nDoContext1.xml'.
    04:39:15: nDo:INFO: Resized 3D Window: -1,-1
    04:39:24: nDo:ERROR: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800401F3): Invalid class string (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800401F3 (CO_E_CLASSSTRING))

at System.RuntimeType.GetTypeFromProgIDImpl(String progID, String server, Boolean throwOnError)

at EHManaged.QuixelPSWrapper.GetActionDescriptor()

at EHManaged.PhotoshopCustomFunctions.SetAppUnits(String rulerUnits, String typeUnits)

04:40:06: nDo:INFO: Loaded context 'C:\Users\Me\Desktop\nDo\data\Context\c12805a3-918c-4394-a005-0829fbd6231f.xml'.

It's interesting to note that there are two different paths returned in the Ndo error logos 32 bit and 64 bit for Visual Studio
    64bit: 04:29:45: nDo:INFO: Failed to locate visual studio runtime 2010: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\VC\VCRedist\x64
    32bit: 04:39:12: nDo:INFO: Found valid visual studio 2010 runtime (C++) : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\VC\VCRedist\x86
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    still does the same...
    i feel that its the installation path thats causing the error...

first off i am german, hence my software folder is called "Programme"
    though i dont got "/Microsoft" in there, rather "/Microsoft Visual Studio"
    just to make sure i am not reporting falsei nfos here, i got a lot of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable installed in my programs and applications list in windows, is that correct?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    hmm the last version have my the VS runtime not found error but still worked perfect anyways and this version gives me that error than does nothing.

was using the 64bit version and my ndo.log dosnt really give much info but the obvious.
    08:17:40: nDo:INFO: Log Initialized
    08:17:40: nDo:INFO: Failed to locate visual studio runtime 2010: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\VC\VCRedist\x64
    08:17:41: nDo:INFO: Getting PS Version through running instance
    08:17:41: nDo:INFO: Found compatible photoshop version ( application version ): .12(12.0.0)
    08:17:41: nDo:INFO: DataReadPath:C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\nDo\data
    08:17:41: nDo:INFO: DataWritePath:C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\nDo\data

i after running it it did generate a other 7 logs, so would you like to see what was outputted to any of those and if yes which ones would you like to see.

this happened with your latest ndo2 release, on PS 12 64bit on win7 64bit.

i have installed the VS runtime multiple times from the link provided in the error message, which i should have already had in the first place since i have Visual Studio 2010 installed already for my own work.
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RictusGrin, passerby & xXm0RpH3usXx:
    My apologies for inflicting all of this trouble. I greatly appreciate your reporting, your logs are invaluable. You are all bug-tracking heroes as far as I'm concerned.

As an interesting test, do all of you get these errors if you run the x86 version of nDo2 with the x86 version of Photoshop (making sure the VS2010 x86 is installed)? This might just do the trick for you, I'm staying tuned to find out!

xXm0RpH3usXx,
    You are correct, these restributables should appear in your Programs and Applications list. Thanks for mentioning you're running a German version of Windows, we'll investigate if localization plays part in your problem.

RictusGrin,
    Awesome report. As mentioned above, try running x86 nDo2 with x86 PS. Just an FYI, mixing x86 PS with x64 nDo2 or vice versa does not work! The differing paths are indeed interesting, and the x64 one indicates it hasn't been found as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is missing. The line we found especially interesting in your log was:
    04:29:45: nDo:INFO: Failed to locate visual studio runtime 2010: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\VC\VCRedist\x 64

There is a space between x and 64 in ...\VCRedist\x 64 -- is this just a formatting glitch from copy-pasting, or does the log actually output this? If so we could be on to something here.
  • RictusGrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teddy, That is the actual log, copied and pasted.

Wont be till Saturday till I can get back to testing this.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tried useing it with x86, and it actully didnt give me the VS runtime error and fired up my x64 version of photoshop since it is the olny one i got installed. and it works.

and with the x64 one i know it crashes sometime after it checks and calls PS in since it will give me the VS error than fire PS up then die out.

could the problem be having multiple versions, i went to check for VS runtimes in add/remove programs and i have all of this

screens_20110916134812.png
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tried the beta at home now, too, win7 x64 and ps cs5 x64 and same error >.<

here is my screen if that helps in any way:
    visualcscreen.jpg
  • RictusGrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have the same thing as Passerby and xXm0RpH3usXx
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for the screens and information! Out of curiosity, has anyone of you tried running PS x86, then launching nDo2 x86? This can potentially make nDo2 work for you, while waiting for the fix (it's coming!).
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for the screens and information! Out of curiosity, has anyone of you tried running PS x86, then launching nDo2 x86? This can potentially make nDo2 work for you, while waiting for the fix (it's coming!).

i dont got 32bit PS installed but the latest x86 ndo works with my 64bit PS just fine, the 64bit ndo just doesn't work at all.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont have x32 installed either, and using the x32.exe didnt work out aswell >.<
  • RictusGrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im in the same boat as xXm0RpH3usXx. No 32 bit installed and using x32.exe crashes (see my prev. explanation).
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for the sake of ease, call me morph plz
    guess its kinda annoying to write that haxxor stuff all the time :P
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Seems like a lot of people have this problem. A few of my friends were trying to figure it out as well. Hopefully there will be a fix out soon. :)

Keep up the great work! :)
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just to let you know: we're still working full speed on this, and are hoping to have a new release out early next week with a full-fledged installer taking care of all of these issues.

For now, we're building a new intermediate release for you, finally addressing the VS runtime error. It's compiling as we speak, I'll keep you posted. Thank you all for your patience!
  • RictusGrin
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright guys, here comes the weekend mini-release! Hopefully this should get you going again. We threw in a few extra treats while at it :)

Download nDo2 BETA v0.0.3.2
    • VS Runtime crash fix
    • Fixed crash when loading Megavolume preset
    • Improved crash logging (Note: logs are temporarily saved in nDo/data/logs)
    • Zipping normals now much faster
    • AO tiling support for non-nDo2 normal maps
    Let me know how this works for you! Meanwhile, we're 100% focused on getting the installer ready for you.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    works perfect teddy fireed it up in 64bit mode no VS errors and i worked on some materials for a udk scene and it works great zipping is noticeable faster which is shaveing off a lot of time in my workflow.

thanks
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    just installed new version, but i still get this upon startup:
    Visual Studio 2010 Runtime is missing. Download it (x86 or x64) by clicking "Get Runtime".

Press OK to close nDo2. 

More Info: Failed to locate visual studio runtime 2010: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\VC\VCRedist\x64

and here's the log:
    20:02:08: nDo:INFO: Log Initialized
    20:02:08: nDo:INFO: Failed to locate visual studio runtime 2010: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\VC\VCRedist\x64
    20:02:12: nDo:INFO: Getting PS Version through running instance
    20:02:12: nDo:INFO: Found compatible photoshop version ( application version ): .12(12.0.0)
    20:02:12: nDo:INFO: DataReadPath:D:\software\nDo\data
    20:02:12: nDo:INFO: DataWritePath:D:\software\nDo\data

basically this means i just can't open nDo, so that's a problem :p
    my photoshop version is CS5 X64, running on windows 7 Ultimate X64.

what i find strange is that the program goes searching for visual studio in a folder that doesn't exist...
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    work like a charm now!

but could you please make it not stay on top all the time?
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    work like a charm now!

but could you please make it not stay on top all the time?

did you do something special? i just extracted the nDo folder on top of my old folder and had it replace all the files.
  • RictusGrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Teddy, Well no more Visual Studio run errors but Photoshop is still not connecting to it, and I still crash with the error "Failed to execute command to photoshop, indicating a failed connection to Photoshop.".

I get the NEW NORMAL UI, and the 3d primitive renders correctly but then it crashes.
    15:06:49: nDo:INFO: Log Initialized
    15:06:49: nDo:INFO: Getting PS Version through running instance
    15:06:49: nDo:INFO: Found compatible photoshop version ( application version ): .55(12.1.0)
    15:06:49: nDo:INFO: DataReadPath:C:\Users\Me\Desktop\nDo\data
    15:06:49: nDo:INFO: DataWritePath:C:\Users\Me\Desktop\nDo\data
    15:06:51: nDo:INFO: Initializing Previewer...
    15:06:51: nDo:INFO: Found primary screen width size 1920x1200.
    15:06:51: nDo:INFO: Selection rectangle created.
    15:06:51: nDo:INFO: Parsing XAML...
    15:06:51: nDo:INFO: Initializing Renderer...
    15:06:51: nDo:INFO: 3D Environment created: True
    15:06:51: nDo:INFO: Done
    15:06:52: nDo:INFO: Done
    15:06:52: nDo:INFO: Setting up context menu
    15:06:52: nDo:INFO: Shader watcher initialized.
    15:06:52: nDo:INFO: Settings watcher initialized.
    15:06:52: nDo:INFO: PS Cache watcher initialized.
    15:06:52: nDo:INFO: Log watcher initialized.
    15:06:52: nDo:INFO: Delegates initialized
    15:06:52: nDo:INFO: Gradient Window Created
    15:06:52: nDo:INFO: Done initializing previewer
    15:06:52: nDo:INFO: Ensure correct context
    15:06:52: nDo:INFO: Loaded context 'C:\Users\Me\Desktop\nDo\data\Context\nDoContext1.xml'.
    15:06:52: nDo:INFO: Reloading settings
    15:06:52: nDo:INFO: Found settings file: C:\Users\Me\Desktop\nDo\Data\Settings\nDoApplication.xml
    15:06:52: nDo:INFO: Force rendering
    15:06:52: nDo:INFO: ViewModel...
    15:06:52: nDo:INFO: Done...
    15:06:52: nDo:INFO: Showing previewer
    15:06:53: nDo:INFO: Resized 3D Window: -1,-1
    15:07:09: nDo:INFO: Loaded context 'C:\Users\Me\Desktop\nDo\data\Context\37ff498b-e566-43f5-ae34-b22f14d1336f.xml'.
    15:06:52: fbxloader:INFO: FBX version number for this FBX SDK is 7.2.0
    15:06:52: fbxloader:INFO: FBX version number for file C:\Users\Me\Desktop\nDo\data\FBX\plane.fbx is 6.1.0
    15:06:52: fbxloader:INFO: FBX version number for file C:\Users\me\Desktop\nDo\data\FBX\cube.fbx is 6.1.0
    15:06:52: fbxloader:INFO: FBX version number for file C:\Users\Me\Desktop\nDo\data\FBX\sphere.fbx is 6.1.0
    15:06:52: fbxloader:INFO: FBX version number for file C:\Users\Me\Desktop\nDo\data\FBX\cylinder.fbx is 6.1.0
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby,
    Thanks for letting us know! I'm happy you're benefiting from the zipping speed boost.

morph,
    Glad it works for you now! You can actually toggle the topmost behaviour -- just go to File>Preferences>UI and uncheck "Always on top".

MaVCArt,
    This is strange. I assume you have installed the VS x64 runtime? What happens if you extract to an entirely new location? Thanks for your report and for providing the log. We're having a look.

RictusGrin,
    We're closing in on your issue now! Something is blocking your Photoshop from connecting with nDo2. Do you have any antivirus software running, perhaps blocking application intercommunication?
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt,
    This is strange. I assume you have installed the VS x64 runtime? What happens if you extract to an entirely new location? Thanks for your report and for providing the log. We're having a look.

yep, i installed it:

v1etI.jpg

i'm not sure what exactly is causing this though...

also, i tried running nDo from a completely different location (i deleted the old folder, created a new folder and put the new nDo2 version IN that folder, but on the same hard drive as before, which is a different one from where photoshop is installed. (photoshop is on my C disk, nDo is on my D disk, maybe that's what's causing it?) i'll try running nDo from my C, i'll get back to you on that.

edit: same thing with nDo on the same hard drive as photoshop (i put it in program files)
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe thats got something to do with your uac?
    i think on win7 u need administration right to run something from /program files
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe thats got something to do with your uac?
    i think on win7 u need administration right to run something from /program files

yeah no that doesn't have anything to do with it, it does exactly the same from the D disk, and it ran fine before, but it just stopped working at some point. i don't know why, it just did :(
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt,

It seems you are running the previous version of the nDo2 beta. We have completely redundified this check, it is no longer part of the code. I don't know how this has happened for you since you evidently downloaded the latest version. Please download again, and make sure you extract from the right zip file -- perhaps you accidentally opened up an old one?
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i tried redownloading and indeed everything works :) i still think it strange though, because i am 100% sure that i opened up the version i had just downloaded... but it works so no problems there :p

thanks man, i love this application!
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm very glad to hear it MaVCArt!

The first draft of the installer is now in place:

Download the nDo2 beta installer now!

installer.jpg

By running the installer you are guaranteed to have all the prerequisites to run nDo2. All upcoming releases should now be a little bit smoother to get up and running. :)Note: nDo2 is auto-installed to C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\Application Data\Quixel\nDo2, as here no admin rights are required.

If you still experience issues after having run this installer, it's almost certainly related to nDo2-PS connection -- this release is an important step towards trapping this bug, so we can eradicate it once and for all.

- Teddy
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    strangely enough, although it works on my home computer i tried at my work station and it insta crashes on startup... :(

its the same os (win7 x64) and same ps (cs5)
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The installer stopped my crashing problem so thats great!

I have a strange problem though. At home Everything works perfect but at my computer at work i dont get the preview cube and i cant use any presets for a photo normalmap without getting funky ressults.

Workstation Specs:

Win7 64-bit
    Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.80 GHz
    12 gig Ram
    DX 11
    NVIDIA GTX 465 with latest drivers
    Photoshop CS3 x86

Examlpe image:
    photoFail.jpg

any idea why this happens?
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stertman,
    Thanks for the specs and images!

Regarding your Photonormal issue -- this is most likely because you have kept a copy of your source photo at the bottom of your document. This is a known issue -- simply hide your source photo copy before applying the preset to avoid this problem. A fix for this is coming!

morph & Stertman,
    These issues are tricky to tackle. If possible, for us to get a better idea of where it explodes, would it be possible to send me your logs at your earliest convenience? PM or mail (teddy.bergsman [at] gmail.com) would be perfect. Thanks again for the reports!
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    is it impossible or am i just missing something? im trying to extract height and diffuse data from baked normal maps but i can't figure out how to get an external normal map into ndo and convert it to something other than ao.
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi divi! Sorry about the confusion! With the next release you'll be able to extract diffuse information from baked normals. A bunch of other new baked normal specific features are on the way. The height mapper however currently only supports nDo2 normal maps.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    okay, cool :D looking forward to it :)
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just browsed my appdata folder, shouldnt the log be located somewhere there?
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morph,
    Thanks for taking the time. You are correct, the path to the log is: C:\Documents and Settings\YourUser\Application Data\Quixel\nDo2\x64\logs.

A small batch of new user requested features:

Get the installer
    • Easily hook multiple PS documents to any map channels in the previewer -- whenever you save edits to the textures, the previewer will insta-reload
    • Baked normal to nDo2 normal -- makes it easy to combine baked normals with nDo2 normals, and also simplifies getting your baked normals into the previewer. Converts either a single normal layer to nDo2 format, or an entire group of normals. If no nDo2 document has been created before converting, it will be auto-created during the conversion process
    • Support for converting baked normals to diffuse (cavity)
    • Support for blending baked normals
    nDo2beta2.jpg

Enjoy!
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ morph: I found my logs in C:\Users\fredrik.stertman\AppData\Roaming\Quixel\nDo2\x64\logs
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i took the startup - run %appdata% shortcut, went into quixel/ndo2/x64 but there is no folder in there...
    just the .exe and some other files (22 all in all)
    i just tried to open ndo2 again, as i thought that maybe restarting killed the log, but no luck with that either.

i even ticked "show hidden folders" in my system settings

btw, this is cs3 here at work, shouldnt be a problem, right?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Sweet! Sounds like a great release! Will check it out now. :)
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stertman,
    Thanks for pointing to the right directory. The path I posted is specific to XP users, it turns out. Sorry about that!

morph,
    I see. You are correct, CS3 should not be a problem. I suppose you have all the latest graphic drivers and such? Since you are experiencing an insta-crash, the logger probably fails to even start (no logs are ever deleted). In the ...\Quixel\nDo2\ folder, do you see "bootstrap.log"?

Thanks a bunch guys!
  • purkie103
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey i put a thread on your forum any reason why normal to heightmap is making a tiny heightmap?
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no, no bootstrap.log in there, sry...

windows tells me that i got the latest drivers installed, too!
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    going to have a play with it, see if i can make some Starcraft textures :)
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    purkie103,
    I've written to you in your thread, but I'll post here as well. This is very strange, I'm sorry about the hassle. Could you mail me your PSD? I'll try to reproduce your error and come up with a fix for this issue. My personal mail is teddy.bergsman [at] gmail.com. We'll solve this!

morph,
    Dang it! This one will be tricky to debug remotely. I'm wondering if it could be an aggressive firewall or antivirus application causing this crash? I've got little clue where to begin tracking this issue down! Does your crash message say anything of value?
  • purkie103
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet ill e-mail it to you now. if you need specs im running
    windows 7 64 bit
    AMD Phenom II 1055T Six Core
    4GB Ram
    AMD 5770 Graphics
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried with having Avira turned off, nothing got better...

I'm sending you the problem signature as PM, dunno if there is anything of value in there which i dont want to be public :)

edit: seems like i am missing a .dll?
  • purkie103
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    E-mail is sent i had been having problems with running the x64 version and its ran today and converted the normal fine but then i tested it using the x86 version and its still got the problems so i might just be a bug with that version
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Program consistently crashes for me every time I boot it up. Sometimes I can see the previewer for a half second before it crashes. Typical old "this program has stopped working" message that windows usually spits out.

It used to work after I first installed it, but after a few days it's stopped working. Bummer too, was looking forward to trying it.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ndoerror.jpg

i am getting this when attempting to rename the layer via the window...
    (btw, i just got myself a paypal account just for this :) )