Home General Discussion

Fuck you Lucas, this is just too much!

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7234

totally lost my hard on for a blu-ray star wars box set.

Replies

• [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I must be the only person on earth who dispite this franchise! :P
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    Nice to see over the years he's 'perfecting' his work
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! *sigh*

EDIT: BTW, I know what you think, it can't possibly get any worse...

Well it can... This is GEORGE LUCAS!

http://io9.com/5836283/more-changes-to-the-star-wars-original-trilogy-on-blu+ray-including-the-attack-on-the-death-star
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    george lucas should accept that he is not bob ross.
    (you know the naaaa hes ruining it moment and then it magically fits)
    when lucas rions it its ruined
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    I still don't get why people would want to buy it again just because it's on blu-ray.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    The noise when Obi scares the Sand people away is hilarious.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I still don't get why people would want to buy it again just because it's on blu-ray.

Because its on BluRay :p Plus, I've bought the saga about 5 or 6 times now over the years, one more can't hurt.

It shocks me how George can't see that the most laughed at, joked about moment in all six films was the Vader "Nooo!" scene, yet... Here he is, pretty much copying it and sticking it where it doesn't belong... Does he really not see what hes doing? I'm all for a few changes here and there, like the Ewok one isn't that bad at all, or fixing the wonky lightsabers in the original, but this just stands out too much...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    At this point I think he's just baiting the fans. He knows they'll buy it anyway so why not? I'd probably do the same thing in his shoes.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13

Because it's got new extra material, a lot of ot deleted scenes among other things;
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLH0L8v5iq4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLH0L8v5iq4[/ame]

Is there gonna be an unaltered version in this Blu-ray release too? The DVD release had both.

Edit:
    I remember now, the initial release of the OT trilogy were all altered. There was however a second release which included the unaltered version. Maybe there will be a second blu-ray release.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    rumours are that the blu ray release is 9 discs.
    6 for the films, 3 for special features.
    there will be no "original cut" included.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I wonder how screwed up the ROTJ ending will be THIS TIME AROUND.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    How can... I just dont understand...seriously... that was like the worst scene at the end of a film ever.

This isnt it but its supposed to be close.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGaSxSuB2vY[/ame]

How can anyone think that is better. Lucas is insane they need to commit him before he does any more damage.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    looks like the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trilogy-Widescreen-Collectors-Laser/dp/B000EDQCC8]Laserdisc[/ame] release is still the definitive version.

I'd really like to know what the deal is with Lucas, does he only shine when budgets and producers keep him in check? There is a good quality he adds if you consider his earlier movies - the kind of adventurous pulpy feel to things.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    seriously, who cares? can't be as bad ET
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    hawken wrote: »
    seriously, who cares? can't be as bad ET

well, there were rumors that we would get the original unedited footage on the bluray release. It's a shame that he's replaced alot of spectacular miniature FX shots, they were held up in film & fx schools for over 30 years as great work that withstood the test of time, the shoddy 3d replacements already look dated; especially in HD - barrffff!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I'd probably do the same thing in his shoes.

What, shit in them? :P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's all part of his evil plan to re-re-re-re-release the unedited originals in a mega-collector-boxset, that comes wrapped in actual ewok fur.

I can only think that he sits in his spacious basement, tissue boxes on his feet and nails longer than he is tall, watching the originals over and over again laughing that no one will ever see them again until 3015.

Go fuckin do something else Lucas.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCjIjsZp_Y[/ame]
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Ninja admin edit: C'mon.

---

wut? what did I say? O.o
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it ain't broke....
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    well, there were rumors that we would get the original unedited footage on the bluray release. It's a shame that he's replaced alot of spectacular miniature FX shots, they were held up in film & fx schools for over 30 years as great work that withstood the test of time, the shoddy 3d replacements already look dated; especially in HD - barrffff!

I totally agree. Back in the 90s when I first saw the films, I was blown away. I can still look back at those original versions with the model shots and crude film-etched special effects and appreciate just how good they are. Modern CG somehow rarely seems to hold up to the same standards, even though it should be lightyears ahead.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »

You're not alone, I hate Star Wars too.

Enough so that I changed jobs to stop working on a Star Wars game.
  • Baaaah!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baaaah! polycounter lvl 10
    I think the Obi-Wan cry, should be moved to the Emperor's scream when Vader throws him down that shaft :P
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Wait, people still care about physical storage formats? Blu-Ray is just an anachronism. It will be the last physical format and everything will eventually be distributed digitally, directly to our media devices.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    That's going to take a while, we're still running on shitty 4mb connections here.

And the goddamn data caps..don't forget those.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    im sure Lucas is laughing his ass off at all this.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Andreas wrote: »
    What, shit in them? :P
    And thus the thread was won.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    [HP] wrote: »

Not the only one. I'm so sick of star wars, and all of it's spin offs, they could replace all the actors with talking assholes and I couldn't care less. I don't mean anything against the fans of the series, I've just had this whole thing spoiled for me by having to live with a super fan.

The originals were fantastic, and will stay great in my memory. I never need to see them again. Just like a lot of other things I don't want to revisit cause they're better in my head than anywhere else. Transformers, G.I. Joe, Thundercats, Star Blazers, Robotech, all those old things I loved as a kid. Some can stand the test of time, but I don't want to ruin their memory by looking at them today.

Nostalgiacide is a terrible thing. Avoid it
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar wrote: »
    Wait, people still care about physical storage formats? Blu-Ray is just an anachronism. It will be the last physical format and everything will eventually be distributed digitally, directly to our media devices.
    Maybe I'm a material dinosaur but I still want somethings in physical form that are easily accessible. So far the model has been rental and not ownership based and because of that its pretty annoying. I have access to 1000's of movies sure but if its not the one I want to watch whats the point.

I'm all for steam/cloud based systems and digital distribution so long as you own it outright and can play it without needing to be tethered in some way.

I do agree that Blu-Ray is probably headed to an early death before it pays off the battle it fought with HD-DVDs. It won't be as depressing as Betamax but I do think the pile of bodies it climbed wasn't worth it if they had had a little more foresight and fully embraced digital distribution.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    greevar wrote: »

While you're waiting for 'eventually' to happen, I'm going to queue up the 1080p extended edition Fellowship of the Ring on my PS3 :)
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    SupRore? where you at? not gonna come in here and throw down again? let's roll son! :-P

My opinion is shit, and this is what it is: If I make a painting and hang it in a gallery, it is considered done. Finished. I don't go back and change it. I may not be happy with some things; I will always find the imperfections. This is called being self critical and is important for every artist. I do however respect the fact that while I will always find flaws in my own work, there will be people out there that love it for exactly what it is, and I have no desire to take that away from them (as tempting as it may be sometimes). If you present your work in a fashion that is intended to showcase the final product (e.g. movie screen, video game, art gallery, etc.) then the only right you have to it is to call it your own. Unless you signed an NDA, then it's not fucking yours at all :-P Just because you CAN do something, does not mean you SHOULD. Everyone that has been to Vegas knows this, disregards it, and comes home with VD or empty wallets.

I honestly feel that if Lucas put as much effort into other work as he does with correcting what he considers to be refinements to flaws of his golden egg, we could have possibly seen some other great scifi/fictional story lines and movies. That is a BIG "possibly" though.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    I'm pretty much convinced Lucas is trolling at this point; these new additions are so unbelievably bad. Maybe he's getting back at his fans for all the prequel hate he's gotten since 1999. At least these tweaks will spawn an new series of hilarious internet memes for us to laugh at.

The last version of the films I bought was the 2008 DVD release that included the original, unedited version of the trilogy. Sure they were included as 'bonus material' almost as an afterthought, they are low quality non-anamorphic transfers, but I still prefer them over any of the other crap versions released over the years. That was also the last piece of Star Wars merchandise I will ever buy. DIAF Lucas.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Why dose Lucas keep ruining what I love!

Still going to buy it like a sucker though as I never actually bought any of the films otherwise.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ So who is this Lucas fella? I keep hearing about him? Is he like the original Jedi or something?
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    im sure Lucas is laughing his ass off at all this.

I know I am.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    “People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians”

- George Lucas
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    there will be no "original cut" included

129053715554.jpg

I....eh...

Lucas...

dude

seriously
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe I'm a material dinosaur but I still want somethings in physical form that are easily accessible. So far the model has been rental and not ownership based and because of that its pretty annoying. I have access to 1000's of movies sure but if its not the one I want to watch whats the point.

I'm all for steam/cloud based systems and digital distribution so long as you own it outright and can play it without needing to be tethered in some way.

I do agree that Blu-Ray is probably headed to an early death before it pays off the battle it fought with HD-DVDs. It won't be as depressing as Betamax but I do think the pile of bodies it climbed wasn't worth it if they had had a little more foresight and fully embraced digital distribution.

Well, in my opinion, they should give up on selling copies and turn it into usage based system. You pay for access to a private peer-to-peer (bit torrent style) network they (the movie studios) administer, which keeps the overhead costs down. Seeders get discounts (they keep your network costs down), leechers have to pay extra on top of basic access. The access fees go to the studios and the leechers pay for the extra server load. It encourages users to share their bandwidth because they get cheaper media that's guaranteed to be free of malicious software and get faster downloads.

The downside to this is that ISPs like to play the "excessive use" game. It would require some form of control that would make it harder for them to limit usage and create incentive for them to expand capacity, capacity which is experiencing stagnant investment in many markets to protect legacy services such as cable TV and land line phones.

On topic:

I think the new dialog is just an impotent attempt (and quite lame in terms of entertainment value) at justifying yet another version of Star Wars and pretend that is has added value. I doubt this will sell very well, except for the drones that buy everything that is touched by Lucas and those that must have HD quality, plus extra content. Anybody who is happy with the copies they already have will not be rushing out to buy this.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Greevar, question:

if seeders get a discount, and leechers have to pay extra, then who pays a regular amount?

edit:
    by the way, i fall into the catagory of; i don't currently own a star wars box set and only have one movie on disc.
    i would have liked to have gotten the full set on blu-ray, just to have the set. but if he's going to fuck around with the originals some more, i'll just leave it.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greevar, question:

if seeders get a discount, and leechers have to pay extra, then who pays a regular amount?

Well, I mean to say leechers pay full price (access and bandwidth price) and seeders get a discount (discount increases as your share ratio goes up, 1:1 means you don't pay for bandwidth and seeding more than 1:1 will get you a discount on access).
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I already have the DVD set, watched the extra material like once altogether, and I absolutely hate this "Nooo" shit.

I'd be willing to pay nearly the same amount of cash for a pure and simple set of the original versions of the first trilogy on BR, though.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    The better version:

http://youtu.be/LF4YGIg-lZA

(Sorry I don't recall how to post YouTube here?
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    holy crap odium that is hilarious
  • vargatom
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    It's pretty obvious. He is going to re-release the theatrical cut on Bluray in 3 years. He is messing it up now, so he can screw over fans even more and make more money off of them.

I can't believe people still support this hack. The dude is the most greedy son of a bitch in hollywood.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At least he's been investing his money in the transition to digital. You probably wouldn't be able to buy an HD digital camera, record stuff, edit it on a desktop system and then release it in theaters without him.
    I mean you can also do this on a cell phone today, right?! All because he spent the earnings from SW to make Skywalker Sound, Edit Droid, ILM and stuff...
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians...Today, engineers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tomorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with “fresher faces,” or alter dialogue...Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.

~George Lucas [1988]

Irony
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians...Today, engineers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tomorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with “fresher faces,” or alter dialogue...Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.

~George Lucas [1988]

Irony

More like greed.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I dont see why Bluray is considered doomed ? It is a fantastic format, crystal clear, and gives me the chance to really feel like being in a movie theater - especially when watching classic movies that I never had the chance to see in such conditions.

Instead of buying each and every movie on BRD (like we used to do with DVDs) I just buy the ones that really matter to me. Even if the price tag is high, in the end it turns out cheaper - I simply stream the rest.

On a related note : for some reason my PS3 wasnt up to date and refused to play District9 the other day. As a backup I watched it on Netflix HD, and yes, there is a difference. Regardless of resolution, compression and bitrate play a huge role. I dont think we will see an exact streamed equivalent to HD BRD quality anytime soon...

As for StarWars - why not grabbing the rips of the recent HDTV broadcasts ? Sure enough they are the Special Edition ones but that's not too bad (besides the Endor scene with the WRONG Anakin ghost...)
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    I dont see why Bluray is considered doomed ? It is a fantastic format, crystal clear, and gives me the chance to really feel like being in a movie theater - especially when watching classic movies that I never had the chance to see in such conditions.

Instead of buying each and every movie on BRD (like we used to do with DVDs) I just buy the ones that really matter to me. Even if the price tag is high, in the end it turns out cheaper - I simply stream the rest.

On a related note : for some reason my PS3 wasnt up to date and refused to play District9 the other day. As a backup I watched it on Netflix HD, and yes, there is a difference. Regardless of resolution, compression and bitrate play a huge role. I dont think we will see an exact streamed equivalent to HD BRD quality anytime soon...

As for StarWars - why not grabbing the rips of the recent HDTV broadcasts ? Sure enough they are the Special Edition ones but that's not too bad (besides the Endor scene with the WRONG Anakin ghost...)

Han shot first.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Haha thats right, this one is so stupid I almost forgot about it :D Gotta admit that it's always a good source of fun discussions tho :D

I wonder ... if the real, real originals have been released on DVD already, how hard would it be to inject the "true" original theatrical segments (Han shooting, vaseline Landspeeder effect, orignal crowd scenes, and so on) within the HDTV 1080i versions ? A good upscaled DVD frame could look very good, especially if it's just a matter of a few seconds ...

Someone please do it!!