Home Technical Talk

Cry Engine 3 Tutorial - 3ds Max Custom Models and Textures

I know most of the users on this forum are experienced, but just in case any beginners come looking for help. I would also appreciate any crit from experienced users. If you like the videos please take a second to visit our site. More tutorials, active discussion, contests and free prizes at our website, www.justmakegames.com. Thanks.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl92y4c9SLk[/ame]

Replies

• yamahaalex37
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since there are lots of experienced people in this forum, I would REALLY appreciate it if somone could review my tutorial.

To be honest, when I exported my model in the tutorial you can see I had an error in the engine. When I went to place my model, everything worked fine except I could not get rid of the "No Surface Texture" when shooting my model (yes I know to apply surface materials). After I went back in the editor, I kind of just re-double check everything, and then it worked fine so I didn't mention it in the video. Hopefully this video does not translate to errors for users :/ IF you do have 3ds max, or can tell from watching the video, maybe you can let me know. Thanks!!
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    Geom entity are for interactive entities with physical value, for any "basic" object it should be bring into the level as a brush.
    That said, most of your tutorial was mostly a 3dsmax than a cryEngine tutorial, quite confusing.
    And then last but not least...why are you doing a tutorial if you are not even sure of the topic you are trying to cover? O.o
  • yamahaalex37
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow wrote: »
    Geom entity are for interactive entities with physical value, for any "basic" object it should be bring into the level as a brush.
    That said, most of your tutorial was mostly a 3dsmax than a cryEngine tutorial, quite confusing.
    And then last but not least...why are you doing a tutorial if you are not even sure of the topic you are trying to cover? O.o

Yeah unfortunately I know a lot of people asking for the tutorial are beginners, and I put the annotation so that anyone who models can easily skip that part.

I might not be an expert but I can do this, so why can't I shouldn't I share what I learn? Especially when there is one tutorial for this at the moment and it is long and confusing. Making a video can take hours and since people were asking for the video and I could not find anything wrong I decided to re-take it.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    I don't think that's what EzMeow meant at all. I see no problem in trying to help others.

But when helping people you want to give them the right info. As simple as that really.
  • yamahaalex37
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I'm sorry I didn't mean to get defensive.

When I got the error, I just double checked my work and the error was gone, and I didn't really do anything... so I guess will just have to wait and see when more beginners try the tutorial.
  • yamahaalex37
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow you were right it was stupid to release the video since I was unsure. Also, it was stupid to have that much 3ds modeling in the tutorial, it was confusing. I remade the video and simplified everything, and made sure everything worked perfect.

I just really wanted to make this video, because when I went to find a 3ds tutorial the only one was 3 parts long so over half an hour, and a bit confusing. This video is 6 minutes long and hopefully will help beginners.