Home General Discussion

Booze.

Alright, booze/mixed drink recipe thread.

Whiskey sour:

(I make this in a small measuring cup)
1 oz soda water(~3/4 shot)
0.75 oz simple syrup (half shot)
0.75 oz fresh lemon juice (half shot)
1.5 oz whiskey of your choice (1 shot)

Mix, and then poor over highball glass filled with ice.

Simple syrup is dead easy to make:

2 parts sugar
1 part water
Heat in pan, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to boil.

Done!

"Sour mix" is just some combination of lemon juice and simple syrup, don't buy the pre-mixed stuff as its dead easy to make, and you control the proportions(some drinks call for different proportions).

Fresh squeezed lemon juice is great, but you can also use this stuff(found in freezer section, by juice): 51tUz5PM44L._SS280_.jpg

Do not use the reconstituted stuff, though:
041409000055.jpg

Replies

• Pedro Amorim
  • EarthQuake
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    scotch and soda!

put some whisky in a glass, then some soda. mmmm
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like daiquiris.

I just mix simple sugar syrup with rum and lime or lemon juice. BAM!
    DAIQUIRI!

i usually adjust the mixes cause i like like with a nice acidic falvour. SO MUCH LIMON PARA MI!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    two girls one cup!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    50-75% Oj
    +
    25%-50% Grey Goose(Vodka)
    =
    Screw driver
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol grey goose in a mixed drink, what is the point of good vodka if you're mixing it?

Good Vodka = for martinis

gray-goose-1111.jpg

+

sunny_delight250.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. wrote: »
    two girls one cup!

too chunky, but I like the way you think lol
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    How to make a Vodka martini:

You will need:
    4 parts good Vodka (I am partial to Chopin, which is a potato vodka)
    1 part Dry Vermouth (the white vermouth)
    Cocktail olives, I like to mix it up with different ones stuffed with things.
    A shaker
    Some ice
    Toothpicks

Fill the shaker partially with ice. Measure and pour Vodka into shaker. Measure and pour Vermouth into the sink. Shake vigorously and pour immediately into martini glass.

Garnish with up to 3 olives on a single toothpick.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    How to make a Vodka martini:
    Measure and pour Vermouth into the sink.

I've seen this before but it seems a little confusing how you've written it, if I were to follow these directions I would end up with no Vermouth in my drink, instead of a very small amount, which I believe is the intention. Unless this is just an "LOL no vermouth" joke.

I like a little more Vermouth in my Martinis, but I can't remember the proportions off hand, and generally suck at making Martini's. I prefer dirty Martinis though, but those seem even harder to make properly.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Take EQ's recipe. Pour whiskey. Ignore other ingredients. Grow chest hair. ;)
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol starting to think PC is nothing but a bunch of alcoholics =)

I like SAKE and beer mainly.. I don't like much mixed drinks.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I just drink anything and everything in sight. Oh is that plant food in that jar. Fuck it I'm all in!

Grey Goose 40%, Apple Pucker 30%, Mt Dew 30% over Ice. Quite nice. Tastes like a Jolly Rancher

Malibu Coconut Rum, Malibu Pineapple Rum, Grey Goose, Dole's Orange, Pineapple, Banana Juice, Bit of ice

Spotted Cow beer (available only in Wisconsin)

Irish Car Bombs

Jager Bombs
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    me dont drink!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Poor Man's bloody mary:

Water, ketchup, ice, pickle juice, couple dashes Worcestershire sauce, olive, garlic salt (disolves well), frank's red hot, whatever hard stuff you have left over from the night before.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg wrote: »
    Take EQ's recipe. Pour whiskey. Ignore other ingredients. Grow chest hair. ;)

If I'm going to drink straight up booze, I prefer:

Grand Marnier (1 shot)
    Highball with a few ice cubes

Patron Citronge is a cheap alternative if you don't mind tequila.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    -nothin to see here-
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    1800's martini: equal parts dry vermouth and gin, olives on a stick.

I find a good dirty martini has about 5-6oz vodka, 1/2 oz vermouth and 1/2 - 1 oz olive brine and 2-3 olives. (depending on your martini glass' size.)

Also, capt Morgans black is good straight up or on the rocks. Mixing it is just a waste.
    Same for Blue Ice potato vodka.

Edit: also I don't recommend this, unless as a gag on a friend but: 4oz red Hawaiian punch, 4 oz mountain dew, and smirnoff tastes like robutussen..
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    the-kraken-black-spiced-rum.jpg

Tried this rum out the other day.. 47% :P

It was pretty tasty.. mixed with coke and some ice of course.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    I keep going back to Crown Royal + whatever is available = drink!

Me = unimaginative :)
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I usually go for jack on the rocks or if im out at a club just a double rum and coke.

for spiced rums I prefer sailor jerry's over captain Mo' its not quite as sugary sweet and still has that spiced taste.

then ofcourse there is 151.....when you need to take it to the next level haha.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I've seen this before but it seems a little confusing how you've written it, if I were to follow these directions I would end up with no Vermouth in my drink, instead of a very small amount, which I believe is the intention. Unless this is just an "LOL no vermouth" joke.

I like a little more Vermouth in my Martinis, but I can't remember the proportions off hand, and generally suck at making Martini's. I prefer dirty Martinis though, but those seem even harder to make properly.

it is a joke, you see.

Alternative mixings include:

hold the bottle of vermouth near the glass briefly
    rinse the glass with vermouth
    actually mix 4 parts vodka with 1 part vermouth in the shaker as if you were following a recipe and not measuring vodka dicks with your drink-mixing friends.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    great cold weather camping drink we accidentally made on purpose recently:

Heat up some water on your campfire or camping stove, mix in 1/2 packet instant cider, 1/2 packet crystal light powder, and add rum until it just starts to taste like booze.

mountain boozing ftw

Also, this summer I've been enjoying cutting the top off a pineapple, filling it with rum and a random tropical juice, putting a straw and a little umbrella in it, and drinking it while floating down the merced river on an innertube. The river is a crucial ingredient, though.

Apparently I drink a lot of rum. Hrm.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If I get a mixed drink, I try and do Manhattans. But if I'm not drinking beer, lately it's been Scotch. Here's some of them:

620023x.jpg50279_48473132103_7361417_n.jpg1054787x.jpg
    PeatMonsterBoxBottle_web.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I really like Rye these days. Specifically this one:

SazeracRyePkg.png

Straight up.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Fill an all-leather shoe with Jack (the older the shoe & older the Jack - the better). Seal it in a ziplock freezer bag for at least 24 hours. Pour contents into a glass and add fresh lemon and your favorite turtle urine. Bottoms up! :p
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    At least 50% Captain Morgan, 50% Coke is my drink of choice :)
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ginger ale with vodka is good.

As for whiskies, laphroaig has to be my favorite. Very peaty.

tumblr_lomyjqgAAY1qkjfl3.jpg
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like this little treat now and again, sticks to your ribs.

Liquid Candy:
    1 part Barenjager
    1 part Baileys
    Mix as a double shot.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    There you go Zpanzer :) You are my man. Love jagermeister and the bombs.....love it.
    I cant drink booze straight it has to be mixed up if not i just open a beer.

Here is what I am on now:
    - 50ml Bacardi white rum
    - 25ml Malibu
    - 125ml coke that is shaken separately to loose the fuzz :)
    - slice or two of orange
    - tons of ice :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    bbob wrote: »
    Ginger ale with vodka is good.

As for whiskies, laphroaig has to be my favorite. Very peaty.

tumblr_lomyjqgAAY1qkjfl3.jpg

The Peat Monster I posted above is probably the single post peaty scotch I've ever had. If you like 'em peaty, give it a try if you can.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    2 shots of hennessy cognac + half can of redbull

Rinse repeat till you are bouncing off the walls.
  • Octo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo polycounter lvl 18
    Here's my fav.
    Unfortunately they're pretty much impossible to get a hold of in Sweden.
    I managed to buy half a bottle a few years ago, from a friend whos parents visited Vietnam, but now i fear I will never get to taste it again :/

full_14.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Jack-Daniels-Tennessee-Whiskey-lg.jpg.jpg

+

uXPfcR7ohn1o4ka4mU7EhroDo1_400.jpg
    + (Lego block shape is optional)

ice_2.jpg

ORRR Just cut the crap and drink the jack!
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Jack with a single ice cube (to not dilute it too much over time) is probably my favourite alcoholic drink anyway :)
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I love collecting these bottles because the arts awesome and I've never had a hang over after drinking this.. I don't smoke; I promise....stop judging me....

bong-vodka-netherlands-10155135.jpg
  • Bruno Afonseca
    THIS IS FOR PEOPLE WHO LIKE IT BITTER:

Fernet-Branca-and-Coca-Cola.jpg

Tall glass with ice, some people start with 1 part fernet to 6 parts coke. I do it 1 to 2 though. It's like jagermeister but stronger, less anise, makes your mouth sting. Doesn't give hangovers!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All booze causes hangovers, its a matter of dehydration, not quality or type of alcohol. If you have too much of any booze, and don't properly hydrate, you're going to get a hangover. Some booze may be slightly better or worse, but it all causes hangovers. =D
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Scientifically speaking, you're totally right, but

"Because of its list of ingredients, a number of home remedies call for fernet, including for the treatment of menstrual and gastrointestinal discomfort, hangovers, baby colic, and (formerly) cholera."

Do a google search for fernet + hangover and you'll see. I tried VERY HARD to get hangovered from this and never achieved that.
    It's pure magic! <3
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    All booze causes hangovers, its a matter of dehydration, not quality or type of alcohol. If you have too much of any booze, and don't properly hydrate, you're going to get a hangover. Some booze may be slightly better or worse, but it all causes hangovers. =D

Or if you're like me and your body can't break down alcohol molecules in a timely fashion, then hydration only helps a little!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18

I've seen many beer brewing books talk about fermenting at cooler temperatures to avoid the formation of Fusel alcohol which tastes "hot" and "boozy" and is thought to cause worse hangovers. Wikipedia lists one paper disputing this so... i dunno.

Methanol is a bad type of alcohol as well - that's where you get moonshine blindness.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I only order "Roy Rogers" at bars. Because I'm baller.
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    rumcoke.jpg

A Rum & Coke guy. The private stock is pretty smooth with some vanilla hits and the tattoo has some fruit to it. And mexican coke whenever possible. Tastys.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen many beer brewing books talk about fermenting at cooler temperatures to avoid the formation of Fusel alcohol which tastes "hot" and "boozy" and is thought to cause worse hangovers. Wikipedia lists one paper disputing this so... i dunno.

Methanol is a bad type of alcohol as well - that's where you get moonshine blindness.

Sure, there are a lot of factors involved, but the main thing is simple dehydration. Especially if you're drinking XXX and Coke, soda which is also dehydrating takes a double toll.

The best way to avoid hangovers is to simply have a glass of water between each drink you have. Chugging a Gatorade before you go to bed is also a good idea, as well as taking some ibuprofen

Now, i'm not saying "Dont drink rum & coke", as I enjoy it as much as the next guy, but: If you're going to have 6 rum and cokes, you should have a pretty high water intake to offset the potential hangover.
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not much for mixing. Much prefer to drink things straight, on the rocks usually. Jack and Jameson are probably what I'll drink 90% of the time. For the stuff I really enjoy above else, it's:

absinthe-deva-70-26.jpg

177_127_Woodford-Reserve.gif

EJVSBrandy_lg.jpg

I used to drink this Spanish Absinthe when I was growing up. Can't find the exact brand now, but it looks more or less like the picture. Though I haven't had Absinthe in years since I moved to the states and you can't get it here. So it's just whiskey for me most of the time, sometimes brandy. Never got into Scotch. I guess I never found a good one. I have some Chivas Regal, but can't stand it for some reason.